• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSD Winter Game Fest IV - 1/17-18/09 -$4000 Pot - Melee MLK Monday 1/19

DJMirror

Smash Master
Ehhh i think Dota is ok..It bores me sometimes when no one is rushing, they just sit there and build up a big *** fortress

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
at the high levels of the metagame, dota really shines as a complex game. however, many of these intricacies are difficult to notice unless you know what to look for. much like any other game

**Havok**

Smash Lord
ATTN:

Since some of you, if not most of you are traveling from far away lands. Me, oats and (maybe) Hall can provide housing for the weekend! So if you can give us a heads up in the Chula Vista thread or a PM that would be awesome.

SoCal Love <3

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Man, my laptop picked a bad time to melt

plus Dell customer service is garbage and I won't have my laptop for atleast another week

i want to play some dota >_>

$BONE$

Smash Ace
if your name is michaelhaze, diesuperfly, ajax and edrees-- if you guys absolutely need it, you can stay at my place again.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yes Texas would be more than grateful to get housing for this.

Fiction, were you serious about housing me? lol. Just hit me up on AIM dude.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i think DSF is still housing me...he said he was, but i should make sure he didnt forget about me

anyone want to team? Im teamless and i needs a partner. I dont suck, i swear :laugh:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
if you want housing, YOU are the one that has to do the contacting. otherwise, you probably won't get housing, fool.
Lol he was the one who offered it, and he usually is the one who send me messages on AIM, so I was gonna kill 2 birds with one stone. :)

GDX, if I go I will need a partner. U wanna team? I swear I don't suck either lol.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Lol he was the one who offered it, and he usually is the one who send me messages on AIM, so I was gonna kill 2 birds with one stone. :)

GDX, if I go I will need a partner. U wanna team? I swear I don't suck either lol.
lets do it. our team name has to be "We Swear we don't suck"

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Any STDs going to happen the night before? I rather come down Friday night and chill with people rather than wake up early Saturday :O

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
LOL

you forgot

map awareness

variation in skillbuilds

picking/laning strats

knowing when to farm/gank/push etc

nice ignorance
this is coming from a wc3 and sc player. dota (which ive played for 2 years) dota is fun but really isnt that deep. skillbuilds can be learn through memorization. Map awareness is basically teamwork (you wont find any in pubs lol) and the rest of dota is fine micro.
hey i love dota but when compared to actual warcraft it lacks depth. Sure you can control one character with a total of 4 skills pretty well. Now in warcraft its basically even more fine micro + macro. ive had alot of fun with dota but i rarely learn things from that game. nothing amazes me or makes me believe that the other people im playing have betetr or worse skill than me. for a game that is a bad thing to have. for instance you just died. was the other persons hero better? was he fed? did he just get lucky? Did he get a good rune? was was he camping? a simple game of dota is not a good test on who the better players are. but a game of warcraft and you can easily tell whos better.
and also speed. Pub Dota players have an average of 70Apm, regular ladder players...well iunno there isnt a way to check other persons apm. But i consider myself an average ladder player and i average 170apm.
and you way say. Pub people suck!!! all i can say is. dont even compare dota "pros" to warcraft pros in terms of speed and apm. You will lose

Miharu

Smash Hero
this is coming from a wc3 and sc player. dota (which ive played for 2 years) dota is fun but really isnt that deep. skillbuilds can be learn through memorization. Map awareness is basically teamwork (you wont find any in pubs lol) and the rest of dota is fine micro.
Skill/itembuilds aren't set in stone; they're easily adaptable to the situation on some heroes. How can you equate map awareness to teamwork? You yourself play a part in keeping track of where enemy heroes are etc; you can't completely rely on your team to keep track of those for you.

hey i love dota but when compared to actual warcraft it lacks depth. Sure you can control one character with a total of 4 skills pretty well. Now in warcraft its basically even more fine micro + macro. ive had alot of fun with dota but i rarely learn things from that game. nothing amazes me or makes me believe that the other people im playing have betetr or worse skill than me. for a game that is a bad thing to have. for instance you just died. was the other persons hero better? was he fed? did he just get lucky? Did he get a good rune? was was he camping? a simple game of dota is not a good test on who the better players are. but a game of warcraft and you can easily tell whos better.
How can you make this statement? Of course you're not going to learn **** from BNet pubs; most of the players playing pub regularly are garbage. You're comparing "high-level" ladder to pub DotA, and using that to infer that WC3 ladder > DotA as a game.

Also, determining whether player A > player B in terms of skill is much more complicated than "oh he has x kills", he must be better than me. Not the fault of DotA that you don't know enough about the game itself to be able to tell when certain players are better than others.

and also speed. Pub Dota players have an average of 70Apm, regular ladder players...well iunno there isnt a way to check other persons apm. But i consider myself an average ladder player and i average 170apm.
APM =/= skill. Any decent player realizes that.

and you way say. Pub people suck!!! all i can say is. dont even compare dota "pros" to warcraft pros in terms of speed and apm. You will lose
So, APM = skill? Compare the APM of ladder pros to the APM of Terran players in SC. You will lose.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
Skill/itembuilds aren't set in stone; they're easily adaptable to the situation on some heroes.compared to warcraft your counter items seem really poor in comparison. Oh you change a few items based on your teamates and enemies oh good job you switched threads for BoT nice. How can you equate map awareness to teamwork? You yourself play a part in keeping track of where enemy heroes are etc5 people keeping track of 5 heros good job real hard. you act like map awareness is hard. what ever happened to minimap?; you can't completely rely on your team to keep track of those for you.i Thought u didnt play Pubs

How can you make this statement? Of course you're not going to learn **** from BNet pubs;no **** most of the players playing pub regularly are garbage. You're comparing "high-level" ladder to pub DotA, and using that to infer that WC3 ladder > DotA as a game.
If you think the ladder is equivalent of high level then you are wrong. simple as that. warcraft has a smaller scene then starcraft but still they have a scene. they have "progamers" along with live casted warcraft

Also, determining whether player A > player B in terms of skill is much more complicated than "oh he has x kills", he must be better than me. Not the fault of DotA that you don't know enough about the game itself to be able to tell when certain players are better than others.

APM =/= skill. Any decent player realizes that.apm though is a good way of telling the different skill levels nonetheless. saying apm =/=skill is the same as saying technical skill in melee =/= a good player. your right as there is more in a game besides technical skill but your wrong if you say it isnt a factor.
So, APM = skill? Compare the APM of ladder pros to the APM of I wasnt comparing the two. and yes starcraft is the superior game out of the 3 what does that prove? i said in my first post that i also played starcraft who outshines both of them Terran players in SC Terran players are over rated. The actual fast people are zerg players. 808 apm Julyzerg anyone?. You will lose.
comments in red

pockyD

Smash Legend
but a fair amount of SC's "depth" and multi-tasking is just outdated game
explain

I'll buy some things, like being able to macro efficiently (due to only being able to select one building at a time), but I think that even if you had war3's interface/engine (multiselect buildings, being able to cast spells with one guy out of a group, etc), starcraft would still require well over 250 apm to play at the top levels, with intricacies that aren't even approached by any other RTS

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
explain

I'll buy some things, like being able to macro efficiently (due to only being able to select one building at a time), but I think that even if you had war3's interface/engine (multiselect buildings, being able to cast spells with one guy out of a group, etc), starcraft would still require well over 250 apm to play at the top levels, with intricacies that aren't even approached by any other RTS
250 is average yeah. normal though is 300
but if ur really pro u can go with 250(savior)
but currently the 400s are taking over

Top Bottom