• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I believe this is a rather extreme example of "Death to the author."
I think you mean "Death of the Author".

Though "Death to the Author" would be an appropriate term for the extreme version of it. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Except... it's not true. If the author doesn't say anything then they're not bi/pan either. If the author doesn't say anything about it or give them a love interest, then their orientation.... doesn't exist. Saying this as a film and media major
I'm a film major too, what's your point? Everyone is bi/pan, sorry, I don't make the rules

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can we get Broly in Smash? Just saw the new movie and it had no right being that good. Although, I'd appreciate it if the 'no union' rule NOA seemingly has applied here lol
Broly gets in, but he's the whiny pre-transformation OG movie Broly.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I believe this is a rather extreme example of "Death to the author."
As an author, I don't like that. I think of thousands of little bits of the world and branching aspects of society that can't make their way into the story I'm telling. You're gonna tell me that that stuff is invalid if I can't actually get it into whatever I'm making? No.

You can do whatever you want with the stories I tell. But I can tell you how wrong you are. And I'd like it very much If you'd not start until I'm done actually telling it.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
As an author, I don't like that. I think of thousands of little bits of the world and branching aspects of society that can't make their way into the story I'm telling. You're gonna tell me that that stuff is invalid if I can't actually get it into whatever I'm making? No.

You can do whatever you want with the stories I tell. But I can tell you how wrong you are. And I'd like it very much If you'd not start until I'm done actually telling it.
Thank you, someone finally says it.

SonicMario

Smash Master
While were on the subject anyone else still a bit bitter about how Shadow got shafted. I mean you can't even say anymore cuz third parties only get one, cuz castlevania and street fighter got two each!
I think it's a little fair to say it's because we know Sakurai is particularly a big fan of both Street Fighter and Castlevania (I believe there's interviews and/or information backing that. Like I believe somewhere it's mentioned Sakurai played Street Fighter competitively at one point and mained Ryu)

I don't think Sakurai hates the Sonic franchise or anything ridiculous like that. But he does have his preferences at least.

Though I hope if there ever is a day Sonic gets the chance to have more characters in Smash (Which I don't think is happening this Smash). It's not just Shadow. I want Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm a film major too, what's your point? Everyone is bi/pan, sorry, I don't make the rules
Where are you getting this from? I've never heard of this principle before in any of the classes I've taken.

Also it would be helpful if you'd actually support this with something other than "it's a fact". For example, maybe a primary source that's not a tweet. All facts had to be proven first.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
....That’s my point, there’s no MM representation, he’s just another OOT iteration alongside :ultsheik:(BOTW suit aside)&:ultganondorf:.

The OOT representation in Smash is bloated enough already and a lack of MM content.
All you need is a stage and two AT characters
I would argue that A Link to The Past got it worse. Aside from Zelda's design and Cuccos, I can't recall any major ALTTP representation.

At least Majora's Mask has 2 assists and a stage.
All ALTTP needed was that magnificent Zelda we get to enjoy for this entire Smash generation
Then there's the original Zelda game...

No stage, no character design, no nothing (I mean, aside from creating the characters)

At least have the Old Man's cave as a stage or something...
Old Man has been banned from all Links for certain reasons...Starbomb can explain why
Just a reminder this applies to every single character in Smash
There was a problem fetching the tweet
nah
Its funny that I muted the SMO themes on the SMO stages pff
Im the opposite. I only allow Odyssey and Captain Toad music to play in New Donk
Well we could get pyrosphere back without the Ridley stage boss. I don't think anyone liked the stage bosses anyway. But then what would be the point. Hey while were at it could someone make a list of stages that didn't return?
If I can’t have 10 Ridleys fighting one another (8 playable, one Ditto, and one stage boss), then there’s no point in br8ng8mf back Pyrosphere
God, I’d kill for a non Green Hill Sonic stage, but sadly the Smash team thinks that’s all Sonic ever is.

Also, bringing back that side-scrolling, eye-burning oversaturated, tedious Pac-Land garbage over Pac-Maze is still stupid.
1. Windy Hill is all you get and you will accept that
2. 3DS gimmick no work on Switch without ruining the point of the stage

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Except... it's not true. If the author doesn't say anything then they're not bi/pan either. If the author doesn't say anything about it or give them a love interest, then their orientation.... doesn't exist. Saying this as a film and media major
You do realize people are often not allowed ro say that because of big bozos in networks right? Ian Flynn, a writer of Sonic comics, made Sally and Nicole a couple but the comics would never explicitly say it and he wasn't allowed to say it either until after the comic got canned. Alex Hirsch from Gravity Falls fame has expressed frustration at Disney not allowing him to have an openly LGBT character on the show. Kamen Rider Build's director has gone through SO many lengths to yell "THEY'RE GAY" without having to say it because Toei doesn't want to make the heteros upseteros to the point that in the Be The One movie, they basically fight the government for gay rights/love and peace.

TLDR: We are quite literally not allowed to get blatant LGBT representation most of the time so let us take what we can get

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
Game Time
Imagine that your most wanted character finally joined Smash, and they get a 30 seconds animated trailer. How would the trailer be?

Mine's Geno:
Trailer starts showing a small town during night, then changes into inside one of the houses, were a Toad kid is playing with a lot of dolls based on Smash Brothers characters. The Toad kid leaves and turns the lights off, after a few seconds of silence a star appears floating around, before entering a box full of toys. The box glows and starts shaking, until Geno bursts out of the box and the camera zooms on his face. GENO, Shoots for the Stars!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think you mean "Death of the Author".

Though "Death to the Author" would be an appropriate term for the extreme version of it. :laugh:
Ah damn, I guess that's why my schoolteachers didn't approve of me murdering all those book authors.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Game Time
Imagine that your most wanted character finally joined Smash, and they get a 30 seconds animated trailer. How would the trailer be?

Mine's Geno:
Trailer starts showing a small town during night, then changes into inside one of the houses, were a Toad kid is playing with a lot of dolls based on Smash Brothers characters. The Toad kid leaves and turns the lights off, after a few seconds of silence a star appears floating around, before entering a box full of toys. The box glows and starts shaking, until Geno bursts out of the box and the camera zooms on his face. GENO, Shoots for the Stars!
A trailer has Bayonetta climbing a mysterious tower having a monologue to herself to serious business before finishing her mumblings by greeting her opponent. "So, YOU'RE the Son of Sparda?" only for the camera to pan and show Dante with a splash text of DANTE KEEPS IT STYLISH. They banter for a bit and fight before cutting to gameplay

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You do realize people are often not allowed ro say that because of big bozos in networks right? Ian Flynn, a writer of Sonic comics, made Sally and Nicole a couple but the comics would never explicitly say it and he wasn't allowed to say it either until after the comic got canned. Alex Hirsch from Gravity Falls fame has expressed frustration at Disney not allowing him to have an openly LGBT character on the show. Kamen Rider Build's director has gone through SO many lengths to yell "THEY'RE GAY" without having to say it because Toei doesn't want to make the heteros upseteros to the point that in the Be The One movie, they basically fight the government for gay rights/love and peace.

TLDR: We are quite literally not allowed to get blatant LGBT representation most of the time so let us take what we can get
I get it. I'm a transgender and a lesbian. I know what it's like to not have representation in the media. But at the same time, inserting an orientation onto a character that may or may not actually have it is (in my opinion) disrespectful to the world the author created. If I don't say the orientation of one of my characters, it doesn't mean that the character is gay, or straight, or any specific orientation. It just means it's not important to the story. At the end of the day, that stuff is not for YOU to decide.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Im the opposite. I only allow Odyssey and Captain Toad music to play in New Donk
Oh Id never mute capt. toad. He is too pure to mute
Like their own version of Poes, maybe? That would be neat.
on one hand, there is wisp but he is more cute then scary

but on the other hand, there is also Zipper T Bunny and Hopkins, A person or other animal literaly in a zip up rabbit costume and an Inflatable blue rabbit

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Game Time

Mine's Geno:
Christmas Morning. A new video goes up on Nintendo’s channel titled “A Christmas Visit”. It’s a pre-rendered CGI seen. The Nintendo gang are all unwrapping presents. It looks exactly like you’d think a Nintendo Christmas party would look. But Donkey Kong is sad. He’s just looking out the window, staring at a snowman, forelorned. Mario walks up to him and hands him a gift. He opens it, but we don’t see what it is. We heard the familiar opening notes of a theme song “da da da dum”. A knock on the door with the follow up “da da da dum”. DK opens the door and sees Banjo and Kazooie! Their theme on full blast, the ape hugs his long lost friends and Banjo triumphantly holds up a Smash Invite. Then a splash screen. “Banjo and Kazooie return in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! 2019”.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Here’s what I don’t understand about the Kongs. Why are some clearly more evolved than others, like one’s a knuckle dragging ape and the other one’s australopithecus or some ****? What’s with that?
Well, "highly evolved" is an ambiguous term with no functional meaning. At best, it means a species that diverged from its ancestors later, so its divergence is "highest" on the family tree.

In essence, while DK might seem "less evolved" than Candy, his lineage has been evolving just as long as Candy's. "Less evolved" creatures exist at the same time as the "highly evolved" creatures. Jellyfish are one of the most primitive animals, but they exist at the same time as insects, fish, vertebrates etc.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ agree to disagree. But it’s ok little buddy.
I agree this isn't reeeeeally the place for gender politics but the logic is sound here. If a character has a canonical love interest of the opposite sex they can still be Bi or Pan, but that doesn't mean that their default orientation in this case is Bi/Pan, it means that you don't know if they are hetero/Bi/Pan, as all three are realistically just as likely.

I would also like to point out that any character who does not have a love interest could also just be Ace.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally when I write or read I just go in with the mindset of "sexuality not confirmed." As someone who REALLY dislikes the heteronormative notion of "straight until proven otherwise" that's been pervasive for a good long while, I also can't get behind "bi/pan until proven otherwise."

In the end I just don't think sexual orientation should have a default setting, since it's such a broad spectrum.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Christmas Morning. A new video goes up on Nintendo’s channel titled “A Christmas Visit”. It’s a pre-rendered CGI seen. The Nintendo gang are all unwrapping presents. It looks exactly like you’d think a Nintendo Christmas party would look. But Donkey Kong is sad. He’s just looking out the window, staring at a snowman, forelorned. Mario walks up to him and hands him a gift. He opens it, but we don’t see what it is. We heard the familiar opening notes of a theme song “da da da dum”. A knock on the door with the follow up “da da da dum”. DK opens the door and sees Banjo and Kazooie! Their theme on full blast, the ape hugs his long lost friends and Banjo triumphantly holds up a Smash Invite. Then a splash screen. “Banjo and Kazooie return in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate! 2019”.
"...As alternate skins for Steve, picking a fight this Fall!"

D

Deleted member

Game Time

Mine's Geno:
>*Trailer starts*
>Mario and Sonic are racing (Mario has a MK8 kart and Sonic his car from TSR)
>In one moment the camera stops following the two and stops.
>Then, a portal or wormhole pops up.
>The camera goes back quickly to the duo.
>Right after that, something goes out of the portal/wormhole with the speed of a bullet and leaving a track of flames.
>We get a zoom on the object: it is a creature with a biker outfit and sunglasses on a motorcycle.
>The creature does an Akira reference with the bike in the middle of the smoke.
>After the smoke dissappears, the camera zooms to the sunglasses of the creature, which takes them off to show two big eyes with green pupils.
>Mario and Sonic start looking surprised while the camera goes back to the creature.
>The creature spins to take off the outfit and does the final part of a familiar dance.
>*CRASH BANDICOOT HAS LANDED!*/*CRASH BANDICOOT DOUBLES THE INSANITY!*
>The music quickly cues to a remix of the Japanese theme from Crash Warped.
>*Insert gameplay*
>Final CGI scene similar to the one at the end of K.Rool's trailer but between three teams: Nintendo (Mario, Link and Pikachu), SEGA (Sonic, Bayonetta and Joker) and PlayStation (Crash, Snake and Cloud).
>Trailer apparently ends.
>Surprise scene where Aku Aku plays around with a Luma while Crash is seen in the background racing with Sonic and Mario.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Personally when I write or read I just go in with the mindset of "sexuality not confirmed." As someone who REALLY dislikes the heteronormative notion of "straight until proven otherwise" that's been pervasive for a good long while, I also can't get behind "bi/pan until proven otherwise."

In the end I just don't think sexual orientation should have a default setting, since it's such a broad spectrum.
This and more than half the cast are non anthromorphic animals (thanks pokemon).

Edit: Well maybe not non anthromorphic thinking about it but DK is just an ape wearing a tie that still sounds like looks like and smells like an ape

Edit 2: Wasn't it great of Elon Musk to finally invent Smell-o-vision.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
"...As alternate skins for Steve, picking a fight this Fall!"
Why must you antagonize people about this. We get it. You want Steve, I want Banjo. It's not like i commented on a post of yours with steve in it where Banjo comes in at the end and kills him or something. I was asked what I wanted. I gave my answer. There really is no need for this constant fighting.

Can we add some sort of guideline that prevents this in the future?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This and more than half the cast are non anthromorphic animals (thanks pokemon).

Edit: Well maybe not non anthromorphic thinking about it but DK is just an ape wearing a tie that still sounds like looks like and smells like an ape
I think you quoted the wrong post lol.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

This reminds me when Ilima was announced, tumblr, the ones that dont like to assume, assumed he was trans and ended every argument with "Sorry, I dont make the rules"

it was pretty ironic...and annoying because they dissregared that his offical sex was male

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!

Bingo - there's no default orientation. Even the Star Fox fanbase pretty universally views Falco as asexual but we don't really know.

D

Deleted member

tbh any notion of "[SEXUALITY] until proven otherwise" is harmful to ace ppl soooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom