• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
the way i see author's intent is that once they publish their works, its like "public grounds" in a way

like the authors intent does matter, but its more a resource to help you gain a deeper understandind rather then a straight up "this is tru, deal with it"

like mayne for smaller canonicity issues like "did this event take place 5 or 6 years after this other event" author's intent is the only resource as you can't exactly interpret that any other way, but for deeper things like character's sexuality or the character's reasoning for doing something, then i feel like the author's intent shouldn't be the ONLY thing to judge from, and instead the reader should be allowed to make their own interpretations as long as they make SENSE
Sometimes, the interpretation of the reader is wrong. This is especially true for ongoing productions (like television series).

Example of a theory being wrong: People used to claim that the Lord of the Rings was allegorical for World War One (a war J.R.R. Tolkien fought in), until Tolkien himself said "No, it isn't, this is how the plot would have gone down if it was."

Example of a theory being right: J.K. Rowling confirmed that Dumbledore was gay; this can be considered authorial intent (it was the first of it's kind for her and lacks the baggage later statements have).

It would be wrong to deny an author a statement of their intent for a character in the opposite direction for a different story.

D

Deleted member

Yup, i am trapped in freaking Metal Gear Rising.

>Weapons.
>Giant machines.
>Memes.
>Pictures of animals.
>A lot of songs with lyrics.
>Chaos.

The only things left are nanomachines and a cyborg jumping around the giant robots.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think your heart's somewhat in the right place but that there's problem here. By doing this you end up ironically enough, pushing it away. JK Rowling has said Dumbledore is gay, and while that does seem good, it's never gotten much, if any elaboration or any time to see it. Disney tried to make LGBT people want to go to Beauty and the Beast 2 years ago by going "Hey this character is gay!" Was it shown or ever outright said in the movie? No. LGBT people ended up giving the opposite reaction, as we realized this was an attempt to get our money without having to put any effort or risk money of homophobes. Hell, there are far too many times in fiction where there's stuff left up to your interpretation OUTSIDE of one's sexual orientation. See Bayonetta for example, one interpretation I've seen of her hyper-sexual personality is that it's an act, a coping mechanism for her as she known that if she doesn't kill angels all the time, she WILL get killed by her own contract demons. Is this canon? No. But the implications are there! An excellent example is Demise's curse in Skyward Sword, which basically says that all of Link and Zelda's ancestors while always have Demise's spirit haunt them in the form of Ganondorf, which people hated due to it not matching up Ganondorf's Wind Waker portrayal which shows us he genuinely wanted to improve the lives of his oppressed people but went mad with power. So people have interpreted Demise's Curse to simply be ALL evil instead of specifically Ganondorf!
I've always been against the whole forced love interest trope. That the main character HAS to fall in love by the end. Love is something much more sacred to me. It's a special bond between two people and if it's gonna be in the story, it's gonna be a big part of it. Dumbledore's sexual orientation actually is a big part of the story in Fantastic Beasts 2, and an important part of it.

TLDR, I'm not gonna force a love interest into the story just to confirm or de-confirm a character's orientation.

D

Deleted member

Death of the Author is a basic concept any film major worth their salt should understand because wasting time discussing what an author intended is meaningless and that could be better used to actually interpret the work. Intent is one thing, what was actually accomplished is another and what actually matters.
Figured that much. I don’t think you even know what you’re talking about in general lol.
43144ece-66ba-4e48-ad95-5e976ba74f2a.jpg

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
apparently theres a bunch of Korean spam on the boards right now. Did someone call Kim Jong Un fat again?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
aw geez the Korean love hotel spambots are back

how do both those AND the Keto spambots get past the anti bot filter anyway???

D

Deleted member

I'm spending the day drawing Wario as a pretty pony princess with wings and a unicorn horn.

What am I doing with my life?

Untitled.png

Twilight_speeds_away_from_Celestia_S5E7.png

These are my reference images.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
You can be tall and attractive and still be a spunky tomboy. I like Tiny’s redesign. It’s not her fault she isn’t being used so you can like it.
Sorry but I still don't like how she looks nowadays, it's just unappealing in my opinion plus her tomboyish attitude was much more noticeable back then but now she's pretty much a clone of Candy.

D

Deleted member

On a less sexual note, I’m in the process of building a pc. Just installed the fan, which was a bit of struggle but the rest should go smoothly.
Although due to the fan struggles, my thermal paste looks a bit cracked. Should I clean and re-apply it? I heard the thermal past should last for years before drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom