• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I would've liked overworld encounters to return, they were really cool. But i'm not too upset about random encounters returning.

I've dealt with them for years, i'll survive.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The Gen 8 starters are like the Gen 4 base starters. They're cute, but none of them really stand out so I can't decide which one I like most. Gonna need to wait for the evolutions to be revealed.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
It's crazy that gen 7 is ending, I feel like it just started yesterday.

It's even weirder because gen 6 felt like it lasted for a while to me, but gen 6 and 7 lasted the exact same amount of time.

Is this...what getting older feels like?
Yes.. yes it is.

I know it feels really weird. I first became a Pokemon fan during Gen 4, and that was almost 13 years ago.

The games that I originally started w/ are now the ones being speculated to get remakes.

And on top of that, we're going into the 8th generation this year... it's almost surreal.

Last edited:

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I was watching Arlo's post-reveal discussion about Pokémon Sword and Shield.

"Nobody wanted random encounters to come back!"

*****, what? I actually like random encounters.
Kids nowadays don't like random encounters, but they also encourage grinding and thanks to the super training mechanic people didn't have to worry about who they fight anymore. Removing random encounters would speed the game up but also make it more difficult to grind so you aren't going to steamroll though gym battles anymore which is challenging but at the same time tooth grinding for those who just want to beat the game and hop online. A double edged sword; pro causal, con competitive player

D

Deleted member

It's crazy that gen 7 is ending, I feel like it just started yesterday.

It's even weirder because gen 6 felt like it lasted for a while to me, but gen 6 and 7 lasted the exact same amount of time.

Is this...what getting older feels like?
I remember when Bowser's Inside Story was brand new. I remember the commercials and videos on YouTube. I remember watching my sibling play it.
I played it before, but I do not think I have beaten Dark Bowser.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Premium users sit in ivory towers descending every now and then to mingle with the common folk.
Oh wait... I just released we have a new user here!

I know you probably have had plenty of welcomes since you've been here, but I'd like to welcome you to Smashboards as well!

(Obligatory Noipoi Noipoi tag in case he hasn't done his trademark intro yet.)

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
There’s nothing Premium folks love more than going downtown than going downthread and slumming with the normal users. They pull up in the accounts and gawk at the posters in the general thread just to watch them talk.
This puts a smile on my-I wish I had a thanos emote but this isn't discord.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Hate to be that "oh hurr durr I feel old because things came out a while ago" guy but honestly gen 5 releasing 9 years ago is ****ing astounding. I've gotten a driver's license, got my own house, almost got married, and have been arrested since then. black and white doesn't feel that old at all though. Like I legit feel like it maybe came out 3 years ago **** me

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Ever buy a game, then it gets delisted from its service but you can keep playing it and remembering the fun times you had with it?

D

Deleted member

It is so weird to think 2000 is almost 20 years.
2000 feels younger. Or the "21st century".

Someone help.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
All I'm gonna say is I think both Steve and Banjo should get in but I would prefer Banjo.

On a different Subject though, when I play Gen 1 & 2 should I play the Original versions for the authentic experience or should I play the remasters?
It depends.

The remakes are generally better, Fire Red and Leaf Green fix all the glitches and jank from the Generation 1 games while keeping the basic formula intact; while, as others have said, Heart Gold and Soul Silver are considered the among the best in the series.

Here's a general players guide.

Gen 1: Fire Red/Leaf Green or Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee
Gen 2: Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold or Soul Silver (it doesn't really matter)
Gen 3: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire (it doesn't really matter)
Gen 4: Platinum (the battles in Diamond and Pearl are really slow, Platinum fixes this)
Gen 5: Black or White
Gen 5.5: Black 2 or White 2 (one of the few direct sequels in the series)
Gen 6: X or Y
Gen 7: Sun or Moon

HG/SS and OR/AS have the same mechanics as the other games after Generation 4 (before Generation 4, whether an attack was considered Physical or Non-Physical was based on move type and not what the attack actually did), while there is no version of the Kanto games that use the modern Move Categorization while still keeping the normal formula.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
Oh wait... I just released we have a new user here!

I know you probably have had plenty of welcomes since you've been here, but I'd like to welcome you to Smashboards as well!

(Obligatory Noipoi Noipoi tag in case he hasn't done his trademark intro yet.)
Thank you its good to be here. I hope we can meet on the field of battle someday in Ultimate. Just not Tomodachi life, that stage can burn >.>

D

Deleted member

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Arlo whine about Hey Pikmin existing? Arlo seems like your average boring dude who thinks everything should appeal to him outside of the puppet gimmick so I honestly expect him to be entitled
I like Arlo a lot, but he definitely has bias issues when making his videos (anything he's ever had on Kirby is a pretty good example of how negative he can get when he isn't interested in something).

However, he did apologize for his initial Hey Pikmin reaction. He admitted he was too extreme and was being immature. I disagree with him a lot, but his discussion videos and reviews are, for the most part, well put together and interesting, so I enjoy his videos.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I was watching Arlo's post-reveal discussion about Pokémon Sword and Shield.

"Nobody wanted random encounters to come back!"

*****, what? I actually like random encounters.
Random Encounters is incredibly archaic game design. I was glad they got rid of it for the Let's Go games. Seeing them come back feels like a step back.

What's so much better about a random encounter compared to actually seeing the enemy out in the world? Invisible Pokemon kinda makes the wilderness feel empty. Like, theres Pokemon there, sure, but they just appear. Makes it feel super gamey when I'd love for the Pokemon world to become more realized.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of nostalgia...

I remember when a lot of the old shows on CN aired.

Courage the Cowardly Dog, Edd Ed n Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and more.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I like Arlo a lot, but he definitely has bias issues when making his videos (anything he's ever had on Kirby is a pretty good example of how negative he can get when he isn't interested in something).

However, he did apologize for his initial Hey Pikmin reaction. He admitted he was too extreme and was being immature. I disagree with him a lot, but his discussion videos and reviews are, for the most part, well put together and interesting, so I enjoy his videos.
He's also a puppet. So that's a plus.

D

Deleted member

It depends.

The remakes are generally better, Fire Red and Leaf Green fix all the glitches and jank from the Generation 1 games while keeping the basic formula intact; while, as others have said, Heart Gold and Soul Silver are considered the among the best in the series.

Here's a general players guide.

Gen 1: Fire Red/Leaf Green or Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee
Gen 2: Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold or Soul Silver (it doesn't really matter)
Gen 3: Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire (it doesn't really matter)
Gen 4: Platinum (the battles in Diamond and Pearl are really slow, Platinum fixes this)
Gen 5: Black or White
Gen 5.5: Black 2 or White 2 (one of the few direct sequels in the series)
Gen 6: X or Y
Gen 7: Sun or Moon

HG/SS and OR/AS have the same mechanics as the other games after Generation 4 (before Generation 4, whether an attack was considered Physical or Non-Physical was based on move type and not what the attack actually did), while there is no version of the Kanto games that use the modern Move Categorization while still keeping the normal formula.
Question, You said Black 2 and White 2 are direct sequels would it be okay if someone were to play Black then White 2? or do you have to specifically play White then White 2 or Black then Black 2?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Random Encounters is incredibly archaic game design. I was glad they got rid of it for the Let's Go games. Seeing them come back feels like a step back.

What's so much better about a random encounter compared to actually seeing the enemy out in the world? Invisible Pokemon kinda makes the wilderness feel empty. Like, theres Pokemon there, sure, but they just appear. Makes it feel super gamey when I'd love for the Pokemon world to become more realized.
idk, not seeing whats gonna kick my ass makes it more intresting to me when it finally does kick my ass

looking at you, octopath secert bosses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom