• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCLA REVIVAL II! Brawl + Melee Tournament (5/23/09) Need more TVs, sign up!

Lovage

Smash Hero
Thanks for coming out everyone! We finished way earlier than expected haha, next time maybe we'll get crews in =) I uploaded the results file on AiB already, hopefully they'll approve it soon.

Lovage you left your cube! And someone left a VCR and there's also a tiny grey TV that doesn't have a name on it haha. Let me know if either is yours, we have them in our apts.
oh ****!!!
i really need that cube..,.please dont lose it....do you have AIM?

DanteFox

Smash Champion
Ok full shoutouts:

Junk: Thanks for picking me up, dropping me off, driving around and putting up with my incompetence. Btw nice controller. :bee:

Gosu: Thanks for teaming with me and giving me tips on playing some of my matchups.

Unknownpresence: thanks for the sandwich. :D

Plan 9: I like the style with which you play falco. ^_^ Noises included lol.

Atlus: Nice meeting and playing you. I'll work on my falco matchup.

Futile: Dang I got ***** on Yoshi's. Fun games.

Mango: It was great finally getting to play you. Thanks for that.

Anyone else I played with/ against: good times. look forward to next time.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
The reason Melee doesn't make it to top tier on my list is because it's much like MvC 2: It was NOT designed to be a balanced, competitive fighting game. It was designed to be a cartoony party game with lots of colors and crazy things going on all at once. It was designed so that both players could feel good about themselves whether they won or lost.

Even though Melee is an amazing fighting game, it's also a very unbalanced fighting game. And that's why I don't think it's on par with Street Fighter or Guilty Gear.
You're very ignorant. 3S is not anymore balanced than Melee. And on top of that, Melee is much more in depth and complex than any SF game.

Celph

Smash Journeyman
Fox, Marth and Sheik are all perfectly balanced.

Sherigami, you do the same stupid things I tell you not to do. You never change up, you just do the same stuff over and over. Very annoying and dumb to play. Play smarter. Stop attacking from the ledge.

Kouryuu, Tofu was not on fire. He was actually playing pretty badly. Lucky is just another Fox now.

mio

Smash Ace
Kouryuu, I'm really not sure why you want to make every opinionated discussion into a spitting contest. Think what you would like.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Fox, Marth and Sheik are all perfectly balanced.

Sherigami, you do the same stupid things I tell you not to do. You never change up, you just do the same stuff over and over. Very annoying and dumb to play. Play smarter. Stop attacking from the ledge.

Kouryuu, Tofu was not on fire. He was actually playing pretty badly. Lucky is just another Fox now.
Lucky just another Fox... ? I really don't like that thought. Lucky you *****! Step it up!

@Mio

I'm not trying to argue everything you say. You're just stating false statements about Melee and I'm letting you know that you're wrong.

nublet06

Smash Lord
lol @ lucky just another fox. imo he is getting bored with the game and cannot pull out his try anymore unless its a really cool opponent like zhu or silent spectre.

maybe hes the new isai lol. ***** in doubles and is bored in singles.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
shoutouts!

kira: thanks for the ride
jdm: good 3s matches
smoke2joints: good games
futile: good game.
u dont even post so u might not even see this
pat: <3
zhu: i ****ing missed that **** by a mile. ur chinese accent is too good
connor: good ****
lucky: im rei not "the guy in front of me" lol. thanks for the advice tho
everyone i friendlied or spoke to: nice meeting you

∫unk

Smash Master
mah 64 peeps
iSmokeHerbz - Always cool at my place. It's fun playing 64 with you cause you help me out the few times I play
smoke2jointz - wow >_> I got ***** sooo hard in any of our 1v1s
Lovage - you're already soo much better than when I last played you...

It's really cool to see really good 64 players gathering maybe someday I'll take the time to learn this game seriously and not just be a z-cancel nub.

mah SB/SLO peeps
DanteFox - I <3 my new controller so much thank you! Sorry about brawl singles don't let it discourage you but... drop jiggs :D Thanks for talking to me on the car ride back I might have fallen asleep otherwise
UnknownPresence - Fun on teams sorry we sucked bad after that first round but at least we can say we beat 3rd. Sorry I had to beat you with a smashball D: I'm sure you'll 3-stock me next time we played I got pretty lucky
Gosu_Engineer - I wish you entered brawl singles... Thanks for carrying the TV everywhere and sitting in a 2x2 square in the car XD
SomeRandomKid - Good **** your ROB is becoming more and more impressive... and you got way better in tetris from the 1 hour you played
Dantarion - Your snake keeps coming up with new tricks... and you're already soo much more patient than like a month ago. I hope you got to watch some of the really good snake's there today... you suck balls at tetris
KiF - You didn't even go but it felt like you did cause you were there the night before and the night after. Too pro at tetris.
LeyLi - I hope you had fun at your first tourney you had kinda a hard bracket... but I hope the experience was worth it ^^
WarpStatus and Gishnak - Tooo good you guys came to visit us! I really didn't think you were going to come at 3am lol. "Are you guys playing a fast-hacked version of brawl?!?"

Overall the car ride back was tense cause we were like 1 hour lost but we got back in the end so it's all good. I blame Dante ofc for his terrible navigational skills (I saw him playing a game on my ipod when he was "looking at the map"). Either way it was fun almost hearing stories from playboy outloud, making up team names, or just having way too many people in the car.

Too bad we didn't go to the arcade at the end.

mah Brawl peeps
MikeHAZE - Thanks for the advice and just helping me move up from scrub level. Every time I watch your Marth I learn something new.
CPU - Cloooose games. Olimar is dumb no worries :D One of the nicest guys and I had fun in our tourney set
Goober - Your peach really really impressed me. Thanks for giving me some good Peach experience and for hosting a really well run tourney (hopefully next time there won't be a date conflict).
RichBrown - Pro Brown! I dunno how we beat you but obv you tore it up in losers good job :D
Skank - Good read. Terrible DI.
EazySeph - Fun friendlies they were sooo close.
Ajax - I just got a new red painted controller but god **** yours is... amazing 10/10
JonT - We only got to play one friendly D: nice to finally talk to you I'll probably come to you with more matchup advice now
To all the peeps I played friendlies with - Too much fun! Fox dittos, Ike dittos, Falcon dittos, Kirby v Marth, I got a bunch in with different ppl.

The tournament was kinda small but hopefully the dates won't clash next time but the venue location and venue itself were perfectly fine no complaints in fact it was really nice having all those stores so close.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The reason Melee doesn't make it to top tier on my list is because it's much like MvC 2: It was NOT designed to be a balanced, competitive fighting game. It was designed to be a cartoony party game with lots of colors and crazy things going on all at once. It was designed so that both players could feel good about themselves whether they won or lost.
A game is what it is. "Designer's intent" (as if anyone could ever know that anyway) is completely irrelevant.

Kira-

Smash Champion
I may start using the block feature. Mio will be my test subject.

@ DanteFox

the samus was probably HugQ

JDM

Smash Champion
Great tourney, amazing staff, great venue, good amount of setups, arcade *****(except sf4 was $1 to play and 3s was only a quarter. I ****ing love racing games)

Full shoutouts after results are posted.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Tourney was pretty awesome, registration was handled really well.
One complaint is that me and some other people signed up to bring stuff, ended up fitting 7 people and 2 tv's in a car, only to have our stufff sit on the floor the entire time lol.
Other than that, awesome all around, Panda Express owns.

Ajax+JonT: WE TOOK YOU TO JAPES WITH TWO DKS WHATCHA GONNA DO. O wait, you beat us. But it was fun.
Skank: I hate Olimar. GGs
Lucas: Wtf, you use pit, also, I hate pit. GGs.
JMO: Fun friendlies, deadly peach

Team DKDKDKDK only played double DK in one match, maybe we should use a different name!

DnTrN

mio

Smash Ace
A game is what it is. "Designer's intent" (as if anyone could ever know that anyway) is completely irrelevant.
And as it is, Melee is a very unbalanced game. Whether it was the designer's intent or not is still irrelevant, as you said. Whether 3rd strike is equally unbalanced is up for debate.

But one of the things we do know for sure is what the designers' intentions were. Melee was made to appeal to the most general population of gamers with all of its zillion features, but the designers clearly did not focus on catering to the competitive fighting gamers. The smash community knows this. Street Fighter is designed specifically for tournament and high level play, and that's why they make several updated, more balanced versions before making the next game in the series. This is a well-known fact to the Street Fighter community.

And Kouryuu, I'm not talking about how you are arguing everything I'm saying. I'm talking about how you are just hasty, calling me ignorant when you yourself don't know very much about Street Fighter. Calm down and learn how to have a mature discussion.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Let's do this, shout-outs time:

Pat: Thanks for holding the smashfest the day before and letting us sleep there, that got me hella warmed up for the tourney and I don't think I would have played half as well if I hadn't gone. Thanks. :) Go to bed at 11 o clock *****

Kira: Thanks for teaming with me and sorry I had to mess up so much that first match against lovage/atlus, we freaking had them and I messed up a simple chain grab. But, I'm not dwelling on that. I just realized I have to practice chaingrabbing now because I've never actually done it seriously before. We should team more often, I think we work well together.

flamingroy: you guys are ****ING AWESOME! Move out here asap so we can play some more teams friendlies and actually team at a tournament. TEAM UPSMASH/GIMP for the ****ing win lol. I can't wait to see the look on our opponent's faces when we tail spike them into a shine then double usmash their teammate. XD

nicaboy: we should mm for a dollar next time, I posted that i would mm you but i ended up mm'ing your brother for the dollar he gave me for the arcades earlier. move out here quick, you guys are too good. I never learned your guys' real names, next tournament haha.

ResidentWaffle: You got a lot better, I should play a lot harder next time because I was definitely underestimating you in crews saturday night. You never chaingrabbed me before lol.

SamDVDs (Samantha): you should have gone to this!!! it was a lot of fun playing you saturday night, 805 really underestimates how good teams friendlies are for improving, they definitely helped me out a lot. Zelda has some weeeiiiiiird hitboxes lol.

Sleepy: You've gotten better as a Marth, but you need to make less small talk during matches, especially other people's. It gets annoying. >_> Yeah i said it

Pat's brothers/friends/whoever: thanks for waking me up sunday morning with the smell of bacon, that **** was seriously too good. I wake up hearing "omg there's so much bacon" and it got me really excited for some reason LOL. but my eyes were burning the whole day and idk why :(

The Great(er) Leon (Brendan): You shoulda called in sick :(. UCLA just isn't the same without you. Pat's house the night before was seriously too good. Next time we get together we really need to do a lot of teams friendlies, they get you to play a lot smarter and a lot more aware.

Plan 9 (Derek): we ALWAYS ****ing play in tournament. we played in teams this time around, and i woulda played you if you had beaten I.C.B., which I'm kind of glad you lost (got dq'd?) to, because I'm tired of playing you in tourney all the time. :( you ruined your life for the sake of comedy, and for that i give you MAD props. Also stick with Falcon, it's much more fun to play against than crappy Doc.

embracethe12 (Steven): sucks you couldn't go man, I heard you had some family stuff to attend to. It was too bad too because it was a **** *** tournament and ended hella early. The matches were boring as **** to watch but there were a lot of open TVs for friendlies, which is always a good thing.

Nick: It was good to see you again, and this time you didn't knock on the door at 2 am wanting to smash so it was all good lol. The little quarrels you have with pat are really funny to watch, like playing the piano at like 11:30 and pat comes down all pissed, I don't know why but that was really funny for some reason. Keep it up

Atlus: taaaaaaaauuuuuuunt cancels are too good. Good **** in the tournament, you've really gotten a lot better since like 5 months ago, and I definitely noticed it a lot at this tournament. You should get to like Chipotle, it's really amazing. :(

Tafuitza? The sheik guy I played in tournament: Sorry I had to SD like that, I thought for sure I could win but SD's always get in my head and it's really hard to recover from something like an SD at 0% doing something I've practiced so many times. Hopefully we can play next time and I won't SD so we can have a real match. :)

Killer Tofu: Man watching you in tournament is really entertaining, you do a lot of cool tech chases and stuff. Good **** beating Lucky too. I haven't played your falco in ages, we gotta hold that down next tournament.

Zhu: A man who likes his change, good **** finding the perfect combination of quarters, nickels, and pennies for any change amount, I wanna see that next time played out. Your Falco is too sexy, it's like Falco on ice with all the sliding around, it's too smooth.

Lucky: Play more meleeeeeeeeee, what happened to you man??? Quit playing Brawl, it's bad for your health. D:

TheLifeRuiner (Alfredo): We didn't get to play this time around, go to pat's next time and I can drive you to whatever tournament we're going to, that much is guaranteed. Unless it's a saturday tournament, in which case i can probably drive you anyway. :p

Cathy: Good seeing you again, we don't see each other like we used to. I remember the good old days, driving you and jesson and larry and flyleef, and flyleef would say something stupid and we'd just say "****ing flyleef". Good times.

Lovage: You still owe me gas moneys for picking you up all the way at your far *** house, but I'll be patient. I know you're good for it. Some of your tricks are amazing with Fox, I gotta say. The wavelanding is too good, I wish I could do that.

Gosu Engineer: Thanks for the ice cream sandwich buddy, that cheered me up lol. To just be playing there and someone randomly comes up behind me with an ice cream sandwich is like the best thing ever. Hope to see you at more tournaments, we should play more next time.

Connor cakie pie: I'm out for some blood, some white peach blood! Better train the **** outta your peach cause i'm learning the match-up and i'm gonna **** you on mute city next time. Except I won't pick it so nevermind. >_> **** cp'ing mute city against a peach, it's the gayest thing ever. I'm on to your tricks though. ;)

Girl who let us play our last match: you're the best. sucks the venue had to close so early, i mean wtf

Futile: good dk, but this ISN'T BRAWL. STOP STAGE SPIKING ME!!! I'm gonna mm your dk next time, I'm out for DK blood.

mangoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo: good **** winning, I GUESS. I wish someone really good would spring up on the scene to give you a run for your money, I wish larry would come back though :(

Larry: come back :(

Nasty_nate: stop trying to mm my pikachu with sheik. It's not going to happen NOOB. But i'll mm your jigglypuff for sure. :)

I think that's it, just a few more things to say.

Pikachu dittos are too much fun, they definitely teach me a lot about my own character, like how to intercept people approaching from the air. It's really quite something.

I'm also really glad I didn't get a ticket for parking on that street behind chipotle without a permit, I wasn't worried at first but then I saw a cop inside chipotle and I thought for sure one of them would come up to me and ask me if I owned a white Isuzu Rodeo. fuuuuuuuck that

Good **** goober for hosting the tournament, UCLA tourneys are always the best.

Aesis: get back from italy *****

also, get at my **** sig

bbb

Smash Champion
Plan 9 (Derek): you ruined your life for the sake of comedy, and for that i give you MAD props. Also stick with Falcon, it's much more fun to play against than crappy Doc.
I'm gunna be sticking to falco and doc me thinks, so you can gimp me yay

also ruining my life was a necessary sacrifice

Top Bottom