• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
smt is the hamon
personas are the stands

long live ghosts that punch things really hard

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Okay first of all Dark Samus shouldn't have been An echo

Second: why does Everyone blindly assume the DLC van simply not be 1st party?
3rd parties are simply more hype to the general public. I'm sad to say it, but Plant is likely the last 1st party we'll get for a long time.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
On what basis? She totally could have, and she totally was.

Let the fact that she's playable be more important than the fact that she isn't completely faithful. Because :ultganondorf: she :ultdarkpit: is :ultlink: far :ultike: from :ultsnake: the :ultsonic: first :ultluigi: to :ultfalcon: suffer :ultridley: from :ultmetaknight: this

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

i'm not sure the entire pass will be third party, but DLC is a much more attractive proposition for third parties than base game - with DLC, they get a cut of every sale, whereas base game third parties only incur a one-time licensing fee iirc

you have to remember that the only first party newcomer in smash 4's DLC was a promotional pick that sakurai wasn't even 100% sold on, whereas the other 3 newcomers were all third parties

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Holy **** I just got the first draft of my commissioned music and it's ****ing bomb.

This is one of the best Easters ever, between this and the Jillpocalypse.

D

Deleted member

3rd parties are simply more hype to the general public.
I can agree with you there
I'm sad to say it, but Plant is likely the last 1st party we'll get for a long time.
And now you completely lost me there's no way PPlant will be the last First Party rep for a long time, For Ultimate? Maybe but for Smash 6 and beyond? No way there's still so many 1st parties they could use be it BDee, Dixie and Waluigi to Isaac, Chorus Kids and other Retro Reps.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
The belief that it would sell more.
They're more difficult to make, more difficult to get the rights to. Also: Nintendo makes heeps of money from promotional tie-ins they wouldn't get when using characters from other companies.
Plus, while the more dedicated players Will probably buy all characters anyway, the casual crowd probably doesn't recognise half the characters if everything is 3d party.
And then there's the option that Nintendo might pick characters for completely different reasons or Sakurai Just picks characters he likes.

There are way too many factors in play for any of us to predict "what Will make the most money", let alone for us to predict what Nintendo thinks will make the most money.

You can't Just assume things!

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
That Pac-Man emote has gotten old to be honest.
I mean no offense.
I know you've "totally promised to stop", but you can't call out people for using an emote when you've gone on record and posted the same picture of Joker over and over again. :4pacman:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
what the **** is going on here and what is this?

What did I miss guys
The J-Virus is spreading.

There is no cure.

It's just Edeaboards 2.0. I don't know when it started exactly.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

You can say she shouldn’t have been an echo all you want, but without that there likely would’ve only been Ridley joining Smash. I can’t even tell you to be grateful for the character getting in without something being used to ruin it

Also 3rd parties are usually the most hype newcomers (:ultridley::ultkrool: are exceptions of course)
I can agree with you there

And now you completely lost me there's no way PPlant will be the last First Party rep for a long time, For Ultimate? Maybe but for Smash 6 and beyond? No way there's still so many 1st parties they could use be it BDee, Dixie and Waluigi to Isaac, Chorus Kids and other Retro Reps.
More than likely this is only about Smash Ultimate...it’d be ****ing stupid to not have new Nintendo characters in future Smash games
I'm sorry, but there's no better way to show off our good ol' sense of snark :4pacman:

Roberk

Smash Champion
They're more difficult to make, more difficult to get the rights to. Also: Nintendo makes heeps of money from promotional tie-ins they wouldn't get when using characters from other companies.
Plus, while the more dedicated players Will probably buy all characters anyway, the casual crowd probably doesn't recognise half the characters if everything is 3d party.
And then there's the option that Nintendo might pick characters for completely different reasons or Sakurai Just picks characters he likes.

There are way too many factors in play for any of us to predict "what Will make the most money", let alone for us to predict what Nintendo thinks will make the most money.

You can't Just assume things!
>The casual crowd doesn’t recognize 3rd party characters. 3rd party characters like Joker, who’s reveal and release were highly trending on Twitter and broke Nintendo’s servers.
>Casuals would recognize Sylux, a barely developed side character from Metroid.
Got it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Characters can now be deconfirmed by a random group of fans deciding they don't think they're hype enough
You have not been paying attention the whole argument, have you? You're being so salty rn and it's showing.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Characters can now be deconfirmed by a random group of fans deciding they don't think they're hype enough
Wow, way to take our argument and twist it around so you look good. Feel good about yourself?

It could easily be the other way around. "Characters can now be confirmed by a random fan deciding that inconsequential pieces of evidence totally mean confirmation".

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
You can say she shouldn’t have been an echo all you want, but without that there likely would’ve only been Ridley joining Smash. I can’t even tell you to be grateful for the character getting in without something being used to ruin it

Also 3rd parties are usually the most hype newcomers (:ultridley::ultkrool: are exceptions of course)
Off course I'm greatfull for Dark Samus, even if she is An echo, but people can't Just say "Metroid has had enough this game" when one of them is An echo.

As for "exceptions", there are always exceptions. You don't know what Nintendo Deems to be "exceptions'

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

In other news, apparently the P3P Female Protag's canon name is officially Minako Arisato.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Now, people have pointed out that I was rude. I was. I played to the jillpocalypse game by trying to go the oposite direction. Just fun and games untill I Saw how hard I was being made fun of for saying Sylux was in. I was honestly surprised by the amount of... Ridicule comming my way.

I'm sorry for the "losers" remark. When saying that I hadn't planned to actually preach Sylux, I was simply rebelling against all the Jills.

Lets take this from the top:

Sylux is one of the Hunters: sidecharacters and bosses seen in MPH and MP3 (not the same hunters)
Among these hunters, Sylux has been set up to be sort of the main one. He's been mentioned be the developer of the prime series as a character he wants to Explore in depth in MP4 and he's appeared in the post-credits scènes of MP3 and Federation Force.

Does this role and his missing spirit confirm anything? No! Hunters are only side-characters, after all.
But when three other hunters (Gandrayda, Trace and Kanden) being repped as Spirits and a fourth (Spire) being a colour swap force Dark Samus, it's clear the smash team wanted to include the hunters. It's Just strange that the one Hunter being set up for a bigger role is nowhere to be found.

This hinges on two things:
Will his role in MP4 be as big as people are assuming? No way to tell.
Will there Just be a promotional spirit later? I don't think so. Overlapping Spirits happen constantly so it would make sense. And even if this could happen, you can't Just say "het might be a promotional spirit so het definitely wont be anything else than a promotional spirit!"

Now I dont have sources and I don't have sales figures but you can't simply wave this off as the bias of some dumb metriod fanboy.

Oh and BTW: the Idea that every single DLC character is definitely some Giant world changing hype machine is based on nothing. Who ever said cool, 1st party characters can't be DLC?
Let's take this from the top:
  • Sylux is a side character within his own series. While it could be argued that major players (Samus, Dark Samus, and Ridley) are out of the way, his status as a side character remains. While the devs of Metroid Prime want to do something with him, this doesn't translate to Smash Bros. at all, making it a false equivalency.
  • Again, you make a false equivalency. It could be as simple as Sylux simply didn't occur to the devs to add as a spirit or alt. It's surely "strange," but it doesn't mean much in terms of evidence.
  • Overlapping Spirits barely happen at all. I could count instances of them on my two hands.
  • Yes, we can say "he might be a promotional spirit so he definitely won't be anything else" given previous observations of in-game promotion for new Nintendo titles. There is no precedent for promotional characters in Ultimate.
  • If you don't have sources or sales figures to back up your argument it is easy to attribute it to fan bias.
  • The idea that DLC characters having to be hype-worthy is based in reality. Take this statement from Nintendo's investor's meeting:
    • "With Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, we asked 'How could we reach not only fans of the Super Smash Bros. series, but also those who had never played it before?' If you look at the demographics of the consumers who purchased each of these titles, Iʼm not convinced weʼve completely overcome these challenges yet. So our aims are to keep working on them this year, to expand sales of these titles to new consumer demographics, and to keep selling these games for a long time, which is one of our strengths."
      • Sylux definitely isn't going to reach non-Smash fans given that the overlap between Metroid fans and Smash fans is immense, nor would he really reach Smash fans either as there exist many more popular picks in the core fanbase.

Surely you can do better than this.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
It could easily be the other way around. "Characters can now be confirmed by a random fan deciding that inconsequential pieces of evidence totally mean confirmation".
if you take the second and fourth letters from 'jane', swap them around, swap them around, you get 'EA' - the true masterminds behind super smash brothers' malicious DLC practices

now, what's smash full of? that's right, nintendo characters. and what are nintendo games? that's right, games for babies. and what kind of games do babies play? yup, educational games. therefore, smash is an educational game - we could shorten that to an 'edu' game, but that still seems too long-winded. how about 'ed' instead, like the old ed edd and eddy cartoon? that's right, kids love cartoons for babies.

now, what if we were to put these two related factors - 'EA', and 'ed' - together, arranging the pieces back to front from second to first?

yup

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
sylux from dragon ball z is my favorite anime hero

everyone knows him

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

In other news, apparently the P3P Female Protag's canon name is officially Minako Arisato.
That's so ****ing duuuuuuuumb.
Why are we stuck with Makoto Yuuki when Minato Arisato works far better and isn't mixed with another popular Persona characteeeeeeeer.

Also speaking of the poll, please put Demi-fiend from Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne in the "other" category.
After all, it won't take away from any of your other options:
https://heroesrequests.sega.com/s3/SEGA-Heroes-character-requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom