• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The thing is, would they announce Steve at Nintendo's conference,

Or will they pull a Joker, and announce him out of nowhere at Microsoft's?

Imagine the chaos if that happend?
General thing, I don’t think they’d have a Smash reveal unless someone from Nintendo is there to make the reveal for them. Theoretically someone from Nintendo could suddenly show up to make the reveal, but, I dunno.

(Besides, I think Nintendo would want to save it for their own direct presentation anyway, a lot of people would be there for Smash reveals and they might tune out if a Smash reveal had been given out earlier in E3. They’ll want everyone to see their other game reveals, after all.)

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
"The only reason Erdrick is likely is cause Dragon Quest is an iconic Japanese phenomenon and leakers that have gotten most everything right for this game so far has heard it is him."

I dunno, man. Erdrick is highly, HIGHLY likely. Like, almost confirmed likely.

...maybe it's Geno but I doubt it.
Fair point. I perhaps realized too late what my post could be read as. :laugh:
I just believe that, so far, there's not much reason to trust leaker claims about DLC right now. Vergeben was obviously correct about the base game, but I don't know, man. There's not much reason to say that he or anyone akin to him is necessarily meaningful in DLC speculation. Circumstances for characters are different now; the development team is getting smaller, and the deals to negotiate these characters are unknown in regards to their timing. Of course, leakers could easily know about such negotiations. However, I'll remain on the skeptical side.

Personally, I'd give Dragon Quest's fame as a series more weight than leaker claims for now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's been a minute.

Hey, what's been going on in the rumor mill lately? I haven't been catching up with the thread for a minute. Haven't gotten the plant yet, but maybe I will later down the line.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Hated user thing was my fault, sorry lol.

I have something to talk about:

How do you Ultimate’s hype cycle would’ve been handled if the reveals and deconfirms were in this order?

June/E3:
Shadow shown
Isaac shown
Shovel Knight shown.
Skull Kid shown (before the Moon)
:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultchrom:revealed.
Everything else is the same.

August:
:ultisabelle: trailer shown at the beginning
:ultincineroar::ultken: trailer (K.Rool replaced with :ultlittlemac: in the end with Ryu replacing him in the beginning) at the end of the Direct
:ultdarksamus: reveal
Spring-Man deconfirmed
Rex Mii outfit shown
Knuckles shown (after Shadow)
Krystal shown
Everything remains the same

October: (For Halloween)
:ultsimon::ultrichter: at the end of the general Direct with :ultluigi: to promote Mansion 3.
No Grinch leak

November:
Everything goes as normal
Spirits shown
Sakurai confirms that Spirits won’t be fighters.
The rest of the ATs are shown. (Every popular request was already deconfirmed at E3 softening the blow)
:ultpiranha: announced
Everything seems underwhelming until BOOM.
:ultkrool: at the end.
Would have gone so much better. Like, 10 times better. My heart would have been at rest had I known Shadow wasn't playable in June. Having so much evidence in his favor, plus the Grinch leak, made the deconfirmation incredibly difficult.

Sakurai really did Shadow and Isaac fans dirty

D

Deleted member

1st Party Developer: Manufactures a game console and develops exclusively for it.
In the case of Smash Bros., this is Nintendo and any subsidiary they own.
Characters like Kratos or Master Chief are ALSO 1st Party characters, but for Sony and Microsoft, respectively. This is why such characters are not eligible.

2nd Party Developer: Independent companies from console manufacturers, but develop content exclusively for said company on contract.
In the case of Smash Bros., this is what Rareware was in the time of Smash 64 and Melee.

3rd Party Developer: Developers that are "freelance" basically; they can develop their content on any of the consoles and aren't restricted to a single one barring console exclusivity contracts (for release of the IP; the IP itself is not owned in any way by the console manufacturer).

There is no such thing as a "4th Party" Developer, thus there is no such thing as a "4th Party" character.

Alternis

NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
They had to reveal the more hype characters first, just so they could assure buyers as soon as possible...

Besides, Smash as a franchise, never ended on a hype reveal...

Ever :olimar::4shulk:
I honestly think they revealed K. Rool early—at least, partially, since you gave the other option—to prevent him being leaked.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
:ultinkling: is the only one I'd call a lock. Splatoon was super popular during the planning phase with a sequel on the way, so including :ultinklingboy: made too much sense.

The rest weren't definite locks though...
Isabelle definitely was. In Japan she’s up there with Mario. She’s everywhere! No way they wouldn’t try getting her in this go around. Frankly I’m surprised she wasn’t in 4

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
1st Party Developer: Manufactures a game console and develops exclusively for it.
In the case of Smash Bros., this is Nintendo and any subsidiary they own.
Characters like Kratos or Master Chief are ALSO 1st Party characters, but for Sony and Microsoft, respectively. This is why such characters are not eligible.

2nd Party Developer: Independent companies from console manufacturers, but develop content exclusively for said company on contract.
In the case of Smash Bros., this is what Rareware was in the time of Smash 64 and Melee.

3rd Party Developer: Developers that are "freelance" basically; they can develop their content on any of the consoles and aren't restricted to a single one barring console exclusivity contracts (for release of the IP; the IP itself is not owned in any way by the console manufacturer).

There is no such thing as a "4th Party" Developer, thus there is no such thing as a "4th Party" character.
Even though it is not a term that means anything legally, if all of us here know what “4th Party” means, then it is a valid term in this context. That’s just how language works, words are added all of the time, a whole lot of them only valid among certain groups of people.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
They had to reveal the more hype characters first, just so they could assure buyers as soon as possible...

Besides, Smash as a franchise, never ended on a hype reveal...

Ever
No it didn’t and I didn’t say it did.

Although for once, they probably should’ve done it for the first time since things got really bad in November.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Might wanna word that differently because I was about to pop off so hard.

Oh ****!!!
You know I’m actually ok with this being a thing
it's aight but it isnt scout

D

Deleted member

No it didn’t and I didn’t say it did.

Although for once, they probably should’ve done it for the first time since things got really bad in November.
smh y'all are forgetting that Piranha Plant was the most hype reveal /s

Alternis

NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Even though it is not a term that means anything legally, if all of us here know what “4th Party” means, then it is a valid term in this context. That’s just how language works, words are added all of the time, a whole lot of them only valid among certain groups of people.
Tbh, I'm with Golden on this one. Sure, I know what someone means when they say "irregardless," but that doesn't mean I don't feel extremely annoyed by its use. It's incorrect either way.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah honestly I'm still rather pretty irked by that. It was like Sakurai intended to troll the fans having them be deconfirmed at the last minute with that "evidence". Was it that hard not to deconfirm them earlier saving them all the pain?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In the case of Smash, 3rd party also means "not owned by Nintendo". So characters like Kratos and Master Chief are 1st party to their developers, but still 3rd party characters in Smash context. But yes, this a fair point. Not that they can't get into Smash, just that they're not your typical 3rd party by definition.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We greatly over exaggerate the hype cycle being "bad". Aside from we, in the grand scheme, few hardcore Smash fans no one cares when it is announced just that it is. To everyone else it's more of a "oh cool this character is in now. Neat!" While we're over here losing our **** and going at each others throats over whether or not the ghost bird or the manly tiger is getting in.

D

Deleted member

I honestly think they revealed K. Rool early—at least, partially, since you gave the other option—to prevent him being leaked.
Think of the last two reveals.
One was used to tie-in an announcement of a future release and the other featured K. Rool as part of the cinematic.
They literally couldn't have had Isabelle or Ken/Incineroar in that reveal slot.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Yeah honestly I'm still rather pretty irked by that. It was like Sakurai intended to troll the fans having them be deconfirmed at the last minute with that "evidence". Was it that hard not to deconfirm them earlier saving them all the pain?
Yeah. It's my main gripe with the Ultimate hype cycle and why I had such a huge emotional crash after the deconfirmation. Why oh WHY did Sakurai think it was a good idea to get our hopes up like that, just to put them back in AT hell, probably for good?

It's very hard to say what his thought process was. He might not have thought or anticipated that we'd assume Isaac and Shadow had solid chances and, of course, could not predict the Grinch leak.

Idk man. It's now clear that Shadow died for Joker to get in, if he was even considered at all. :( I'm still enjoying Ultimate a ton and looking forward to DLC but it is really sad knowing that Shadow will likely never be in the lineup.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As said by Smashing Ramen guys. They revealed the most hyped because the earlier they do it, the bigger the exposure spreads and thus bigger sales.

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
In general, there just needs be to find a better way of deconfirming characters without there being too much salt.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Or maybe they were added back later in development. He doesn't develop everything altogether. Isaac was updated a bit, so maybe he simply was thought of on how to make more fun later on. Shadow might've had more to it than that. Maybe he was trying to get his rights for DLC, but it fell through, making him last minute.

There's really no reason to believe he was trolling. I do agree, however, that isn't any obvious reason for the reveal timings. For playable characters, sure, but everything else, who knows. It's kind of hard to tell why on some things.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
As said by Smashing Ramen guys. They revealed the most hyped because the earlier they do it, the bigger the exposure spreads and thus bigger sales.
Well it was the way to get us excited for the game and for more reveals. Also probably to stop leaks.

Honestly I was fine with the hype cycle until Kencineroar. In retrospect, it's so easy for us to criticize Sakurai for how he did things, but let's be real: before Kencineroar was confirmed in the final direct, how many of us were legitimately upset at how the news cycle went? I was pretty happy with the roster before the last direct, but because I had my hopes up and they were dashed, I think it impacted my view of the hype cycle too negatively.

And like NonSpecificGuy eloquently puts it, normies don't care about the hype cycle, because they only care in an offhand way. "Oh Ken made it? Wrestler kitty is in? AWESOME!" And they think nothing else of it until release

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Im still sad that Krystal got AT'd. If she was out completely she at least would have a DLC shot but unless AT promotions actually become a thing sometime in the future she is stuck in AT purgatory

Alternis

NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
In general, there just needs be to find a better way of deconfirming characters without there being too much salt.
I mean... isn't it the act of disconfirmation that creates salt, not the manner in which it occurs? I can't see a better way to do it...

In Isaac's case, he received incredible updates all around to his function and look, and overall was treated with respect in the direct, but people got upset anyway.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I did argue that Kencineroar trailer before K.Rool wouldn’t make sense since the latter appeared in it but then I thought they could possibly just use Little Mac at the end with Villager and Jr and have Ryu fight Ken at the beginning of the cinematic.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Shadow might've had more to it than that. Maybe he was trying to get his rights for DLC, but it fell through, making him last minute.
I don't find it to be out of the realm of possibility that Shadow was considered like Alucard, Decidueye, Rex and Spring Man. Same as I do with Monster Hunter.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Sakurai could up and leave if Nintendo did a season 2. He does not own the IP and Nintendo have a creative team in Namco to use.

With Iwata no longer around I do think they could be ruthless enough if it came to that.

I would be disappointed if Nintendo stopped the DLC moneymaker because their contractor wants out. Respect does not get you anywhere in business.
Nintendo wouldn’t pull a Konami on Sakurai no matter the situation
Hated user thing was my fault, sorry lol.

I have something to talk about:

How do you Ultimate’s hype cycle would’ve been handled if the reveals and deconfirms were in this order?

June/E3:
Shadow shown
Isaac shown
Shovel Knight shown.
Skull Kid shown (before the Moon)
:ultinkling::ultdaisy::ultridley::ultchrom:revealed.
Everything else is the same.

August:
:ultisabelle: trailer shown at the beginning
:ultincineroar::ultken: trailer (K.Rool replaced with :ultlittlemac: in the end with Ryu replacing him in the beginning) at the end of the Direct
:ultdarksamus: reveal
Spring-Man deconfirmed
Rex Mii outfit shown
Knuckles shown (after Shadow)
Krystal shown
Everything remains the same

October: (For Halloween)
:ultsimon::ultrichter: at the end of the general Direct with :ultluigi: to promote Mansion 3.
No Grinch leak

November:
Everything goes as normal
Spirits shown
Sakurai confirms that Spirits won’t be fighters.
The rest of the ATs are shown. (Every popular request was already deconfirmed at E3 softening the blow)
:ultpiranha: announced
Everything seems underwhelming until BOOM.
:ultkrool: at the end.
Lyn and Shadow both being deconfirmed at the same time would’ve been great...but noooooo...give me high hopes for Shadow
I can still taste the disappointment I had when Shadow got played

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I did argue that Kencineroar trailer before K.Rool wouldn’t make sense since the latter appeared in it but then I thought they could possibly just use Little Mac at the end with Villager and Jr and have Ryu fight Ken at the beginning of the cinematic.
You know I’m a little surprised :ultpacman: wasn’t at the end of that trailer considering he pretty much wears boxing gloves too,

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
ok so still trying to piece together latest news

Apparently Jack and Brave were removed from 2.0.0's files. Is that it? If so...tHeY kNoW

And I STILL don't know what happened to that doomguy, ryu hayabusa, erdrick, and steve leak. Who deconfirmed it?

Dee Dude

3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I mean... isn't it the act of disconfirmation that creates salt, not the manner in which it occurs? I can't see a better way to do it...
I dunno man maybe I’m just still butthurt about my characters not getting in lol.

Assist Trophies aren’t the bane of Smash’s existence, they’ve been a great idea for supporting characters and mooks like Hammer Bro, Jeff, Klaptrap, Kapp’n etc

It just kinda miffs me when they decide to put obvious roster candidates like Waluigi, Isaac, Lyn, and Bomberman into that position as a way of saying “Yeah, he/she’s not playable lol”

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's February guys! First month of 2019 has passed.

What I predict this month.

-An Pokemon Direct
-Tease of the next DLC fighter

That's it...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Are we still pretending Isaac, Shadow etc. fans didn't hype themselves over nothing and have right to blame marketing for their over-active imagination?

...I thought we left 2018 behind.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't find it to be out of the realm of possibility that Shadow was considered like Alucard, Decidueye, Rex and Spring Man. Same as I do with Monster Hunter.
Rex and Spring Man weren't actually considered. He noted they were popular characters who were impossible. Monster Hunter getting a character may have never been on the table. Separated series AT's are a thing as is, as proven with Bomberman. Capcom owns Monster Hunter. Getting an AT only as is from the series alone is completely reasonable.

There's no real evidence Shadow was considered, but it's not an illogical theory that he only got added last minute because plans for DLC fell through. Which explains showing up last minute among the Directs. That's when he was developed. Though the thing is, DLC seemed decided upon fairly late, besides obviously Piranha Plant. So the theory doesn't have much to it. Maybe he just wanted to show off new AT's first and that's all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom