• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Literally neither of these could reasonably function in the Smash environment. You can't just open a menu in the middle of a match to craft something, and permanently modifying stage layouts on a one-match basis is a ridiculous thought.
If we are being technical, Shulk selects his arts from a menu.

Also you don't need permanent changes, structures like Timber or Fire Hydrant have proven to work in Smash.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You bet I do! Why?
Wario vs Dedede just aired. Wanted to talk about it. And the next matchup they’re doing.
Occasionally yeah. This is about Ben 10 VS Green Lantern isn't it? The only connection is "Space and green" what the hell
They each wield the most powerful weapon in their respective universe with infinite potential. Not to mention their origin stories echo similar beats.

Plus, by the end of the series, Ben is so powerful that I have a hard time thinking of gifts that would even be fair. GL is probably the most equal match they could put him in.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
ay yo let's not talk about that

them days behind me
Fair enough. I was just curious since I was browsing real quick to see what Wario and DeDeDe were capable of, and I spotted your name somewhere.

D

Deleted member

I always see a ton of Minecraft merchandise whenever I walk by a toy store, and even unrelated shops like WHS Smith. I see a lot of Steve, some Creeper, some other mobs, some youtubers, but Steve's always the one I see the most merch of.
Anecdotal I know, but dude's iconic, he's well known.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
See, this I have a different opinion on.

Let me show you something.

View attachment 214365

I built this. All of this.

View attachment 214367

At this time, it remains incomplete. The intent is to bring it over to my family survival server when it's done, so there's a great deal of renewable materials in the palette. Quirks of spawn mechanics have been thoroughly abused to keep the lighting down. There's been selections throughout to add depth and texture.

View attachment 214370

The ceiling is particularly bland, other than its shape. I still have some additional furniture to work on. There's people who would give me hell for all the brown I used. More yet to be done.

View attachment 214372

Nevertheless it remains a creative expression. A lot of agonizing hours over design choices of various stripes, all compacted into a relatively minor space. Where you see limits, I see possibilities. And I seized them to the best of my limited ability.

To say that somehow none of this is possible effectively denounces the work I've done.

It is with this in mind, and a heavy heart, I have to say I can neither agree with nor support your stance in any way.

I hope you understand.
That's really ****ing cool.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Wario vs Dedede just aired. Wanted to talk about it. And the next matchup they’re doing.

They each wield the most powerful weapon in their respective universe with infinite potential. Not to mention their origin stories echo similar beats.

Plus, by the end of the series, Ben is so powerful that I have a hard time thinking of gifts that would even be fair. GL is probably the most equal match they could put him in.
Yeah, I am definitely thinking Ben has the next fight in the bag, don't ya think?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I guess? I just don't consider Ben an opponent for the Green Lanterns. I feel Ben's gonna lose unless they use Alien X because while Ben can be bull**** (5 year old Ben nearly managed to cause a supernova), he's not a comic character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Fair enough. I was just curious since I was browsing real quick to see what Wario and DeDeDe were capable of, and I spotted your name somewhere.
It depends on how strong you think the Kirby universe is. Or really the Mario universe too because a lot of different people believe a lot of different things.

Dedede's only like a foot tall so like I'm pretty sure wario could just sit on him lol, it's not like Dedede could lift him up

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
All he had to do is turn into Alien X and Thanos snap him. Unless GL can somehow survive reality being re-written. It will definitely be a fun matchup to watch though. Three weeks can’t pass by fast enough.
No kidding! I can hardly wait for them to pass just like I can hardly wait for any three weeks to pass before a Death Battle comes out.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I guess? I just don't consider Ben an opponent for the Green Lanterns. I feel Ben's gonna lose unless they use Alien X because while Ben can be bull**** (5 year old Ben nearly managed to cause a supernova), he's not a comic character.
Why wouldn’t they use Alien X? They use the whole of a character’s main cannon story. To omit everything but the classic series would be selective bias against him.

Also, most of Ben’s aliens are stupid powerful. I almost say at a comic book level.

No kidding! I can hardly wait for them to pass just like I can hardly wait for any three weeks to pass before a Death Battle comes out.
What did you think of Wario v Dedede?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, and it's clunky as hell.

Take that from someone who likes Sackboy as a character. I couldn't stand him there.
Dude, he's far from clunky. He's a high-tier character in that game for a reason. Sure, he's no Kratos or Kat, but they managed to make a cohesive moveset around literally opening the Pop-It menu, laying traps, building structures, and affecting the terrain. Something like that can easily be done for Steve.

Hell, give Steve Sackboy's suplex too. That was always fun.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah. So. Okay. I haven't watched it, but.

Why the **** is "Wario vs. Dedede" a Death Battle? That's just Smash Bros. for the last 11 years. What do they even have in common? Who asked for this?

"Let's settle this debate once and for all" has never applied less than to this matchup.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If you're saying you've never before seen that cringy "Like A Boss" Steve shirt that all 7 year olds seem to collectively own and wear, you're a damn liar
I'm still miffed Steve never got in Lego Dimensions.

It would've been a perfect fit! Instead, we got Mission Impossible.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
If you're saying you've never before seen that cringy "Like A Boss" Steve shirt that all 7 year olds seem to collectively own and wear, you're a damn liar
I go out of my way to avoid being around children as much as possible, but I have never seen a shirt matching that description. Maybe there just aren't any shipped to my town?

Either way, Steve, to me, would be a useless edition. I'd try him one time to see how he works and never touch him again.

I mean it when I say I'd take pretty much any video game character over him. Pyramid Head? Sure. Senran Kagura character? Why not. Lottie? You better believe I'd take her over Steve.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah. So. Okay. I haven't watched it, but.

Why the **** is "Wario vs. Dedede" a Death Battle? That's just Smash Bros. for the last 11 years. What do they even have in common? Who asked for this?

"Let's settle this debate once and for all" has never applied less than to this matchup.
They just wanted to do a goofey fight with goofy characters. Sometimes they just do a matchup that they want to do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Why wouldn’t they use Alien X? They use the whole of a character’s main cannon story. To omit everything but the classic series would be selective bias against him.

Also, most of Ben’s aliens are stupid powerful. I almost say at a comic book level.

What did you think of Wario v Dedede?
True but this is Death Battle, they like bull****ting sometimes. Like Fulgore VS Sub Zero (Fulgore has super speed and DB said "Sub Zero's a ninja so that doesn't matter") and I believe Gara VS Toph was bull**** as sand is something Toph has difficulty with controlling, especially if there's living energy in it. I only saw the first season of Avatar so I'm not too sure

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Which Green Lantern is it though.

Because depending on which they choose, there is some reality-wiping bull**** that goes on in GL lore.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I do think being able to get pictures of a floor plan way before E3 is pretty big. Of course your source for it will have to be different then those talking Sora or Geno.

My guess is the E3 stuff is a different source somewhere in Nintendo’s Marketing department.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
i leave for an hour and Steve is in, someone fill me in because i'm too lazy to go back a page

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also just in case people need a visual, this was how Sackboy worked in PSASBR.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
True but this is Death Battle, they like bull****ting sometimes. Like Fulgore VS Sub Zero (Fulgore has super speed and DB said "Sub Zero's a ninja so that doesn't matter") and I believe Gara VS Toph was bull**** as sand is something Toph has difficulty with controlling, especially if there's living energy in it. I only saw the first season of Avatar so I'm not too sure
That’s a weakness Toph overcomes by the end of the story.

Also, Sub-Zero is pretty fast too. Plus, Fulgore’s not exactly The Flash.

I’m confident considering they used footage from Ultimate Alien in the reveal.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Literally neither of these could reasonably function in the Smash environment. You can't just open a menu in the middle of a match to craft something, and permanently modifying stage layouts on a one-match basis is a ridiculous thought.

As for merch showing Steve? Never seen such a thing. I've seen plenty of Minecraft merch in my time, and the Creeper is ALWAYS there. Hell, there's usually a pig there too. But I don't think I've ever seen anything outside of the box itself and maybe a t-shirt that has Steve on it. Meanwhile I've seen hundreds of plushies, posters, and toys of creepers.
None of this stopped Villager.

Most Animal Crossing promotions focus on the animals; the Villager is mostly used as a player expy, a default skin that the player will almost never encounter in gameplay or replace the moment the opportunity arises with their own self-expression. Rather than pull things out from his pockets (involving a menu) he uses a combination of tools and random items, despite the fact that the lion's share of his game involves modifying your home and the town around you. He can even add to the stage with his Tree on a temporary basis.

Likewise, you're correct that most Minecraft merchandising focuses on other things, such as the mobs, and especially the Creeper; Steve is used largely as a player expy, a default skin that the player will almost never encounter in gameplay or replace the moment the opportunity arises with their own self-expression. Rather than pull things out from his inventory (involving a menu) he could use a combination of tools and random items, despite the fact that the lion's share of his game involves modifying the world around you. He could even add to the stage with a Place Block function on a temporary basis (perhaps similar to Hydrant, if not Tree).

There's nothing here I see as a problem.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My favorite bull**** was when they used the Mortal Kombat minigames to say that Sonya Blade can canonically chop solid titanium in half with a karate chop.

Someone on that episode's writing staff had a hard-on for Sonya Blade.

Also wasn't Fulgore against someone else? Sub-Zero fought Glacius. Cold vs. Cold.

D

Deleted member

My favorite bull**** was when they used the Mortal Kombat minigames to say that Sonya Blade can canonically chop solid titanium in half with a karate chop.

Someone on that episode's writing staff had a hard-on for Sonya Blade.
my favorite bull**** is when Sonic beat Mario
actually
no that's my least favorite

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
i leave for an hour and Steve is in, someone fill me in because i'm too lazy to go back a page
Someone swith some credibility say that Steve could be revealed at E3.

Peoples argument if that's a good thing or not.

Me, I'm still mad because Steve Minecraft ****ed my wife, so that's a HARD no.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't think arguing potential movesets is really all that important honestly.

On one hand it could be exactly what everyone thought it'd be like Simon being a 1:1 game translation,

and other times it could be Joker being fueled by Arsene juice and summoning his stand via the power of masochism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom