• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really don't think Jane holds any significance and people are just freaking out over a single filename.

Now let's talk about how Brave is clearly Ringabel.

D

Deleted member

If DLC Echoes are happening, it could potentially lead to my most wanted, so yeah, Jane making it would be neato.

D

Deleted member

Jane train? I'll pass on that one I would rather have my profile picture be Doctor Strange in preparation for Endgame cause that movie will be amazing.

I'm simply more excited for Endgame cause that's something that will for sure happen instead of maybe happening since it's confirmed and all.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
My take on this is that considering how I didn't like people going "DK's fine now, we got K.Rool! Dixie? Never heard of her!" I don't like the idea that Dark Samus as an echo is enough for the Prime games. Sure, she got lucky but goddammit Sakurai why the hell does Dark Samus not have her goddamn Scattershot?
I'm totally with you. I hate the notion of dismissing Dixie just because we already got our "DK rep". *****, no, neither Dixie nor K. Rool supporters ever asked for the characters just because they repped a franchise. They asked for the characters because they enjoy said characters individually for their personality and design, see them as important parts to DK*, and are overall deserving newcomers.

*Somebody may address this point and say that it's the same as wanting them for being a DK newcomer. No, not quite. Wanting a Zinger in Smash just because it's from the DK franchise is wanting a character just because of their franchise. Wanting a character because they're important to their franchise is different, as it becomes less about the character belonging to the franchise and more about what they provide for said franchise. If Dixie was a Mario character and had the same prominence and importance to that series that she does in the DK series, I would want her just as much still.

Anyway, I think Dark Samus herself deserves to be developed into a full individual character in the future instead of just an echo more than anything else. There is far too much to pull from to just ignore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

smashboards 10 minutes ago: wow i love jill always will not a shill : )
vaan: It's 100% connected to Joker and isn't Jill
smashboards: Jill who? i love jane let's start this train never gonna fade : )
smashboards 10 minutes from now: Jane who? i love edea better than madea always stan 'er : )

S M H
M
H

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Vaan really ending the Jill Shills just as they started.
To be honest, the Jane files never confirmed Jill or even any ponytailed character; it was simply a bunch of happy coincidences and I choose to be excited instead of pragmatic sometimes.

I liked having the attention put on my character for once. But I like learning more about the inner workings of the game and applying that knowledge to predictions more.

Jill/Leon still have things outside of the coding available to us in their favor, and Joker having a realistic gun erases one small barrier for entry, since they no longer need to be Snake-ified to work. But what's more interesting to me now is: what happened to Jane?

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, I don’t think “Jane” was the true reason anyone was hyped for Jill being potentially in Smash. It was more that Shroob Shroob felt there could be a connection.

Doesn’t make Jill any more/less likely. Though, I feel good about Resident Evil x Smash in general.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I mean, the Phantom Thieves are all right on the box art, so it's pretty obvious who's going to join.

You can take as many jobs as you want, and it's encouraged since the different jobs open up different missions in Mementos.

Also how dare you say that Kawakami's Social Link was a bad idea. Kawakami is objectively one of, if not the best girl.
I got the digital version of the game, so I don't have the box art to work with; the Phantom Thieves seem to show up in the background when the icon is highlighted, but with everything in the way, it's hard to tell who's who.

As for Kawakami, it just seems weird that a bunch of students can hire their teacher as a maid, especially with all of the "implications" that come along with it. I'm hesitant to progress with that storyline as a result. Good to know about the jobs, though.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Finally got time to respond to this, while wearing a Jill Avatar ironically enough.

Counter argument:

Jill has been the star or co-star of just as many canonical RE games: RE1/REmake, RE3 and Revelations. RE5, the highest selling individual game in Capcom's history until Monster Hunter finally dethrones it, committed both of its story DLCs to letting the player play as Jill. She's commonly chosen as the first or second most iconic female protagonist in videogame history alongside Lara Croft, giving her a leg up in the "gaming icon" status for Smash Bros.
Leon, while not being one of the most iconic characters of all time, is arguably the lead poster boy for the Resident Evil games. A lot of advertising around Resident Evil 2 focused majorly on Leon as opposed to Claire, when Resident Evil 4 released he was the SOLE protagonist of the game with Jill being the ONLY other character to have shared this trait with Resident Evil 3. The difference? Resident Evil 4 has been released on nearly every console after the Gamecube including: Playstation 2, PC, Wii, iOS, Zeebo, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Android, Playstation 4, Xbox One, and very soon the Nintendo Switch. It's not really a stretch to say that you've probably seen Resident Evil 4 grace your respective consoles shop at SOME point. And who is always front and center? The Prettyboy himself, Leon. Comparitively. Resident Evil 3 has been released on: Playstation, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Playstation 3 and Playstation Vita as part of the PSone Classics line up, and PC, meaning that her solo outing has considerably less mainstream attention than Leon's. Not ONLY this but Resident Evil 3 is considered one of the more critically divisive entries in the series alongside Code: Veronica X.

All in all, not bad. Leon might have a leg up in this but what about the Icon Factor. Well, I'm one to argue that even though she is one of the most iconic female characters ever, if she's not the most iconic character in her franchise then what's the point? That honor would go to either Chris or LEON.

As for what you said would tip things in her favor, according to the extremely reliable RE leaker Aeshteticgamer, RE3make-- starring Jill-- is coming out in early 2020. Further, the director of the CGI movies stated that if he had the chance to make a fourth movie, he'd want Jill to be the star alongside Helena. As of summer 2017, this movie is rumored to be in production. Assuming that both of these rumors are true, Capcom would be more inclined to promote the character most closely associated with their upcoming releases, rather than the character most closely associated with a game that's already gone through the bulk of its sales.
Though all these upcoming games and movies COULD have tipped the scales in her favor we have to remember that the DLC's official list was decided very early in Smash Ultimate's development cycle, so closer to the end of 2016. A time where Resident Evil Vendetta, starring Leon, was in active production and Resident Evil 2 Remake was kicking into gear. Timing would dictate that Leon would be the one to be decided on at this point in development so I would think that if that were the case, Leon would be the one to make it in this Fighter's Pass. The Second One? Maybe not. Maybe Jill.

But in addition to this, Capcom has a habit of going back and forth between protagonists in order to keep any one of them getting over-exposed. Less than a decade ago, people complained about a total lack of Claire, only to then get a brand new appearance in the Mercs 3D game, a costar role in the first CGI film, her own Revelations game and a well-received appearance and character redesign in RE2make. Assuming that Capcom sticks to its habit of rotating featured cast, Jill is the one of the main four (Chris/Jill/Leon/Claire) due for a reappearance.
While this is certainly true, it is completely up in the air which direction Resident Evil 8 will take. Will it take a much more secluded, more player driven experience the way Resident Evil 7 did? Or will it take the more character oriented approach that has been so synonymous with the Resident Evil brand that Resident Evil 2 Remake brought back?

Resident Evil 3 Remake is definitely happening though, you're not wrong there. For what it's worth, if Resident Evil 3 DOES release at the beginning of next year it would mean that development of this game had to be well in since midway or even before the development of Resident Evil 2 Remake, which seems unlikely if they are using the RE Engine and some of the RE2 Assets. If not, then, oof. I hope the game turns out alright.
Further, Jill's inclusion in multiple MvC games in comparison to Leon's lack of any is a boon in her favor, I'd argue. You have two movesets from which to draw inspiration, depending upon Sakurai's decision to make a more "modern" RE5/Revelations Jill or a more "classic" RE1/RE3 Jill. But you have a starting point either way.
While Jill's inclusion in the 3 MvC games is a big boon for her, Sakurai often doesn't pay much attention to other crossovers and often ops to craft his own moveset out of the characters specific games. Snake and Simon both have very little resemblance to their counterparts in Dream Mix TV World Fighters. Mega Man is an entirely original take on a fighting game Mega Man with the only moves being considerably inspired by MvC or other games is the Mega Upper and Mega Buster. Ryu is obviously the most inspired by MvC due to his moveset carrying directly from Street Fighter II/Alpha to X-Men vs. Street Fighter and his Smash appearance is lifted directly from Street Fighter II. Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Sonic, Cloud, and Joker are all entirely original and exclusively inspired by their games.

If Sakurai were to go for a character in Resident Evil, it's likely he'd start the whole character process from scratch, taking little to no references from their previous crossover appearances. Which puts Jill and Leon on even ground.

Your turn, prettyboy.

You're up, hotshot.

Final Note:
On the risk of seeming like the Jill Valentine Villain, I feel I have some things to say.

Me and Staind going back and forth like this is all in good fun. I think we both feel that if we get any kind of Resident Evil Representation in Smash Bros. it's a win for us. The semantics I have going on them is just meant to be two Resident Evil fans hashing it out to who is more likely than the other, and it's all speculative and circumstantial. I think it's clear to see that while Staind grew up on REmake, noting his love of Chris and Jill, I grew up on Resident Evil 4. No joke, across my Gamecube and Wii I have finished that game over 50 times. I'll have to get a picture to prove it sometime. So, obviously when I pick my Resident Evil character I pick Leon. When Staind picks their Resident Evil character they pick Jill. But I think in all honesty we'd be both overjoyed by either outcome and be flabbergasted and stoked if both happen. Which actually isn't that unlikely considering the possibility of Echoes and Alternates. Besides, we may go back and forth about which one is more Iconic or Popular than the other, but in actuality, it's a DAMN close race. Closer than any other popularity race I've ever scene. One that basically makes one JUST as popular as the other.

Anyways, I support Jill, I support Leon just a tiny bit more, but more than anything, I just love and support Resident Evil. One of the best damn game franchises to ever exist. And I got Staind as someone I can actually talk to about it.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
As for Kawakami, it just seems weird that a bunch of students can hire their teacher as a maid, especially with all of the "implications" that come along with it. I'm hesitant to progress with that storyline as a result. Good to know about the jobs, though.
As long as you DON'T DATE HER it's pretty kosher.

D

Deleted member

smashboards 10 minutes ago: wow i love jill always will not a shill : )
vaan: It's 100% connected to Joker and isn't Jill
smashboards: Jill who? i love jane let's start this train never gonna fade : )
smashboards 10 minutes from now: Jane who? i love edea better than madea always stan 'er : )

S M H
M
H
I've stayed consistent with who I want.

Octolings and Katamari Prince; it's totally happening, just you wait.

D

Deleted member

no it's ok the jane war is over it's fine let's just chill
jane is the worst thing to ever exist. it is dumb that people even thought that she had a chance. she is ugly and stupid. the worst thing ever. dumb. ugly. dumb. stupid. she will never be a joker echo

noi the jane war is over. noi calm down. noi chill

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Probably because people have come at peace with the fact that he's pretty much in, and no longer want to argue about it, because anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
i never said nor believed it was 100% erdrick

im still on the side that'll say "told you so" if it actually turns out to not be erdrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom