• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If these were the final characters. How would you guys be?

Banjo-Kazooie
Erdrick
Leon Kennedy
Lloyd Irving
Banjo: Eh. Neato character, garbage fanbase
Erdrick: Neat. Should've been in sooner given DQ's legacy
Leon: Cool. I'd be happy that staindgrey staindgrey finally got his RE rep
Lloyd: Meh. Idk, he really doesn't call my name, tbh

Overall: Okay. A couple great choices and a couple mixed ones. Would be fine with it all, in the end, though

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Hang on didn't you use rights as an argument against Erdrick? How the hell can you be confident in Sora them considering the incredibly controlling juggernaut that is Disney?

Yuck
I'd rather not
Hell yes
Need to be convinced by his moves
Cause Disney themselves said they are cool with it and would leave it to nouma. I doubt that’s a lie, so yeah I don’t think it’s a big issue like people think

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
If Erdrick does get in and I am wrong, then the thought of the composer being in my game is going to hurt me.
Let's just hope he doesn't include his iconic composition, "Dōseiai-sha no hitobito wa watashi o kowagara seru", which is just the DQ theme played on kazoos while he personally screams into the mic for an hour.

D

Deleted member

When you all say "Leon Kennedy", I always get a picture of JFK in my head. :p

D

Deleted member

Can you honestly say that after the bayo salt?

There are certainly characters that can be added that won’t sell as well as others and would be hated.

For example bylef.

People would be so triggered
do you

do you think bayo didn't sell well?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Bit of a weird question, but this just came to my mind: Have you ever thought of a character that had too MUCH moveset potential? As in it’d be hard to narrow down what moves would represent them the best in Smash?
I'd like to remind you all that Dante from the Devil May Cry Series has so much in terms of weapons, he couldn't even fit all of their movesets in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Melee:
Rebellion
Ifrit/Beowulf/Gilgamesh/Balrog
Cerberus/King Cerberus
Agni & Rudra
Nevan
Yamato
Lucifer
Cavaliere

Ranged:
Ebony and Ivory
Coyote A
Nightbare B
Artemis
Kalina Ann/Kalina Ann 2
Pandora
Dr. Faust

Similarly the Monster Hunter has so many weapons, 14 in total, that in Marvel vs. Capcom, they had to narrow her down to just 3 of those weapons.
Similarly, 2B has 4 weapon movesets, 5 if you count unarmed, which has its own unique animations. And that's on top of a flying drone that can do a bunch of **** itself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bit of a weird question, but this just came to my mind: Have you ever thought of a character that had too MUCH moveset potential? As in it’d be hard to narrow down what moves would represent them the best in Smash?
(not biased btw) Probably Zero. MVCI did it well but that's a traditional fighter. In smash I'm not sure how you'd make a moveset for him without feeling like something important's being left out.

D

Deleted member

I'll say this, if we're still going about how the Japanese view who they want and what they want from that fanpoll. IMO, when you get down to it, fanpolls are really only just "gauging" what the whole flavor of which countries or circles want and don't mean much, with the exception of certain characters.

For exmaple, Rex & Pyra being Japan's most wanted Smash DLC characters isn't all that surprising, to be quite honest, since most likely because they're essentially the new King K. Rool now over there, from what I've been seeing. K. Rool was their most wanted for a long time, no doubt a good handful of us saw, and now that the request finally has been made, with the timing with Xenoblade 2's release and how much of a splash it made over there, it only made sense for them to make those two their "next K. Rool" after the confirmation back in August. The thing is, however, Japan doesn't often make pushes for any certain character, so if they're set on one character, they'll be set, which is why I'm not honestly surprised those two are still wanted over there. Hell, if anything, the Mii Costume reveal only pushed the want further.

I ain't trying to say this as someone who still wants the duo, but as someone who's been semi-closely gauging since this exact same thing happened with King K. Rool, when he got the Mii Costume treatment and still continuing to push on. And even if we're going down that list, I don't think Sans being wanted by the Japanese is surprising either. Undertale are massively revered by those guys, just like how various other Western IPs are, such as The Last of Us, Spider-Man, what have you. The fact it has elements inspired by Touhou Project -- which reminder, still the biggest indie franchise -- and colorful characters with a touch of EarthBound? No doubt they'll eat it up. Japan loves a lot of Western media more than you think.

I think the one thing, if anything, is we need to realize this: as we get more and more characters off the checklist, more and more will Japan's wants for the next Smash DLC characters align with ours. And this goes with all countries, if I'm being honest. Their wants nowadays isn't really far off of what who WE want for characters, because it's starting to get more and more difficult to pinpoint an exact want, hence why you see characters like Banjo & Kazooie, NieR Automata's 2B, Crash Bandicoot, Sans and Sora, etc -- characters who America ALSO wants, hell, maybe even Europe, or even other countries too. It's become a small world.

At this point, if the rumors are true, Erdrick will be the last true "Japan-leaning" character. After then? All bets are off.

Anyways, those are my two cents about Japan and Smash. Thank you for coming to my 50th TedTalk.

welcome.png

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
If these were the final characters. How would you guys be?

Banjo-Kazooie
Erdrick
Leon Kennedy
Lloyd Irving
I'd still had Joker so doesn't bother me but not especially invested in any of them. Though Resident Evil and Dragon Quest content in general would be cool.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
do you

do you think bayo didn't sell well?
She did, and corrin too probably.

But they are hated now by a lot. If people saw characters with those same vibes they’d probably get pretty upset and I wouldn’t put it past some sales declining.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Cause Disney themselves said they are cool with it and would leave it to nouma. I doubt that’s a lie, so yeah I don’t think it’s a big issue like people think
There's a difference between PR and actual business you know. Especially as again, Disney is pretty notorious for being controlling, they even ****ing changed the goddamn LAW to benefit them, I highly doubt they wouldn't charge a high amount for royalties anyway. It's like how people go "Phil Spencer said he's open to Banjo! That means he's in for sure!" In reality, Phil Spencer isn't begging Nintendo to add him in like people are making it out as but rather going "Hey I like free money"

D

Deleted member

But they are hated now by a lot. If people saw characters with those same vibes they’d probably get pretty upset and I wouldn’t put it past some sales declining.
y'all vastly overestimate how much bayo and corrin are "hated"

do you legit think that anyone outside of ultra-super-duper hardcore "if i don't get k.rool i'll kill my children" fans actually hated bayo/corrin?

i'm sure many were dissapointed but that's just normal "aw those were the last characters i'm not getting my most wanted" salt

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Phil Spencer isn't begging Nintendo to add him in like people are making it out as but rather going "Hey I like free money"
This might be true but he's also talked about people thinking he's just saying that as a PR thing so idk, I think he's being honest especially with some other stuff he's said.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
There's a difference between PR and actual business you know. Especially as again, Disney is pretty notorious for being controlling, they even ****ing changed the goddamn LAW to benefit them, I highly doubt they wouldn't charge a high amount for royalties anyway. It's like how people go "Phil Spencer said he's open to Banjo! That means he's in for sure!" In reality, Phil Spencer isn't begging Nintendo to add him in like people are making it out as but rather going "Hey I like free money"
See that’s your own thoughts. Who knows if it’s just pr. For all we know phill has talked t Nintendo. Just because you think companies are freedom and bad doesn’t mean there aren’t people in them that listen to fans and take their requests to heart.

Nouma literally said that he gets final say on Sora and Disney wouldn’t even need to be that involved. Because they leave putting Sora in other things to him. Again I don’t think that’s pr bull ****

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Some DLC characters sell better than others, but I doubt "hate" has anything to do with it.

If Corrin and/or Bayo ever struggled, it was likely because people were unfamiliar with them, or at least in comparison to the vets, Ryu, and Cloud.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
She did, and corrin too probably.

The reasons behind the hate are very different too. Corrin had complaints about oversaturation of Fire Emblem which even Sakurai admitted he was a bit iffy on, but she still sold well.
Bayonetta however only got hate for "WAAAAH NOT THE CHARACTER I WANTED!" and Meta Knight's previous "**** this piece of **** busted ass character". The latter has been adjusted and they already added more fanfavourite choices in the core fandom since then. The only misgiving people'd have is unfamiliarity, and as Erdrick's clearly chosen to appeal to Japan, that's not going to be a major setback, especially if we get a character who's incredibly popular outside of Japan too

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
y'all vastly overestimate how much bayo and corrin are "hated"

do you legit think that anyone outside of ultra-super-duper hardcore "if i don't get k.rool i'll kill my children" fans actually hated bayo/corrin?

i'm sure many were dissapointed but that's just normal "aw those were the last characters i'm not getting my most wanted" salt
People hated Bayo due to tournament results, not her initial inclusion.

People who hate all the FE representation hated Corrin, but judging by how ****ing many people play FE characters online (including Corrin) they are not indicative of the overall player base.

I honestly think any character hate is overblown by a loud minority because in a player base 14million+ strong, every character is bound to have, at minimum, hundreds of thousands of people who like them.

D

Deleted member

Man, while y'all keep making the virgin choices for Resident Evil reps for Smash Ultimate, I'm always gonna choose the CHAD option.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
That's how I felt about Mega Man before his reveal in 4. I couldn't envision a single moveset because he simply had too many weapons, the possibilities for him were endless.
On another note, this is how I feel about Steve right now. Pickaxes, shovels, crafting, mining, blocks, fishing rods, bows, potions, ender pearls, enchantment. Steve has a ridiculous number of stuff in his arsenal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom