• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Thank you to both of you~ I appreciate you helping me.
I've already renamed the other Hinata account to a place holder account. There is a time limit on name changing which Warchamp has to override. I am in the process of getting it done for you.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, that's not entirely my point. My point is that LGBT reps in media can't be flawed. They can't be human. They have to be some perfect little doll that only serves to make the community look good, and it has the opposite effect. While there are a sizeable number of creators out there putting LGBT reps in their shows or whatever as a genuine show of good faith, there are even more out there who add them because they feel forced to by the current state of the world, and it shows in how those representatives are presented.

I'm just saying, the LGBT community has to get better about accepting representatives who are flawed, or else people are going to stop taking us even remotely seriously.
Oh yeah. I agree with that. It's why I hate diversity quotas. If the creator didn't want to include an LGBTQ+ character and are forced they are just not gonna do it right.

Pffft, welcome. *****, I founded that group.

i'm just kidding don't be mad at me pls
Sailor Scouts Assemble!

Fighting evil by moonlight
Winning love by daylight
Never running from a real fight!
She is the one named Sailor Hinata Hinata !
She will never turn her back on a friend
She is always there to defend
She is the one on whom we depend
She is the one named Sailor...
Sailor Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen !
Sailor @Shishœ !
Sailor SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 !
Sailor Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming
With secret powers
All so new to her
She is the one named Sailor Hinata Hinata
Winning love by daylight
With her Sailor Scouts to help fight
She is the one . . . Sailor Hinata Hinata !

Note: I don't know the show so I don't know if the personalities quite match.
Also, praline praline and Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo are Artemis and Luna
Someone draw this super-team!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've already renamed the other Hinata account to a place holder account. There is a time limit on name changing which Warchamp has to override. I am in the process of getting it done for you.
watch them come back in 2030 like "wtf"

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
grey no

by becoming staind you have advanced yourself to something more than human

why would you willingly go back
Because turns out Aaron Lewis is a MAGA supporting racist nah not really.

I've had the name "staindgrey" on everything for nearly two decades. I tried to switch to Grey like five years ago but wasn't allowed. I'm not sure, I kinda like the simplicity?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
AAAAAA

YO, GUYS, I MADE IT INTO A SALT IS REAL

4:35

I'm so dang excited.

I even got the best Xenoblade song, what are the odds

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Allow me to give an example of a good LGBT rep in media, using (surprising no one) Zombieland Saga.

tumblr_pk25g73R9O1u2vo2go1_250.gif

This girl right here is Lily Hoshikawa. She's a transgender girl who never actually went through the transitioning process. But because she's a child, her voice still sounds high-pitched enough to be mistaken for a girl. So, throughout this post, keep in mind that Lily is still 100% biologically male.

When this fact is revealed, obviously, everyone in her group is surprised. They saw no indication she was male up until she outright told them she was. The group goes up to their manager, and asks him if he knew about it the whole time. He says yes, and then before anyone else can get a word in, he says it doesn't matter what gender she is biologically, she identifies as a girl, and therefore has a rightful place in the all-girl idol group. Of course, nobody even thought to object to such a thing, since they just wanted to know if their manager knew about it the whole time.

Once these facts are established, it's never brought up again. Nobody ever mentions Lily being trans again. Nobody even deadnames her. She just keeps on being Lily. She's a prime example of what it means to be a good LGBT rep. She's human (well, not really, since she's a zombie, but you know what i mean), and no special attention is brought to her status as a transgender girl after the initial reveal.

TL;DR have LGBT reps in your media strive to be Lily Hoshikawa.

D

Deleted member

AAAAAA

YO, GUYS, I MADE IT INTO A SALT IS REAL

4:35

I'm so dang excited.
that was a hype af string followed by a stall-and-fall-spike

i could sense the disrespect emanating from you and the salt from that ridley holy ****

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
New Premium perk idea:

All premium users get one free ban hammer to be used on any non-mod, non-premium member per year, effective for a full 24hrs.
So this is how democracy dies...

How about we don't do that. I'd like to say what I say without getting muted by anyone.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You be different by being you, and bringing your unique personality, creativity, and viewpoint to the table. Reaction videos are generally same-y because they're mostly trying to cash in on a cheap style of video, regardless of if their heart is in it or not, and regardless of whether or not they have an interesting personality. As opposed to Maximilian, whose reaction videos are entertaining because they're heartfelt and he has a great personality.

Similarly, one of my favorite YouTubers is Ross Scott, creator of Freeman's Mind and Ross's Game Dungeon. His latter show is fairly plain on paper--just reviews and analyses of various games he wants to talk about. Many of them can be over 40 minutes long, too, making them not exactly an easy watch. The appeal of his content comes from two things: 1) the games he chooses, which are all often old and obscure, so his content becomes a little intriguing and informative that way, and 2) his personality and sense of humor. He's not the "make excrement and sex jokes nonstop" brand of humor--those things virtually never come out of his mouth. As such, he has such a unique brand of humor and presentation that he can manage to make a 42 minute long video about an obscure Polish PC game from 2007, and it'll get over 400,000 views.

So, apply the same principles to your work, and it'll rub off on people. If you have an interesting personality and present it well, people will take to it.

Visual distinction is important, but not in the way you're thinking of. The color of your skin shouldn't matter as much as your words and character. But really, if you're making an analysis video, what's going to matter is if your visuals are engaging. I haven't really watched Sequelitis because I find Arin's arguments to be deeply flawed, but he presents it in a unique way with his animation, and that's part of why those videos draw so much attention; they're visually interesting, even if what he's saying is crap.

Game Theory understands this as well. They have a distinct visual style that presents the content of their analysis in an engaging and creative way. So for all their flaws, GT does get presentation right. They don't just play clip after clip of footage to get their point across, but instead have different visual representations of what they're communicating.

I say all this as someone who's been out of the content creation game for a while, and whose most popular video had neither of these two principles, so take it with a grain of salt. But this is just one of the things I contemplate despite not having participated in a long time.
As always, thanks Diem.

I have more to ponder now. I'm gonna sit down with a notebook on my days off, watch a ****ton of Youtube videos and write things I hate and love. Maybe I'll find my ideal video setup over time.

Noipoi

Howdy!
In the past the lgbt characters I’ve written were absolute paragons of pure goodness, it came off like pure pandering.

Now I just let em be ****ty like everyone else :V

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Merci beaucoup, mon amie. As I said, it means a lot to have you help me.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hey what's up youtube, it's ya blade Pyra here
And that introduction goes right to the top of my "never, ever, ever" list of stuff that won't be in my videos.

****ing hate that opening.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Oh yeah. I agree with that. It's why I hate diversity quotas. If the creator didn't want to include an LGBTQ+ character and are forced they are just not gonna do it right.

Sailor Scouts Assemble!

Winning love by daylight
Never running from a real fight!
She is the one named Sailor Hinata Hinata !
She will never turn her back on a friend
She is always there to defend
She is the one on whom we depend
She is the one named Sailor...
Sailor Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen !
Sailor @Shishœ !
Sailor SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 !
Sailor Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming
With secret powers
All so new to her
Winning love by daylight
With her Sailor Scouts to help fight
She is the one . . . Sailor Hinata Hinata !

Note: I don't know the show so I don't know if the personalities quite match.
Someone draw this super-team!
Can I be Artemis lol

D

Deleted member

anyways y'all want good lgbt rep watch killing eve

actually even if you don't care about lgbt rep just watch killing eve

****'s tight

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
NO

THE NATURAL ORDER OF THE UNIVERSE

YOU FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
as the god of chaos, this is probably a good thing to me

And that introduction goes right to the top of my "never, ever, ever" list of stuff that won't be in my videos.

****ing hate that opening.
god me too

I used to say something similar a long time ago but mostly out of anxiety and not brotubing

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I do donate some. I could donate more.
That's a rabbit hole you gotta be careful with. Idk if it's a common thing, but I had a phase in my life where I felt like I needed to donate as much as I possibly can despite my needs. I ended up giving a lot of money away that I could've saved for things I needed later in life, and spent a lot of my free time in websites like freerice. Sometimes you kinda just feel guilty even when your fridge is empty.

D

Deleted member

So I'm just drawing random JoJo Characters and I thought of a question, Is it morally wrong to like Stroheim?

He's a freakin' cool Half Cyborg Hero who helped Joseph defeat Ultimate Kars but he's also a Nazi.

D

Deleted member

Allow me to give an example of a good LGBT rep in media, using (surprising no one) Zombieland Saga.

View attachment 204389

This girl right here is Lily Hoshikawa. She's a transgender girl who never actually went through the transitioning process. But because she's a child, her voice still sounds high-pitched enough to be mistaken for a girl. So, throughout this post, keep in mind that Lily is still 100% biologically male.

When this fact is revealed, obviously, everyone in her group is surprised. They saw no indication she was male up until she outright told them she was. The group goes up to their manager, and asks him if he knew about it the whole time. He says yes, and then before anyone else can get a word in, he says it doesn't matter what gender she is biologically, she identifies as a girl, and therefore has a rightful place in the all-girl idol group. Of course, nobody even thought to object to such a thing, since they just wanted to know if their manager knew about it the whole time.

Once these facts are established, it's never brought up again. Nobody ever mentions Lily being trans again. Nobody even deadnames her. She just keeps on being Lily. She's a prime example of what it means to be a good LGBT rep. She's human (well, not really, since she's a zombie, but you know what i mean), and no special attention is brought to her status as a transgender girl after the initial reveal.

TL;DR have LGBT reps in your media strive to be Lily Hoshikawa.
Wow, she sounds like an awesome character!
I have a list of anime Netflix needs to add, and Zombieland Saga is one of them.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I had my title as my former username but realized it's my NNID and I still go by ToasterBrains literally everywhere except here since I'm a weeb who is memeing at the moment

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Gonna be dank to see posts saying "Pyra and Mythra like this"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom