• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm only confident in Erdrick as far as DLC Characters go.

Banjo is looking likely too but I'm not certain on him yet, He'll be awesome but I don't want to get my hopes up.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Nope. First Party. Check it out, straight from the game itself.
View attachment 205877
Huh. I learned something today.

Even still, I enjoyed it because it was a Ninja Theory game. I've always been a fan of their work. I'm glad Sony footed the bill for that one but the fact that it was branded Sony wasn't what made me like it. In the same way that I love Street Fighter V but that's because Capcom made it. (And I ****ing hate that I can't just play it on my goddamn Xbox.)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Did someone say degenerate Square Enix characters?

Because I've got an android for you.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Did you forgot that those files disappeared after we saw what the stats looked like on ike?

And when that happened Sora and banjo gained a lot of traction, especially the former? I don’t think that can guarantee anything either way
My dude I'm pretty sure Erdrick gained a large amount of traction considering the ****ing codename by then too.

D

Deleted member

I guess I know an example that won't cause drama, he'd often send warnings for posts that break the rules. Not "Dear poster, you have received a warning" like how it's supposed to be done but he'd DM you and go "Hey maybe don't do that." It becomes a problem if another mod sees the post and sees there's been no warning given, thinking "Hey, nobody has noticed this, I'm going to send them a warning". It's double work for mods and considering my already negative stance on how moderation is handled on the site, wouldn't you agree it's better to have less double work and instead have the mods check new things which may have actually been missed instead of 'handled but not really'? Besides, his last 2 posts were in January in the news section about him stepping down and in October so how the hell is he still a mod if he's so inactive? He stepped down because IRL stuff was making it harder to combine SG and his actual life so what are the chances he'd even go here for mod duties between all that then? You respectfully remove his mod privileges until he can come back regularly so that someone else who CAN mod now can do his job
Thanks, that's interesting, but it doesn't seem particularly relevant to the accuracy of his work, just shows he aint a great moderator.

D

Deleted member

Smash fanbase: "Man wouldn't it be funny if Erdrick wasn't in?"
Erdrick: "I'm right here."
Smash fanbase: "Imagine that."
Erdrick: "Please stop ignoring me."
Smash fanbase: "Can't wait for Sora or Geno."
Erdrick: "Am I a joke to you?"

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
As far as confidence in DLC goes...

I'm pretty confident in a Square Rep, but I'm not confident enough in anyone specifically.

And... that's pretty much it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Huh. I learned something today.

Even still, I enjoyed it because it was a Ninja Theory game. I've always been a fan of their work. I'm glad Sony footed the bill for that one but the fact that it was branded Sony wasn't what made me like it. In the same way that I love Street Fighter V but that's because Capcom made it. (And I ****ing hate that I can't just play it on my goddamn Xbox.)
I understand. It actually kind of sucks that they won't be able to work on a sequel anymore because now they're a first party Xbox Studio. I don't know. Maybe they could bring on PlatinumGames? Nariko will always be a PlayStation All-Star to me.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Bit of a weird question, but this just came to my mind: Have you ever thought of a character that had too MUCH moveset potential? As in it’d be hard to narrow down what moves would represent them the best in Smash?
Shadow. Well, sort of. He doesn't really fit this description because it'd be easy to give Shadow a moveset (just echo of Sonic with teleportation up-B). But he also has a lot of chaos powers in his games and I think part of the reason he might have been rejected, if he was even considered at all, was because they didn't have enough time to buckle down and give him some unique moves to make fans happy. Shadow can be his own full-fledged fighter with Chaos powers and guns but if he ever gets in, nigh guaranteed he's just a pure Sonic echo.

D

Deleted member

If Erdrick does get in and I am wrong, then the thought of the composer being in my game is going to hurt me.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
There’s nothing to solid going in edericks favor.
>"there's nothing solid going in Erdrick's favor"
>"the proof in Erdrick's favor, while solid, does not guarantee that it's Erdrick, even though he's the most likely scenario from what we know as of now"

One of those statements is true.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Thanks, that's interesting, but it doesn't seem particularly relevant to the accuracy of his work, just shows he aint a great moderator.
I'm just saying he doesn't handle stuff well all the time, the fact he was so smug in that Geno video doesn't help either. Not even saying he's a bad person, but it's like going "HEY GUYS GORDON RAMSEY MADE A VIDEO GAME!" Like, sure he's an amazing chef who knows his **** about restaurants but that doesn't make me think he's good at this other thing
if anything erdrick gained like 99% of the total traction from the stats being discovered
And then it gets hilarious when we remember that the ****ing Plant stats changed quite a bit between updates meaning the stats aren't a perfect basis to use

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh my friend how flawed your argument is. Take a look at these excerpts from my Ultimate Square Enix Character Argument
For one, a Square Enix character in Smash Ultimate has to be one of, if not the worst kept secret in Nintendo history. We've known about this since at least October, and the rumblings of it began as early as March when the game was first teased. While many believe that leakers have been "BTFO" with the advent of no one knowing about Joker or his impending reveal at The Game Awards, too many people have heard about this for it NOT to happen at this point. Unless Nintendo and Square Enix are playing 5 Dimensional Chess and spreading misinformation about there being a Square Enix character for ****s and giggles, we're getting one, and the misinformation is to mask who it is. Of course, we have that supposed list of 7 characters and accounts of who made it to negotiations and who didn't, but seeing as Nintendo have shown themselves capable of spreading convincing misinformation (Every insider claimed we were getting Metroid Prime and no Smash at The Game Awards only for us to get Joker) I would throw everything we know about the Square Enix character out of the window. For the sake of this post, I'll be doing just that, and I'll be arguing why we should ALL do that in my next speculation piece.

Even if the leaks are fake, I believe there's reason to believe that we're getting a Square Enix character. For one, Square Enix has been oddly liberal with their IPs as of late, adding Noctis (Final Fantasy XV) into Tekken, Behemoth (Final Fantasy) in Monster Hunter, Assassin's Creed with Final Fantasy XV, and 2B (Nier: Automata) into Soul Calibur 6. When discussing how Noctis got into Tekken, it was stated that it was due to the relationship between Tekken producer Katsuhiro Harada and Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata, showing that all it takes is some good blood to get the ball rolling. Fortunately, not only is Sakurai friends with Tetsuya Normura, but Square Enix seems to be in a second golden age with Nintendo, with Octopath Traveler performing better than expected. Prior to its release, Square Enix said that if Octopath Traveler was successful, they would focus on the Switch as a console; staying true to their word Square Enix telling those present at an earnings conference to expect more games like Octopath Traveler and creating a division to specifically focus on making Switch games. Square Enix has every reason to go to Nintendo and get a character of their's in Smash; it's win-win, they get exposure for one of their series, and Nintendo gets massive press for Smash Bros.
This is what inspired me to write this post, given that people have argued for Sora, Geno, and other roster picks citing all of these articles but never Erdrick or another Dragon Quest character. You can thank me later @Calane

Anyways, let's begin with a history lesson. Dragon Quest is the grandfather of the entire RPG genre, with the first game in the series releasing on the NES an entire year and a half before the first Final Fantasy game. It is Square Enix's 2nd best selling series, sitting at 75 million units sold as of a year ago between its main titles and spin-offs, and has a long history with Nintendo, with every main entry in the series being playable on Nintendo consoles (only 2 of 11 main series games weren't on Nintendo consoles initially, being 7 and 8, though they later received 3DS remakes). Nintendo even published Dragon Quest I, VI, VII, VIII, and IX within Western countries. IX is notable as it was a third-party DS game published by Nintendo, something only done for Dragon Quest and Level-5 games in the DS era. Mario and co. have also crossed over with the Dragon Quest bunch multiple times in the Fortune Street series, creating a precedent for a crossover between Nintendo and Dragon Quest. More recently, Dragon Quest XI was one of the first games revealed for the Nintendo Switch, then called the Nintendo NX, and more recently has been announced to be an upgraded version named Dragon Quest XI S (appearing at this year's Jump Festa), which will include voice acting among other new features. Needless to say, the ties between Nintendo and Dragon Quest are VERY strong.

Additionally Dragon Quest's is a cultural phenomenon in Japan. This game series is so large that it's spawned an urban myth on the level of "the average human eats 8 spiders in their sleep per year" about there being a law that Dragon Quest games had to be released on weekends, or that when Dragon Quest games released it was akin to a national holiday. While there is a Dragon Quest Day, it's an unofficial holiday, and in reality, 300 kids were arrested for truancy when Dragon Quest III released and muggings of Dragon Quest games became so widespread that there were hearings about in the Japanese parliament, leading the developers to feel bad about creating a nationwide issue and moving the game's release dates to the weekend. The series is large enough to be a common conversation topic in Japan, and is considered by many within the Japanese gaming industry to be Japan's national game. I **** you not, this series is so big that it caused the entire staff of the HiatusxHiatus HunterxHunter anime to go on hiatus JUST TO PLAY DRAGON QUEST, the series has a world record in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the first game to inspire a ballet, and has an amusement park attraction at Universal Studios Japan (where Nintendo will be soon), that's is how big this series is.

Due to Dragon Quest's Japanese popularity, Sakurai talks about it quite a bit. In the Sakurai x Normura Interview Sakurai mentions game designer Yosuke Saito (who worked on Dragon Quest X) on "a list of game designers born in 1970, [where] there's quite a few big names" alongside Hideki Kamiya, Yoko Taro, and John Carmack, and participated in a roundtable discussion with series creator Yuji Horii and Junichi Masuda of Pokémon fame where they discussed Dragon Quest XI. He's notably advocated for the series twice, first in 2011 when he stood up for Dragon Quest X and expressed that he looks forward to it, and plays Devil's Advocate for the series' difficulty, also directly acknowledging the series' popularity in the process, and went far as finding a workaround to play Dragon Quest Heroes among other games while recovering from his arm injury.. Sakurai also notably lists Dragon Quest III alongside Megaman, Final Fantasy, and Ocarina of Time among others when talking about anniversaries, and COMPARES KIRBY (you know, that one character that HE CREATED AND TREATS LIKE HIS CHILD) TO THE MAIN CHARACTER OF A DRAGON QUEST GAME. Needless to say, Dragon Quest is on Sakurai's radar.

Now, to address the common counterarguments:
The first is the series' western popularity. While the series is certainly historic, and is amazingly popular in Japan, it largely lacks a presence in the West, with 3 million+ out of 4 million copies (more than 75%) of Dragon Quest XI being sold in Japan instead of the West. It's no small secret that Square Enix has been fighting a decades long battle (sometimes alongside Nintendo) to make Dragon Quest popular in the West, and it seems like they're stacking the deck to make Dragon Quest XI the game that breaks through. I believe that Square Enix would be willing to make a gamble on the inclusion of a Dragon Quest character in Smash Bros. in an attempt to boost the series' western popularity. We've seen a good amount people interested in playing Persona with the inclusion of Joker, and "the Smash effect" could similarly boost Dragon Quest's western sales in the future.

Second, the licensing. Many people cite Dragon Quest as a "licensing nightmare" in an attempt to discredit the series' inclusion, but it's not as complicated as you'd think. Dragon Quest as a whole is between four parties: Square Enix (Development, IP ownership), Armor Project (game design), Bird Studio (character design), and Koichi Sugiyama (music). Of those four, two are no problem to deal with, being Square Enix and Armor Project, run by series' director Yuji Horii, both of whom have benefitted from positive relations with Nintendo and would no doubt like to have a Dragon Quest character in Smash to boost the series' Western popularity. That leaves Bird Studio, run by Akira Toriyama, and Koichi Sugiyama as the wildcards in rights negotiation for Dragon Quest content. However, I'm willing to believe that both will cooperate. For one, Akira Toriyama worked closely alongside Arc System Works and Namco Bandai to design Android 21, an original character, for Dragon Ball Fighterz. Namco's involvement in this scenario is notable, as they're also developer Smash Bros. Ultimate, and using their connections developing the Dragon Ball games, could bring Toriyama to the negotiating table if he isn't already there. Additionally, in developing at least Fighterz, the developers worked alongside Toei Animation and Shueisha instead of Toriyama, who made slight changes to the game to fit with the Dragon Ball IP, which could be taken as Toriyama taking a back seat when it comes to adaptations of his work. Given how many Dragon Ball games have been made, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case Goku, his star character, has been licensed out on a couple of occasions to Fuji TV and is the ambassador of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic games, which leaves me with little doubt he'd be willing to work with Nintendo on a Dragon Quest character for Smash Bros (one of the largest crossovers ever) and grant Sakurai the proper artistic license to make a Dragon Quest character a reasonable inclusion. As for Sugiyama? The use of midi music files has been suggested multiple times and could be a viable way to get Dragon Quest into Smash Bros. if needed. If Nintendo and Sakurai decide to go the orchestral route they might run into trouble due to either money or Sugiyama's seeming unwillingness to let us worldwide players have orchestral music (this is overblown, however, as Dragon Quest XI had a midi soundtrack worldwide instead of just in the West), which is the only problem I could viably see happening. However, Nintendo has dealt with this before and will do it again if negotiations go right, at worst we just end up with midis instead of orchestral music and remixes. As for the controversy surrounding Sugiyama, that's a nonissue, given that Square Enix has made a statement about it saying that it doesn't speak to company policy and are moving ahead with Dragon Quest anyways.

If Square Enix has the chance to push Dragon Quest, I could easily see them doing so. I see a Dragon Quest character as one of, if not the likeliest Square Enix character given that everything seems to line up for it. Dragon Quest is the most historic choice, and while not iconic worldwide, has the proper circumstances surrounding it to make up for that fact and justify its inclusion in Smash.
Furthermore, the only character insiders are certain on is Erdrick. Banjo, Steve, and Lloyd are all unconfirmed heresy.

Yeah, because the series is predominantly popular in Japan. Before the leaks Dragon Quest fans were marginalized by Geno and Sora supporters, but the leaks gave them the confidence to come out and openly support the series. Furthermore, it turned some people such as myself towards supporting the series.
I get the argument. And as I always say if I’m wrong, I’m wrong.

My biggest problem with this, is most your points are japan centered. With there being little western connections, who’s to say he will sell? The point of dlc is to make bank. DQ isn’t gonna sell highly in the west when it’s only super big in the east. That will hurt sales. So why use a character who doesn’t have international appeal?

Sora or 2b have both of these and will make so much more bank. Sure the dq series has history but I feel like it be better if it was a base game pick rather then someone used to sell an entire character pass. But that’s just my opinion. I respect your argument and research and honestly yes it can go either way. I can still see a square rep but I just feel the dq rumors won’t happen. Doesn’t mean I’m right though. I think we learn for sure by the end of this month who dlc 2 is

D

Deleted member

I wonder if anyone would be interested in hearing my White 2 Nuzlocke adventures or is everyone just too busy arguing about Erdrick again?

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Smash fanbase: "Man wouldn't it be funny if Erdrick wasn't in?"
Erdrick: "I'm right here."
Smash fanbase: "Imagine that."
Erdrick: "Please stop ignoring me."
Smash fanbase: "Can't wait for Sora or Geno."
Erdrick: "Am I a joke to you?"
Be nice to Sword Goku >:/

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I feel like that Erdrick is not likely, rather than not in.
The next character is a mystery.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
If these were the final characters. How would you guys be?

Banjo-Kazooie
Erdrick
Leon Kennedy
Lloyd Irving
Overall super hyped for Banjo and that's about it. Joker et. al. are ok, I don't hate them, happy for their fanbases whatever. But not hype for me personally. If that was who we got, the pass would be overall underwhelming even with Banjo.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If Erdrick does get in and I am wrong, then the thought of the composer being in my game is going to hurt me.
Actually, I 100% feel that. On the other hand-
As far as I'm concerned, if the man makes good music and keeps his dumbassery to himself, I don't really give a hoot.
This is how I also feel about it. He may be an Ass hat but he has some good compositions.

D

Deleted member

My biggest problem with this, is most your points are japan centered. With there being little western connections, who’s to say he will sell? The point of dlc is to make bank. DQ isn’t gonna sell highly in the west when it’s only super big in the east. That will hurt sales. So why use a character who doesn’t have international appeal?
they could add a poop emoji as dlc and it would sell millions

anyone they add will make bank and they know that

D

Deleted member

I'm just saying he doesn't handle stuff well all the time, the fact he was so smug in that Geno video doesn't help either. Not even saying he's a bad person, but it's like going "HEY GUYS GORDON RAMSEY MADE A VIDEO GAME!" Like, sure he's an amazing chef who knows his **** about restaurants but that doesn't make me think he's good at this other thing

And then it gets hilarious when we remember that the ****ing Plant stats changed quite a bit between updates meaning the stats aren't a perfect basis to use
I see then. I'd still say his work seem reliable though.
Also I'd play the **** out of a Gordon Ramsay made videogame, if only to see what it'd be like.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Banjo-Kazooie
Erdrick
Leon Kennedy
Lloyd Irving
Leon would be pretty good.

My two most wanted that are left are deconfirmed so I don’t have any major want for dlc.

But crash, Phoenix Wright and Leon would be hype. Banjo could be cool but I don’t have any connection to him. Same goes for the other two.

I like jokers look but I haven’t played his or llyod’s Game

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I understand. It actually kind of sucks that they won't be able to work on a sequel anymore because now they're a first party Xbox Studio. I don't know. Maybe they could bring on PlatinumGames? Nariko will always be a PlayStation All-Star to me.
Since Sony owns the publishing rights, they could absolutely bring in another studio to continue the franchise. I'd be interested in seeing where they'd take it.

But Ninja Theory has actually never made a sequel to anything, fun fact. Kung Fu Chaos, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, Hellblade and DmC never got sequels. One of them for good reason.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if anyone would be interested in hearing my White 2 Nuzlocke adventures or is everyone just too busy arguing about Erdrick again?
White 2 was my first Pokemon game, tell me more please.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I get the argument. And as I always say if I’m wrong, I’m wrong.

Sora or 2b have both of these and will make so much more bank. Sure the dq series has history but I feel like it be better if it was a base game pick rather then someone used to sell an entire character pass. But that’s just my opinion. I respect your argument and research and honestly yes it can go either way. I can still see a square rep but I just feel the dq rumors won’t happen. Doesn’t mean I’m right though. I think we learn for sure by the end of this month who dlc 2 is
Hang on didn't you use rights as an argument against Erdrick? How the hell can you be confident in Sora them considering the incredibly controlling juggernaut that is Disney?

Banjo-Kazooie
Erdrick
Leon Kennedy
Lloyd Irving
Yuck
I'd rather not
Hell yes
Need to be convinced by his moves

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
they could add a poop emoji as dlc and it would sell millions

anyone they add will make bank and they know that
Can you honestly say that after the bayo salt?

There are certainly characters that can be added that won’t sell as well as others and would be hated.

For example bylef.

People would be so triggered

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bit of a weird question, but this just came to my mind: Have you ever thought of a character that had too MUCH moveset potential? As in it’d be hard to narrow down what moves would represent them the best in Smash?
Joker, I still can't figure out how he'd play in Smash, there's so much stuff he can do. Of course it's bias talking, but still.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
This isn't an entire Dragon Quest game, its own sales are irrelevant

This is a new Smash Bros. character
so he will sell well no matter what

well not "no matter what" but unless he just looks plain unfinished, I severely doubt there will be a mass of people that refuse to buy him out of some arbitrary spite

also owning the Fighter Pass makes the question of "will i buy him or not" pointless

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom