• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What if the next guy to wright for Persona makes P6 entirely about LGBTQ issues in order to make up for the past sins of the franchise?
Or what if the writer for P6 just makes it about whatever they want to make it since this issue is being overblown and the representation of LGBTQ in Persona games, while not great, isn't as horrible as people are making it out to be?
Are you Australian?
No, but my uncle is.
I thought New Zealand was a mythical place that sunk itself into the ocean because of some danger on Earth.

Or maybe I've read the TF2 comics one too many times.
No, you're right. New Zealand is the base for the myth of Atlantis.
Don't act dumb you guys, no one can forget the land of the Kiwi bird.
You're right.

Because it doesn't exist.

m6voql6nhl721.jpg

Look. No New Zealand.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Now's the perfect time to plug /r/MapsWithoutNZ.

If you ever need a laugh at the expense of the kiwis, it does the trick. :p

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Listen yall, if you don't come into Persona thinking you're playing pure distilled anime in video-game form and some sort of narrative revolution, ya aint gonna be coming in with the right mindset.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Or what if the writer for P6 just makes it about whatever they want to make it since this issue is being overblown and the representation of LGBTQ in Persona games, while not great, isn't as horrible as people are making it out to be?

No, but my uncle is.

No, you're right. New Zealand is the base for the myth of Atlantis.

You're right.

Because it doesn't exist.

View attachment 194082

Look. No New Zealand.
Wow. I hit a nerve. Anyway, reguardless of how overblown the controversy is, You can't tell me that something like that wouldn't work as a theme for a game like Persona.

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I bet he also works at Nintendo as Miyamoto's stunt double, you liar.
You're right.

He says they're gonna add Zoey from Littlest Pet Shop because some guy asked really nicely and by that I mean they held Miyamoto at gun point and made him call up Sakurai and demand it happen.

It's why they needed a stunt double for Miyamoto. The hostage situation took months to resolve.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yeah, Katsura Hashino hasn’t exactly been respectful with such topics when he wrote Persona 2 Innocent Sin (Eikichi calls a trans man a “she”) and Persona 3’s infamous beach babe hunt or whatever (the guys find a gorgeous woman but freak out when she has an...I guess, bulge, and the game refers to her afterwards as “Beautiful Woman...?”)
The Shin Megami Tensei franchise dances around bisexual tropes so weirdly. I don't know why they can't write in sexuality without making it seem like it's weird in the setting, unless the intention is to paint the characters as misinformed in-universe. Hell, even Aigis angsts about her homosexuality toward the female MC in P3P. Given that she falls for either the male or female variants, she never once considers she's bi for the protagonist, so they churn drama out of it.

Case in point, one of the shopkeepers in Nocturne is very clearly Camp Gay as he always makes an opportunity to flirt with you, but adamantly denies being accused as such. Could be Camp Straight if you wish to interpret it that way (or Camp Bi, which would still make him technically correct). Can't be arsed to find a screenshot of it, but he says something along the lines of, "...Don't tell me... You think I'm queer, too!?" when you try to talk to him aside from buying/selling.

For all their warts, I still like Atlus' characters very much. They all have a fascinating charm to them.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wow. I hit a nerve. Anyway, reguardless of how overblown the controversy is, You can't tell me that something like that wouldn't work as a theme for a game like Persona.
It wouldn't work for a game like Persona.

If we're going the P3 route of "themes," it'd be something vague, but broad and understandable to everyone:
"death"
"truth"
"rebellion"
and the like.

Something like LGBT issues are more linear by comparison. At most it'd heavily play into a character's backstory and/or growth, but an entire game centered around that is unlikely.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
You're right.

He says they're gonna add Zoey from Littlest Pet Shop because some guy asked really nicely and by that I mean they held Miyamoto at gun point and made him call up Sakurai and demand it happen.

It's why they needed a stunt double for Miyamoto. The hostage situation took months to resolve.
oh god oh ****

Gothfluttershy won

Double K

Smash Lord
Yeah, Katsura Hashino hasn’t exactly been respectful with such topics when he wrote Persona 2 Innocent Sin (Eikichi calls a trans man a “she”) and Persona 3’s infamous beach babe hunt or whatever (the guys find a gorgeous woman but freak out when she has an...I guess, bulge, and the game refers to her afterwards as “Beautiful Woman...?”)
Hashino didn't write Innocent Sin, that was Tadashi Satomi

It's pretty ****ing bad, my dude

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It wouldn't work for a game like Persona.

If we're going the P3 route of "themes," it'd be something vague, but broad and understandable to everyone:
"death"
"truth"
"rebellion"
and the like.

Something like LGBT issues are more linear by comparison. At most it'd heavily play into a character's backstory and/or growth, but an entire game centered around that is unlikely.
I'm not asking if it's unlikley, I'm asking if its a good idea. As for the rest of you're post, please elaborate. I don't fully understand.

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
You didn't. It's that just your post came off as incredibly entitled.

Yeah, an LGBTQ theme for Persona could work well, but I don't see how they could center a game around it.

Persona 3 is about acceptance of death, both your own and those of your friends

Persona 4 is about finding and accepting your true self

Persona 5 is about overturning a complacent society and creating change

Persona 6 is about...LGBTQ people?

Mind you, I'm all for proper representation of LGBTQ within media, but making it the central focus of a large game series, especially in response to a minor controversy, comes off as incredibly forced and hamfisted.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
hell yeah i got rejected for a job i interviewed at monday

i'm gonna get off the internet for tonight guys, later :wario:

:urg:

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, back from shopping.
I know the whole Graizen thing is over, but I’d just like to make my intentions clear. .
Now, ClaTheBae ClaTheBae , I wasn’t accusing Graizen of being austistic, just pointing out that he didn’t seem completely there, and that the bullying was going to far (you were not part of that). I also apologise that I worded my post so poorly for you to misinterpret it that way, and respect your disgust; if I were insulting Graizen, then your response would have been completely normal.
Also, sorry everyone for that storm, I didn’t want that, but I did consider that it might have happened. .
I also really appreciate Graizen for understanding that I wasn’t trying to insult him, and I apologise to him for the whole thing in general.
Overall, you guys took it really well in general, and I’m sorry about all that.
Thank you for whatever. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You didn't really. It's that just your post came off as incredibly entitled.

Yeah, an LGBTQ theme for Persona would work well, but I don't see how they could center a game around it.

Persona 3 is about acceptance of death, both your's and those of your friends

Mind you, I'm all for proper representation of LGBTQ within media, but making it the central focus of a large game series, especially in response to a minor controversy, comes off as incredibly forced and hamfisted.
That's kind of reductionary. It would be about how a group of people being thrown together because of a similarity that dosn't really mean much for heir personality, and fighting for the right to be actually treated like human beings. LGBTQ people aren't this hive mind of like minded indeviduals, but we're all lumped together by the general populus no matter what our actual personalities are. THAT's a theme worth exploring IMO.

Acceptance, liberation, freedom, coming of age, growth, love

you can get about a hundred ways to get this to work by making the focus wrt sexuality/identity
Also this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Persona 5: *is about marginalised people finding a place to fit in and making those who pushed them out of society pay for their crimes*
Ya'll: "I dunno how Persona could talk about LGBT people, I simply don't"

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Acceptance, liberation, freedom, coming of age, growth, love

you can get about a hundred ways to get this to work by making the focus wrt sexuality/identity
Those are all topics that could play into LGBTQ representation, but aren't necessarily centered around LGBTQ representation. All of these themes could work perfectly well either with minimum or no LGBTQ representation. The original argument is making P6 centered around LGBTQ to compensate for the Catherine controversy, which is what I'm basing my argument off of.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm not asking if it's unlikley, I'm asking if its a good idea. As for the rest of you're post, please elaborate. I don't fully understand.
Persona themes are broad and applicable to (most) everyone's lives. It's why all the social links directly or indirectly tie into the theme in one way or another.

For example, my personal favorite of the bunch, Persona 3 and death:
Every single character in Persona 3 deals with the concept of death and how it affects them and the people around them. Siblings, parents, friends, themselves, death is an inevitable facet of life that most people can understand and will be forced to cope with, and that's what makes them relateable. Same thing with "the truth" and "rebellion."

LGBT issues aren't a Persona-esque theme in that regard. It could tie in to "truth" as people accepting themselves, or "rebellion" as someone rebels against society's standards, but alone? I can't see an entire JRPG's stories and characters focused on that.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
You didn't really. It's that just your post came off as incredibly entitled.

Yeah, an LGBTQ theme for Persona would work well, but I don't see how they could center a game around it.

Persona 3 is about acceptance of death, both your's and those of your friends

As I see it, centering a game around LGBTQ would be like focusing heavily on people of color. They both share something in common in that they are intrinsic features that serve as one of the building blocks to a character, but not so huge that they're all there is to know about a character. You can have some major LGBTQ protagonists while putting them in an interesting situation, such as confrontation of the unknown. Persona 6 could tackle themes like the terror of ambiguity, and how humanity conquers that fear.

For instance, you can have a lesbian party member star in her own chapter trying to deal with a traumatic event involving an abandoned amusement park, and those memories manifest into an eldritch location where her worst nightmares come to life. Instead of placing drama over her sexual/romantic preference, the focus boils down to her conquering her fear of the place by seeing the park for what it really is: A place that got shut down simply because it went out of business. No supernatural mumbo-jumbo whatsoever (being Persona though, Your Mind Makes It Real).

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That's kind of reductionist. It would be about how a group of people being thrown together because of a similarity that doesn't really mean much for heir personality, and fighting for the right to be actually treated like human beings. LGBTQ people aren't this hive mind of like minded individuals, but we're all lumped together by the general populous no matter what our actual personalities are. THAT's a theme worth exploring IMO.
Okay? I don't see what you're going for here, other than pushing an idea for what could be a very good indie RPG game.

It's natural that a broad label like LGBTQ is gonna include a lot of different people. I'm not arguing that.

I'm arguing that the game doesn't have to be centered around LGBTQ, and shouldn't because that's too narrow of a scope for the major theme of a Persona game.

I do find it ironic that you're saying LGBTQ people aren't defined by their identity (which is true), but then you want a game focused on LGBTQ people's identity. Seems like it could be a bit counterintuitive in practice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's really not hard to make a Persona game that centers around a group of oppressed people in a coming-of-age story that also relates to them discovering themselves but I guess people just don't want gays in their games

D

Deleted member

I'll tell you where you shouldn't go. Newark New Jersey.

****ing sucks here.
I live in a community area, so I am not used to city life.
Cities can be fun, but I prefer to go in quiet areas where we can see a lot of nature and stars.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
And that's beside the most pertinent issue...

Persona 6 aint coming for a long ass while.
We are at the beginning of the Persona 5 cycle, and judging from P4's cycle... it's going to be quite a while until anything resembling Persona 6 even gets considered.

Persona 5 R, Persona 5 S, Persona 5 M, and Persona 5 B are already in the oven.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So I decided to ask a bunch of friends and Twitter (probably overlapping) what game to start next now that i’ve gotten through Kingdom Hearts 3.

I got a lot of votes for Persona 5 and Resident Evil Origins collection.

So, i’m basically going to try juggling them. Not only does that help me change it up once in awhile, but it contrasts a shorter game with a much longer one. Resident Evil I could probably beat over the weekend if i’m being honest, but I just really wanted to start Persona 5.

Music is jammin, voice acting is great and it’s...very Japanese. But so far it’s been fun, even if i’m still in the tutorial.

Noipoi

Howdy!
And that's beside the most pertinent issue...

Persona 6 aint coming for a long *** while.
We are at the beginning of the Persona 5 cycle, and judging from P4's cycle... it's going to be quite a while until anything resembling Persona 6 even gets considered.

Persona 5 R, Persona 5 S, Persona 5 M, and Persona 5 B are already in the oven.
Don't even get me started on Persona 5 Z...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom