• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ya'll act like showing any of the newcomers to someone before E3 wouldn't have been ****ing mind blowing already.
People would still go to unbelievable lengths to "prove" it was fake.

Never forget when people were using a Kingdom Hearts render of Pluto to confirm Duck Hunt was fake.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Haha fair enough

I can’t really RABBID think of a character RABBID that would make me react the same way

RABBIDS
What could you BWAAAHHH-sibly be talking a-BWAAHH-out?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, there's also some varying degrees of :ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus: and :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultjoker: and :ultinkling::ultinklingboy::ultisabelle: and :ultsnake::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultwolf:.

They're absolutely looking to please fans, I think it's just that they're not beholden to it, so if they think something's cool they go for it anyway.

Besides, :ultbayonetta::ultincineroar::ultpiranha: are dope.
They are indeed.

I probably should've worded my post better, though. What I'm trying to say is reveals don't necessarily have to cater core fanbase while announcing a character out of it.

D

Deleted member

y'all really saying no grinch leak character except ken made it in when you're forgetting technically mario was on the banner too

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
reminder that howard the duck showed up to the fight of the century against thanos but the x-men couldn't even be bothered to come check it out

1556999689763.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 215957

Pikachu, of course. Bulbasaur, Psyduck, Arcanine, Mewtwo, all iconic-

Loudred

View attachment 215956
3rd Generation deserves more love anyway.

So the movie showing more than Gen 1 is nice as is. It's an issue Gamefreak has, not giving other Generations much love at all. Nothing wrong with Gen 1 getting some good stuff. It's an important piece to the franchise. But they can spread it out way better than they are right now. Alolan forms for other Generations would be a good start. Megas were spread out well enough to feel reasonable overall.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
How could anyone hate Daisy? She's a cooler version of Peach. And Rosalina's an actual character.

That said, from a gameplay perspective, Peach's game was cool, if they ever made a sequel that'd be dope. Maybe have both Peach and Daisy playable in the same way most games give you Mario and Luigi.

Or a Wario and Waluigi game, but with that one, I imagine they'd have to play fairly differently since unlike everyone else, their body types are more drastically different. Or the two could be playable at the same time, and each have abilities required to beat most levels.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I understand why people want a first party character, but then again I still wonder why it’s just “first party character”, as if any one Nintendo character just has to be DLC for this game.

There are still some Nintendo characters I would love. Rex is a spirit and Mii costume, for example. Isaac would have been great, but he’s a spirit, costume, and Assist Trophy.

Adding those characters, unfortunately, does not expand the audience the way a 3rd party character and series being introduced to Smash would. It’s not that, say, an obscure Nintendo character or even the newest FE lord doesn’t expand the audience at least a little. But it pales in comparison to what 3rd party series can provide.

When you look at the 3rd parties we have currently, the ones who were added as DLC have a larger potential for broadening the audience. Snake did that in Brawl, no doubt. But that’s an exception considering the circumstances.

Ryu is not only an icon, and SFV is PS4 exclusive, but that brings in the fighting game community as well. He does have the Nintendo connection, but he is effectively an icon of a community.

Cloud is another icon, and of a game/series that has mostly been PlayStation until recently. This brings in fans that might have loved FF7, and haven’t been back to Nintendo since pS1, for example.

Bayonetta, while not so much of an icon, was a new big title for Nintendo and Platinum. Bayonetta was a hit when it was on Xbox/PS3, so to have her exclusive in Smash at least attempted to draw rabid fans of those games to Nintendo and to get access to her games again.

Joker draws in the Persona/SMT fanbase, which doesn’t necessarily overlap with the others. The series may not be as big, but it certainly taps into something different.

Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and to me the Belmont’s are a tad different. Sonic was pre-DLC, and Mega-Man got his start on Nintendo (just like Castlevania). As they’re packaged into the $60 price tag, you’ll get old time Nintendo fans who may or may not be interested in the first place. Pac-Man is Pac-Man, but I don’t really see him as a “ZOMG MUST BUY DLC” pick for people who wouldn’t have bought Smash.

Pokémon is 2nd in playable characters. Fire Emblem is up there too. Those fanbases have a ton of stuff already. How many fans does a Gen 8 or Three Houses character actually bring in?

Compare that to Dragon Quest, the 2nd largest JRPG in Japan (and 8th highest selling Japanese-created series) and Resident Evil, titan horror-genre series and 7th highest selling Japanese-created series. Those are gold mines of fans and profit.

I would need a pretty good argument to expect a first party.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
3rd Generation deserves more love anyway.

So the movie showing more than Gen 1 is nice as is. It's an issue Gamefreak has, not giving other Generations much love at all. Nothing wrong with Gen 1 getting some good stuff. It's an important piece to the franchise. But they can spread it out way better than they are right now. Alolan forms for other Generations would be a good start. Megas were spread out well enough to feel reasonable overall.
I absolutely agree.

Gen 1 is iconic, I understand that. But it's really nice when other gens get representation.

And now that Pokemon from all generations are in a big Hollywood movie, maybe they'll be more iconic too!

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
If you had to ask me, Inklings alone made it worth the whole experience. Even though Isaac is my most wanted now, Inklings were by far my most wanted in the Smash 4 days.
Isabelle was icing on the cake, Trainer returining was the filling in the middle
Everyone else is the cherry on top that I don't eat.

osby

Smash Obsessed
How could anyone hate Daisy? She's a cooler version of Peach. And Rosalina's an actual character.

That said, from a gameplay perspective, Peach's game was cool, if they ever made a sequel that'd be dope. Maybe have both Peach and Daisy playable in the same way most games give you Mario and Luigi.

Or a Wario and Waluigi game, but with that one, I imagine they'd have to play fairly differently since unlike everyone else, their body types are more drastically different. Or the two could be playable at the same time, and each have abilities required to beat most levels.
This reads like an answer to a deleted post.

D

Deleted member

hrhmmmm

commit illicit substance abuse i have

angry god is

repent by running over innocent people in a 2011 honda accord i must

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I mean, there's also some varying degrees of :ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus: and :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultjoker: and :ultinkling::ultinklingboy::ultisabelle: and :ultsnake::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultwolf:.

They're absolutely looking to please fans, I think it's just that they're not beholden to it, so if they think something's cool they go for it anyway.

Besides, :ultbayonetta::ultincineroar::ultpiranha: are dope.

Ah.

Well in that case let it loose fam.

I blame being tired and missing stuff.

We can do the Bale-Kermit nod and roll with it.
Yeah, you're right, let's do that ****.

EVERYONE, I'm going to show a VERY early sprite of Alicia's big brother Hota, so if it look unfinish, don't worry, it's normal. I swear, if someone make a joke about that, I'm going to **** a cactus out my ass. (like this post if you got that epic gamer reference)

In all cases, here you go fella.
New Hota beta.gif

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
now imagine telling someone on october 28 2018 that there's more evidence to suggest that a girl from a 3rd party ps4 exclusive not even out for another 6 months in japan is getting into smash than there is that isaac is getting in

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I absolutely agree.

Gen 1 is iconic, I understand that. But it's really nice when other gens get representation.

And now that Pokemon from all generations are in a big Hollywood movie, maybe they'll be more iconic too!
26cda2bb-e8a6-4472-9b7a-7e41fa8f7964.jpeg

See this right here?

This is what a 10/10 movie looks like

D

Deleted member

now imagine telling someone on october 28 2018 that there's more evidence to suggest that a girl from a 3rd party ps4 exclusive not even out for another 6 months in japan is getting into smash than there is that isaac is getting in
lol just do more golden sundays 4head. assist alliance will rise again. gamers proceed upwards

Noipoi

Howdy!
2018 Noipoi: The **** is a Kasumi?
2019 Noipoi:
janereallyreallyspazzes.gif

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I'mma say that Ponytail belonged to Lara Croft. Or I at least hope so since that's an Iconic character I can get behind joining the roster. Could be cool if she ran people over with the Snowmobile from Tomb Raider 2. Or use her grappling hook like Spider-Man's Web Swing from MVC.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I'mma say that Ponytail belonged to Lara Croft. Or I at least hope so since that's an Iconic character I can get behind joining the roster. Could be cool if she ran people over with the Snowmobile from Tomb Raider 2. Or use her grappling hook like Spider-Man's Web Swing from MVC.
unlikely at best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom