• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Which characters do you think are gonna be assist trophies in the next smash game?

Shantae doesn’t count because she has more potential as a fighter rather than an npc trophy
Well, the assist trophies we got for this game show that Ballot characters (Isaac, Shovel Knight) don’t always make the roster and end up as a consolation to show they’re atleast aware so if I had to guess....

-Dixie (hopefully not)
-Bandana Dee (hopefully not)
-Shantae (face it man, she’s gonna be one:4pacman:)
-Rayman (He’s got a trophy, Spirit, an AT is pretty much next in line for him)

As far as viable roster candidates go anyway lol.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Young Avengers is with the new Miss America right? Miss America ****s me up because Marvel helped create Battle Fever J, a Super Sentai season, which had the girl ranger be called Miss America so Marvel got involved and made 2 completely different Miss America characters
You mean America Chavez? Yeah, she joined the team later on.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Sigh. I know I'm extremely late to this, and I will probably not get any drama from posting this, and I'm really not trying to start anything up again, but I'm going to throw a few things out there.

Crossover definition:

Google: a point or place of crossing from one side to another

Merriam Webster: (the one that best fits)- the instance of breaking into another category

Dictionary.com: - a point or place of crossing from one side to another

The objective definition of "crossover" is where at least 2 things crossover to one another. This is an objective definition and is not up for debate. This definition may not be changed, but what fits in as a crossover can be up for a debate. I'll offer one example that I personally think makes the most sense.

Let us use the comparison of Smash and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as well as the original source material themselves.

Smash first. Remember this image at E3 2018?
Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 3.17.35 PM.png
This is described as, "Simply put, this is the biggest gaming crossover ever!" by Daddy Sakurai himself. A large portion of these games comes from Nintendo as the main company, with several different series under their umbrella. Mario does not typically star in Zelda games, nor does Samus typically show up in Star Fox games. Donkey Kong does not typically show up in Kid Icarus, nor does Captain Falcon star in any Pokemon titles.

The characters have their own games and titles, but in Smash collide with one another.

Compare this to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There's always this garbage article from Polygon that we can refer to (https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/20/17143484/avengers-infinity-war-meme-biggest-crossover-in-history), but let's look at it in a similar way that we looked at Smash.

Look at the above spoilered image, and replace the Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Pokemon, etc, with Marvel series such as:

Captain America
Spider- Man
Guardians of the Galaxy (similar to Star Fox I suppose)
Captain Marvel
Fantastic Four
X-Men
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Black Panther
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Moon Knight
...and many others.

Similar to how most characters in Smash are owned by Nintendo, all characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe are owned by Marvel. Like each independent series in Smash, each Marvel superhero has their own stories where other heroes, typically, do not show up. When you read Spider-Man, you expect a story about Spider-Man, with Spider-Man series villains, with the occasional appearance of a Fantastic Four member (looking at you Human Torch!)

While the Marvel universe is a shared universe, and characters encounter each other once in awhile, it's not nearly as meshed together as some are making it out to be. Spider-Man has his own series, as does Iron Man, as does Captain America, as does the X-Men, as does the Hulk, as does Black Panther...similar to the various games in the Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Metroid, and other series that appear in Smash.

Like the Smash games only come out once in awhile, and many character crossover into a game where they normally don't work together or see one another, Avengers movies (at this point) are a special occasion.

There is certainly hyperbole in the statement that "Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history!", but the hyperbole comes in the form of "biggest", not the fact that it's a crossover at all. It is certainly a crossover.

Basically, if you consider Smash a crossover game (a game where, you guessed it, several different characters cross over among different series and areas from those series) then the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as well as the several comics that are titled "Avengers" are crossover events. That is simply by definition. It may be large scale or small scale crossover events, but they are crossover events nonetheless.

I am frustrated that I couldn't just be quiet, but as a teacher of the English language and vocabulary, I cannot just watch as people try to alter the objective meaning of words to contribute to an argument that really doesn't exist, mainly because I don't think we should be changing the meaning of things if we do not want our language to become meaningless (this was an over the top statement, but please read 1984). If it has more than one property that meet each other, it's a crossover. Crossovers can be small scale and large scale, but for gaming Smash is the "largest crossover" while in cinematic history Infinity War is likely the "largest" crossover.

If I can get somebody to make me a nice Jill Valentine Roster Maker icon, I may post a roster to discuss later. Thank you for reading, and I apologize if I contribute to any frustration or salt. None of that is intended.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
With all this talk of Marvel characters I must remind you all the only one that matters has perfect mutton chops, cuts down trees for a living, keeps trying to sleep with his arch foe's half the time dead wife, thinks everyone is called Bub and has been in plenty of games made by Capcom (a Japanese developer) so totally should be in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Assists, I think if they start upgrading them in DLC, or if the next smash game is an enhanced port, Alucard is a pretty likely candidate. He’s the only AT we know was considered to be playable, he has one of the more in-depth movesets, he’s a popular character. I’d say him and Waluigi seems like the most likely potential promotions.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Chavez is the Mexican lesbian girl right? Some of my friends who are into comics significantly more than I am love her
Most girls in comics are lesbians. I can not find one that has not at least had ONE GF at one time. Catwoman even had a Japanese GF.

D

Deleted member

Sigh. I know I'm extremely late to this, and I will probably not get any drama from posting this, and I'm really not trying to start anything up again, but I'm going to throw a few things out there.

Crossover definition:

Google: a point or place of crossing from one side to another

Merriam Webster: (the one that best fits)- the instance of breaking into another category

Dictionary.com: - a point or place of crossing from one side to another

The objective definition of "crossover" is where at least 2 things crossover to one another. This is an objective definition and is not up for debate. This definition may not be changed, but what fits in as a crossover can be up for a debate. I'll offer one example that I personally think makes the most sense.

Let us use the comparison of Smash and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as well as the original source material themselves.

Smash first. Remember this image at E3 2018?
This is described as, "Simply put, this is the biggest gaming crossover ever!" by Daddy Sakurai himself. A large portion of these games comes from Nintendo as the main company, with several different series under their umbrella. Mario does not typically star in Zelda games, nor does Samus typically show up in Star Fox games. Donkey Kong does not typically show up in Kid Icarus, nor does Captain Falcon star in any Pokemon titles.

The characters have their own games and titles, but in Smash collide with one another.

Compare this to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There's always this garbage article from Polygon that we can refer to (https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/20/17143484/avengers-infinity-war-meme-biggest-crossover-in-history), but let's look at it in a similar way that we looked at Smash.

Look at the above spoilered image, and replace the Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Pokemon, etc, with Marvel series such as:

Captain America
Spider- Man
Guardians of the Galaxy (similar to Star Fox I suppose)
Captain Marvel
Fantastic Four
X-Men
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Black Panther
Doctor Strange
Ant-Man
Moon Knight
...and many others.

Similar to how most characters in Smash are owned by Nintendo, all characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe are owned by Marvel. Like each independent series in Smash, each Marvel superhero has their own stories where other heroes, typically, do not show up. When you read Spider-Man, you expect a story about Spider-Man, with Spider-Man series villains, with the occasional appearance of a Fantastic Four member (looking at you Human Torch!)

While the Marvel universe is a shared universe, and characters encounter each other once in awhile, it's not nearly as meshed together as some are making it out to be. Spider-Man has his own series, as does Iron Man, as does Captain America, as does the X-Men, as does the Hulk, as does Black Panther...similar to the various games in the Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Metroid, and other series that appear in Smash.

Like the Smash games only come out once in awhile, and many character crossover into a game where they normally don't work together or see one another, Avengers movies (at this point) are a special occasion.

There is certainly hyperbole in the statement that "Infinity War is the most ambitious crossover event in history!", but the hyperbole comes in the form of "biggest", not the fact that it's a crossover at all. It is certainly a crossover.

Basically, if you consider Smash a crossover game (a game where, you guessed it, several different characters cross over among different series and areas from those series) then the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as well as the several comics that are titled "Avengers" are crossover events. That is simply by definition. It may be large scale or small scale crossover events, but they are crossover events nonetheless.

I am frustrated that I couldn't just be quiet, but as a teacher of the English language and vocabulary, I cannot just watch as people try to alter the objective meaning of words to contribute to an argument that really doesn't exist, mainly because I don't think we should be changing the meaning of things if we do not want our language to become meaningless (this was an over the top statement, but please read 1984). If it has more than one property that meet each other, it's a crossover. Crossovers can be small scale and large scale, but for gaming Smash is the "largest crossover" while in cinematic history Infinity War is likely the "largest" crossover.

If I can get somebody to make me a nice Jill Valentine Roster Maker icon, I may post a roster to discuss later. Thank you for reading, and I apologize if I contribute to any frustration or salt. None of that is intended.
Difference between avengers and smash is that, as you stated, the marvel universe is within one universe. It's about as much of a crossover as when characters with separate storylines in a tv series come across eachother. And to be fair, that's also treated as a big deal. But it doesn't really come to mind when thinking of crossovers as a genre so to speak. Sure they're literally meeting, in that sense they're crossing over. But they're all of the same continuity.

Again, I guess this depends on your view of how characters crossover so to speak. For instance, as a Godzilla fan it isn't uncommon at all to see different Toho monsters to just appear in the series. They all have their own licenses and such. In the early days, it's definitely understandable why something like Godzilla vs Mothra would be considered a crossover. But later on in the series monsters such as Mothra are just normal to the series. Just like how other marvel characters inhabit the stories of marvel characters all the time. Kingpin is a villain of various heroes for instance. Heck, same goes for Thanos.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Shantae doesn’t count because she has more potential as a fighter rather than an npc trophy
I'd hate to be that guy, but so did Shovel Knight, as well as a number of other assists.

Potential doesn't protect people from assist trophy or echo fighter status. Not every character with "potential" gets to make it in.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Speaking of Assists, I think if they start upgrading them in DLC, or if the next smash game is an enhanced port, Alucard is a pretty likely candidate. He’s the only AT we know was considered to be playable, he has one of the more in-depth movesets, he’s a popular character. I’d say him and Waluigi seems like the most likely potential promotions.
*cough*Krystal*cough*

But yeah Alucard is someone i see as likely to be upgraded were it to happen. Could see Ashley, Isaac, and Skull Kid being likely too

D

Deleted member

With all this talk of Marvel characters I must remind you all the only one that matters has perfect mutton chops, cuts down trees for a living, keeps trying to sleep with his arch foe's half the time dead wife, thinks everyone is called Bub and has been in plenty of games made by Capcom (a Japanese developer) so totally should be in Smash.
Nah. For me, there are two possible scenarios:

>Sakurai decides to got for a pick that represents the origins of Marvel as we know it today (The Fantastic Four).
Or
>Sakurai just adds the face of the company and most famous Stan Lee creation (Spider-Man).

Sakurai would absolutely add a rep created by Stan Lee, so Wolverine would not be at least the first Marvel pick in Smash.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Difference between avengers and smash is that, as you stated, the marvel universe is within one universe. It's about as much of a crossover as when characters with separate storylines in a tv series come across eachother. And to be fair, that's also treated as a big deal. But it doesn't really come to mind when thinking of crossovers as a genre so to speak. Sure they're literally meeting, in that sense they're crossing over. But they're all of the same continuity.

Again, I guess this depends on your view of how characters crossover so to speak. For instance, as a Godzilla fan it isn't uncommon at all to see different Toho monsters to just appear in the series. They all have their own licenses and such. In the early days, it's definitely understandable why something like Godzilla vs Mothra would be considered a crossover. But later on in the series monsters such as Mothra are just normal to the series. Just like how other marvel characters inhabit the stories of marvel characters all the time. Kingpin is a villain of various heroes for instance. Heck, same goes for Thanos.
My guess is that the discussion was misunderstood earlier to some degree. I think it's clear that the Avengers movies, by definition, are crossovers, but the extremity of the crossover is something to be debated.

Truthfully, a super hero crossover event where Batman and the Justice League crossed over with Marvel would be larger. Really, I think the beauty of the Avengers "crossover" is the build up. An incredible job was done to build the story of each hero, have their own individual movies to work with, to tell their individual stories, and then mash them all together for the big Avengers crossovers. I think, in that sense, it's a big deal.

Regardless, Smash is the bigger crossover. :estatic: Nobody is debating that, I'm just stating it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gonna need to talk to Hasbro too for that

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I feel if we are to get one assist upgrade, it'll be Waluigi. That whole thing that happened after his disconfirmation show that there are a whole bunch of people that want him and would gladly buy him as a DLC fighter.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Alright guys, quick rant time. The competetive community is fine, but they can be pretty toxic at times. It doesn't really seem like they enjoy the game all too much, and they just want to win. I best some do, but they are always trying to find new combos, etc. Instead of just having fun with the game, and then maybe a few months later checking out all that. This video is a good example.
Piranha Plant hasn't been out for a week, and we already got stuff like this. Just enjoy the fighter for a bit, take it easy, and maybe do that later. And it is very early for a video like this.

D

Deleted member

Alright guys, quick rant time. The competetive community is fine, but they can be pretty toxic at times. It doesn't really seem like they enjoy the game all too much, and they just want to win. I best some do, but they are always trying to find new combos, etc. Instead of just having fun with the game, and then maybe a few months later checking out all that. This video is a good example.
Piranha Plant hasn't been out for a week, and we already got stuff like this. Just enjoy the fighter for a bit, take it easy, and maybe do that later. And it is very early for a video like this.
ZeRo can have fun with Piranha Plant and make a combo video you know.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the video at all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Holy cow :ultlucas:‘s PK Freeze is broken as hell lol.
People keep saying this. HOW? HOW is it broken? I have seen SO many people say it's broken yet they never ****ing say why
Yeah, but the image would be low res.
Then go to their Smash Ultimate page on the wiki which has an individual picture of their render?

D

Deleted member

What if the fun for them IS finding combos, winnings experimenting with the character?

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
People keep saying this. HOW? HOW is it broken? I have seen SO many people say it's broken yet they never ****ing say why

Then go to their Smash Ultimate page on the wiki which has an individual picture of their render?
Trying to look for one of their alts.

ZeRo can have fun with Piranha Plant and make a combo video you know.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the video at all.
Yeah, he can have fun with it, don't get me wrong. But it's a bit hasty doing it this quick, wouldn't you think?

Maybe I am just looking too much into this.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
1.Play as Lucas

2.Watch a Lucas match

3.Not only does it immobilize your foes but it’s strong enough to launch them to the blast zone with enough force.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
D

Deleted member

Yeah, he can have fun with it, don't get me wrong. But it's a bit hasty doing it this quick, wouldn't you think?

Maybe I am just looking too much into this.
Keep in mind these combos are not glitched unlike Melee, Brawl and to an extent Smash 4.
These Ultimate combos have actually been worked on and it actually feels like good skill.
Keep in mind ZeRo plays Smash Ultimate a lot of time, so he probably had a lot of time with Piranha Plant.
There is nothing wrong with making a video about Smash combos days after a character comes out. It's main intent is to help players, so that is a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Keep in mind these combos are not glitched cause like Melee, Brawl and to an extent Smash 4.
These Ultimate combos have actually been worked on and it actually feels like good skill.
Keep in mind ZeRo plays Smash Ultimate a lot of time, so he probably had a lot of time with Piranha Plant.
There is nothing wrong with making a video about Smash combos days after a character comes out. It's main intent is to help players, so that is a plus.
Oh yeah certainlehy not an issue. Just something I found odd.

Also, yeah, that is a pretty good point.

D

Deleted member

My guess is that the discussion was misunderstood earlier to some degree. I think it's clear that the Avengers movies, by definition, are crossovers, but the extremity of the crossover is something to be debated.

Truthfully, a super hero crossover event where Batman and the Justice League crossed over with Marvel would be larger. Really, I think the beauty of the Avengers "crossover" is the build up. An incredible job was done to build the story of each hero, have their own individual movies to work with, to tell their individual stories, and then mash them all together for the big Avengers crossovers. I think, in that sense, it's a big deal.

Regardless, Smash is the bigger crossover. :estatic: Nobody is debating that, I'm just stating it.
What the exact qualifications for a crossover are rather subjective, so yes. What I found silly earlier is how some people were brushing off gothfluttershy as a dunce.

And I don't think that'd even be the case for a DC and Marvel crossover. It'd be more definitive as a crossover, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee it'd be as big as Infinity War. Much like how the Infinity Gauntlet comic is bigger than any of the marvel and dc crossovers I can think of.

Same goes for smash. In what way is it bigger? Well the ambition of the characters crossing over are certainly much more ambitious. In terms of popularity? Definitely the MCU. Though they're two different mediums anyway. I'm sure a smash bros movie would make less and an Infinity War game would make less.

Yeah, it's weird. From my experience, I see more pro players of other fighters enjoy the game more so casually. You know, the lore, characters, that sort of thing.

For Smash you'd think it'd be the most laid back in that way. But instead it has the most intense heat between casuals and pros I've seen.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
1.Play as Lucas

2.Watch a Lucas match

3.Not only does it immobilize your foes but it’s strong enough to launch them to the blast zone with enough force.
So the first 2 tips aren't actually explaining it and the first tip is useless if I even have to ask in the first place. Ok.

3. Ok but, considering the move's speed and arc, doesn't that make it VERY predictable? You can just, I dunno, jump over it and you're in the clear. Lucas shouldn't be able to pull off that move in neutral so I'm pretty sure you just suck. Sorry man

D

Deleted member

I wonder when I will see the thread with 0 guests again...
It feels interesting when that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom