• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
I've been "lurking" this site since 2013. I was just always too scared to join, and figured I wasn't really interesting enough (and that turned out to be true) to really get the most enjoyment out of this site. I haven't played Smash Ultimate yet, and don't get me wrong, I still want to play it, but my interest in Smash in general has kinda been falling by the wayside, so I doubt I'll even be active here in a couple of months or so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I swear I wasn’t trying to imply that.

I’m sorry.

Please forgive me.
Because I am old and wise, I forgive you, young one.

You have much to learn.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
For years I assumed SmashBoards was this super serious place where all the serious aspects of the game and its meta were discussed and determined, not a place for casual folk or silly antics. I only joined to discuss Ultimate, since I planned to take it very seriously after it was announced at E3.

...I've made better assumptions.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
For years I assumed SmashBoards was this super serious place where all the serious aspects of the game and its meta were discussed and determined, not a place for casual folk or silly antics. I only joined to discuss Ultimate, since I planned to take it very seriously after it was announced at E3.

...I've made better assumptions.
In the Brawl days, it absolutely was. AllisBrawl was the Smash forum where everyone goofed off and Smashboards was where real Smashers were. Then during Smash 4 I wasn't here much because I remember this being a no-fun zone. I made a forum game topic where you take out one confirmed roster character and substitute another in every post and it was closed three posts in due to "possibly starting a flame war in the future".

Nowadays I feel like if you're going to take Smash very seriously in the competitive scene, you have to get in the backroom and/or Discord. There's not enough real discussion happening in the character forums.

I keep coming here because I like you guys and it's fun.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Then during Smash 4 I wasn't here much because I remember this being a no-fun zone.
Ah, this reminds me of when I got blasted for suggesting Tails as a newcomer. Never felt more defeated in my life when I saw that posts like count lmaooo.

But now that all those fan rules have been broken down that never happens nowadays thankfully.

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
The GSP system isn’t terrible for me because I’ll play pretty much any ruleset. I don’t even turn on preferred ruleset. If it’s 1v1 3 stock no items hazard off? Sweet. Chaotic free for all with nothing but hammers? Let’s do it.

Playing with every stage and every item breeds a tolerance for madness :p

That being said... yeah, they should fix the matchmaking a bit AND allow for rejecting a laggy connection :/

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So listening to DKC:TF and LoZ:BotW tracks for like an hour may have cured my tilt.

I just lost three matches straight against the same Peach player. All of the matches were extremely close but I managed to lose over 100,000 GSP from it somehow and yet I'm not even feeling frustrated over it.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
In the Brawl days, it absolutely was. AllisBrawl was the Smash forum where everyone goofed off and Smashboards was where real Smashers were. Then during Smash 4 I wasn't here much because I remember this being a no-fun zone. I made a forum game topic where you take out one confirmed roster character and substitute another in every post and it was closed three posts in due to "possibly starting a flame war in the future".

Nowadays I feel like if you're going to take Smash very seriously in the competitive scene, you have to get in the backroom and/or Discord. There's not enough real discussion happening in the character forums.

I keep coming here because I like you guys and it's fun.
Huh, so I wasn't too far off originally.

I guess it has to do with Smash's reputation in the overall gaming scene. For years it was seen as a kiddie game that many didn't take seriously as a fighting game, let alone something worth playing at tournaments. So everyone here had to be serious business, as anything less might be seen as evidence for why Smash and its community are too immature or something.

But around 2013 and 2014 is when the game's competitive scene started picking up steam (I think when Melee got into EVO again?) and over time things must've winded down as Smash is now mostly taken seriously and people can be less insecure about it. Smash is now bigger, more popular, and more competitive than it's ever been, so we can just chill and enjoy the times, rather than fret about the state of things.

At least, that's my guess.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
So listening to DKC:TF and LoZ:BotW tracks for like an hour may have cured my tilt.

I just lost three matches straight against the same Peach player. All of the matches were extremely close but I managed to lose over 100,000 GSP from it somehow and yet I'm not even feeling frustrated over it.
Does GSP reduction per loss decrease as your GSP gets higher? Because plenty of times I've been a 1 mil+ GSP, and then a single loss drags me down to 600k.

Also Tropical Freeze music is truly incredible. Great choice. ;)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Does GSP reduction per loss decrease as your GSP gets higher? Because plenty of times I've been a 1 mil+ GSP, and then a single loss drags me down to 600k.

No, it operates more on a bell curve.
The closer you are towards the middle of the curve, the more volatile your ranking system is, which is compounded when you have a character with little to no games played as the system tries to judge you.

in short, it's all meaningless and it really makes the feeling of progress confusing and frustrating, and by God, do I wish they could've just stolen literally any other fighting game ranking system than doing their classic Nintendoism of having their dumb unique way.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
No, it operates more on a bell curve.
The closer you are towards the middle of the curve, the more volatile your ranking system is, which is compounded when you have a character with little to no games played as the system tries to judge you.

in short, it's all meaningless and it really makes the feeling of progress confusing and frustrating, and by God, do I wish they could've just stolen literally any other fighting game ranking system than doing their classic Nintendoism of having their dumb unique way.
Yeah. I've had to give up caring about match outcomes since losses can be so punishing sometimes. What's especially frustrating and saddening is that Smash, one of Nintendo's premiere multiplayer experiences, and the game I typically want to play online, has to be cursed with such a laughably inept system for online play. I hope they can somehow fix it, but at this point I doubt they will.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm just here to spread the gospel of my favorite games like an overenthusiastic Jehovah's Witness.

Also, to push my support thread, but I think I've just about rung out all the SMT fans I can from this website.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Screw it ima Just dew it
Fawful_wants_applause_icon.gif
fawful-is-also-feeling-it-even-fawful-is-feeling-it-2698343.png
Darkfawfulexplode.png
Fawful3.png
Fawful-Laugh.gif
Fawful_2_MLSSBM.gif
IMG_20190201_091201.png
IMG_20190221_110116.jpg
IMG_20190221_110133.jpg
IMG_20190221_110157.jpg
IMG_20190221_110226.jpg
IMG_20190221_110244.jpg
IMG_20190221_110302.jpg
IMG_20190221_110323.jpg
IMG_20190221_110337.jpg
IMG_20190221_110351.jpg
IMG_20190221_110404.jpg
IMG_20190221_110419.jpg
IMG_20190221_110431.jpg
IMG_20190221_110445.jpg
At this point I hit the maximum amount of quotes so you're missing
"Fawful sits on the cozy couch sipping the tea that laughs at you."
And
"Fawful... Just wanted... Some Kingdom conquering..."

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Ya know, I've always passed up on Mario and Luigi games but these Fawful memes are actually making me consider having a go at one of them.
I chose that soundtrack in particular because Tropical Freeze and Breath of the Wild are both games I go to when I'm stressed out and need to calm down. Atmospheric games like that are great for that.

My absolute favorite DK song has to be the track that plays in Amiss Abyss. I've gone back and replayed that level so many times for the heck of it during the Wii U days.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I joined to try to contribute to the community in a constructive way. But then I saw the light in the form of the art of SpongeBob ****posting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys, my uncle from Nintendo just sent me some info on the content of the next Direct:
6799FAEB-8303-42A5-B1C2-D4E054E07330.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom