• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
"Lycanroc? More like LycanLock!" - Delzethin Delzethin 20XX

Maybe this so supposed first party character an Astral Chain character? I don't know their names but the main dude and main chick are pretty generic. Their Robots are pretty cool though.

Or it's a character that was also popular on the Ballot, but less so than the ones on the roster that couldn't be made Echoes.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Bro I just want a Spider-Man 2099 animated movie. They actually managed to make a version of Miles that I liked.

I already really like Miguel. I think there's a lot of potential in a story with him. His journey to slowly become a better person after he became Spider-Man was pretty interesting. Not to mention he takes no prisoners.(Swing TIIIIME) without being too edgy about it.
If the end credits scene is any indication, hopefully we’ll see Miguel in the sequel and who knows what else will come from it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I do think we're getting two reveals at E3 (Erdrick + Some rando)

Don't think we're getting a first party
We're getting Psyduck to promote Detective Pikachu game like how Porky will promote Mother 3 localization.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Someone's jealous they don't have hundreds of thousands of YouTube viewers
I mean, if I had the proper means and motivation to make a career out of it it'd probably be fairly successful judging by my likes. I honestly think Del's not that bad of a Smashtuber in comparison to most of the other options but he's ****ing obsessed with Lycanroc

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If the end credits scene is any indication, hopefully we’ll see Miguel in the sequel and who knows what else will come from it.
Yeah I know about that.

I'm saying Miguel should headline his own movie or cartoon show. Regardless of other Spider-Men showing up or not.

D

Deleted member

Fascinating take of the day, I’ll be back in 2 hours to see what I’ve wrought.
How is "ackshually i knew it all along" a fascinating take?
The only reason Del is saying first party here with this level of confidence is because he cannot let Lycanroc go
Lycanroc: "The crash was 7 months ago, Del, you have to let go"

D

Deleted member

Please don't resort to straw man argument.
Oh, don't worry. I'm just messing around.

I don't think we'd be getting a nobody, as we'd probably get someone pretty big to make up for all the people that'd likely be disappointed by Erdrick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really don’t see how any one first party character fits into the following, unless they’re debuting after Ultimate:

1) Brings entirely new spirits from their series, including at least one for themselves, into a new DLC spirit board

2) Expands the audience of Smash, and fits what Reggie said about the DLC effectively “being characters many wouldn’t expect”. Out of all the characters people expect when it comes to first party, Fire Emblem and Pokémon are literally the most expected you can get.

3) The first party would bring in a new stage, new music, and new possibilities. If they added a Pokémon, for example, why take from a previous generation when we already have a Gen 7 mon, and then have Gen 8 right around the corner?

The only first party that pushes most of those arguments aside is Three Houses, because you get new spirits, new location for a stage, and obviously a new character. The same could be said of Gen 8 Pokémon. But everyone else? Astral chain does as well, but that’s about it.

I’m also convinced spirits and assist trophies disconfirm, even though I formerly wasn’t. So there’s that.

Basically, if the first party doesn’t expand the audience then why add them? The idea is to expand the crossover element of the series, and I just don’t see one, if any character that is marketable, has no prior appearance in Ultimate, and fits the other criteria we’ve been able to speculate about.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't think we'd be getting a nobody, as we'd probably get someone pretty big to make up for all the people that'd likely be disappointed by Erdrick.
ehhhh i'm gonna have to disagree with that

sure we'd be disappointed, because we've known for months. But Japan would be losing their goddamn minds.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

real question is what first party can possibly generate the same hype as persona and japan's literal biggest thing ever

important to remember that the only 1st party newcomer we got in smash 4 DLC was a purely promotional pick no-one was asking for or really expecting

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i really don't think we're getting a first party in this dlc

i legitimately can't think of a single first party that would generate as much hype as joker, banjo, steve, he-who-shall-not-be-named-it's-erdrick-i'm-talking-about-erdrick-sorry-jds, etc

with that said elma's ****ing in

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah. For me it's less self insert(I HATE naming characters after myself in games, I don't know how other people do it.) and more that other mediums have cool characters like Storm, Avdol, Static, Spawn, Prowler and Piccolo.

Most cool black people in games are from fighting games. Dudley, Raven, Eddy Gordo, Christie, Jade, Jax ect. Zasalamel from Soul Calibur might actually be one of the most interesting from a writing standpoint, barring Eddy Gordo who had actual development each game until Tekken 7.

There's reasons why, I mostly think it has to do with demographics, and the majority of countries that develop games are primarily European and Asian, thus a harder sell to have a protag that isn't of a similar ethnicity or a cartoon-y character. This is why we only see the occasional Black Protag, and there's a decent handful in ensemble casts.

Once again Marketing is my enemy.
Honestly it's one of my more recurring criticisms of Fire Emblem as well. For a series with a named cast of over 800 characters, I think less than ten are anything other than White European or vaguely-Japanese (for the Hoshidans and characters like Kamui). Off the top of my head for characters with darker skin...Fiona, Devdan/Danved, Basilio, Flavia, Boey, and Gray. Heroes has Surtr, Laevatein, Laegjarn, and Helbindi as well, but it's ambiguous as to whether or not they have dark skin or are just tanned, considering they basically live in the land of lava and fire.

Honestly that's part of why I really like Basilio and Flavia. They were pretty much the first black characters in the series to have any sort of relevance, and they were great characters too.

Hoping things get at least somewhat better in this regard in the future. Like you said, it's pretty much just fighting games right now.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I mean, if I had the proper means and motivation to make a career out of it it'd probably be fairly successful judging by my likes. I honestly think Del's not that bad of a Smashtuber in comparison to most of the other options but he's ****ing obsessed with Lycanroc
I'll grant that but he's a good dude and does good work.

Don't mind letting him have his holdout all considered.

Plant dancing on fortnite, me waiting being able to pay Noipoi & me wondering if I should share the workI have done on my next OC sprite, or wait until more is done with it.
Niiiiiice. For you and Nopoi both, that's good ****.

If you still feel you have specific things you wanna tweak then I'd tweak em first, otherwise if you just got this general man it doesn't feel done but I don't know what's missing kinda sense then share it and see if the feedback gets you the perspective ya need.

I’m sorry, but I’ve seen it, and now you all shall suffer as well.
Eh.

It's definitely kill-it-with-fire worthy but I ain't suffering staring at it per se.

Noipoi

Howdy!
real question is what first party can possibly generate the same hype as persona and japan's literal biggest thing ever

important to remember that the only 1st party newcomer we got in smash 4 DLC was a purely promotional pick no-one was asking for or really expecting
i really don't think we're getting a first party in this dlc

i legitimately can't think of a single first party that would generate as much hype as joker, banjo, steve, he-who-shall-not-be-named-it's-erdrick-i'm-talking-about-erdrick-sorry-jds, etc

with that said elma's ****ing in
You fools

You ignorant morons

You ****ing ****y **** ****s

How could you forget?

762Steenee_Dream.png

D

Deleted member

sure we'd be disappointed
That's kinda what I meant, or was getting at. Erdrick to please the Japanese fans, while someone else that the West would be interested in could be revealed to make up for all of the people disappointed by Erdrick. So a character for the West and for Japan.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
When I first played sun and moon I did it without the exp share and it was a lot of fun, but I remember there being a crazy difficulty spike at the fourth island. I had to turn on the exp share then if I didn't want to grind.

Pokemon really just needs a hard mode, but knowing game freak they'd probably make it gated behind something stupid. It'd be nice to get some sort of official nuzlocke mode.
Pfft, real men just power through the last island with an underleveled team like I did.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Specifically in hair bones, so this means it'll be Midnight Lycanroc as another Ryu echo but instead of Hadoukens it shoots rocks
jane was actually a female lycanroc with her hair tied into ponytails because she's a good girl

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I really don’t see how any one first party character fits into the following, unless they’re debuting after Ultimate:

1) Brings entirely new spirits from their series, including at least one for themselves, into a new DLC spirit board
2) Expands the audience of Smash, and fits what Reggie said about the DLC effectively “being characters many wouldn’t expect”. Out of the all the characters people expect when it comes to first party, Fire Emblem and Pokémon are literally the most expected you can get.
3) The first party would bring in a new stage, new music, and new possibilities. If they added a Pokémon, for example, why take from a previous generation when we already have a Gen 7 mon, and then have Gen 8 right around the corner.

The only first party that pushes most of those arguments aside is Three Houses, because you get new spirits, new location for a stage, and obviously a new character. The same could be said of Gen 8 Pokémon. But everyone else?

I’m also convinced spirits and assist trophies disconfirm, even though I formerly wasn’t. So there’s that.

Basically, if the first party doesn’t expand the audience then why add them? The idea is to expand the crossover element of the series, and I just don’t see one, if any character that is marketable, has no prior appearance in Ultimate, and fits the other criteria we’ve been able to speculate about.
Assists most likely deconfirm unless someone pulls a Chrom, but I don't know if Spirits are a big deal, I at least hope they aren't because it's just PNGs.

As for 1st Parties, I mentioned Astral Chain, being the upcoming Platinum/Nintendo game. And maaaaaaaybe some ARMS character, but I highly doubt that, even if there's extra spirits to add in and a stage, someone getting in over Spring Man doesn't seem likely, maybe Ribbon Girl since she's not an Assist.

D

Deleted member

Honestly it's one of my more recurring criticisms of Fire Emblem as well. For a series with a named cast of over 800 characters, I think less than ten are anything other than White European or vaguely-Japanese (for the Hoshidans and characters like Kamui). Off the top of my head for characters with darker skin...Fiona, Devdan/Danved, Basilio, Flavia, Boey, and Gray. Heroes has Surtr, Laevatein, Laegjarn, and Helbindi as well, but it's ambiguous as to whether or not they have dark skin or are just tanned, considering they basically live in the land of lava and fire.

Honestly that's part of why I really like Basilio and Flavia. They were pretty much the first black characters in the series to have any sort of relevance, and they were great characters too.

Hoping things get at least somewhat better in this regard in the future. Like you said, it's pretty much just fighting games right now.
It's a reason I'm glad Claude exists considering he's literally the first Lord with a skin color other than white.
It's still baby steps I guess, but it's something

Noipoi

Howdy!
That's kinda what I meant, or was getting at. Erdrick to please the Japanese fans, while someone else that the West would be interested in could be revealed to make up for all of the people disappointed by Erdrick. So a character for the West and for Japan.
Eastern and Western characters could definitely happen, but when I said we I didn't mean the west.

I meant the morons who keep up with Smash speculation.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think development team is trying their hardest to make sure there's no disappointed fans, considering :ultbayonetta::ultcorrin: and :ultincineroar::ultken::ultpiranha: combos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom