• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
:ultbayonetta:+:ultyoshi:= A big taxes costume.

Speaking of:ultbayonetta: she's needs a buff, she's not that great.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I believe Shovel Knight didn’t sell well in Japan and was considered a flop despite Nintendo publishing it. It’s not too specific but Yacht Club has data on their site: https://yachtclubgames.com/2018/04/two-million-copies-of-shovel-knight-sold/
To call it a flop is egregiously misrepresenting the data.

Look at the chart that excludes US sales. Japan, all things considered, sold a solid amount, being a darker blue than most other countries and being about on par with the UK and Germany. It's just that Shovel Knight is disproportionately popular in North America, not unpopular in Japan.

A lot of the folks I see saying it flopped in Japan also tend to be Shantae fans and that's immediately funny to me. Agendas, much?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's what I keep hearing and what I've been seeing.

Like she can do a whole lot of stuff but she doesn't seem to be able to kill
Well she got top 8 at the latest major which is more than I can say for a lot of other characters, so I say hold off on that a bit.

D

Deleted member

Since the topic of Hat Kid came up earlier, all I can say on that is this:

Heck peckin' yeah put her in Smash!

I wonder when AHiT's next DLC is coming out. I've recently changed my mind on Death Wish and went from hating it to liking parts of it, so I'm excited to see what DLC 2 has in store.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It flopped there indeed.
To reiterate:
To call it a flop is egregiously misrepresenting the data.

Look at the chart that excludes US sales. Japan, all things considered, sold a solid amount, being a darker blue than most other countries and being about on par with the UK and Germany. It's just that Shovel Knight is disproportionately popular in North America, not unpopular in Japan.

A lot of the folks I see saying it flopped in Japan also tend to be Shantae fans and that's immediately funny to me. Agendas, much?

D

Deleted member

The very fact that Shovel Knight is even in the game as an AT with multiple Spirits is proof enough of how impactful he is to Nintendo and gaming as a whole IMO.

D

Deleted member

My parents taught me to not preorder games, and i am doing great at the moment without doing s-

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
That's what I keep hearing and what I've been seeing.

Like she can do a whole lot of stuff but she doesn't seem to be able to kill
She doesn't deserve any buffs, period.

I will never forgive her for :4bayonetta:, and how she made the tournament scene and online play, just very boring and predictable...

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Well she got top 8 at the latest major which is more than I can say for a lot of other characters, so I say hold off on that a bit.
Word?

Oh, didn't know that! Well... my bad ya'll I'm sorry.

Also I've been hearing talk about :ultkrool: being the worst.

Since I main :ultkrool: I KNOW that's not true.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
It flopped there indeed.
It's not so much that it failed in Japan.

It's more like that compared to the U.S, it sold much less in Japan.

If you look at the region breakdown 60.9% of Shovel Knight's 2 million sales came from the U.S., which is around 1.2 million units.

Even with Japan's 3% (approx). that's about 60,000 copies, which shouldn't be taken lightly, especially for an indie game.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I found K. Rool hard to play online save for my first couple of matches with him, but to be fair almost everyone is 100x better than me with their competitive, psychic minds and all that.

The montages on Youtube make me want to play him more, but I just found it fun to try and win as King Dedede and using his crouch as a troll/taunt. Sending out a Gordo and inhaling it after it gets reflected is fun, too, especially if it hits.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

TBH the only characters I would say really need a buff this early on in the meta are Sheik, Little Mac, and Kirby. It's too early to tell for nerfs or for buffs for all the other characters.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Word?

Oh, didn't know that! Well... my bad ya'll I'm sorry.

Also I've been hearing talk about :ultkrool: being the worst.

Since I main :ultkrool: I KNOW that's not true.
He's definitely not the worst.

But he's definitely not as good as we originally thought.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My parents taught me to not preorder games, and i am doing great at the moment without doing s-

Don't get it from GameStop.

They'll cancel your preorder three days before release and give you a nonapology via email in which they address you by the wrong ****ing name.

Just saying.

D

Deleted member

The only truly awful characters so far are Little Mac, Bowser Jr., and Kirby. The combination of stronger offstage play and a more aggressive game overall, along with not having changed much at all in the transition from 4 to Ult, meant that Jr. and Mac got left behind.
Kirby hasn't been good in 20 years so I think he's just doomed to be bad forever.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Don't get it from GameStop.

They'll cancel your preorder three days before release and give you a nonapology via email in which they address you by the wrong ****ing name.

Just saying.
^He’s right. You’re better off getting it from Amazon if you have that site in your country @JDCabrera

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
It's not so much that it failed in Japan.

It's more like that compared to the U.S, it sold much less in Japan.

If you look at the region breakdown 60.9% of Shovel Knight's 2 million sales came from the U.S., which is around 1.2 million units.

Even with Japan's 3% (approx). that's about 60,000 copies, which shouldn't be taken lightly, especially for an indie game.
It's kind of odd to me how people were taking it selling a lot less in Japan than in the US to mean it was a flop there. Given that a pie graph wouldn't show if it was a flop or not in the first place, it shows what percentage of sales came from where. Beyond that whether it flopped or not entirely depends on expected sales and it's seriously doubtful they were expecting to sell the same amount of copies in Japan as it sold in a country several times larger than it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only truly awful characters so far are Little Mac, Bowser Jr., and Kirby. The combination of stronger offstage play and a more aggressive game overall, along with not having changed much at all in the transition from 4 to Ult, meant that Jr. and Mac got left behind.
Kirby hasn't been good in 20 years so I think he's just doomed to be bad forever.
I want to know whose idea it was to make it so Little Mac didn't get Jolt Haymaker back if he was hit out of it off stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom