• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
8:42 PM - President Magikarp: See what I meant about Phoenix against Wolverine when she spaces?
8:42 PM - BurtonIndie: yeah
8:42 PM - BurtonIndie: then again i see that when I'm playing anyone
8:43 PM - BurtonIndie: between the traps and fireballs and teleports I just don't know what to do lol
8:43 PM - President Magikarp: PICK HER UP, THAT'S WHAT
8:43 PM - BurtonIndie: !
8:43 PM - BurtonIndie: You drive a hard bargain

One by one, they come over to the dark side...

Smashjin just moved to Barnstable. We might do some local casuals on Friday and I'll tape 'em and ****.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
It just so happens characters I like have both of those. :awesome:

No but seriously, pretty much everyone has away to beat Phoenix that isn't, y'know, Hsien Ko.
Hsien-Ko is actually one of the few characters in the game that can go even with Dark Phoenix if she has level 3 X-Factor and her hyper armor super at her disposal.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
agreed. i have been using x-23/hsien ko since day 1. both underused characters but they work pretty ridiculously well together.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm starting to have serious doubts on the credibility of people here now...
You guys are factoring luck on saying that the Dark Phoenix matchup isn't all that bad as it is.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I hope you didn't say that towards me because I was joking.
Nah, not you. But it's just so difficult for Hsien-Ko to get in that random hit against a good Phoenix.
Even with level 3 XF and hyper armor, those 8 seconds of armor isn't really enough time to get in.

Edit: Smooth, I agree lol. Dorm really does have solid options against her.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Hsien-Ko is actually one of the few characters in the game that can go even with Dark Phoenix if she has level 3 X-Factor and her hyper armor super at her disposal.
What? Even with X-factor lvl 3 and 5 bars of super Hsien Ko will get ****ed up every time. She has no tools to catch DP. Maybe brain dead players might get fooled by the super armor but anyone else will run away until X-factor wears off and just chip her to death if you keep using super armor.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Been watching the iPlayWinner "Ultimate Norcal vs. Capcom" stream...

Heh, heh. X-Factor's length varies by character now, specifically in level 2 and level 3. Straight from S-Kill himself.

Oh, geez. =/

Smooth Criminal

_Dice

Smash Ace
What? Even with X-factor lvl 3 and 5 bars of super Hsien Ko will get ****ed up every time. She has no tools to catch DP. Maybe brain dead players might get fooled by the super armor but anyone else will run away until X-factor wears off and just chip her to death if you keep using super armor.
DP is always fighting a race against time. IF dark pheonix wants to run out her own X factor and drain her own life down to 1 then it's still a win for hsien ko. since after all you just have to have 1 bar left by the time it gets to that point and the game is a free win.

but seriously having gold armor right before last hit to kill pheonix to send her into DP and then go kill her ignoring the uncontrollable explosion is free as well.

seriously though hsien ko forces pheonix to try to die far away out of a combo (and preferably in the air) and then if pheonix succeeds hsien ko can X factor and scare the crap out of pheonix with gold armor and if DP tries to run until it's safe again Hsien ko just waits her out and does some fun stuff like laughing when DPs X factor runs out and her health begins to drain to 0. and then when the health is at minimum hsien ko gold armors and starts throwing stuff and throwing out big hitboxes and a single bit of chip damage ends the game.

pheonix beats hsien ko.

hsien ko beats DP pretty badly if played right.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

Lmaooooooooooooooo.

Wesker gets a speed and a power boost depending on how busted his shades are. More or less this damage to his shades occurs over time as he takes damage.

Shattered glasses: 105% damage and 110% speed boost.

Glasses completely off: 110% damage and 115% speed boost.

If Wesker does a hyper combo or a taunt (iirc), his :shades: status resets.

Smooth Criminal

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
honzo is dumb for not wanting to snap

and zoning vs a phoenix team is bad in general.

phoenix is clearly nerfed imo

cutter

Smash Champion
So I came out of my hibernation while waiting for the Rocket Raccoon reveal to drop not to talk about Phoenix, but to talk about Vergil.

Okay so normally I don't complain about a whole lot of things in general, especially in a super random game like MvC3 where BS happens all the time. But after looking at Vanilla MvC3 from a fundamental perspective (as well as last night's UMvC3 stream) and then looking at Vergil, I know this guy is going to piss me off to no end.

First off, the normals. Dante and Zero have the best normals in Vanilla because they are disjointed hitboxes. Coming from a Smash background, we should already recognize the strength of disjointed hitboxes to begin with. You can't interact with those kinds of hitboxes (such is the case with MK in Brawl because his attacks are unclankable), and they outprioritize pretty much 90% of other attacks in the game.

Vergil is going to be no different. Have you guys seen his st.H? It covers even more vertical range than Dante's st.H for anti-air purposes, and it still has the same half-screen reach. Vergil's cr.L and st.S also look to be salt-inducing normals, because they keep reminding me of Zero's cr.M and Dante's st.L/st.H... which too also have BS hitboxes, range, and priority.

Second, the ability to self-OTG. This is a tool that is invaluable to have in an OTG-heavy game like MvC3. Ask Wesker, Doom, or C. Viper. Hell even MODOK and Felicia get a boost in viability because their cr.M/Toy Touch respectively give both characters self-OTG and extend combos. Vergil's High Time already lets Vergil easily combo into his Maximum Vergil for an easy ABC bread and butter leading to easy DHC opportunities as well (Maximum Vergil causes HARD KNOCKDOWN!). This isn't even getting into getting full combos off air throws (which Vergil can do with wavedash -> OTG High Time -> BnB) or using the OTG High Time to go into reset city like Wesker does.

Third, the teleports. I won't rant about this too much because teleports are self-explanatory. Pretty much every character in MvC3 that has a teleport doesn't suck at all. And yes, that includes Dormammu. Vergil's teleports aren't in the same league as Strange when it comes to speed and effectiveness, but they'll still get the job done in what they do. That's mainly what matters.

Fourth, the fact that Vergil has low health. Let's be honest, health doesn't matter that much in Marvel. Everyone is going to be dealing a ton of damage off simple BnBs regardless of your actual damage output. While it's true that Capcom is tightening hitstun decay along with nerfing meter gain, the basic fundamentals of the game are still intact -- open someone up, deal a ton of damage. That's why health is a much bigger factor in other fighting games where hits matter a lot more due to the reduced combo capabilities.

I haven't even touched his Spiral swords super, Rapid Slash, and Devil Trigger shenanigans. To me, I won't care that much that Vergil is already going to be played heavily to begin with. That was a given from the start. It's more that Vergil's fundamentals are so ridiculously good that it pisses me off to see someone like him in the game while we still have Hsien "I still can't cancel out of pendulums like I did in VS" Ko continuing to languish. And when Seth Killian said that Vergil is basically a Dante/Wesker hybrid, you know Vergil is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

I warned you guys about Wesker before Vanilla, and look how that turned out. I'm going to say it right now, I will be absolutely shocked if Vergil is not a top 5 character. There is no way a character with as many tools, strengths, and options that he does can't be lower than high tier.

Alright, now back into hiding until Rocket Raccoon starts shooting people. :)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yes, he does look like a top 5 character

but i think you're getting too worried

his teleports look relatively slow compared to other characters' teleports actually. and they all seem to be grounded teleports. even the air teleport looks like it always goes down.

with the high strength of zoning in this game i think he makes a good candidate for rush down teams. you can't forget that zoning was heavily strengthened in this game to be viable. honzogonzo's team (hawk/task/doom) was getting OFF last night.

as for the swords super, it looks good. but it seems like the damage scales really hard. i like that that super and devil trigger give him very different options to use his meter.

to me, he just looks very very tricky, but not necessarily a high damage character. i know he will be good, but i'm not gonna get too hyped just yet.

anyway, i think all the new characters are looking really good. Nemesis' S is freaking amazing LOL. i definitely wanna see hulk/nemesis/sentinel teams LOLOLOL.

reserk

Smash Cadet
i need impressions from you guys about iron man, spider man, amaterasu, and dante in umvc3. im hoping nova will be a versatile character in umvc3.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
the game programming is there, you just gotta unlock it!

ironman could be the best. high execution and accessibility shouldn't be the limit! a devoted fan will unlock him i'm sure of it

viper players got this.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
So, Smashjin lives around 30 miles away from me, and our lag online is horribad. Here's hoping we'll be able to have that fight night this Friday. :urg:

EDIT: Hilarious thing, the AI is actually snapping out my Phoenix now.

cutter

Smash Champion
yes, he does look like a top 5 character

but i think you're getting too worried

his teleports look relatively slow compared to other characters' teleports actually. and they all seem to be grounded teleports. even the air teleport looks like it always goes down.

with the high strength of zoning in this game i think he makes a good candidate for rush down teams. you can't forget that zoning was heavily strengthened in this game to be viable. honzogonzo's team (hawk/task/doom) was getting OFF last night.

as for the swords super, it looks good. but it seems like the damage scales really hard. i like that that super and devil trigger give him very different options to use his meter.

to me, he just looks very very tricky, but not necessarily a high damage character. i know he will be good, but i'm not gonna get too hyped just yet.

anyway, i think all the new characters are looking really good. Nemesis' S is freaking amazing LOL. i definitely wanna see hulk/nemesis/sentinel teams LOLOLOL.
You definitely do bring up some good points. Honzogonzo actually posted on SRK pretty recently that he thinks Vergil is going to be a godly day 1 character but will get worse as the game goes on and more strategies are discovered. Obviously that remains to be seen, but I'm still willing to bet Vergil won't drop that much even months later after release date.

And holy ****, Meta Knight actually got banned?! For real this time? I know it's off-topic as hell, but shows how much I've been out of the loop.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah the metaknight ban is so dumb -_- LOL

in japan, metaknight doesnt even dominate like he does here

Top Bottom