• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
1. Dixie Kong + Donkey Kong Country: K. Rool's Return
2. Ashley + Wario Fame & Watch
3. Rhythm Girl + Rhythm Heaven Jukebox

Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom Now that we are moving on from E3 content will spirit submissions open up again? If not, what will be the new system going forward?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Mechanical Change: Tough Guys
You know how Bowser has that mechanic where at low percent, he can power through weak-ish attacks, and at higher percents he can power through weaker multi-hits? This is that, basically, but for all superheavies. (Basically, Bowser, K. Rool, DK, Dedede, Ganondorf, Incineroar, and whoever we decide to add as a superheavy). This gives the big fellas a competitive edge, as in Ultimate, all except Bowser were low-mid or low tier. This little change could give them the push they need to be viable.
(Note: this does not count Bowser's damage-based heavy armor on his smashes and tilts. Those will remain as a part of his character exclusive to him).

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
1. Dixie Kong + Donkey Kong Country: K. Rool's Return
2. Ashley + Wario Fame & Watch
3. Rhythm Girl + Rhythm Heaven Jukebox

Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom Now that we are moving on from E3 content will spirit submissions open up again? If not, what will be the new system going forward?
Yes, Spirits will open up shortly. I just had to take a breather as I update the OP with them as much as I can. You can expect them to open with a day or two.

Paraster

Smash Lord
For Game Improvements, what category (if any) would "improve Spirit Inventory by adding trophy-esque descriptions and easy references to a Spirit's stats" count as?

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
For Game Improvements, what category (if any) would "improve Spirit Inventory by adding trophy-esque descriptions and easy references to a Spirit's stats" count as?
That’s actually best served for another time as I intend for us to cover that within the next few weeks. Though to be honest, probably game modes. My intention was to ask if people wants to try tackling Spirit descriptions but that’s like...a pretty tall order lol

Paraster

Smash Lord
That’s actually best served for another time as I intend for us to cover that within the next few weeks. Though to be honest, probably game modes. My intention was to ask if people wants to try tackling Spirit descriptions but that’s like...a pretty tall order lol
For what it's worth, I think it might be a decent idea for us to compromise by only writing descriptions for brand-new Spirits and use this website for Ultimate spirits (if only as placeholders; we could go back and write our own for them later).

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Mechanical Improvements
  • Blast Barriers: This mechanic from King of Fighters Stadium was enough of a hit that I think we should put it on every walkoff stage. Blast Barriers are placed whereever you can simply walk offscreen. They'll even appear midmatch if the stage layout changes. While Blast Barriers are normally invisible, they'll flash at the start of the match and whenever a new one appears. Of course, you can turn them off in the options. KOF Stadium would be made a little less special with this being a universal thing, but overall I think this would improve gameplay on those stages.
  • Backward Ledge Attacks: Pressing A on a ledge will perform a forward ledge attack, where your character will attack while getting up onto the stage. That's the same as always. However, pressing B on a ledge will perform a backward ledge attack, where your character performs an attack aimed downward and backward at opponents trying to recover toward the same ledge. BLAs spike. You can't be ledge trumped while performing a BLA, but you lose your ledge invincibility when you do it. This makes it significantly easier to force your opponents to recover high, without feeling completely passive like edgehogging.
Game Mode Improvements
  • Fighting Polygon Team: These old buddies are purple, low-poly recreations of each fighter in the game. They use the exact same moves and animations as the fighter on which they're based. You fight them in Multi-Man Smash.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Mechanical Improvements
  • Blast Barriers: This mechanic from King of Fighters Stadium was enough of a hit that I think we should put it on every walkoff stage. Blast Barriers are placed whereever you can simply walk offscreen. They'll even appear midmatch if the stage layout changes. While Blast Barriers are normally invisible, they'll flash at the start of the match and whenever a new one appears. Of course, you can turn them off in the options. KOF Stadium would be made a little less special with this being a universal thing, but overall I think this would improve gameplay on those stages.
  • Backward Ledge Attacks: Pressing A on a ledge will perform a forward ledge attack, where your character will attack while getting up onto the stage. That's the same as always. However, pressing B on a ledge will perform a backward ledge attack, where your character performs an attack aimed downward and backward at opponents trying to recover toward the same ledge. BLAs spike. You can't be ledge trumped while performing a BLA, but you lose your ledge invincibility when you do it. This makes it significantly easier to force your opponents to recover high, without feeling completely passive like edgehogging.
Game Mode Improvements
  • Fighting Polygon Team: These old buddies are purple, low-poly recreations of each fighter in the game. They use the exact same moves and animations as the fighter on which they're based. You fight them in Multi-Man Smash.
Please just submit one Mechanical Improvement.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Yes, Spirits will open up shortly. I just had to take a breather as I update the OP with them as much as I can. You can expect them to open with a day or two.
Awesome, don't feel rushed if you still need time to catch up though, I was just asking because I had some ideas for 3D world spirits since that comes out on Friday, and wanted to check that we weren't changing the way spirits would be submitted that would cause them to be disqualified for some reason if I made them now.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Mechanical Improvement - Split Final Smashes
Final Smashes have been divided into Super Smashes and Final Smashes. Super Smashes retain the standard function, being powerful attacks that are obtained by breaking a Smash Ball or filling up the meter. However, they are a bit toned-down, having less range and damage than the old Final Smashes. They're closer to the Supers of more traditional fighting games, to allow for them being used more often. Final Smashes retain the name, but are closer to Ultimates, being extra-powerful, extra-flashy attacks, with most (Or all) of them being cinematics. These require three Smash Balls/filled meters to use, being represented by a three-tiered counter on the fighter's HUD. To allow for this, Final Smashes now have a separate button. Notably, the flashing lights and monochrome background of the old Final Smashes only occur with the new ones.

Graphical Improvement - Unique Shading
The aesthetic of Infinite is shifted towards a slightly more exaggerated, cartoony style, at least proportions-wise. This is emphasized by the cel-shading, which varies between fighters. Goofier characters are more cartoony, darker characters look like they're framed in shadow, etc. This also applies to the stages, really emphasizing the crossover aspect.
EDIT: The cel-shading would generally feel like somewhere between a comic book and a detailed sprite, like Spider-Verse and Guilty Gear, respectively. As Venus suggested below, you could also toggle between the styles of past games, or even have different styles made specifically for Infinitie (Cartoony, comic book, shadowy, etc.)

Granted, these would be some pretty big shakeups. If you aren't fine with these submissions and don't put them up for consideration, I understand.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Mechanical Improvement: Special Canceling
This new mechanic allows characters to cancel out of a neutral attack into a Special. This is originally unique to the Shoto Brothers (Ryu, Ken, and Terry) but has been expanded into the entire cast. Each character has several particular moves that allows players to cancel out of the start-up animation frames into one of the Specials. If this wins the voting period, then we can decide which attacks allow the player to cancel into Specials.

Graphical Improvement: Temperament
Charqcters have varied facial expressions based on the current flow of combat. The most neutral is when the play field is leveled. Players who are currently in the lead appear more happy and responsive and having a substantial lead is nigh estatic. On the other hand, lagging behind results in frowns and pouts and falling extremely far being becomes despondent and gloomy.

Game Mode Improvement: My Music Download
Download your favorite track to your console.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Mechanical Improvement - Split Final Smashes
Final Smashes have been divided into Super Smashes and Final Smashes. Super Smashes retain the standard function, being powerful attacks that are obtained by breaking a Smash Ball or filling up the meter. However, they are a bit toned-down, having less range and damage than the old Final Smashes. They're closer to the Supers of more traditional fighting games, to allow for them being used more often. Final Smashes retain the name, but are closer to Ultimates, being extra-powerful, extra-flashy attacks, with most (Or all) of them being cinematics. These require three Smash Balls/filled meters to use, being represented by a three-tiered counter on the fighter's HUD. To allow for this, Final Smashes now have a separate button. Notably, the flashing lights and monochrome background of the old Final Smashes only occur with the new ones.

Graphical Improvement - Unique Shading
The aesthetic of Infinite is shifted towards a slightly more exaggerated, cartoony style, at least proportions-wise. This is emphasized by the cel-shading, which varies between fighters. Goofier characters are more cartoony, darker characters look like they're framed in shadow, etc. This also applies to the stages, really emphasizing the crossover aspect.

Granted, these would be some pretty big shakeups. If you aren't fine with these submissions and don't put them up for consideration, I understand.
That’s a bit of change; especially since we will have to look at the entire Ultimate roster to add entirely new Super Smashes as well as Final Smashes if I am hearing you correctly.

As for the Graphical Improvement, I have an idea for that if that gets voted on but perhaps....

...you can toggle between different types of appearances? Brawl-style, Smash 4-style, Ultimate-style, and Infinite-style. By the cell shaded aspect though, do you have an example on what you mean from any form of gaming media so people voting know what they will be voting for when choosing this?

to the thread,

Voting for our next character concludes in six hours.

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Mechanical Improvement: Wavedash
We Melee Boys
Would be slightly less effective and centralizing than in Melee, but would allow for a higher skill Ceiling and more movement options.

Graphical Improvement: Roster Styles (Not sure this is the right kind of change)
The Character Select Screen can be modified to be in the styles of all the previous smash games. The character art on the selection boxes would be the same, but the boxes, player boxes, player gloves, and back button and press start would be in the style of previous games (and all other elements of the CSS). Styles are Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, 4, Ultimate, and Infinite. Styles cannot be mixed.

Game Mode Improvement: All Star Mode (This mode wasn't listed but it is a current mode, just don't count it if it doesn't qualify)
Pretty simple change, but Alph, Eight, Solo, Erdrick, and Alex would be added to the line up slotted where their game's release would be. Or update in the case of Alex. I would include the Koopalings, Zombie, and Enderman but they only have one skin so if you play as that character then it would mess it up. Leaf Isn't actually playable so she wouldn't be here either. The main reason for me submitting this is that right now in all star mode the Luminary appears in the time slot for DQIII's release date, which is honestly one of my biggest pet peeves in all of Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I have updated my submissions for this job again after realising I didn’t read the prompt correctly. Ring mode has been removed and My Music playlists is now a game mode enhancement. Enhanced dodging stays.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright, time to vote for our next fighter. There's simply too many good choices, way to make even the obligatory promotional character cool. Since I like to keep my votes varied, I'll pick one older character, one modern character, and one from the wacky 2000s. Here are my picks:

Dixie Kong. I submitted her in the past so of course I'd like to see her in, especially given that this is a unique slot. Also, how cool would it be to come up with a new DKC game? "K. Rool's Return"? Sign me right up!

Ashley. This one's pretty self-explanatory. If self-voting isn't allowed, then count this as a vote for Krystal.

Ring Fit Trainee. With the recent news that RFA sold over 9 million copies(!), it's honestly the most realistic sequel that could happen. Ring Fit Adventure is a delightful game that I'm currently working my way through, I've a soft spot for it and I'd love to see it in Smash. With all the cool modern games this vote was the hardest to decide, but since I haven't played Xenoblade 2 and have yet to start Astral Chain, Ring Fit is the only sequel I could help out with.
Like I said, we should just get it out of the way. We all know there's gonna be a new FE rep in this game. Heck, I bet these time-traveling messages from Nintendo will SPECIFICALLY tell us to add an FE rep at some point.
Nothing screams "Fire Emblem" more than an apocalyptic message from the future am I right?

D

Deleted member

Game Mode Improvement: My Music Download
Download your favorite track to your console
can you elaborate on what this means? The music in Smash is all stored within the game, is there would be no need to download any of it. Or are you saying the theoretical console this is on has a music player, and you can play it on that? Or can I take download the file for the music and then store it on other devices? Does this mean there’s now a system in game that can convert the music to MP3 (or FLAC, not that it’s really necessary with the abysmal bitrate of the music in Ultimate). Speaking of bitrate, does this actually mean I can download the song to my Switch so it plays back in the game in an actually decent quality? Or does this actually mean upload and I can put my own music in the game to listen to?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
can you elaborate on what this means? The music in Smash is all stored within the game, is there would be no need to download any of it. Or are you saying the theoretical console this is on has a music player, and you can play it on that? Or can I take download the file for the music and then store it on other devices? Does this mean there’s now a system in game that can convert the music to MP3 (or FLAC, not that it’s really necessary with the abysmal bitrate of the music in Ultimate). Speaking of bitrate, does this actually mean I can download the song to my Switch so it plays back in the game in an actually decent quality? Or does this actually mean upload and I can put my own music in the game to listen to?
Basically you can download any song from the game and store in on the console’s hard drive. Considering that Nintendo will probably want to continue the console/handheld hybrid, people will be able to listen to this song by downloading it without having to open Smaeh up. Just go to the console’s music player.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The results are in and we have our next fighter for Super Smash Bros. Infinite! The voting this time around was mostly centered on a few fighters with several submission sadly not getting any votes. Makes me wish I increased the voting cap to 4. All of the submissions were excellent and I felt really brought a lot of potential to the table. That being said, we do have to honor the votes - even if we disagree with the outcome. Our newest charqcter is!

Akira Howard and Astral Chain Sigma: Blue Chain Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom 4

Dragapult and Pokémon: Deluxe Sword and Deluxe Shield @BowserKing 2

Funky Kong and Donkey Kong Country: K. Rool’s Revenge Janx_uwu Janx_uwu 2

Edelgard and Fire Emblem: Three Crowns Perkilator Perkilator 4

Alph and Pikmin 4 @Otoad64 0

Giovanni and Pokémon Let’s Go: Team Rocket Strikes Back @evanwoo10 2

Rex and Xenoblade Warriors @chocolatejr9 2

Lyndis and Fire Emblem Echoes: Ashes of Elibe SharkLord SharkLord 9

Impa and The Legend of Zelda: Rise of Champions @The Fantasy Smasher 0

Rhythm Girl and Rhythm Heaven Jukebox ahemtoday ahemtoday 4

Dixie Kong and Donkey Kong Country: K. Rool’s Return Krookodilian Krookodilian 8

Ring Fit Trainer and Ring Fit Adventure Plus @Mushroomguy12 4

Tsubasa Orime and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #SMT cashregister9 cashregister9 3

Slippy Toad and Star Fox Heroes @AlphaSSB 0

Tingle and Tingle Warriors Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 5

Spring Man and ARMS 2 @PeridotGX 4

Ashley and Fame & Wario (and Wario: Master of Disguise 2) GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 11

Tiki and Fire Emblem (not working title yet) Commander_Alph Commander_Alph 0

Toxtricity and Pokémon Sword 2 and Pokémon Shield 2 SmasherMaster SmasherMaster 3

Ashley will finally be making the massive leap from Assist Trophy to fully playable fighter and will be the second representative for the WarioWare, Inc. series! She was neck and neck with fellow Assist Trophy Lyn for a long time but quickly pulled ahead near the end of the voting period. Perhaps it was due to her magical abilities?

Job #47: Submit a Gameplay/Moveset Proposal - Fame & Wario and Wario: Master of Disguise 2 Information

As per usual, we will begin the process of submit a gameplay and moveset proposal as well as adding additional info such as victory animations, taunts, and such. However, this one is a bit different as we will be including some content from Fame & Wario, which Ashley was included to promote as well as Wario: Master of Disguise 2.

This section will be broken into different parts. First, GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , could you provide some information on these two games? What is the gameplay like? What content does it have? Is there anything that can be usable for a moveset? Please write up an explanation of these two games and how they could have an impact on Ashley’s inclusion. Please note that we will only be including a small amount of content from these games. The rest of her moveset will utilize content from the WarioWare series.

Second, people are free to provide content as well but GoodGrief will make the final call whether that content can be included.

Third, people are allowed to submit a gameplay/moveset proposal during this time but they can either leave certain fields blank to allow for F&W or W:MoD2 content to be included. Once GoodGrief finishes their part for these games; then people can retroactively go in and edit F&W/W:MoD2 content in. Failing to include content from these games may result in the moveset being rejected.

So GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 , are you up to the task of letting us know the ins and outs of these games and how we could incorporate content into Ashley’s moveset? If you can, please let provide the thread to the necessary information by Wednesday night. Earlier the better. Due to circumstances, this section will be extended further than usual and will (hopefully) end by Friday so we can start voting on movesets.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom Sure! I'll get working on it right away. Given the collaborative nature of Wario's games, though, it only seems fitting that I extend an invitation to the others to present their ideas as well. As long as it doesn't seem unrealistic I'll be lax with suggestions.

(Gotta say, with awesome games like BotW 3, Astral Chain 2, etc I find it hilarious that people went with the sequel to a pretty mediocre game.)

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Job #48: Should Ashley get a Stage - Voting + Discussion

We currently have 10 more stages left in our stage roster. With that in mind, do you think Ashley should get a representative stage and, by extension, WarioWare? Please vote using one of the below prompts:

1. Yes (Please explain why and what location could be used as a basis)
2. No (Please explain why you don’t think Ashley should get a dedicated stage)
3. Maybe (Let’s table the matter for now and wait till we get closer to finishing before deciding.)

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Job #48: I’m gonna say maybe. I don’t want to outright dismiss it, but we already have two WarioWare stages. If we do get another Wario stage, I’d prefer something from Wario Land.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Warioware has two stages that represent itself very well, and I'm not sure what else you could potentially add, so I'm not sure if another one should be prioritized. That being said, I may be open to the idea once we fill a good majority of the new stages, so I'll stick with maybe

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Job #48: Yes.
Both WarioWare stages so far have been a little gimmicky and not based on locations. A stage in Diamond City would be amazing, with my personal choice being Dribble and Spitz’ taxi. Additionally, I don’t see any reason for Ashley to not be revealed alongside a Wario Land stage since they’re both Wario and though Smash favours Ware it tends to treat it and Land as the same unlike Mario and Mario Kart.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 48

I'm going with maybe, I can't really think of anything that would fit at the moment, but I don't want to dismiss it outright

Last edited:

Krookodilian

Smash Ace
Job 48:
No, Wario ware already has two stages, (which both already have unique gimmicks) so both reps can have a home stage. I wouldn’t be opposed to a Wario Land stage, but that wouldn’t make much sense to be Ashley’s stage.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
My answer is maybe, while there's already 2 WarioWare stage is there a possibility to pull a stage from Wario Land series that fits Ashley aesthetic since the upcoming game is a Wario game but, the majority of levels in Wario Land are all temples and wilderness afaik. And even if we can insert yet another WarioWare stage there's not much than Ashley's own home which already looks like Luigi's Mansion.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That’s a bit of change; especially since we will have to look at the entire Ultimate roster to add entirely new Super Smashes as well as Final Smashes if I am hearing you correctly.

As for the Graphical Improvement, I have an idea for that if that gets voted on but perhaps....

...you can toggle between different types of appearances? Brawl-style, Smash 4-style, Ultimate-style, and Infinite-style. By the cell shaded aspect though, do you have an example on what you mean from any form of gaming media so people voting know what they will be voting for when choosing this?

to the thread,

Voting for our next character concludes in six hours.
Not exactly a game, per se, but I was thinking a comic book-y style, sorta like Spider-Verse. Seemed like something that would fit well with the fun fighting aesthetic. I must say, though, a graphical toggle sounds like a pretty good idea.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
For a gameplay improvement, I would suggest the ability to disable certain characters when on random. This would work similar to both the random stage selection but it would be programmed to your player tag, similar to the button mapping on controllers.

On regards for a Wario stage, I say Maybe. I agree that I would prefer a WarioLand stage, but I'm not opposed to a new WarioWare stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom