• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Hohohoho, you are in for a real treat my friend. Immerse yourself into that game as much as you can and don’t rush it. That and Legends of Dragoon made me fail chemistry, twice.
I know next to nothing about it, so I hope no one spoils it. All I know is something about a girl dying at the end.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So before Three Houses releases, I wanna play a FE game to completion to get hyped for it. I don't have time to really commit to playing more than one, though, since I'm cutting back on videogames for the next few months for our Youtube channel.

Here are the candidates:
  • Awakening, just 'cause I really like it and can switch the parents/kids around again. Beaten it four times though.
  • Shadows of Valentia, because I've only beaten it once. Really like it though.
  • Path of Radiance because I started a new playthrough shortly before moving out in August and never actually went back to continue it.
  • Thracia 776 because that game is ****ing hard and, I dunno, give myself a challenge that makes Three Houses easy by the time I get to it.
  • Shadow Dragon because it's the best version of the original.
Thoughts, FE fans? @Opossum got any input?
Awakening is probably the most streamlined of the five and overall the easiest. Also parents/kids if you're into that.
SoV IMO is the longest game in the series due to the heavier RPG elements (you may need to grind at points). Presentation/Dungeons are a breath of fresh air.
PoR offers the most diversity in terms of objectives you can complete, but it's also among the longer games in the series by Chp #.
Thracia 766 is pretty much what you expect. Fatigue requires swapping out units, so it might help keep things fresh.
Shadow Dragon is the series at it's base level and might take the least amount of time to beat. Save points & Auto-Skip buttons help speed things up. The stupid recruitment requirements for the new units & DS online no longer existing means you can't show everything off easily.

D

Deleted member

That's just the icing on the cake...

She's a blast to use in Smash, and probably has the most fun moveset, out of the entire roster...

I understand she's controversial in Fates, itself, but Smash Bros Corrin is excellent in almost every way...
From the times I used her, I can agree on that too.

She isn't my main, but I enjoyed the times I choosed her.

D

Deleted member

You're saying this like Fire Emblem is meant to be this thickly-woven story that constantly continues where the last entry left off or something. Fates is literally a fairy tale in-universe iirc
True. The series of Fire Emblem isn't connected by the characters and settings, but rather the gameplay and themes.

Roberk

Smash Champion
So before Three Houses releases, I wanna play a FE game to completion to get hyped for it. I don't have time to really commit to playing more than one, though, since I'm cutting back on videogames for the next few months for our Youtube channel.

Here are the candidates:
  • Awakening, just 'cause I really like it and can switch the parents/kids around again. Beaten it four times though.
  • Shadows of Valentia, because I've only beaten it once. Really like it though.
  • Path of Radiance because I started a new playthrough shortly before moving out in August and never actually went back to continue it.
  • Thracia 776 because that game is ****ing hard and, I dunno, give myself a challenge that makes Three Houses easy by the time I get to it.
  • Shadow Dragon because it's the best version of the original.
Thoughts, FE fans? @Opossum got any input?
  • Awakening: Reclassing and children can make Awakening runs replayable but you've already played it 4 times.
  • Shadows of Valentia: SoV isn't all that replayable, but there is an actual post-game that ties into Awakening and Archanea lore.
  • Thracia 776: A full English translation is still being worked on for Thracia but it's about halfway done I believe. The translation will be the best there ever is, the others are a combination of terrible menus and incomplete/bad dialogue. I'd wait until that's finished.
Your best bets are Path of Radiance or Shadow Dragon. I'd say Path of Radiance will be the better experience because it's a Gamecube game versus Shadow Dragon being a DS game that's a remake of an NES game. The characters and gameplay are much more fleshed out than Shadow Dragon, the story and world of Path of Radiance/Tellius are some of the best in FE period. However, if you like Marth more than Ike and want to kill of units to get Gaiden chapters want to have a much more simple and classic FE experience, go with Shadow Dragon.

Edit: Actually, Shouzou Kaga's latest game Vestaria Saga is getting a professional English translation on Steam this year. Vestaria Saga was made by Kaga for free but they'll be charging a couple of bucks (maybe $5) for the English version since it'll be translated so I'd say that's fair. It's basically as Fire Emblem as you can get without an official trademark.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
  • Shadows of Valentia: SoV isn't all that replayable, but there is an actual post-game that ties into Awakening and Archanea lore.
Oh ****. I forgot that SoV had a season pass. I didn't buy it because it was more expensive than the game.

What the hell is in all that DLC? Is it worth buying it for a second playthrough?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of FE, I've been interested in trying out one of the games so any suggestions?

KMDP

Smash Legend
No but Fates has 3 versions, I assume Luigi's played them all, bless her.

Also I know we all love ****ting on Fates hut I REALLY hope they keep the personal skills everyone had, it's such a great idea helps make every unit feel more unique
Fates definitely did some things right, much to the haters' chagrin.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Nah it tends to be connected by characters and settings too. SoV is pretty good proof of this for spoiler reasons.
They like to make links and references to stress that everything (except Fates) is happening in the same world, but you rarely have games that litterally continue the same story (for more than a second game)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't actually think the issue with Corrin was the character themself. Sure they were boring and cliche but as blank slate protagonist that's a little forgivable.

The issue comes from how incredibly overbearing the player-pandering was. They made the entire freaking world revolve around them. It's supposed to be about a war but none of the characters in the world seem to care because they're all far more concerned about what happens to Corrin and it hijacks the story for the worst. One of the best part about FE stories is the tactics, worldbuilding and politics involved and that's all thrown away for forced, overdone and cliche drama.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I watched the first episode of Hilda, and I have to say, I enjoyed it!
It gives me a Terraria / Gravity Falls / Adventure Time feel.
There are no characters I dislike so far, which is a good start.
That rock troll scene makes me think one thing, is the troll going to be an important part of the series?
I know how it feels to not want to move in a city. I would never want to move to New York, honestly. I hate pollution.
I love the hidden people! Their conflict is so enjoyable!
I really like the fox dog thing.
Thank you Netflix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't actually think the issue with Corrin was the character themselves. Sure they were boring and cliche but as blank slate protagonist that's a little forgivable.

The issue comes from how incredibly overbearing the player-pandering was. They made the entire freaking world revolve around them. It's supposed to be about a war but none of the characters in the world seem to care because they're all far more concerned about what happens to Corrin and it hijacks the story for the worst. One of the best part about FE stories is the tactics, worldbuilding and politics involved and that's all thrown away for forced, overdone and cliche drama.
Corrin is overtly privileged and the game wants to make you feel like Corrin is the underdog. It's funny.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't actually think the issue with Corrin was the character themselves. Sure they were boring and cliche but as blank slate protagonist that's a little forgivable.

...Fire Emblem Fates was an Isekai anime in disguise all along... I can't ****ing believe it

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Fates definitely did some things right, much to the haters' chagrin.
It did, but I think the haters' assertion that none of those things done right came together in a full experience.

I will absolutely say without any hesitation that Fates, on the whole, is the worst FE game. I will not say however that it's irredeemable garbage. There are things I liked. There are a hell of a lot of worse games out there.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Speaking of FE, I've been interested in trying out one of the games so any suggestions?
It depends.

The best games to start with are:

Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade (called just "Fire Emblem" in the west) - Comes with a built-in 10 Chapter Tutorial (unskippable on first-time playthroughs).
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Has a world map with "Skirmishes" (non-Chapter battles), which allow for grinding.
Fire Emblem: Awakening - Same as Sacred Stones, it's deliberately designed to be newcomer friendly. You can also turn off Perma-Death in this game.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Oooohh, tricky question. Your view of the games depends heavily on where you enter the series.

As a starter, Binding Blade, Sword of Flames, Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon are good ways of getting introduced to Fire Emblem.
Awakening is the best of you want to get into modern Fire Emblem.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oh ****. I forgot that SoV had a season pass. I didn't buy it because it was more expensive than the game.

What the hell is in all that DLC? Is it worth buying it for a second playthrough?
There are a few backstory chapters but most it is for obtaining items to class up units to an exclusive 3rd Tier Class.

It's up to you, though it may be worth it if you want to attempt to beat the post-game Dungeon without an annoying amount of planning ahead with Pitchfork items & extra grinding.

D

Deleted member

Oooohh, tricky question. Your view of the games depends heavily on where you enter the series.

As a starter, Binding Blade, Sword of Flames, Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon are good ways of getting introduced to Fire Emblem.
Awakening is the best of you want to get into modern Fire Emblem.
Fates is the best if you want a rubbish protagonist.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Yeah, although I personally didn't play through all of Fates (I suck at strategy games), I could tell that the story reminded me of some Isekai anime.

And as someone who somewhat enjoys those anime, I'm not sure I wanted it here.

Also, hi everyone.

D

Deleted member

I watched the first episode of Hilda, and I have to say, I enjoyed it!
It gives me a Terraria / Gravity Falls / Adventure Time feel.
There are no characters I dislike so far, which is a good start.
That rock troll scene makes me think one thing, is the troll going to be an important part of the series?
I know how it feels to not want to move in a city. I would never want to move to New York, honestly. I hate pollution.
I love the hidden people! Their conflict is so enjoyable!
I really like the fox dog thing.
Thank you Netflix.
Oh, mandatory @Shishœ tag.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

^ ^ ^ This.

I remember on my first playthrough of Conquest I stopped playing at one point and texted my brother because I needed to share with someone the stupidity of "I'm a leader of men with lots of battle experience and Corrin's a child we kidnapped and held in a tower her entire life but now that I've joined her cause I think I should just let her make all the decisions".

Like, Corrin can be the player avatar and the central focus of the story without being the only focus of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom