• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Hey now hold on a sec, there. I said I'd kill off my persona, meme folder AND soul, but didn't say my account specifically.

I can see why peoole think I'm deleting my account, since my gimmick is my main reason for my account in the first place.
Isn't your soul practically tied to your account though? Satan isn't particularly specific about the terminology, you know.

D

Deleted member

"We at Nintendo kindly ask you pay us money for our state of the art online service".

Boy, I sure can't wait for them to raise the price on this thing! It'll be worth every penny with how reliable it is : )

Thanks for the fights everyone, lol. I was gonna call it good soon anyways.

D

Deleted member

Incineroar is so fun.
I literally did a 0-death combo by only using nair.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I hate ganondorf so much I want him nerfed!:mad:
Don’t @ me
No. He must be buFfeD.
I want more range on that forward smash, Sakurai.
Also make his nose a permanently active hitbox.

D

Deleted member

"We at Nintendo kindly ask you pay us money for our state of the art online service".

Boy, I sure can't wait for them to raise the price on this thing! It'll be worth every penny with how reliable it is : )

Why use Nintendo Online when you can use Google Slides?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Erdrick for DLC
~Info, Leaks, and Datamines~

Since the release of Smash Ultimate, there's been significant information about Erdrick showing up as a dlc fighter.

In december some anonymous leaks popped up on 5ch, a japanese text forum, and one of them turned out to be quite notable for the information in it. It listed the two first dlc characters, one being Joker, and the other being Erdrick. Joker had already been revealed, but the rest of the details are important.

Here is a translated version of it:
Source (in japanese): Joker + Edrick

5chan leak said:
Joker
The stage is Mementos
Jack Frost appears on screen with a skill
Marketing of P5R (complete version) and P5U (fighting game)
P5R is 2019
P5U is delayed because Arc is busy with the development of a Granblue fighting game

Erdrick
Stage is Alefgard
Erdrick (Male) and Erdrick (Female), 2 colors each of Anlucia and the Dragon Quest XI Hero
Slime appears on screen with a skill
Achieved through active collaboration on Square’s side
To the benefit of overseas marketing for the DQ series
Among the claims, It lists that Mementos is the stage coming with Joker. As it turns out, it was much later found through datamined data that it is highly likely the case. Dataminers had come to know that 'jack' is the codename given for joker in the Ultimate's data, and these strings were uncovered:

It also lists two versions for Persona 5, to come in the future. P5R did get revealed later on, and according to [IMG]https://smashboards.com/data/avatars/s/270/270458.jpg?1543770046[/IMG] PolarPanda , who has some inside information, there is actually a P5U game that's been delayed.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This significantly boosts the credibility of the leak, even if we can't know about the rest of the information being right yet.
As for what the leak says on Erdrick being a dlc fighter, it's interesting that it lists two other characters as alternate costumes, Anlucia and Luminary.

Luminary is the main protagonist from Dragon Quest 11, the most recent Dragon Quest game, and Anlucia is a main character from Dragon Quest 10. Both are heroes that use swords and magic just like Erdrick. (Note : there is no main character in the tenth game because it's an MMO, where you can totally customize your character, so Anlucia is the next best choice.) Both are modern characters that could contrast nicely with Erdrick as a retro pick. Character heights are pretty variable with Dragon Quest, so they could easily be designed to work fine as one fighter in Smash.

It's hinted that Luminary has some kind of relation with Erdrick. The specifics involve a spoiler from his game, so read at your own discretion:
Spoiler At the end of Dragon Quest XI, Luminary is given the title of Erdrick, as a legendary hero. Not only that, but an ending scene from the game is a recreation of an opening scene from Dragon Quest III and its world, strongly suggesting that the timeline is related and that both heroes are connected somehow.
As for Anlucia, there is no connection that we know of, but Dragon Quest X is still a modern game in the series and can fill for another female alt since Luminary has no female version.
She is recognizable enough in japan to be in the latest 'Itadaki Street' game along with Final Fantasy characters (as a crossover).

This is her appearance in that game. Notice that it's a shorter (chibi) version of her, adding to that heights can be pretty flexible.

I might as well share a chibi Luminary too:

Insiders & Leakers

In addition to the anonymous leak, there are leakers that have mentioned Erdrick. Two of the most notable ones are Tansut and Vergeben.
Tansut leaked Cloud as Smash 4 dlc before his reveal, and recently mentioned that he knew about him far in advance. He says that this same source told him Erdrick is going to be a dlc fighter, with a male and female alt.

As for Vergeben, he was the most notable leaker during this smash cycle. His information was correct about most characters coming to the game before they were revealed (including that all veteran characters would be returning). He knew about some of the characters way in advance too. And, he's recently backed Erdrick for being Square Enix's second fighter, as dlc.
Source

Lately, Vergeben's credibility has been put in question because he got information wrong in February's Nintendo Direct. He made claims about games that did not pan out. It does hurt his image, however it's important to know that from everything said, his main sources were not the ones that gave him the false information. A user called ZenythVidya pressed him for having poorly made assumptions around the information he had, and released private messages about what he did know.

1) Private messages shared with Vergeben, showing that he also had good information:
(https://i.imgtc.com/5Pr0QCk.png)

2) Zenyth's post about how Verge could've cleared things up

More from Zenyth:
Source Other leakers and insiders have talked about Erdrick, like Hitagi and xenother, though they don't have as good of a track record. (Note: xenother does not have a public record for leaking, but PolarPanda has backed him for having insider information.)

Datamine

Smash Ultimate was datamined and they found data for new fighters. There were two after piranha plant and both were codenamed. The first was named 'Jack', which refers to Joker, while the second is called 'Brave'. There was also fighter data for both.

Raw Data for the 'brave' fighter: https://puu.sh/CtLjZ.jpg
Stats:
Weight — 101
Max Walk Speed — 1.28
Max Run Speed — 1.74
Air Speed — 1.2
Fall Speed — 1.9
Fast Fall Speed — 2.88
Gravity — .09
Height — 13
Shield Size — 11.8
Jumps — 2
Wall Jump — False
Wall Cling — False
Crawl — False
Tether — False
What's key here is the codename itself. Dragon Quest protagonists are Heroes, and in japanese they are called Yuusha. The word can directly translate to Brave. It can be used as a noun, so even though it doesn't make sense in english, it's possible to inadvertently call a DQ hero a 'brave'. This is further backed by the fact that even the general director for the Kirby series called their shield 'the brave's shield':

Source

This leads a lot of people to believe that the codename in the data refers to a hero from Dragon Quest. It could also be something diferent, but it strengthens the case for Erdrick nonetheless.

One issue that some people have regarding the data is that the height stat is around Ness'. This isn't really a problem though, for three reasons. One is that a lot of data changes, especially for characters in early development, even piranha plant's data significantly changed between patches. The second is that the height stat is not taken directly from the model's height, as there are differences that the stat doesn't reflect. It may simply be used for some calculations within the game. It's still generally correlated with the characters' height, but may not need to be finalized until the end of development. It'll be easier to confirm this once we see Joker's model in the game.
Here is KuroganeHammer's post on pirahna plant changes. He takes care of a site dedicated to data on smash characters.
And here are extra tweets from other people about character data:

The third reason that the height stat is no problem for erdrick is also an excuse to post more art ;)
The original artwork for Erdrick was chibi (a.ka. short) in style. Bonus: The second image here shows off the armor suit.

And here is some art from the Gameboy Color manual (for chibi female):

Erdrick did undergo a few revisions throughout the years. There are various designs that could be used, and sakurai could either go for a smaller retro one or one of the more modern designs, or maybe some kind of mixed redesign. In whatever case there's plenty of potential.
Teeb147 Teeb147 's writeup on Erdrick is really well done, so I decided to bring it over here.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
So uh... what was that arena ID again?

Man. You really got the worst luck Idon.

No. He must be buFfeD.
I want more range on that forward smash, Sakurai.
Also make his nose a permanently active hitbox.
We need to increase the knockback on all of his moves.

D

Deleted member

I'm out at the moment, but if anyone's curious, one of the main topics of the current SpawnCast right now is thr confusion with Nintendo Directs this month.

Funnily enough, you know who is there.

D

Deleted member

I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of neutral a little bit, but I need to get better at reading my opponent.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Eddikk reminds of something from Junji Ito. I could post what I think it reminds me of, but I am not sure if it's a good idea.... for the sake and sanity of this thread.
Well whattya know, I just mentioned ol' Junji Ito last night. I think you can post an image as long as it's in spoilers and there's no blood or sexual imagery...

D

Deleted member

We need to increase the knockback on all of his moves.
And remove all endlag for his smashes.

Although, I’d love for the hitlag for his moves to be increased. It wouldn’t improve or make his competitive viability worse, but every hit would be so crunchy and satisfying.

D

Deleted member

Well whattya know, I just mentioned ol' Junji Ito last night. I think you can post an image as long as it's in spoilers and there's no blood or sexual imagery...
In that case
me after discussing erdrick again am i right lads #relatable

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
In that case
This is my hole! It was made for me!!!

i love junji ito's books so much

D

Deleted member

This is my hole! It was made for me!!!

i love junji ito's books so much
I love Junji Ito, I do, but christ his endings are so unsatisfying. Like that one where it's about people getting stuck in the shower pipes and it just abruptly ends. It makes me go from horrified to a bit annoyed.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
In that case
I'm actually more concerned that that image spoils the story more than how freaky it looks. Everyone needs to read Enigma of Amigara Fault at least once in their lives... :yoshi:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of neutral a little bit, but I need to get better at reading my opponent.
I'm pretty much the exact opposite.

I'm not really the best at neutral, so I usually just throw out aerials and tilts for spacing.

Plus a lot of the characters I play have either one projectile or none at all, so that doesn't really help.

But where I excel is reading my opponent. And it definitely helps that I main :ultridley::ultbowser: since I can 0 to death someone with just a few good reads.

D

Deleted member

Eddick must be in

He must

He must

He must
He must
He must
He must
He must
He musthemusthemusthemusthemusthemust
No, there is not enough evidence to fully support them.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
20190411_211053.jpg

My favorite Ito story is Uzumaki, which is why I own this shirt.

I love Junji Ito, I do, but christ his endings are so unsatisfying. Like that one where it's about people getting stuck in the shower pipes and it just abruptly ends. It makes me go from horrified to a bit annoyed.
You're not wrong. None of his stories really have an ending. It's just "hey, the spooky thing's still out there, the end".

D

Deleted member

No, there is not enough evidence to fully support them.
There is though and it's gotten to the point that you could make an argument that Erdrick has more going for him than even Incineroar during base game.

What did Incineroar do? He got in and the same thing will likely happen for Erdrick, Of course you could get Lucky and Erdrick doesn't get in but that's pretty unlikely.

Almost everything is pointing towards him than not so while he might not be in that's a rather unlikely outcome.

D

Deleted member

Remember fellas.

If Erdrick is in, I will take a shower. And then the next day, and the next.

Your move, gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom