• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Make sure her's gets read before your's, lmao.
It is; mine's probably going to be sent out a week from today. So mine's coming a week after hers, which will be an interesting comparison. They're both scripts for animated shows, and apparently hers is so long because it has to set up so much of the world, which is partially why mine is long, too. But I can't say for certain until I get ahold of her script what the differences are.

The really interesting difference between us, though, is that this girl owns an animation studio. Like, a legitimate business. I don't know much more than that, but I'd imagine that means that she knows a thing or two, at least. Seems to give some intelligent feedback on other people's scripts in class.

So I'm thinking either it's a script full of good ideas that just needs to be cut down, or it's overlong and bloated with unnecessary things and needs to be reworked. But who knows.

Man our 16-20min abridged episodes try to be under 20 pages.

Granted we dont use nearly as many stage cues as a normal script would, but wow.
Yeah, in screenwriting, apparently, one page is supposed to be equivalent to a minute on the screen. It's not always true, given how some things can take longer or shorter depending on a variety of factors, but yeah, the professor said that he was definitely going to talk about how we can cut it down when we bring it up next week. 166 pages is almost 2.5 hours in that equation.

The girl who wrote it oddly wasn't in class today, so she wasn't there to explain it. The professor said what I mentioned above about how it had to set up the world, but he didn't say anything more specific. Sounds like it went through some small rewrites, too, and somehow came out even larger than before.

If that were me, I'd cut out whatever isn't necessary to the plot of the pilot. My script has very little worldbuilding or exposition about the world, because I wanted to focus mainly on the characters, their relationships, and their goals. The world is shown and discussed when it needs to be, so the basic premise and backstory is established both visually and through some lines of dialogue here and there, but otherwise I don't dwell on explaining every detail about how the world works, because that's something easily done over time in other episodes.

A lot of people seem to be writing their pilots in this class without thinking about what the following episodes are supposed to be, which is the most baffling thing about the whole class. If you asked me what comes after the pilot, I'd talk for hours. Most of my classmates get asked that by the professor, and most of them are clueless.

D

Deleted member

tbh i'm not 100% on this at all until it's more than just polar hearing about it, and even she's not 100% sure

but i'm definitely keeping an eye on it yeah

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
tbh banjo would be cool

would rather have steve but banjo's aight as well

(his fanbase sucks tho ngl)
Eh, every fanbase has its bad eggs.
But the bad egg I've come across for Banjo takes the ****ing cake in comparison to most of the rest.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
SBordia Evening News:

The ancient pastime of discourse over the long-forgotten national sport is making rise due the sudden ursine resurgence.

When asked for a comment on the situation, well-known bear and worldwide poker champion Banjo refused to speak to us- his fiery colored avian partner merely squawking into our microphones.

At this time, it is unknown whether or not we can fix our Dialogue Text Box device, so we have no immediate method of translating this speech.

Next up:
A Rumble in the Social Thunderdome? More information, after this short commercial break.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Basically Polar is a relatively known leaker in these boards and from what I understand she has relatively good info. Basically the gist of everything is this:

From what I read from her discord the source is one of the writers for a Windows website I think, she said that he is followed by Phil Spencer on Twitter so that gives her confidence. Her source told her that he had a single source that told him that Banjo was coming but overall he heard that Steve is out.

Overall she isn't 100% in since I think she has heard a few contradictory statements, although I don't know if it refers to the source or regarding Steve and Banjo.
Oh wait. I thought this came from another source besides PolarPanda, not PolarPanda herself.

I've spent enough time in the Square thread to know that she's someone to take note of.

So if this is accurate, it's more of a negative towards Steve's chances than a positive for Banjo's.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

tbh i'm not 100% on this at all until it's more than just polar hearing about it, and even she's not 100% sure

but i'm definitely keeping an eye on it yeah
If Polar's telling me to stay cautious, I'll stay cautious. Nothing about this seems solid. It's just inside rumors more than anything.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If the next reveal was Banjo after five months of Erdrick, i'd chuckle.
One thing would be certain that I think we could all agree on...

Everyone who said SE was second loses their credibility overnight.

DLC speculation becomes fun again.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah, in screenwriting, apparently, one page is supposed to be equivalent to a minute on the screen. It's not always true, given how some things can take longer or shorter depending on a variety of factors, but yeah, the professor said that he was definitely going to talk about how we can cut it down when we bring it up next week. 166 pages is almost 2.5 hours in that equation.

The girl who wrote it oddly wasn't in class today, so she wasn't there to explain it. The professor said what I mentioned above about how it had to set up the world, but he didn't say anything more specific. Sounds like it went through some small rewrites, too, and somehow came out even larger than before.

If that were me, I'd cut out whatever isn't necessary to the plot of the pilot. My script has very little worldbuilding or exposition about the world, because I wanted to focus mainly on the characters, their relationships, and their goals. The world is shown and discussed when it needs to be, so the basic premise and backstory is established both visually and through some lines of dialogue here and there, but otherwise I don't dwell on explaining every detail about how the world works, because that's something easily done over time in other episodes.

A lot of people seem to be writing their pilots in this class without thinking about what the following episodes are supposed to be, which is the most baffling thing about the whole class. If you asked me what comes after the pilot, I'd talk for hours. Most of my classmates get asked that by the professor, and most of them are clueless.
I'm glad to hear that. I've never taken a screenwriting class of any kind; I simply tried to apply my creative writing classes and decades of reading/watching media to pretending I knew how to script. But it sounds like I'm doing it?

I have plans all the way to the end of our series. I know every plot detail and gag of episodes 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 while I'm working on episode 7. It kills me a little inside when I think of a good running gag an episode too late and can't retroactively patch it in.

After you're done with the class, I'd honestly like to see your script sometime. I don't know when, life is hectic right now, but sometime.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
lukewarm take: given that nintendo's intended objective with the DLC, as per shareholder meetings, is to bring in new audiences, i still don't see why any combination of nintendo and microsoft would ever decide to include banjo over steve

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Here's a crazy thought: what of we, like, got neither Banjo nor Steve.

Nothing guarantees that we'll get a "Microsoft Rep". Don't celebrate too early no matter who you support.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
(his fanbase sucks tho ngl)
His fanbase is a pretty big reason I spoke negatively about his inclusion in the past

Whenever I used to discuss the possibility of Steve in Smash, usually in Youtube comments. I always got these nasty replies of people saying something along the lines of "LoL nO! BaNjO dEsErVeS iT mOrE", then we'd get into these brutal arguments and stuff like that.

I'm gonna be happy for all of you well-behaved fans who got their character and I hope you'd enjoy his inclusion, but those sour ones really left a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't think I'd be able to enjoy him properly without thinking of them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Though with big "yeah this character's basically in" leaks we usually hear multiple leakers talking about it, and even Polar said to stay cautious since it could just be inside rumors and she's not 100% all in

But still...
KrhfIua6pO7T3DiR13fqO1jfSCcs0dS-LJSQs9Npz5w.gif

At least it's something to shake up speculation

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
When and why did Fairly Odd Parents start sucking?
Twad my favorite cartoon as a kid.

D

Deleted member

Oh hold up.

MY BET.

OUT OF ALL THE PEOPLE WHO I NEEDED THE MOST WERE LEAKERS TO KEEP THE SCOTT PERSONA ALIVE.

FOR THIS ONE TIME, VERGE WHERE ARE YOU.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Okay just arrived back in this thread so haven't caught up with everything but is the tl;dr of it that we're getting Microsoft Sam?

D

Deleted member

Wait what

Is it bear time?

No, seriously, what did I miss?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
His fanbase is a pretty big reason I spoke negatively about his inclusion in the past

Whenever I used to discuss the possibility of Steve in Smash, usually in Youtube comments. I always got these nasty replies of people saying something along the lines of "LoL nO! BaNjO dEsErVeS iT mOrE", then we'd get into these brutal arguments and stuff like that.

I'm gonna be happy for all of you well-behaved fans who got their Banjo and I hope you'd enjoy his inclusion, but those sour ones really left a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't think I'd be able to enjoy him properly without thinking of them.
This is how I feel about most character followings ngl

It’s not localized to Banjo by any means

Not to downplay how obnoxious Banjo fans can be, but hoo boy I don’t associate very often with ANY of the character threads of characters I support

D

Deleted member

lukewarm take: given that nintendo's intended objective with the DLC, as per shareholder meetings, is to bring in new audiences, i still don't see why any combination of nintendo and microsoft would ever decide to include banjo over steve
Hmm... Would there be a point to putting old Rare games on the Switch with that logic? It's not like that would bring in new fans.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
To be honest, I support Banjo for two reasons:
  1. It represents Microsoft's interest in doing something with the property they've been sitting on for the better part of a decade.
  2. They'd be an interesting character to watch because of how funky a bear+bird would be.
But I honestly don't ever plan on playing him. So it's not so much a "HELL YEAH" as a "yeah".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom