• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCLA VII: AVALANCHE - was too good, does no one do shout-outs anymore? WOW

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
Great tourny, never knew someone could finish that fast... nice job, but just a couple things:

- Did the venue fee really have to be $5? I mean I'm pretty sure the venue didn't cost $500, but maybe you just didn't expect that many people to come or something.

- Are the UCLA tournies usually held on Sundays? I would have liked it to be on a Saturday, but if there are just too many conflicts sunday is still good.

Otherwise, the tourny was very successful and fun, I'd definitely come to future tournies (have another one soon lol)

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
wow who whines about a venue fee for a bad *** tournament like this lol, i mean, if it was $5 for a house tournament, i'd understand, but a good venue?

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
wow who whines about a venue fee for a bad *** tournament like this lol, i mean, if it was $5 for a house tournament, i'd understand, but a good venue?

I'm not whining, I was completely ok with it, I had a lot of fun and it was worth it, I'm just pointing it out...

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
th3 black dud3 ??? g3tyourtournam3nt guy??? h3 was d3rrrr and stuff r3cordin up th3 butt ..... so h3 should b3 posting up som3 good stuff soonsi3s.... FULL R3ULTS????? chamoooon L333

My E k3y is brok3d3d so 3 is da E

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I remember when Mike Haze pretended his T key was broken and used 7 everywhere.

angelspe3d

Smash Journeyman
:( my k3y is brok3d for t3h r3allsssi3s but would you guys b3 down to com3 to a palm springs tournam3nt????
cuz im sur3 i could host on3 at my coll3g3. . . .

aznforce817

Smash Lord
If someone is hosting a tournament and asks for a venue fee, dont question it, TO's have to put in a lot of work at tournaments to make sure everything goes well. It's a lot of stress holding a big tournament. $5 is the norm for a venue fee anyways. Aesis deserves a good break.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
If someone is hosting a tournament and asks for a venue fee, dont question it, TO's have to put in a lot of work at tournaments to make sure everything goes well. It's a lot of stress holding a big tournament. $5 is the norm for a venue fee anyways. Aesis deserves a good break.
No, AZNFORCE, you SHOULD question it if it's desrving, look at the Monterey Park tournament from last week, They took out 20% of the pot, IN ADDITION TO A $5 venue fee, pretty sure the host didn't even run the tournament, and someone from the community did.

in this situation, it's not deserving, because the venue was put out, but at house tournaments, or ****ty venue (oc3), then it should be questioned.

Oscular

Smash Journeyman
no they didn't have a $5 venue fee, they just took 33% from the pot, but still, that's too much; i didn't even know about it until after it was too late

Race

Smash Lord
33%?!?!?!

that's waaaaay too much though, I'm only charging $1 per event on my tourney this weekend and I'm pretty sure I'll end up down a bit, lol. But it's worth it, I enjoy doing it.

iankobe

Smash Lord
I was the one running the brackets and the host actually asked for more than that.

He actually wanted 1/3 of the pot which is like...I dont't even remember. He took 30%.

It was outrageous. I couldn't even believe it either.

Goober

Smash Apprentice
Great tourny, never knew someone could finish that fast... nice job, but just a couple things:

- Did the venue fee really have to be $5? I mean I'm pretty sure the venue didn't cost $500, but maybe you just didn't expect that many people to come or something.
As a UCLA student, I'd just like to say that a $5 venue fee is extremely reasonable. Look at this link (http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/roycehumanitiesresources/Royce314.htm) to get a general idea of what's involved in getting a venue at UCLA. Check out the price to rent it >4 hours as well as all the incidental fees that could come up (cleaning, additional chairs, equipment, etc.).

Also, note that the price quotes are for UCLA organizations, they don't even quote what it would cost for a non-school affiliated party to rent (hint: much more). Honestly the only reason we can have these tournaments here as CHEAP as $5 is because Aesis goes here and runs them through his school frat.

Aesis

Smash Ace
As a UCLA student, I'd just like to say that a $5 venue fee is extremely reasonable. Look at this link (http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/roycehumanitiesresources/Royce314.htm) to get a general idea of what's involved in getting a venue at UCLA. Check out the price to rent it >4 hours as well as all the incidental fees that could come up (cleaning, additional chairs, equipment, etc.).

Also, note that the price quotes are for UCLA organizations, they don't even quote what it would cost for a non-school affiliated party to rent (hint: much more). Honestly the only reason we can have these tournaments here as CHEAP as $5 is because Aesis goes here and runs them through his school frat.
I get no money from this sht. I do it for my fraternity and for you guys. I honestly don't have to hold them, especially for Brawl, and especially because I was bored of Melee and retired a long time ago. Goober's right about the costs... I'd appreciate if you didn't complain :)

Why Sunday? Because that venue was booked every Saturday for the next 3 months at the time, basically. I'm really lucky to get so much help from ASUCLA services, but yeah. UCLA *****. Period...

FULL RESULTS.

jk
I uploaded them 5 minutes ago. :) Chill out

Top Bottom