• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alright then. I'm a bit confused as to why, but I might as well play along with it this time. One infraction is bad enough.
Here's why it's considered a slur.
1: Implies trans people are only doing it to deliberately trick you in to having sex, which is rather insulting and fetishizing
2: Implies withdrawal of consent doesn't actually exist when in reality you can say "I'm sorry but this just isn't working for me" if it bugs you that much
3: It's been used as a reason for angry bigots to murder transwomen. And for some ****ing reason it's been deemed an excuse to lower sentences in court when those women end up getting murdered by angry men

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Alright then. I'm a bit confused as to why, but I might as well play along with it this time. One infraction is bad enough.
Let's just say where in some parts of the internet it's natural lingo, in other parts it's a very touchy subject.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Maybe as far as a SmashBoards RPG goes, I could make it into a generic Gaming Forum RPG with lots of forum tropes and of course specific SmashBoards tropes

osby

Smash Obsessed
I swear, asked from my parents to not use f-word one time and they went crazy, you'd think I insulted them.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
#ReleaseTheDeVitoCut
There wouldn't be a "DeVito Cut" of the movie, because that's not what they did.

From the description the Director gave, what they did is probably similar to what Disney did with the Genie during Aladdin's Production, which was take pre-existing audio of the actor and animate over it.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
In short - the term "trap" carries strongly negative connotations about a person's motivations for how they present themselves or choose to express their gender identity, by implying that they do so only to "trap" unsuspecting people into having sex with them. It also falls into what's known as the "gay panic" defence, where someone tries to use this idea that they were "tricked" as defence for assaulting a trans person.

In general it just reinforces a lot of negative and unpleasant stereotypes about trans and non-binary people, and those who express their identity in ways different from what society considers the norm, and that's why a lot of people can take offence to it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
There wouldn't be a "DeVito Cut" of the movie, because that's not what they did.

From the description the Director gave, what they did is probably similar to what Disney did with the Genie during Aladdin's Production, which was take pre-existing audio of the actor and animate over it.
It's a joke.
extra waffle goes here

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Let's just say where in some parts of the internet it's natural lingo, in other parts it's a very touchy subject.
aint that the truth.
and the thing is as gamers (and the advent of things like vrchat), there's a lot of it that's just normal. And on the other side you have the harsh side of society too.

And since we've had people bothered by the subject in the past, I suggest we move on when we can.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I swear, asked from my parents to not use f-word one time and they went crazy, you'd think I insulted them.
Specificially the parts where they ACTUALLY kill LGBT people there. Many parts of Africa too. And China too probably. But no lets waste all our time and energy on telling Middle Class-Working Class Westerners what memes they can or cant use.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry but people who get triggered over stupid internet memes have it too good in their lives. Just hilarious and a bit sad actually.
"why are black people getting triggered when call them the nword its just a meme lol subscribe to pewdipie"

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
As a trans person myself, while I don’t personally get offended by that term, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t oblige people who ask you to stop using it.
Like literally anything else, if you insist on using a word after someone asks you to stop then how mature can you be, really?

Like, if the word “candlestick” triggers memories of abuse in someone or even just makes someone uncomfortable, and they ask you not to say it, you’re not gonna go “candlestick candlestick candlestick” like you’re trying to summon your huge inflated ego in the flesh

Also I think Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen made some very valid points as to the reasons why lots of people have a problem with it.

It takes literally no time and costs nothing to be a decent person, folks

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Detective Pikachu is probably going to be the first good Hollywood video game movie, full of love for the source material combined with loving imagination.

Meanwhile, the Sonic movie is also coming out this year, and will be a trainwreck full of disrespect for the source material combined with terrible creative decisions.

Reminds me of 2017 when you had Super Mario Odyssey come out and be absolutely spectacular, followed shortly afterwards by Sonic Forces.

I guess Sonic is just cursed outside of fan games and the comics.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Basically it was like this production footage of Toy Story with them taking Tom Hank’s lines from Turner and Hooch:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Specificially the parts where they ACTUALLY kill LGBT people there. Many parts of Africa too. And China too probably. But no lets waste all our time and energy on telling Middle Class-Working Class Westerners what memes they can or cant use.
You know they kill LGBT+people in Europe and US, too, right? It's just less common.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Basically it was like this production footage of Toy Story with them taking Tom Hank’s lines from Turner and Hooch:
Basically, it's how animators decide on voice actors for their characters if they already have actors in mind.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Maybe as far as a SmashBoards RPG goes, I could make it into a generic Gaming Forum RPG with lots of forum tropes and of course specific SmashBoards tropes
I do remember in the past playing a few different mafia games with roles based on random Smashboards users.

Nothing says friendship like stabbing each other in the back. :starman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom