• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Game Time
Imagine that your most wanted character finally joined Smash, and they get a 30 seconds animated trailer. How would the trailer be?

Mine's Geno:
Trailer starts showing a small town during night, then changes into inside one of the houses, were a Toad kid is playing with a lot of dolls based on Smash Brothers characters. The Toad kid leaves and turns the lights off, after a few seconds of silence a star appears floating around, before entering a box full of toys. The box glows and starts shaking, until Geno bursts out of the box and the camera zooms on his face. GENO, Shoots for the Stars!
The trailer starts with footage of the original PAC-MAN arcade game, then fades to footage of Donkey Kong, which then fades to Street Fighter footage, which in turn, fades to Sonic The Hedgehog footage, which finally fades to Pokemon footage
Then the screen goes black....

Light starts to creep in, revealing it to be Steve mining in a cave. He has just discovered something, turns out, it's a Smash invitation. Afterward, he slowly looks towards the camera and takes out his sword

STEVE, Gets Crafty!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I get it. I'm a transgender and a lesbian. I know what it's like to not have representation in the media. But at the same time, inserting an orientation onto a character that may or may not actually have it is (in my opinion) disrespectful to the world the author created. If I don't say the orientation of one of my characters, it doesn't mean that the character is gay, or straight, or any specific orientation. It just means it's not important to the story. At the end of the day, that stuff is not for YOU to decide.
There are often times that implications exist, be it intentional (Kamen Rider Build) or not (Devilman). Stories aren't just meant for entertainment, but also to provoke thought. I bring up Devilman as Go Nagai has gone on saying that he didn't intend to make Ryo and Akira's relationship romantic and wasn't aware it could be interpreted that way. However, he doesn't mind it and future tellings of the Devilman story, including the Crybaby anime from last year, the writing would actually push that Ryo has romantic feelings for Akira. Besides, there's no harm or disrespect done. Most writers would be thrilled to know people are able to see themselves in characters, especially if it's unintentional, as it means that the work touched more people than intended. Not to mention how "Is it important to the story" is incredibly telling of how little people care. Is it important to a story for the main protagonist of say, Iron Man to be a straight white man? Not really, no, yet he's still a straight white man. The same happens with disabilities I find, "Is there a story reason for why this character isn't able to use their legs and is it necessary?" Disabled people don't exactly have a reason for being disabled IRL so the notion a character MUST have it constantly be a relevant theme to the story is rather disrespectful

TLDR: If anything people interpretting characters in their own ways is a good thing and you should probably think "If this character was a straight white dude or whatever, would I still have this complaint?"

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Why must you antagonize people about this. We get it. You want Steve, I want Banjo. It's not like i commented on a post of yours with steve in it where Banjo comes in at the end and kills him or something. I was asked what I wanted. I gave my answer. There really is no need for this constant fighting.

Can we add some sort of guideline that prevents this in the future?
i mean banjo would be an equally neat pick and it was a joke but ok

"Directed by Hideo Kojima"
tfw you walk into the town hall and read "guest starring: The SKULLS Parasite Unit"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Bingo - there's no default orientation. Even the Star Fox fanbase pretty universally views Falco as asexual but we don't really know.
Falco: an ace pilot in more ways than one. :p

But yeah, the main reason I don't like there being a "default" is that it artificially makes one orientation seem more valuable or important than any other, which I can't really get behind.

D

Deleted member

ok so now that we're on the subject of sexuality and gender orientation let me explain why link is nb, in this essay i will

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The trailer starts with footage of the original PAC-MAN arcade game, then fades to footage of Donkey Kong, which then fades to Street Fighter footage, which in turn, fades to Sonic The Hedgehog footage,
then the screen goes black....

Light slowly starts to creep in, revealing it to be Steve mining in a cave. He has just discovered something, turns out, it's a Smash invitation. Afterward, he slowly looks towards the camera and takes out his sword

STEVE, Gets Crafty!
I like the idea, but the CGI scenes should be longer.
Maybe add footage of Pokémon and Final Fantasy too, since they fit the theme pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
The trailer starts with footage of the original PAC-MAN arcade game, then fades to footage of Donkey Kong, which then fades to Street Fighter footage, which in turn, fades to Sonic The Hedgehog footage,
Then the screen goes black....

Light starts to creep in, revealing it to be Steve mining in a cave. He has just discovered something, turns out, it's a Smash invitation. Afterward, he slowly looks towards the camera and takes out his sword

STEVE, Gets Crafty!
To make things better, have him move like he does in Minecraft, only moving his head, arms, and legs. Then, as soon as he gets the invitation he starts moving fluidly till the end of the movie.

KMDP

Smash Legend
This reminds me when Ilima was announced, tumblr, the ones that dont like to assume, assumed he was trans and ended every argument with "Sorry, I dont make the rules"

it was pretty ironic...and annoying because they dissregared that his offical sex was male
...I had to look up Ilima to remind myself of who he was... :laugh:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Game Time
Imagine that your most wanted character finally joined Smash, and they get a 30 seconds animated trailer. How would the trailer be?

Mine's Geno:
Trailer starts showing a small town during night, then changes into inside one of the houses, were a Toad kid is playing with a lot of dolls based on Smash Brothers characters. The Toad kid leaves and turns the lights off, after a few seconds of silence a star appears floating around, before entering a box full of toys. The box glows and starts shaking, until Geno bursts out of the box and the camera zooms on his face. GENO, Shoots for the Stars!
:ultkirby: is walking around, doing Kirby things. Suddenly a barrage of arrows come from nowhere. Kirby, after getting hit, looks around. He hears a chuckle, and Marx appears, saying "MARX WISHES TO FIGHT". Gameplay portion commences. Back to CGI, Marx is about to use a Black Hole attack on Kirby, but a spear hits him and makes him stop. Bandana Dee reveals himself, with the tagline being "BANDANA DEE CLAIMS HIS PRIZE!"

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I like the idea, but the CGI scenes should be longer.
Maybe add footage of Pokémon and Final Fantasy too, since they fit the theme pretty well.
Yeah, maybe Pokemon...

But I purposefuly ignored Final Fantasy because SQUARE IS STINGY

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah, I don’t accept things that aren’t facts ;). Again, Nice opinion though!
Then why do you accept your own hot takes?
As an author, I don't like that. I think of thousands of little bits of the world and branching aspects of society that can't make their way into the story I'm telling. You're gonna tell me that that stuff is invalid if I can't actually get it into whatever I'm making? No.

You can do whatever you want with the stories I tell. But I can tell you how wrong you are. And I'd like it very much If you'd not start until I'm done actually telling it.
3eb14385-dca3-4f57-8be2-65d4fddb0b02.png

imagine majoring in films and still believing a work is chained to the author
Where are you getting this from? I've never heard of this principle before in any of the classes I've taken.

Also it would be helpful if you'd actually support this with something other than "it's a fact". For example, maybe a primary source that's not a tweet. All facts had to be proven first.
Lol you really took this that seriously, huh
ok so now that we're on the subject of sexuality and gender orientation let me explain why link is nb, in this essay i will
Where's the rest of the essay?

D

Deleted member

super smash brothers ultimate is cool

ok so now that my post is on topic lets discuss the complexity and nuance behind lgbt representation in media and how to get it right

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
There are often times that implications exist, be it intentional (Kamen Rider Build) or not (Devilman). Stories aren't just meant for entertainment, but also to provoke thought. I bring up Devilman as Go Nagai has gone on saying that he didn't intend to make Ryo and Akira's relationship romantic and wasn't aware it could be interpreted that way. However, he doesn't mind it and future tellings of the Devilman story, including the Crybaby anime from last year, the writing would actually push that Ryo has romantic feelings for Akira. Besides, there's no harm or disrespect done. Most writers would be thrilled to know people are able to see themselves in characters, especially if it's unintentional, as it means that the work touched more people than intended. Not to mention how "Is it important to the story" is incredibly telling of how little people care. Is it important to a story for the main protagonist of say, Iron Man to be a straight white man? Not really, no, yet he's still a straight white man. The same happens with disabilities I find, "Is there a story reason for why this character isn't able to use their legs and is it necessary?" Disabled people don't exactly have a reason for being disabled IRL so the notion a character MUST have it constantly be a relevant theme to the story is rather disrespectful

TLDR: If anything people interpreting characters in their own ways is a good thing and you should probably think "If this character was a straight white dude or whatever, would I still have this complaint?"
You can't force your own world view on a fictional character because that's someone else's creation. Sure, if you relate to them then that's great. But if you go up to the author and you ask them if the character is xyz and they say no, then you have to just except that. If the author did intend it, and included symbolism to indicate it to the audience, then great! But if they didn't then you have to get over it. We need more fictional diversity, if anything, to stop this kind of thing from happening. There doesn't necessarily have to be a reason for it in the story for it to be there, but if it's not important to the story then I'm probably not gonna bring it up. I'm not gonna have the main hero of my story just walk into the room, shout "I'm gay" and then leave. That's just silly.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
super smash brothers ultimate is cool

ok so now that my post is on topic lets discuss the complexity and nuance behind lgbt representation in media and how to get it right
nah but for real, I think this is why the debate fourm exsist. No one uses it but it exsists
joker commits animal abuse the video game releasing tonight
BREAKING NEWS: Local teen is seen shooting electic mice, Fire Cats, kids and adults

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom