• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't even remember what SonicFox said at The Game Awards. That he was gay? Was that it?
The dude is a combination of two of the most frowned-upon communities in the world; furry, and homosexual. Hope he’s not, y’know, harassed for that.
He’s smug, but is he a nice guy?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Black Panther got nominated for (7?) Oscars and won (3?). It was a good and fun movie with some thought-provoking themes, but most people seem to agree that it wasn't that much better than most MCU movies, and certainly not the best MCU movie overall. Most people seem to agree that Infinity War was better, but it got no nominations at all. And I don't think any other superhero movie ever got that many nominations, let alone that many wins.
You do realize that studios have to promote the movie as an Oscar Nominee to get even considered, right? Why do you think theres always those "For your consideration" advertisements around this year? Marvel actually promoted Black Panther in that way. They've never done any other movie of theirs that way. Besides that it's the first superhero movie I think ever to have more artists of color than any other. The Oscar's isn't really about what movie was "the best" anymore and that's a damn shane.

And Infinity War did get Nominated. For best visual effects.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I know the Oscars can be controversial, but wasn't there some controversial thing in the 2019 Oscars that I am missing?
I probably missed the controversy or whatever it was.
Spike Lee got robbed of best picture again.
At least he got another award tho.

The dude is a combination of two of the most frowned-upon communities in the world; furry, and homosexual. Hope he’s not, y’know, harassed for that.
He’s smug, but is he a nice guy?
Yeah, he donated a quarter of the prize money he won at a tournament to his opponent because of someone in their family being in a dire situation.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
He reiterated that he was a gay, black, furry, and that Republicans hated all of the above.
Wow, did he really said the last part on stage? Or was it just twitter after the show? Still, out of all the places to get political.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also the Kevin Hart dismissal.
Also the reaction to Green Book winning, from both sides.

If you only float controversies raised by a single camp, I see why it seems so unbalanced.

Spike Lee got robbed of best picture again.
At least he got another award tho.
Well people thinking someone else should win is pretty par for the course.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Wow, did he really said the last part on stage? Or was it just twitter after the show? Still, out of all the places to get political.
I mean, is it political when your stating an objective truth? I remember that speech and I remember laughing, and it’s the kind of joke that only works when you know it’s true. And it kind of.... is.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yep, on stage, part of the speech. People really burying the lead here.

I mean, is it political when your stating an objective truth? I remember that speech and I remember laughing, and it’s the kind of joke that only works when you know it’s true. And it kind of.... is.
Yeah, truthful or not, when you literally talk about the apparent values of a political party, it's political.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"We've got to have...Money!"
The story of an animated employee named "Employee 1" who works on animation and just wants original ideas.

Sony's Story:
Employee 1: "Hey, what movie should we make?"
Employee 2: "I do not know. :laugh:"
Employee 3: "THAT'S IT! KIDS LOVE EMOJIS, LET'S MAKE A MOVIE OFF OF IT!"
Employee 4: "That is a great idea!"
Employee 1: "NONONONONO"
Employee 4: We are going to be rich, nice work Employs 2 and 3! :love:
Employee 1: I am quitting this job, because my energy is too precious for wasting it on a terrible idea.

Disney's Story:
Employee 1: "I quit Sony because they made a booty movie, so what ideas do you have?"
Employee 2: "REBOOTS."
Employee 3: "REBOOTS."
Employee 4: "REBOOTS."
Employee 1: "But-but-bu, what about originality?"
Employee 2: "Sorry, kid. We are now focusing on rebooting classical movies, because that is the jackpot!"
Employee 3: "Yeah. Pretty low effort, no thinking, and we make a killing."
Employee 1: "How many reboots are you making anyways?"
Employee 4: "We have so many planned out!"
Employee 1: "Uggh..."
Employee 3: "You know, not all of our projects are reboots."
Employee 1: "ORIGINAL IDEAS?"
Employee 4: "Sequels."
Employee 1: "Bye...."

Dreamworks:

Employee 1: "Sony is booty and Disney's brain is only focused on darn cash-grab reboots and sequels."
Employee 2: "Uh, buddy."
Employee 1: "IF IT IS ANOTHER REBOOT I AM GOING TO GO WORK FOR THE MILITARY."
Employee 2: "Uhh, we planned a Shrek reboot."
Employee 1: "ALLRIGHT, BYE..."
Employee 3: "Wait, there are more."
Employee 1: "What?"
Employee 3: "We recently made the final move of the HtTYD series, you should watch it."
Employee 1: "This is exactly like Disney..."
Employee 3: "Give it a try!"
*Employee 1 watched HtTYD 1, 2 and 3."
Employee 1: "OH MY GOODNESS THAT WAS ADORABLE. ORIGINAL IDEAS, NO DREADED SEQUEL UNLIKE TOY STORY, NO SIGNS OF REBOOTS IN FOREVER, YES! THIS IS PERFECT!"
Employee 3: "I am glad you liked it!"
Employee 1: "So what now?"
Employee 2: "Well, how about you work on the Shrek Reboot?"
Employee 1: "You know, as much as I hate reboots, I guess this is my fate."
Employee 4: "It certainly is."

*Later*

Disney Employe 2: "Kiddo, we need a solid animator on Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2."
Employee 1: "Pixar sequels are meh, but I will do it."
Sony Employee 2: "Do you want to animate some Spider-Verse shorts?"
Employee 1: YESYESYESYESYES I LOVE SPIDERVERSE I AM SO HAPPY IT WON!!!
Warner Bros Employee 2: "Hey kiddo, do you like Detective Pikachu? You are such a good animator, would you like to animate the sparks coming out of Pikachu?"
Employee 1: "YES!!!"
Illumination Employee 2: "Do you want to help me animate my Mario movie featuring Toads that are literally the exact same as Minions?"
Employee 1: "NO."

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Pretty much everything is political so yeah.
Yeah, truthful or not, when you literally talk about the apparent values of a political party, it's political.

If everything is political than what’s the point of getting mad? And even more so, what’s the alternative? Say nothing of any real value?

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I have a plant manipulator as well, though he can only make plants rapidly grow and control how they grow. The way he fights is mainly through Seed Bombs, which is him readying seeds with his ability and releasing it later, be it by creating a giant projectile in midair or setting up a trap, impaling them by making the plant grow its roots on others or making others ingest seeds and then making them grow from the inside. He can only control exactly what direction the plant grows if he's touching it, however, meaning his projectile version is less reliable but that doesn't matter when you drop a giant tree on someone.
He can also use his powers to obtain food by growing a specific tree, capture others through the use of vines, and even to hide by growing a tree around him, but he mainly uses it for the killing bits because he's, well, a villain.
I see, yeah my girl is a little less um...brutal with her plant powers, but she can use grow seeds and use vines as well. Also she’s in command of a cavalry of armor suit-like plants that can act as military forces or utilized for heavy duty tasks.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
If you bring up Democrat or Republican, I am pretty sure it is political, truth or not.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If everything is political than what’s the point of getting mad? And even more so, what’s the alternative? Say nothing of zany real value?
Depends on what you consider real value.

As far as I know, him giving a heartfelt speech thanking his friends for helping him get to this point in his life had some value as well, at least more than an offhand joke about Republicans.

I see, yeah my girl is a little less um...brutal with her plant powers, but she can use grow seeds and use vines as well. Also she’s in command of a cavalry of armor suit-like plants that can act as military forces or heavy duty tasks.
Oh, that's a real great take on the plant-golem AND possessed hollow suit of armor. Sounds neat.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know what the biggest ****ing joke about the Oscar's is? Josh Brolin has never won an Oscar. Not for No Country for Old Men, not for Sicario, not for American Gangster, not for True Grit. It's ****ing stupid.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If everything is political than what’s the point of getting mad? And even more so, what’s the alternative? Say nothing of zany real value?
I'm not coming down on political speeches, people can say as they please... but have you never seen a poignant apolitical acceptance speech?

Watch Greg Miller's from one of the past VGAs.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oh, that's a real great take on the plant-golem AND possessed hollow suit of armor. Sounds neat.
Thanks, I’m admittedly also workshopping ideas for potentially an ACTUAL possessed suit of armor as a member of the same team she’s on as well. Either that or a gargoyle.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
You do realize that studios have to promote the movie as an Oscar Nominee to get even considered, right? Why do you think theres always those "For your consideration" advertisements around this year? Marvel actually promoted Black Panther in that way. They've never done any other movie of theirs that way. Besides that it's the first superhero movie I think ever to have more artists of color than any other. The Oscar's isn't really about what movie was "the best" anymore and that's a damn shane.

And Infinity War did get Nominated. For best visual effects.
Ah, well that explains that. Still a peculiar choice of nominee when Infinity War was more of a cinematic accomplishment, although Black Panther was more self-contained. The thing about having more artists of color than any major Hollywood production or whatever definitely shows, because the movie's biggest strength was in its art department. Almost everything in the art department was outstanding, and that's where the movie shines. So as a cultural touchstone and piece of art, it's great. But in terms of story and acting, it's not that exceptional. It has more depth than the average superhero movie, but plenty of other superhero movies have depth, too.

My high bar is Spider-Man 2, which did win a single Oscar... for best visual effects, and two nominations for sound. Of course, that was long before superhero movies were taken as seriously as they are now.

Oh, I checked Infinity War's accolades first to see if it did, but missed that the Oscars are formally called the Academy Awards, so I didn't catch that.

At least most people agree that Into the Spider-Verse getting Best Animated Picture was the right choice.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Watch that HTTYD:THW or Missing Link wins Best Animated Picture next year.

**** Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sheik is so bad, it hurts.

It takes Sheik 14-16 forward airs to reach 60%.

And that is not even applying stale moves.

Want to know something special? So many characters can reach 60% with using very few moves. Ridley, Roy and Chrom can all reach 60% with one move naturally, and some counters can come close to that or even higher than 60%.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Is the show good? It seemed kinda cringey from the ads and I am not a big SpiderMan fan.
I think you’ll get something out of it even if you’re not a Spider-Man fan, and it explains everything pretty well so I don’t think you’ll need to have prior experience to understand what’s going on.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Every time I think I've gotten over my tilt I go back onto quickplay and instantly realize that I'm not.

I really want to like this game's online. I really do. But there's just something about GSP and the Elite Mode barrier that frustrates me more then any online mode I've ever played and I have no clue what it is.

D

Deleted member

Finding creative uses for powers, loophole abuses and weird powers is my favorite kind of brainstorming. The Power System I'm making use of for my story is kinda like Stands but with objects, they tend to manifest as weapons, though they can also be any one mundane items such as scarves or large wooden puppets.
The main character has a scythe and its ability is "to treat anyone as if they were equal to its user" which sounds weird and dumb but that effectivelly means it doesn't matter who she would face, her scythe would be just as effective as it'd be on herself. She can kill anyone, even something that never knew death, fitting for a wielder of the same weapon as the Grim Reaper.
And here's the Loophole Abuse: this ability also applies to the scythe itself, there's no differentiation between the scythe and herself. And since a person can "summon" and "call back" their weapon at will, her scythe can then do the same to her, which allows her to basically teleport to where her scythe is by having it "call her back" and then "summon" her.
you can tell im inspired by Fate with all this bs

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Finding creative uses for powers, loophole abuses and weird powers is my favorite kind of brainstorming. The Power System I'm making use of for my story is kinda like Stands but with objects, they tend to manifest as weapons, though they can also be any one mundane items such as scarves or large wooden puppets.
The main character has a scythe and its ability is "to treat anyone as if they were equal to its user" which sounds weird and dumb but that effectivelly means it doesn't matter who she would face, her scythe would be just as effective as it'd be on herself. She can kill anyone, even something that never knew death, fitting for a wielder of the same weapon as the Grim Reaper.
And here's the Loophole Abuse: this ability also applies to the scythe itself, there's no differentiation between the scythe and herself. And since a person can "summon" and "call back" their weapon at will, her scythe can then do the same to her, which allows her to basically teleport to where her scythe is by having it "call her back" and then "summon" her.
you can tell im inspired by Fate with all this bs
So like Noctis and his throw-teleport shenanigans?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Neither of those two have even come out yet, dude.
Disney or Pixar always has to win everything though.

Also Toy Story 4 is an unnecessary cash grab of a sequel given how perfect of an ending the third movie was and reeks of fan service for the WoodyxBo Peep shippers upset at her absence in 3 feeling like Pixar's way of apologizing.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Is the show good? It seemed kinda cringey from the ads and I am not a big SpiderMan fan.
The show or movie? Despite being an avid Spider-Man fan, and the movie apparently being absolutely amazing, I haven't seen it yet. Didn't have the time back then with how crazy November was for me.

As for the show, which I believe you might be thinking of the continuation of Ultimate Spider-Man where they brought in Miles, Gwen, etc... that show is considered by most to be vastly inferior to most other animated Spider-Man shows. I've seen a few episodes, and it seemed more transparently focused on selling toys than telling a good story. There was very little drama or seriousness to the whole thing, compared to the 90's show and Spectacular Spider-Man, which were much more compelling. Ultimate Spider-Man put more emphasis on comedy than anything else.

If you want the best Spider-Man show, go watch Spectacular. It only has two seasons, unfortunately, since it got cancelled due to rights changing hands between Sony and Marvel, but they're some of the best two seasons of Spider-Man you'll probably see for a while.

D

Deleted member

Also Toy Story 4 is an unnecessary cash grab of a sequel given how perfect of an ending the third movie was and reeks of fan service for the WoodyxBo Peep shippers upset at her absence in 3 feeling like Pixar's way of apologizing.
Just because it is a cash grab, does not mean it is bad.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'm not coming down on political speeches, people can say as they please... but have you never seen a poignant apolitical acceptance speech?

Watch Greg Miller's from one of the past VGAs.

I mean. That’s nice, but have you not seen the world we live in right now? We need people who are going to spread messages of tolerance to all groups, and who will call out those who try to spread hatred. Plus, I think there’s something to the fact that the speech you gave me came from a (most likely) straight white guy. Sonic Fox is a gay black furry. I think they have different things on their mind, and different messages they feel the need to spread.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
dont talk **** about toy story
Not the first three. But yes **** this one because it ruins an emotionally satisfying ending to what was the third movie and would had been a perfect closure to the series.

Again feels like fan service to WoodyxBo Peep shippers and Pixar's way of apologizing for he absence in the third.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Not the first three. But yes **** this one because it ruins an emotionally satisfying ending to what was the third movie and would had been a perfect closure to the series.

Again feels like fanservice to WoodyxBo Peep shippers and Pixar's way of apologizing for he absence in the third.
You know people said very similar things when Toy Story 3 rolled around more than a decade after Toy Story 2, and that movie was amazing.

Toy Story has earned the benefit of the doubt to me, I'm actually going to see it before I judge it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom