• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hmm, maybe. I would prefer it if an admin just waltzed in right now and decided to help me on a whim, though. :p
Yo Cyn Cyn Moydow Moydow please help my girl out.

I don't know how to type the brackets and it makes it hard to @ her please make it easier for all of us.
You guys aren't wrong at all.

It comes from my guilt of being raised in an all-white Christian suburb with good money and feeling like, in the broader context, I don't have to work as hard for what I earn. I hate it. And I don't want to be the face of my own channel because I feel like it's only further proof that people with my advantages are the only ones with the opportunity to dedicate their lives to something like this.

I realize it's a disingenuous thought and the thought itself is hypocritical and racist. I can't help but think it though.
You want to make the most of your advantages?

Use them to create a platform for change.

A Youtube channel could be a good place to start.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
There’s 104 days of summer vacation til school comes along just to end it.

So the annual problem for our generation is finding a good way to stop global warming...

LIKE MAYBE

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Okay, but like, seriously, is there a way for me to get the Hinata username? Mate hasn't been active since 2005. Is there, like, somethin' an admin can do, or is this one of those sites where once a name is taken, it's gone for good?
Let me see what I can do. Hold on.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Everything has to be inclusive these days.

Not only that, but the LGBT community as a whole is Very Specific on what kind of representation they want. An LGBT character in any media has to be perfect, pure, incorruptible, and the object of everyone's affections. The second the character does something wrong, or someone says something a little mean to them, that rep is tossed in the trash, and the show/game/book/whatever is immediately deemed as problematic.

As a transgender lesbian, so therefore someone qualified to speak on these sorts of matters, it gets ****in' ridiculous at times.
Bless you, Hinata, for your honesty and sensibility.

It comes from my guilt of being raised in an all-white Christian suburb with good money and feeling like, in the broader context, I don't have to work as hard for what I earn. I hate it. And I don't want to be the face of my own channel because I feel like it's only further proof that people with my advantages are the only ones with the opportunity to dedicate their lives to something like this.

I realize it's a disingenuous thought and the thought itself is hypocritical and racist. I can't help but think it though.
You shouldn't hold back your talents for the sake of "the little guy", that helps nobody.

If being successful on the back of your progenitors successes or something like, say, being hired for a job over a minority, truly bothers you, donate a portion of your earnings to charities that offer opportunities to people less fortunate than you.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Okay, but like, seriously, is there a way for me to get the Hinata username? Mate hasn't been active since 2005. Is there, like, somethin' an admin can do, or is this one of those sites where once a name is taken, it's gone for good?
I'll try and look into it and see if there's anything I can do.

D

Deleted member

Just give Hinata Hinata the name she wants. "Hinata" has not been here for like over a decade, probably. This person will not care if their username gets changed, anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

imo this kind of thinking is both right and also wrong at the same time

while it is true that you did grow up with good money and a nice white christian suburb, and therefore didn't/don't have to work as hard as say a black startup in a hood or a first-gen immigrant, your very existence and doing what you enjoy is not Oppression™ at all

mostly because (no offense dude) i doubt that you have the kind of jeff bezos rich white minority exploiting money that like, actually contributes to and perpetuates these kinds of issues far far faaaaar more than just being a white guy on youtube

basically get over your white guilt because you really shouldn't be feeling it since you really did nothing wrong

*shulk meme here*

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
SnakeFighter64 SnakeFighter64 Did you receive the DM btw?
Yup. It was great to see what I missed!
If I may ask, why is it "ABSOLUTELY needed?"

I understand that it's positive trans representation in media, and I'm all for that, but why use an already existing franchise that has nothing to do with the issue of LGBTQ+ representation as a platform for that?
That’s exactly why it’s perfect! It’s just a trans person in an everyday scenario. No uproar, no big deal. It just happens and she goes on to lead her life like it’s nothing. That’s what we need! Send a positive message!

Not only that, but the LGBT community as a whole is Very Specific on what kind of representation they want. An LGBT character in any media has to be perfect, pure, incorruptible, and the object of everyone's affections. The second the character does something wrong, or someone says something a little mean to them, that rep is tossed in the trash, and the show/game/book/whatever is immediately deemed as problematic.

As a transgender lesbian, so therefore someone qualified to speak on these sorts of matters, it gets ****in' ridiculous at times.
I admit it is frustrating but it is a tad reasonable to doubt their intentions when things aren’t perfect because the creator likely isn’t trans. It is so easy to be a bad representation that furthers bigotry. Wish it wasn’t. I’m a writer and I hate walking on eggshells.

I’m in the same boat as you btw.

Welcome to the Smashboards Trans-girl Sailor Scouts!

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
There’s 104 days of summer vacation til school comes along just to end it.

So the annual problem for our generation is finding a good way to stop global warming...

LIKE MAYBE
Making Arctic drilling illegal because breaking open the ice and the usage of fracking equipment releases significant amounts of methane into the atmosphere?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Bless you, Hinata, for your honesty and sensibility.

You shouldn't hold back your talents for the sake of "the little guy", that helps nobody.

If being successful on the back of your progenitors successes or something like, say, being hired for a job over a minority, truly bothers you, donate a portion of your earnings to charities that offer opportunities to people less fortunate than you.
I do donate some. I could donate more.

I have a multitude of complex feelings on these issues that I'm not sure I'll ever parse out. But I'll keep what you guys have said in mind.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Gonna miss Hinata being an

「ENEMY STAND」

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
imo this kind of thinking is both right and also wrong at the same time

while it is true that you did grow up with good money and a nice white christian suburb, and therefore didn't/don't have to work as hard as say a black startup in a hood or a first-gen immigrant, your very existence and doing what you enjoy is not Oppression™ at all

mostly because (no offense dude) i doubt that you have the kind of jeff bezos rich white minority exploiting money that like, actually contributes to and perpetuates these kinds of issues far far faaaaar more than just being a white guy on youtube

basically get over your white guilt because you really shouldn't be feeling it since you really did nothing wrong

*shulk meme here*
As often as we joke about my dad, I think at the core that's my issue. He's the one with the stupid amount of money who gets to influence a lot of people's lives and I know where his priorities are. It makes me sick in the stomach if I think about it too much.

I'm just the beneficiary of that. Yes, I'm paying around $300 an episode for recording and yes it eats up my time and energy and it's a labor of love. But why do I have that time and energy and money to spend? Isn't that just an end result of being my father's son?

This conversation's getting too deep lol. You guys are right. I'll try not to feel guilty about **** I can't control.

D

Deleted member

I am not an expert on this kind of representation, but I will say my part. A character making fun of a LGBT person because they are LGBT is not something that should be in games.

Off-Topic, but I am bisexual. Are there any bisexual characters in gaming that I do not know about?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Welcome to the Smashboards Trans-girl Sailor Scouts!
Pffft, welcome. *****, I founded that group.

i'm just kidding don't be mad at me pls

I admit it is frustrating but it is a tad reasonable to doubt their intentions when things aren’t perfect because the creator likely isn’t trans. It is so easy to be a bad representation that furthers bigotry. Wish it wasn’t. I’m a writer and I hate walking on eggshells.
Anyway, that's not entirely my point. My point is that LGBT reps in media can't be flawed. They can't be human. They have to be some perfect little doll that only serves to make the community look good, and it has the opposite effect. While there are a sizeable number of creators out there putting LGBT reps in their shows or whatever as a genuine show of good faith, there are even more out there who add them because they feel forced to by the current state of the world, and it shows in how those representatives are presented.

I'm just saying, the LGBT community has to get better about accepting representatives who are flawed, or else people are going to stop taking us even remotely seriously.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Because I believe in inclusiveness and I champion uniqueness. I don't even want to be a pseudo-celebrity. I just want to make intriguing content. Whether or not I'm personally recognized for it is inconsequential. If my channel gets popular and no one at a convention recognizes me, that would be great.

I mean no offense to the many Youtubers that fit that description in some sort of reverse-racism spiel, but I get bored of them. Every "reaction video" or the like has the same looking stereotype on the same looking thumbnail. If I'm going to create content for a living, I want to be different. Somehow. I just don't know how.
You be different by being you, and bringing your unique personality, creativity, and viewpoint to the table. Reaction videos are generally same-y because they're mostly trying to cash in on a cheap style of video, regardless of if their heart is in it or not, and regardless of whether or not they have an interesting personality. As opposed to Maximilian, whose reaction videos are entertaining because they're heartfelt and he has a great personality.

Similarly, one of my favorite YouTubers is Ross Scott, creator of Freeman's Mind and Ross's Game Dungeon. His latter show is fairly plain on paper--just reviews and analyses of various games he wants to talk about. Many of them can be over 40 minutes long, too, making them not exactly an easy watch. The appeal of his content comes from two things: 1) the games he chooses, which are all often old and obscure, so his content becomes a little intriguing and informative that way, and 2) his personality and sense of humor. He's not the "make excrement and sex jokes nonstop" brand of humor--those things virtually never come out of his mouth. As such, he has such a unique brand of humor and presentation that he can manage to make a 42 minute long video about an obscure Polish PC game from 2007, and it'll get over 400,000 views.

So, apply the same principles to your work, and it'll rub off on people. If you have an interesting personality and present it well, people will take to it.

Visual distinction is important, but not in the way you're thinking of. The color of your skin shouldn't matter as much as your words and character. But really, if you're making an analysis video, what's going to matter is if your visuals are engaging. I haven't really watched Sequelitis because I find Arin's arguments to be deeply flawed, but he presents it in a unique way with his animation, and that's part of why those videos draw so much attention; they're visually interesting, even if what he's saying is crap.

Game Theory understands this as well. They have a distinct visual style that presents the content of their analysis in an engaging and creative way. So for all their flaws, GT does get presentation right. They don't just play clip after clip of footage to get their point across, but instead have different visual representations of what they're communicating.

I say all this as someone who's been out of the content creation game for a while, and whose most popular video had neither of these two principles, so take it with a grain of salt. But this is just one of the things I contemplate despite not having participated in a long time.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
But anyway I would support any kind of new thing to make premium more worth it
New Premium perk idea:

All premium users get one free ban hammer to be used on any non-mod, non-premium member per year, effective for a full 24hrs.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Fun prank: everyone in this thread change their name for when the school aged kids come back to this thread in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom