• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Are we still pretending Isaac, Shadow etc. fans didn't hype themselves over nothing and have right to blame marketing for their over-active imagination?

...I thought we left 2018 behind.
A lot of people seem to take the attitude of "If it's discussed a lot and people who call themselves insiders seem to support the notion, then it's confirmed." Even though Shadow made the most sense out of any character given his popularity and Echo potential, treating him as a lock wasn't wise. It's fine to say "This character seems likely, given the circumstances," and it's also fine to be disappointed when that doesn't happen, but so many times I see people consider characters to be basically confirmed despite there being insignificant evidence to support it.

For example, so many people consider Steve to be practically confirmed for DLC, based principally on Vergeben's claim that there would be Minecraft content in the game, yet here we are with no Minecraft content. So now people have pushed that back to mean that it'll be DLC, without any further evidence to suggest that would be likely. It's just one of those things where people have nodded their heads at enough that it's being accepted as truth.

I'm still kind of shocked at how many people fell for the Grinch hoax. It honestly wasn't that impressive of a feat--blurry "leaks" aren't anything new--but I guess because it had all the big most-wanted characters, people wanted to believe in in spite of its dubious nature. And apparently it was designed to get people's hopes up so that they'd inevitably be disappointed when the final reveal didn't live up to it, and then cause fans to attack each other and Nintendo/Sakurai out of that disappointment. Sad to see that its effects are still being felt.
While this goes on...Imma say **** y’all logic and continue to cry over mah boi Shadow not being a fighter some more

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The mention of Scooby-Doo reminds me that since yesterday I've come up with a crossover with Yu Yu Hakusho having been watching that show lately (Currently on episode 36). One that I might even write down the road.

It fits so perfectly and thematically.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm still kind of shocked at how many people fell for the Grinch hoax. It honestly wasn't that impressive of a feat--blurry "leaks" aren't anything new--but I guess because it had all the big most-wanted characters, people wanted to believe in in spite of its dubious nature. And apparently it was designed to get people's hopes up so that they'd inevitably be disappointed when the final reveal didn't live up to it, and then cause fans to attack each other and Nintendo/Sakurai out of that disappointment. Sad to see that its effects are still being felt.
Gonna have to interject on this whole Smash talk with talking about this. When did all of a sudden people say that the Grinch Hoax isn't impressive? I've been seeing that a lot lately. If you ask me, out of all the "fake leaks" we've had in the past five or so Smash games, this one was the best of them all. The Metal Gear Solid V reference alone with the placement of Snake and Banjo & Kazooie really got a lot of people, and would definitely be in-line of something the dev team would do. Hell, look no further than the character interactions with the recent Piranha Plant showing.

Really, going into November, the Grinch Hoax turning out fake only was half of the salt pouring on the wounds, as the other half I'll still stand by saying with that Direct being quite honestly a pretty underwhelming showing. If there's anything to be critical of Nintendo and Sakurai of was the Direct itself, definitely not the Grinch Hoax, however.

I really hope that going into this DLC cycle with us getting 5 packs (characters, stages, music, Classic & Palutena's Guidance, etc.), that Sakurai learned from what he did in August when he went overboard a bit with reveals. Gotta keep a semi-smooth pace.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The mention of Scooby-Doo reminds me that since yesterday I've come up with a crossover with Yu Yu Hakusho having been watching that show lately (Currently on episode 36). One that I might even write down the road.

It fits so perfectly and thematically.
Maybe everyone will realize Shaggy has Mazoku Atavism :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Has anyone ever played the Mean girls cash grab for the Ds because I can't find gameplay maybe it's just that bad of a game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Grinch Leak wasn't honestly impressive. Not only did it have way too many characters, ignoring that Sakurai said a few were left before Isabelle, it was a pretty bad photoshop job too. And then it was pointed out every banner had the same background. If they had done better research on this alone, they could've made a good version of the banner instead of being inconsistent and the leak would've been far more believable.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Really, going into November, the Grinch Hoax turning out fake only was half of the salt pouring on the wounds, as the other half I'll still stand by saying with that Direct being quite honestly a pretty underwhelming showing. If there's anything to be critical of Nintendo and Sakurai of was the Direct itself, definitely not the Grinch Hoax, however.

I really hope that going into this DLC cycle with us getting 5 packs (characters, stages, music, Classic & Palutena's Guidance, etc.), that Sakurai learned from what he did in August when he went overboard a bit with reveals. Gotta keep a semi-smooth pace.
Last direct being underwhelming is subjective, though. They still showed two unique characters and one echo, along with Adventure Mode. It's not like there wasn't any big hype (especially among casual fans that doesn't care much about rather older character selection of the previous direct).

Yeah, it got salt but which last Smash direct didn't? It's the story of boy who cried wolf at this point. If you keep saying last reveals were underwhelming, there's not much reason for official marketing to take you seriously.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Are we still pretending Isaac, Shadow etc. fans didn't hype themselves over nothing and have right to blame marketing for their over-active imagination?

...I thought we left 2018 behind.
Diem made some excellent points in their post. What if Isaac and Shadow made it? We'd all be saying "oh yeah it was obvious, look at all the hints Sakurai left all along!!!"

But they didn't. And does that really give people like you the right to be all smug about it? When really, we're all just trying to figure out who's likely to be in and who might not be. Hoping for and promoting certain characters. Some people will always take things too far or believe in hoaxes too fervently and then be too disappointed in the aftermath. Again, that does not mean I'm somehow wrong for trying to figure out why Shadow didn't get in.

Ultimately, Sakurai and his team make the decisions, and nothing we do can change that. The Smash Ballot was a unique opportunity for the community to give their input, and we got Ridley, King K Rool, and the Belmonts out of it.

Hindsight is 20/20. We don't know why Isaac and Shadow weren't included unless we hear from the man himself. (Well, we've heard a lot from some people about Nintendo's possible thought process on Isaac, but nothing about Shadow.) But your acting like we can't express sadness about it or try to figure out why/what might have happened is silly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With Isaac I think it comes down to him coming from a dead franchise being one of those reasons. At least that's what I'd think.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Instead we get Steve.
Nice.

Diem made some excellent points in their post. What if Isaac and Shadow made it? We'd all be saying "oh yeah it was obvious, look at all the hints Sakurai left all along!!!"

But they didn't. And does that really give people like you the right to be all smug about it? When really, we're all just trying to figure out who's likely to be in and who might not be. Hoping for and promoting certain characters. Some people will always take things too far or believe in hoaxes too fervently and then be too disappointed in the aftermath. Again, that does not mean I'm somehow wrong for trying to figure out why Shadow didn't get in.

Ultimately, Sakurai and his team make the decisions, and nothing we do can change that. The Smash Ballot was a unique opportunity for the community to give their input, and we got Ridley, King K Rool, and the Belmonts out of it.

Hindsight is 20/20. We don't know why Isaac and Shadow weren't included unless we hear from the man himself. (Well, we've heard a lot from some people about Nintendo's possible thought process on Isaac, but nothing about Shadow.) But your acting like we can't express sadness about it or try to figure out why/what might have happened is silly.
You can express sadness but marketing team isn't responsible for it. I was supporting Shadow too, but I wasn't heartbroken because I kept my expectations low.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gonna have to interject on this whole Smash talk with talking about this. When did all of a sudden people say that the Grinch Hoax isn't impressive? I've been seeing that a lot lately. If you ask me, out of all the "fake leaks" we've had in the past five or so Smash games, this one was the best of them all. The Metal Gear Solid V reference alone with the placement of Snake and Banjo & Kazooie really got a lot of people, and would definitely be in-line of something the dev team would do. Hell, look no further than the character interactions with the recent Piranha Plant showing.

Because anyone can do cute references, a lot of people doubted it from the get go due to the amount of characters left, the fact that it didn't add up with what we already knew and the fact multiple artists came out and said "This **** is easy as hell to fake you know". Then the empty banner from E3 was found and all the inconsistencies started showing up

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd been screaming from the rooftops that Isabelle was a lock and wouldn't be (what we know now as) an echo ever since long before Ultimate was even announced.

@Shishœ and Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman can back me on this. :p
It's true, because I also was screaming from the same rooftops while he held me back not to murder people to see how much of a lock she was.

I never understood how someone who is probably one of the fastest and biggest Nintendo all-star of recent years was being written off because ''LOL SHE SECRETARY."

Noipoi

Howdy!
It's true, because I also was screaming from the same rooftops while he held me back not to murder people to see how much of a lock she was.

I never understood how someone who is probably one of the fastest and biggest Nintendo all-star of recent years was being written off because ''LOL SHE SECRETARY."
BUT SHE A PASSYFIST

osby

Smash Obsessed

To be fair, :ultwiifittrainer: had to get a Warrior game in order to become playable in Smash, I can get why people were skeptical about Isabelle. /s

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Maybe at that time, it was either Grinch roster or Box roster for most people.

I feel like the Box theory’s kind of the blame for the Grinch hoax, people like me probably worried that if they didn’t hold any hope for it being real and having their whopping 7 newcomers ,they would just end up with only 2.

Without the Box, maybe more believers would’ve leaned on fake, save the trouble and hope for atleast 3 more newcomers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom