• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The most shocking news from this new leak isn't that Steve ain't in and Banjo is. Nah, the thing that shocked me the most is...

Polar is a girl?! This whole time, I never knew.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Only every few weeks if that.
The MCC news was a quick breath of life for it though.
The Jill thread was made by someone who isn't even active. So meh. No point.

I just come here and badger all of you instead. Speaking of, I still haven't done my huge rundown of the RE3/RE8 rumor from yesterday. I should get on that.

D

Deleted member

I ****ing knew my reasoning for Banjo would help me out in my darkest times. God bless those Melee Poll results Sakurai released.

MORE THAN 15 YEARS.

THIS IS THE CULMINATION OF YEARS OF GUH-HUHS.

That being said, I would by lying if I said I didn't feel torn. I want to believe, but that fateful day in November burned me.

I dunno if I wanna go back to this, but... My persona is on the line. What have I done.

D

Deleted member

this ad on youtube tho
Screenshot_2019-03-28-20-18-50~2.png

that's just super saiyan captain marvel
that's just carol danvers

don't **** with me lastday clash heroes battles i watched that goddamn movie like 3 times that's just carol ****ing danvers

D

Deleted member

I want Steve more too, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't think the Banjo fans deserve it. They're one of, if not nicest, most committed fanbase for a character in Smash Bros. You never really see a Banjo fan getting into hateful debates with people over him, nor do you really ever see them complaining. Instead, they're getting the attention of notable figures like Phil Spencer and acting to get Banjo in.

Maybe I ought to play Banjo Kazooie myself.
I really should play it myself. I have Rare Replay just sitting there on my shelf...

Last edited by a moderator:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I ****ing knew my reasoning for Banjo would help me out in my darkest times. God bless those Melee Poll results Sakurai released.

MORE THAN 15 YEARS.

That being said, I would by lying if I said I didn't feel torn. I want to believe, but that fateful day in November burned me.

I dunno if I wanna go back to this, but... My persona is on the line. What have I done.
Didn't this bet also involve another user if I remember correctly?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The Jill thread was made by someone who isn't even active. So meh. No point.

I just come here and badger all of you instead. Speaking of, I still haven't done my huge rundown of the RE3/RE8 rumor from yesterday. I should get on that.
Honestly, at that point you could just request a mod switch ownership to you. It's happened with plenty of other... not good threads. I think the old thread for Crono used to be pretty butt until Shish took ownership.

KMDP

Smash Legend

MORE THAN 15 YEARS.

Is it time?

D

Deleted member

I want Steve more too, but I'd be lying if I said that I don't think the Banjo fans deserve it. They're one of, if not nicest, most committed fanbase for a character in Smash Bros. You never really see a Banjo fan getting into hateful debates with people over him, nor do you really ever see them complaining. Instead, they're getting the attention of notable figures like Phil Spencer and acting to get Banjo in.

Two things before trying out the series:

1) I recommend the Xbox version because it gets rid of a dumb issue with the N64 version. Basically, you can feel okay for dying in Banjo-Kazooie instead of wanting to turn off the console.
2) It's a product of its time. You know how Yooka-Laylee got flack for being too faithful of a revival? It's because we moved on from Banjo like how we moved on from something like the first Metal Gear Solid or something of the sort. Still a good time but you gotta have context.

Otherwise, have fun man. Let your inner explorer nut bust.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I really hope King Dedede is one of the DLC characters but unfortunately he’s already in the background of one of the stages :c

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly, at that point you could just request a mod switch ownership to you. It's happened with plenty of other... not good threads. I think the old thread for Crono used to be pretty butt until Shish took ownership.

Really.

I'll have to contact the thread's creator first so I don't feel like I'm trying to sneak around him. But that's a good idea. I'll just post all half some amount of my Jill **** in there to try and drum up character-specific conversation.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Yeah, play Banjo Kazooie, and, if that's your opinion of the fanbase, never come to the Banjo thread. xP

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Anyone wanna play some Smash Bros in a lobby?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh, your thread has people? Must be nice.

We're still on page one. Probably because I do all my Jill talking here instead of there.
I know what you mean. Like, the Brian thread barely gets much, and only spurts at a time. There's a tiny amount of supports, but most of it leads to general Quest talk, not actually about making the character fun or interesting. It's why I made a regular general thread for it in the Nintenzone alone. Which is even less active, but hey, whatever works.

I somewhat blame myself for not having a fully mapped out moveset. It's a nice op, but still lacking in some ways. Hard to sell a character on a lack of information. That's ignoring it being obscure, anyway.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'm glad to hear that. I've never taken a screenwriting class of any kind; I simply tried to apply my creative writing classes and decades of reading/watching media to pretending I knew how to script. But it sounds like I'm doing it?

I have plans all the way to the end of our series. I know every plot detail and gag of episodes 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 while I'm working on episode 7. It kills me a little inside when I think of a good running gag an episode too late and can't retroactively patch it in.

After you're done with the class, I'd honestly like to see your script sometime. I don't know when, life is hectic right now, but sometime.
That's mostly me, too. Despite my education and being, well, a creative writing major and taking many classes about writing, most of what I know is self-taught through reading/watching/playing things, just like you. My creative writing classes were more about literary fiction, that is, fiction that doesn't focus on plot or pacing or anything you see in most commercial stories or movies. There's some great stories there, but boy did I feel out of place writing a science fiction series in those classes.

My series writing class is finally where I feel at home, though most of what's being discussed is stuff I already know, despite not being in the film school like everyone else in the class. Heck, today's script was by a young man from Mexico, multilingual, writing a dramedy about the nature of love, on an interestingly chemical level. One thing he mentioned as something he wanted to do was have it take place in both the US and Mexico, but his entire pilot took place in New York City... for no other reason than it's New York City, by his own admission. And all the characters in the script were also pretty same-y in terms of culture and background, which didn't serve that idea well.

Cue my professor discussing how each character should be from a different culture, but in a meaningful and honest way that really explores that culture naturally, especially given that it's dealing with love and chemistry, which are two universal concepts.

...which is exactly what I already did in my script I finished two days ago. The main human characters are Polish, occasionally speak Polish, have Polish names, and are knowledgeable about Polish culture. The whole concept is owed to my girlfriend who is of Polish heritage and gave me the idea (and the characters) in the first place, but I'm the one who took it several steps further and did a good deal of research into things, coming up with all of these cool ways to work Polish culture and history into the script. I even make reference to some really obscure but notable Polish books that I never knew of before. Most of all, given the setting, conflict, and themes of the script, there's few cultures in the world more fitting than Polish culture to put in that position. It all works so perfectly.

And then last class we had the story where none of the characters had any backstories, goals. motivations, including the main character, and we had to have a discussion about how characters are the most important part of a series and all that. Meanwhile, my entire pilot is about the characters, their backstories, goals, and motivations.

Needless to say I am very curious as to how my workshop will go. Since most of the issues we've discussed with everyone else's scripts are ones I actively avoid. I know my script isn't perfect, and I do plan to rewrite some things once I know how to rewrite them (particularly the big dialogue scenes), but as a whole, I apparently know more about this stuff than any of my classmates do, so far. Which is weird, because almost all of them were in the series development class, while I'm coming from classes where we learned and talked about completely different writing concepts.

Anyways, good to see that you have the mind of a series writer and know where you're going. Especially since you're doing an abridged series, and from what I've seen of the few I've watched, it doesn't seem like some of them put too much thought into what comes next, especially when they abruptly die out or go on an unofficial hiatus without explanation. I'll have to check yours out when I have time.

If you and other people are interested, I'll share my script when I'm done with the class. After I have it for workshop, I have to a rewrite before the end of the semester, but I'm not expecting the rewrite to be a drastic overhaul, like for some people's scripts. I might just need to tweak some things, but I don't anticipate any major changes.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yeah, play Banjo Kazooie, and, if that's your opinion of the fanbase, never come to the Banjo thread. xP
Seconded

I pop in occasionally but I always feel like I shouldn’t stay too long or else I’ll get mugged

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
“Yo what’s that in the background”
“Well since I’m playing as The King, Alfonzo has inflated himself and is floating in the background instead.”
when ridley joins the battle, alfonzo takes over his boss position on pyrosphere

alfonzo: feed me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom