• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Smash Ultimate:

> brings back a lot of grassroot mechanics and embraces a lot of Melee-feeling tactics, while also opening up new mechanics
> opens up a lot of stage variety with various options to choose from with it's Battlefield and Omega Forms
> bringing in every character in Smash in history and tweaking them to the point where we have actual character variety
> while netcode is still kinda ****, online has way more going for it than Smash For ever did

Leffen: Ultimate should've innovated more

View attachment 194950
Leffen is critical of everything, it's just how he acts as a person. It's not like he dislikes Ultimate, he absolutely doesn't, but he's never been shy about voicing his opinions, unpopular as they may be.
At least he's not Salem, who stirs the pot basically just because he's an attention-seeking ********.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Would it be possible to have starters that aren’t fire/water/grass? Like, could they do something different?
Technically yes, but there aren't many type trios that form an effectiveness interaction that's as easy to understand as Grass < Fire < Water < Grass.
Ground/Ice/Poison gang
Eh... that's not a good trio, because Ice and Poison have no relation to each other.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Also "armored" evolutions sounds like something that gives some degree of creative restrictions, which is something I don't think GF likes to go for.

With Mega Evolution or Alola Forms, they had full creative freedom to do whatever they wanted with the pokemon involved. "Armored Evolutions" forces them to stick to a general theme and while there's still room for creativity there, I don't think GF would go for that.

D

Deleted member

I still can't believe that Ultimate literally has ten times more viable fighters than Melee.
honestly i respect melee, don't get me wrong, but you can't really talk about other games being **** when you have like 5 viable fighters, one of which relies on a cheap-ass grab infinite

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There could be Dark, Fighting and Psychic, but I feel like Grass, Fire, and Water is the ideal lineup, due to the strength and weaknesses being fairly straight forward for everyone to understand...
Dark being immune to Psychic all together kind of ruins that trio.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Unpopular opinion alert!

I gotta say I'm unenthused with Pokémon Sword and Shield so far.

Mind you, they've shown little to nothing about it so far, and my opinions could be proven wrong at any moment, but regardless.
  • The art style looks like HD Sun and Moon. Mind you, it looks great, but I wish they'd gone further.
  • The overworld looks empty despite it's large size, making for a lack of true adventure
  • Random encounters are back when Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee did away with those in favor of a much better system where players choose their encounters and can make chains for rare encounters instead of wandering around in grass for hours
  • No more Pokémon following you when that was a great touch from Let's Go
  • The region looks as linear as it gets. It literally looks like your path is a straight line to the top of the region with small deviations to the side.
  • Real hot take here, but I'm not sold on the starters yet. The more I look at them the better they seem, but I'm still unsure. Hopefully their evolutions flesh them out better
  • I want Kalos to be another region to visit in the post-game but you know it's not going to happen and that makes me sad.
I'm going to wait until Game Freak shows that they're committed to making a good Pokémon game for veteran players. They can say they're catering to us all they want but until I see a challenging Pokémon game that doesn't hold hands and isn't afraid to pull punches I'm not sold.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I never understood that. Can someone explain to me the difference between ground and rock? Aren’t those the same thing?
It's the difference between Soil and Stones.

Technically they're the same thing, but they're very different in practice.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Leffen is critical of everything, it's just how he acts as a person. It's not like he dislikes Ultimate, he absolutely doesn't, but he's never been shy about voicing his opinions, unpopular as they may be.
At least he's not Salem, who stirs the pot basically just because he's an attention-seeking ********.
Leffen accused French Bread of bribery. French Bread doesn't even have their own ****ing website, so yes, leffen IS an attention-seeking asshole who stirs the pot

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
There could be Dark, Fighting and Psychic, but I feel like Grass, Fire, and Water is the ideal lineup, due to the strength and weaknesses being fairly straight forward for everyone to understand...
dark is immune to psychic

the options are as follows:
grass/fire/water
grass/poison/ground
fire/rock/steel
fighting/flying/rock

of these four, good luck explaining the logic behind why ground is strong against poison to a 6 year old

D

Deleted member

Leffen accused French Bread of bribery. French Bread doesn't even have their own ****ing website, so yes, leffen IS an attention-seeking ******* who stirs the pot
Got me there, he's definitely wrong on that front.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Hey, I'm back. To celebrate the announcement of Pokemon Sword and Shield, I've decided to change from my original avatar to this, for some days. Took me a while to get it right, though.

I'm in Italy, so the names would be Pokemon Spada and Scudo. But they don't mix well with the sound; the English version does.

Anyways, before we say some things like 'Camera is fixed', blah blah... Let's not point our fingers now and immediately. We haven't even been shown what are the features or the gist of it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I never understood that. Can someone explain to me the difference between ground and rock? Aren’t those the same thing?
Ground types focus more on earth-based powers like earthquakes and mud attacks and whatnot. Rock types focus more so on rocks, ore, gems, fossils, and other such things.

They're similar, definitely, but Ground generally allows for more terrestrial mammals and reptiles without them having to have literal rocks make up their bodies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Not more than Ice and Water...
You can make an argument that they should be different. Water powered characters typically have, well, the ability to control and manipulate water. Ice powered characters revolve around controlling and creating cold. Sub-Zero doesn’t telekinetically control ice. Now, I still think they should be the same elemental class, but there’s an argument there.

When I think of “ground powers” and “stone powers” I think of the same thing. Controlling/manipulating the earth around you (earthbending. Basically).

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here are some type trios that cycle around in effectiveness.
Fighting > Dark > Psychic > Fighting​
Fighting > Steel > Fairy > Fighting​
Ice > Ground > Fire > Ice​
Bug > Grass > Rock > Bug​
Poison > Grass > Ground > Poison​
Water > Ground > Electric > Water​
None of them are as good as the Grass/Fire/Water trio, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

hey
guys guys guys
what if you get to visit sinnoh in the s&s postgame
sinnoh hd baybee

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I've seen 4chan now, and it's pure chaos, like usual.

But peoples seem to be pointing their gun about the leak including 'Armorized Charizard' and such on. Like how ****, they go far to compare this with Digimon, like what the hell

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't entirely believe it yet, just giving it the benefit of doubt

It's Game Freak. They'll find a way to shill more Gen I
There's still other ways to shill Gen 1. Charizard appeared in Sun/Moon as a Ride Pokemon despite not even being in that game's pokedex.

I'd have found armored Dragonite more believable. That's a Gen 1 icon that somehow went through both gen 6 and 7 without getting any Mega or Alolan Form.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ground types focus more on earth-based powers like earthquakes and mud attacks and whatnot. Rock types focus more so on rocks, ore, gems, fossils, and other such things.

They're similar, definitely, but Ground generally allows for more terrestrial mammals and reptiles without them having to have literal rocks make up their bodies.
Okay. That makes sense. It’s a weird distinction to make, but it works when you have as many types as you do in Pokémon.

D

Deleted member

Pokemon Sword and Shield looks cool and I'll probably pick it up, RIght now I'm considering the Fire Starter but I don't know what Starter I'll be using yet. The game doesn't really look all that different than LGPE but I didn't expect it to and while it doesn't look all too different it still looks better, also England is cool.

That's all I think of the game, seems cool and I'll pick it up.

D

Deleted member

I get you can be critical, but to say that "Ultimate hasn't innovated" where it clearly has in a lot of ways is being idiotic. ****, his behavior these past few weeks kinda makes me realize why so many people are glad Melee is gone from EVO's main lineup. He's basically out here becoming a Great Value-brand Salem, almost.

And if I were to choose to see Puff, Fox, Pikachu and/or Peach again in Melee finals or listening to another Animal Crossing track, you know I'm choosing the latter.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You can make an argument that they should be different. Water powered characters typically have, well, the ability to control and manipulate water. Ice powered characters revolve around controlling and creating cold. Sub-Zero doesn’t telekinetically control ice. Now, I still think they should be the same elemental class, but there’s an argument there.

When I think of “ground powers” and “stone powers” I think of the same thing. Controlling/manipulating the earth around you (earthbending. Basically).
Personally, I don't. Ask anyone with gardening experience, it's not hard to tell between earth and stones.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wonder if the new Pokemon titles have triggered certain smash fans yet... :yeahboi:

Anyway, the new games look nice, will be looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I think the make or break for Gen 8 for me is:
A) Does it really appeal to series veterans and newer fans alike? There really should be difficulty options and tutorials shouldn't be enforced.
B) Is there substantial postgame content?

D

Deleted member

I get you can be critical, but to say that "Ultimate hasn't innovated" where it clearly has in a lot of ways is being idiotic. ****, his behavior these past few weeks kinda makes me realize why so many people are glad Melee is gone from EVO's main lineup. He's basically out here becoming a Great Value-brand Salem, almost.

And if I were to choose to see Puff, Fox, Pikachu and/or Peach again in Melee finals or listening to another Animal Crossing track, you know I'm choosing the latter.
Sometimes it feels like Leffen falls way too hard into the villain ‘persona’ I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I think the make or break for Gen 8 for me is:
A) Does it really appeal to series veterans and newer fans alike? There really should be difficulty options and tutorials shouldn't be enforced.
B) Is there substantial postgame content?
Tbh these are the important questions. They did claim this one will be for more long-time Pokemon fans (or something like that). I hope they deliver something to that end.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
For the record I think armored Charizard and Mewtwo would be hype as all living heck, especially after Mewtwo somehow manage to get not just one but two lousy* mega forms. I just really don't like to give potential hoaxes the benefit of the doubt.

*Lousy design wise, not stat wise. X is kind of cool I guess but #NotMyMewtwo.

KMDP

Smash Legend
hey
guys guys guys
what if you get to visit sinnoh in the s&s postgame
sinnoh hd baybee
The outfits of the S&S protags remind me somewhat of the Lucas and Dawn's Platinum outfits.
Personally, I don't. Ask anyone with gardening experience, it's not hard to tell between earth and stones.
Basically: "Try growing a plant in some rocks and come back to me."

D

Deleted member

BTW I definitely think we're getting a Gen 8 Pokemon now and I'm not even upset.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The make or break with S/S for me is:
a) Is it a new Pokemon game on Switch?

Looks like it passed my rigorous screening process.

D

Deleted member

I hope S&S has a challenging postgame
I get that it's for kids so it makes sense why it's piss-easy but at least give me some challenge after the main story

osby

Smash Obsessed
For the record I think armored Charizard and Mewtwo would be hype as all living heck, especially after Mewtwo somehow manage to get not just one but two lousy* mega forms. I just really don't like to give potential hoaxes the benefit of the doubt.

*Lousy design wise, not stat wise. X is kind of cool I guess but #NotMyMewtwo.
Have to disagree with you on that one, I though Mega Mewtwo Y was really freaking cool.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I hope S&S has a challenging postgame
I get that it's for kids so it makes sense why it's piss-easy but at least give me some challenge after the main story
I hope they make it particularly challenging this time to contrast with Let's Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom