• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I do not understand Smash Fans.

Smash 4 Times: "Online needs a ranking system! This GSP thing is too weak!"

Smash Ultimate Times: "GSP is way too competitive!"

I actually like the Smash Ultimate GSP idea, but it does make losing a lot more stressful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakky

Smash Hero

I actually like the Smash Ultimate GSP idea, but it does make losing a lot more stressful.
Rankings are fine.

Flubbing my wins by putting me in BS rule sets is not fine.

I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT ON REGULAR MOVING ASS PAC-LAND!

WHAT IS THIS?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i dont wear suits

not cause i have a death-defying hatred for them

they're just really expensive

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That is quite interesting, I never seen a person hate a type of cloth for reasons other than it feel bad to wear.

I do agree, suit are so terrible to wear. But I personally respect someone who is willing to wear it.
You’re not transgender (I’m assuming). You have no idea how bad dysphoria is. Basically it’s like being depressed but with a Times twenty Stat multiplier. Imagine feeling that every time you put on a suit, on top of how uncomfortable they are to wear. You’d want to burn them all too.

D

Deleted member

I’d buy a Marvel vs DC game in a heartbeat. Too bad it’ll never happen though. That kind of game would break the internet if it did.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Honestly, once I realized that I've got no stakes, nothing to gain, nothing to lose, and nobody to impress, I've gotten way less tilted overall.
I keep telling that too myself but it's not working.

I'm too much of a perfectionist at heart.

Oh I still want there to be a ranking system, but I want it to be a good ranking system. GSP is a little bit of a mess.

Though there should also be an option to play unranked for people who don't want to deal with that stress. More options is always good.

D

Deleted member

The problem with GSP isn't that it's too competitive, it's that it's a horrible ranking system. It fluctuates wildy, you gain way less from winning than you lose from losing, it can still match you with people way out of your range, and the system is easily scammed by people using janky rulesets like 2-stock 3 minutes, items on, hazards on, etc.
You'd think Nintendo would learn by now after ARMS, Splatoon, and even ****ing Mario Tennis had good ranked play, but somehow Smash still can't even get a functioning MMR system right.

LetterO

Smash Lord
The worst part of being tilted is seeing how many matches you could win if the game didnt put you in a bad ruleset/be really laggy/put you against someone with way higher GSP/someone ragequitting last second, resulting in no GSP earned

Then you try to play again and you got penalized for half an hour because your opponents keep disconnecting last second

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't like suits cuz I look like crap in em.

Than again I look like crap in most things.

I'm starting to realize I might look like crap.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
most i'll wear is like a white dress shirt but i ain't wearing a suit

no tie either

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Crazy to think that after asking for Resident Evil 2 Remake for forever all we had up until last E3 was literally only this:

And now we're playing the game.

D

Deleted member

I like suits, they make you look cool.
I do not wear them often though.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
OK.... I ain't touchin' :ultridley: until after I get another character into Elite.

I literally just lost to Belmont spam and got knocked out of Elite.

Thankfully, I barely beat a 3.95 million GSP :ultike: and it gave me enough GSP to get back into Elite.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Unlike versions of evil Supermen though which I'm aware has been done before Brightburn is pretty much if he's always been evil without any influences or things happening in his life. He's just naturally evil from birth.
Sounds pretty interesting

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Crazy to think that after asking for Resident Evil 2 Remake for forever all we had up until last E3 was literally only this:

Easily a strong Game of the Year for me. It is so good, I grabbed RE7 and REmake right after finishing it. I wasn't even waiting for it (I actually thought it was going the ways of FF7 remake), but the hype of seeing Leon was insane.

D

Deleted member

Yes, we are. But not me. A bit to much raw flesh exposed for me. :ultluigi:
Time flies. .

MainJPW

M.T.A

I'm heavily considering purchasing this game. The only Resident Evil's I ever really played was Code Veronica on Dreamcast and 4 on PS2 so I missed out on a lot.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm heavily considering purchasing this game. The only Resident Evil's I ever really played was Code Veronica on Dreamcast and 4 on PS2 so I missed out on a lot.
This one's a damn good place to jump back in. Near perfect Resident Evil experience if I do say so myself.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
It is definitely worth it. Easily one of the most polish RE experience to date. And if it is the difficulty that scares you, know that there is an easy mode and the game adjust its difficulty as you play, becoming easier if you play bad but harder if you play good.

D

Deleted member

A little late to the party, but as someone who plays DBFZ competitively, and actively follows the Pro-Scene, I wanna throw my two cents into the mix.

My personal beef with SonicFox, and I imagine most people's is that he's been put up on a pedestal by American media as "The Best Fighting Game Player in the World" or "The Best DBFZ Player in the World," when in truth, yes, he's very skilled, but he's not deserving of either of those titles. In DBFZ alone, Dogura, Kazunoko, and hell, even Go1 are all much better players than he is. Kaz has not only beaten him multiple times, but also won 4 Dragonballs in the WT to Fox's 1. Not only that, but Fox's victory at EVO 2018 was won with a rather underhanded tactic to throw off his opponent's momentum, just when it looked like he was starting to lose.

And some people might even try to argue "well, Fox is good at MANY fighting games, not just one" but the same holds true for all the top players in DBFZ. Go1 comes from Melty Blood, Leffen is a Melee player, and Kaz has won tons of Majors in Guilty Gear Xrd, Guilty Gear XX, Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter V, and MvC3. In fact, most of Sonic's claim to fame came in games with relatively less competitive games with much smaller scenes like Mortal Kombat and Injustice. So, by all merits, he's most certainly NOT the best fighting game player alive right now, not even close.

In short, in many ways it feels like SonicFox is being given that recognition, not because of his merit and skills because while he might be very good, he's definitely not the best, but because of his race and sexual identity. He fits the profile of a certain political narrative that western media is trying to push, and that's why he's given his recognition.

It's similar to the ****storm that brewed up surrounding the Oscars for some reason. Many people wanted Black Panther to win the Oscar, purely because of the political significance it would have had. When, if we're speaking objectively, BP was a very mediocre film which only got a lot of recognition because of the political climate. 20 years ago, no one gave a single **** about Blade, despite Wesley Snipes playing a badass Vampire Hunter as the protagonist. Hell, BP didn't even deserve the Oscar Nomination imo, even among superhero stuff, the only film truly deserving of recognition, not only for being a legitimately great film, but ALSO because of the incredibly difficult task it successfully accomplished in crossing over so many IP, was Infinity War. But of course, that wouldn't suit the narrative, so BP got the nomination AND won 3 Oscars as a result. Hell, all over the headlines yesterday, there was a lot of buzz over how "significant these Oscars were" because they had so much diversity, and so many women and people of color won awards...

Idk, I was born in the 90s. In an era where we were taught that race, sex, religion, orientation, and etc... do no matter. We learned not to judge people based on those facets, but rather on their merits as individuals, but it seems like all of the sudden, the world has turned around and said that the only things that DO matter are race, sex, orientation, religion, etc... except, only if you're of a minority group, thereby excluding anyone who's not part of that "in" crowd, regardless of their merit or talent. That's why people are bothered by SonicFox. It's less to do with him as an individual, and more to do with part of the narrative he's being used to showcase.

D

Deleted member

Because Ultimate's Online is a cluster**** that seems to have been designed by an incompetent fool. It does not fulfill any of the needs that a competitive online fighting game should have.

Every other fighting games in the market gives you an option between a casual mode with no rank, where you can try new characters, relax, or just get some weekend practive in to dust the rust off, and a competitive ranked mode you play to boost your player rank. The rank, is tied to YOU as a person, not to your characters. And, your ranking is made clear. If you're of a certain status, you've given a list of all the other players so you can see where you stand, which then motivates you more to keep trying, and keep improving.

In Ultimate, I'm currently at 3.96 million GSP with my main. What the hell does that even mean? It's an arbitrary number that holds no real value. All I know is that I'm in Elite, so I guess it MUST mean that I'm among the best players I guess, right? Well, who the **** knows, but Sakurai doesn't want bad players to feel bad, so GSP is specifically designed so people don't feel discouraged. However, the very way the entire system is designed actively discourages people from really playing, as they're all too precious about their pointless ePeen number.

Also, not letting us switch characters between rounds is downright dumb. Especially in a game as match-up heavy and with so many characters as Ultimate.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Does anyone have a picture of an anime girl with long hair that’s kind of floating upwards behind her? I need a reference for a drawing and it’s not exactly a searchable term.

D

Deleted member

The problem is that GSP was and never will be a good or remotely viable competitive ranking system. Not to mention the fact that casual matches such as FFA Items matches affecting it completely ruins any idea of taking it seriously as a metric for who is and isn't good at the game. What we need is an actual leaderboard with proper rankings and statistics. Heck, even something as simple as Splatoon's system would be 10x better than what we have now. Ranks are also useful for the game to help determine who you should be going up against, in hopes that you play with people in your general skill range. Ultimate tries, and from what I've heard, fails to do this reliably, as there will be times when you'll face off against someone with way higher GSP than you. This really shouldn't be happening, and goes to show how unreliable a point and score system is when compared to proper ranks with match making for them.

Another huge problem with the game's online is the lack of a definitive ruleset or different rankings for different categories. As I stated previously, the fact FFAs can affect your GSP is a complete joke, made worse by the fact there is no way to avoid them. With how preferred match making works, you will inevitably end up playing with rules you don't want simply so the game can throw you in something sooner, as it seems to prioritize speed rather than finding what you want. Elite Smash doesn't fix these issue either, as the mode is nothing more than a glorified, meaningless title that uses the same flawed match making.

D

Deleted member

The problem is that GSP was and never will be a good or remotely viable competitive ranking system. Not to mention the fact that casual matches such as FFA Items matches affecting it completely ruins any idea of taking it seriously as a metric for who is and isn't good at the game. What we need is an actual leaderboard with proper rankings and statistics. Heck, even something as simple as Splatoon's system would be 10x better than what we have now. Ranks are also useful for the game to help determine who you should be going up against, in hopes that you play with people in your general skill range. Ultimate tries, and from what I've heard, fails to do this reliably, as there will be times when you'll face off against someone with way higher GSP than you. This really shouldn't be happening, and goes to show how unreliable a point and score system is when compared to proper ranks with match making for them.

Another huge problem with the game's online is the lack of a definitive ruleset or different rankings for different categories. As I stated previously, the fact FFAs can affect your GSP is a complete joke, made worse by the fact there is no way to avoid them. With how preferred match making works, you will inevitably end up playing with rules you don't want simply so the game can throw you in something sooner, as it seems to prioritize speed rather than finding what you want. Elite Smash doesn't fix these issue either, as the mode is nothing more than a glorified, meaningless title that uses the same flawed match making.
Not to mention the game doesn't give you an option to deny matches from people with bad online. You're just thrown into a match, yes or yes, with no real indicator of who you'll be fighting exactly. I can understand hiding rank, and even character. But rulesets and more important CONNECTION should be information given to you before a match, and you should always be given the option to decline a match.

It sucks when you're thrown into a complete lagfest for 7 mins, and your only options are to either lose, or endure the hell that awaits you because some dude is playing on Wifi on dial-up or some nonsense, and they KNOW it, so they've adapted their play strategy to their ****ty connection.

Does anyone have a picture of an anime girl with long hair that’s kind of floating upwards behind her? I need a reference for a drawing and it’s not exactly a searchable term.
What angle? Profile, from the side with the hair blowing back?

D

Deleted member

Honestly, once I realized that I've got no stakes, nothing to gain, nothing to lose, and nobody to impress, I've gotten way less tilted overall.
THIS.

This mindset right here. This is the best mindset to have, and is what I'm going to keep in mind whenever I get back to Smash. I always stress myself out about win rates and my performance that I forget to have fun. It just makes me not want to play the game when I feel that way, and I hate that because I love Smash and want to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom