• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So this is probably old as hell by now but I got featured in one of Maximillian's videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-4573XjkE

Guy at the 9:25 mark, although I go by the name Perfection 117 on XBL. Gimme a message if you ever want to spar.
I was on Episode 7 of his series and I haven't been able to get into another match with him since, and I'm the same rank as he is.

I've gotta find what times he's playing that game lol

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
depending on what assist, i'd say it's still a good idea to air grab him? idk it seems like it'd be easy to tech throw that. but then at least you're in his face
It's a lot harder then you would first think because his grapple acts as an active hit box the whole time. If you try to fall back and meet him with the air grab you eat the hook. If you try and run forward you run into whatever assist he has if he's a competant player. The best option honestly is to just see it SJ out to avoid that nonsense in general and just reposition.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Depending on what character I have on point is what I do against spencer's air grapple + assist.

Chris: Standing shotgun, usually the tip of the shot will get him, but it hasn't been too useful.
Frank: Superjump to Knee Drop. This works alot for me and I can follow it up.
Ammy: Okami Shuffle
Rocky: Tunnel Rat H, wait for the assist to finish and then crossup.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Alternatively, you can teleport. That sort of screws up Spencer's approach game, especially if the teleport isn't relative to enemy position, such as Skrull's/Deadpool's. On the subject of Skrull, it's roughly a 70/30 in Skrull's favor since Skrull can grab Spencer out of the air with Heavy Elastic Slam. And since Spencer has no realistic approach outside of short-hop ziplining, it's very bad. He can have a projectile assist protecting him but then you've got an air dash that puts you above Spencer and an aerial command normal that causes ground bounce on hit. And if you're really screw, you can Meteor Smash away.

Haggar has the ground pipe, which causes ground bounce on airborne opponents. You can naturally cancel it into light Hoodlum Launcher before he hits the ground or even just the standing S launcher.

MODOK causes some problems for Spencer as well, although his large hurtbox sort of makes it difficult. You can spam Medium Analyze Cube to block off aerial approaches and be a troll in general and if you have any Levels of Understanding, enhanced Barrier completely screws up Spencer's approach outside of Bionic Lancing through it.

L__

Smash Master
does anyone here know anything about jill?

i've seen like one video of her or something and she looked kinda fun

smashbot226

Smash Master
does anyone here know anything about jill?

i've seen like one video of her or something and she looked kinda fun
I don't use her too often but what I do know:

1. Her Machine Gun Spray super is invincible at the start, letting you get out of bad corner situations and possibly cancel out other supers.

2. Her Somersault assist is amazing to crossover counter into, as it's entirely invincible and jump cancelable.

3. Doesn't exactly need meter to deal damage, although her damage output isn't as good without it. Even then it's rather low.

4. Very high learning curve, as her aerial approach options are next to none and she's very technical, arguably moreso than C. Viper.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I'm gonna have to cheat on Richard Rider with Doom. Spiderman (a)/ Doom (b)/ Ammy (b)

@Brightside, I have like 3 different web throw combos but I only use one with Doom missiles cause it's easy to do under lag. Very rarely in our online matches did you finish your web throw combos.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Those reasons made me really want to play her

The 4th being the most alluring
Do it. Jill is probably the least player character outside of Hsien Ko and Tron.

I'm gonna have to cheat on Richard Rider with Doom. Spiderman (a)/ Doom (b)/ Ammy (b)

@Brightside, I have like 3 different web throw combos but I only use one with Doom missiles cause it's easy to do under lag. Very rarely in our online matches did you finish your web throw combos.
Another one falls to the Foot Dive. Don't worry, Skrull will take care of you. :reverse:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
what should be done to punish a foot dive on block that isn't air dash canceled? he lags for quite a while after, right?

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
If they don't airdash after a blocked footdive they bad w/ Doom like me. I blame it on cold hands...

I like how people look at my record (~1300W - 500L) then message "don't quit" (cause I would quit a lot of games. I'VE CUT DOWN ON IT THOUGH). Then I win and they quit on me.

HA! What a joke. JD797 and tadpolejones. Message them on PSN if you want free wins.

smashbot226

Smash Master
my main point character is x-23
Hmm. While I don't really play as her, I do recall how freakin' far her command dashes go. Perhaps you can have an invincible assist or one that strikes out people in the air so you can dash right under him, then regular dash to catch him. I know I said I don't play X-23 that often, but I do know you can call assists during the priming phase of the dash.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
You don't know **** about perfects until you get one with Akuma on point.

Also I don't know if you guys have ever seen/done this.

But if you DHC at the last possible second before beating your opponent, the character comes in and it skips all the stuff at the end.

Then it goes straight to the victory screen before the announcer even says "Player x wins"

Brightside6382

Smash Lord

If you know them do them. No point in dumbing down your overall game just because its online.

But anyways... My 3 week expedition with online marvel has been pretty fun! My interest has be waning lately though. Every ranked matches now is just randoms who don't know how to use Vergil/Dante/XXX. Does the competition get better or is this pretty much the plateau of online? I'm currently a 3rd Lord and the thought of trying to rank up playing against these people is a terribly boring prospect.

TL?

Smash Ace
Wow third lord, that's patience. I got tired of Vergil/Dante/Wesker at 7th lord. I don't really like online anyways, it really is a completely different game due to the lag.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I've been to like, only three Marvel tournaments since it came out last year. I want to go to more, but I just can't seem to find one when i'm available.

I live close enough to that 8 on the break place, but its only on tuesdays and I'm at college -_-

So I spend a **** load of time on online instead, as thats my only way of improving. Sitting at 3rd lord also atm.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
I play high too often to possibly rank up.

Also because everyone uses Vergil/Dante/Wesker or Hawkeye.
They all don't know how to use Vergil/Dante though. Just sit crouching full screen and 99% of them are compelled to try and teleport with Vergil without an assist. For the Dante's just walk them to the corner and as they keep hitting S and hammers in panics just chicken block and punish. Those people are a joke.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
dark wesker isn't a problem once you block, seriously

block his string once, x-factor, you win :)

hawkeye online gives me nightmares *shutters*

okay, as much as i hate zero, i think viper might be even cheaper, seriously, ex-seismo is the most broken **** in this game, why can she cancel everything into that move?
i have so much joy in watching marlinpie wreck **** with her

wait, did marlinpie have some ammy swag at curlehmustache? i think so

AND 2 FEMALE COMMENTATORS?!? WTF IS GOING ON?!?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i'm a new skrull user, but i haven't played the game in a while so...

i also haven't really gotten to use firebrand/skrull against hawkeye yet so..

smashbot226

Smash Master
i'm a new skrull user, but i haven't played the game in a while so...

i also haven't really gotten to use firebrand/skrull against hawkeye yet so..
Skrull has Meteor Smash. On its own it obviously isn't safe but if you cover it with a projectile assist- I use Taskmaster's Horizontal Arrows, for example- it makes for a great pressure tool. And to my knowledge, Firebrand can weave around Hawkeye's projectiles rather easily if you superjump cancel into his command air dashes. Really though, Hawkeye is only stupid when he has Level 3 X-Factor or you have no good assists covering you. Haggar-Hawkeye match up is almost as bad as Haggar-Dormammu and I still manage to get the mayor in that cocky archer's face.

smashbot226

Smash Master
firebrand/skrull/sentinel

pretty sure i got the assist covered
Hawkeye no-lube ***** Sentinel and I'm curious as to which assist you go with for Skrull. Assuming you're using Drones, it shouldn't be too difficult to get in Hawkeye's face.

Back on Skrull, in vanilla, Orbital Grudge was great due to soft knockdown and armor. Since Orbital Grudge lost the soft knockdown, nowadays I defer to Stone Smite. Tenderizer is just too rough on the damage/hitstun scaling and leaves him out in the open for too long.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
tenderizer for the lockdown lulz, snap back opponent, call tenderizer, unblockable set-up, free combo

Top Bottom