• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UC Norcal Crew Battle II *Thank you for playing*

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'
Hey, that's cool :). I wasn't just directing that toward you either since others had expressed similar opinions and I just wanted to explain ourselves. Thanks for your good wishes though and have fun this semester!

To the participating UCs:
I know some of you aren't even in school yet but we would like to get some time to prepare ourselves. So sometime soon after Super Champ Combo, could you guys get us some preliminary info? I think Merced is the only one who needs housing and I think we'll definitly have enough for 10 people-ish or a little more. If anybody needs more help or has concerns, please post them.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Well the minimum seems to be 7, and I doubt we'd have that even if every UCSC known smasher came. I think it's just me, PK, Mikkuz, and PHD, and that's even if we all came, which isn't super likely. But I'd still like to come.

juzz87

Smash Apprentice
As for Merced, I'm not too sure how many of us would be willing to make the drive. I'm sure myself and Jmic would probably be down, but as for a crew of 7, we might not be able to meet that. I got a few midterms coming up as well, so this kinda has to take the backburner to that. I will for sure let you know whats going on though, glook.

hugQ Cortex

Master
Maybe we should have crew money matches to give people further incentive to come...no, scratch that, we should have a crews tourney with a first place prize...maybe second and third prize money too...round robin format... and crew with the most wins (and better stock score) takes first :) What say you Eric C?

_glook

HugO: My personal stance on money is always no unless that was the idea from the very beginning (like SMASHturbation tournaments). All I really wanted to do was just host a crew battle where people can play to represent their UCs, just for the hell of having fun playing smash and competition. But if making it a money tournament is what people want, we can discuss that in the thread. If the other UCs want that, I'll discuss it with the Smash Bears committee. And at any rate, this may be a DISincentive for some people to come, spending money to come in the first place (like train/car) and then having to spend more money to participate.

Hyuga and UCSC: We actually have a contact at Santa Cruz and they've told us they can bring 5 people minimum for sure but they also said there's no reason why they can't bring 10-15 people. If you wish to talk to our contact, we could give you their contact information if you wish to speak directly with them.

VANS: No, the crew battle will be in our club's reserved rooms on campus. Unless you're talking about housing, in which yes, housing for people who need it will be in apartments.

juzz and Merced: I will talk to the rest of the committee about coming up with ideas on transportation to ease things for you guys. And also, we can, for sure, provide housing for you guys if that's an issue.

Thanks for all the responses. Again, if you have any concerns, please post them.

jmic

Smash Ace
I'll mark my calendar for this. This sounds quite epic. I'm pretty sure UC Merced can put together a decent crew, although the UCSC team sounds pretty intimidating.

All the more reason to practice!

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Hyuga and UCSC: We actually have a contact at Santa Cruz and they've told us they can bring 5 people minimum for sure but they also said there's no reason why they can't bring 10-15 people. If you wish to talk to our contact, we could give you their contact information if you wish to speak directly with them.
Hmm....sure.

I'll mark my calendar for this. This sounds quite epic. I'm pretty sure UC Merced can put together a decent crew, although the UCSC team sounds pretty intimidating.
ROAR! Hope you guys make it.

ohpistachios

Smash Apprentice
sounds like a lot of people are gonna make it. this is gonna be fun :D

and i think we should say no money involved officially, but if crews agree to make it a moneymatch, they can do so.

PHD

Smash Apprentice
I might go to this, but it's on my birthday... I don't know if I want to play smash all day on my birthday...

AndyS.

Smash Cadet
I wish state schools were allowed. I attend Sonoma State and haven't really had a challenge since when I played the Bi-weekly's over 1 1/2 years ago.

Draft me Sheridan! Hopefully you remember me!

_glook

Okay, sorry it's been while. Projects/Moving/Midterms (which I'm still not done with) have gotten in the way so I haven't been keeping up with this as much as I should. Also, I don't current have regular access to the internet so I might not get back to you timely (until the end of the week that is).

That being said, the crew battle is only a little over 2 and a half weeks away and we'd like to start getting an idea of the status of other schools. For the specific schools we've talked to:

UC DAVIS: From what it seems, it looks like you guys can come back for this one, but I'd like to be sure everythings fine. Is everything in order over there? How many people are coming (as said before, the optimal number is at least 10).

UC SANTA CRUZ: I've talked to the other committee members and it doesn't seem like the parts of Santa Cruz have communicated yet. Hyuga, have you been able to get in contact with Stephen at all? Is everything in order? How many people are coming?

UC MERCED: As we've said, we can definitly house Merced people since you said you guys would need it. As far as transportation, the guys came up with suggestions of Amtrak, CalTrain, and Megabus (megabus.com), although I don't know if Megabus will come all the way up here. I'm not very familiar with the Merced area, otherwize, I'd attempt to give you guys a plan for getting up here on various forms of public transportation (like we usually do to try and get to the SJSUs).
How's your situation currently? We'd like to see you guys make it up here with as many people possible (as said, 10 would be ideal, although in your case 7 may be a more realistic number).

UC Everybody:
RULES:
As far as rules, we figured we'd open it to currently enrolled students from the UC schools. For the actual crew battle rules, we at Berkeley usually go with Kish rules. If you're not familiar with that, it basically entails each crew to pick their players from their team, pick characters to go with those players, and the team starter before each match (between crews). After the starters have played their round, the losing team may pick their player (who must stick to his or her character). At this point, the losing team may pick a stage (from the 6 neutral stages) after selecting his or her character, after which the winning player may chose to change characters. If no counterpicking occurs, then the next round will again be a random neutral stage, with the winning player suiciding the number of stocks they lost in the previous match(es). Team to run out of players first loses.
MISC:
It is getting pretty close so we would like to start cementing things. Please respond as soon as possible so we can know your situations. Thanks again and hope to see you guys soon!

juzz87

Smash Apprentice
glook

Unfortunately I don't think UCM can make this one. I have a family thing going on that weekend, just been brought to my attention a few days ago. If we did go, it would've just been myself and Jmic. Not to mention the logistics of getting people there and back and such.

We would've loved to come and smash with you guys, but it's probably not gonna happen for us. Hell, we don't even have a solid committed smash crew besides myself and Jmic.

Next time, hopefully, we can go. I'm trying to organize the smashers here and as you can probably tell from the tournaments I've run. Hopefully we'll have a crew of more than 2 by the next one.

-juzz

einthesuperdog

Smash Journeyman
On Davis' part it looks like there are 6-7 people who are pretty committed to going right now. It doesn't look like 10 will be a problem, but I think it's pretty contingent on whether or not rides are available. Man I wish I could go this, I missed the last one too T_T Hopefully there'll be more.

_glook

Thanks for the responces.

UCM: I'm sorry to hear UCM can't make it to this one but maybe you can make the next one (whenever that is and wherever it ends up being hosted). And I guess it would be kind of awkward to come with just 2 people anyway :).

Davis: Sweet, we'd love to see Davis here again and smash it out with you guys. If you need anything, just contact me.

I have internet again so I'll be checking back regularly again.

_glook

UC Davis: I believe there is a train/shuttle that goes from Davis to Berkeley, or at least we heard from Scamp when we last talked to him. I think one of your guys may know of the train as well. We could ask Snap to ask Scamp about details if you guys want. I'll ask the others if they know though and I'll post info about the shuttle here as soon as I get info.

@darkatma: It's pretty lively, actually. We regularly have about 30 people show up to each biweekly, although it's still in midterm season and such. A lot of the people we expect to show up also don't show up for various reasons as well (not to mention some people just don't want to walk to Dwinelle on a Saturday morning or don't feel they want to "get owned"). To be perfectly honest, most of the smashing goes on at improptu smashfests at someone's place so if you know where to look, it's not hard to find smashing going on.

gongbomb

Smash Cadet
I believe the Berkeley-Davis shuttle only runs on weekdays. There is an option that I could suggest to Davis about going down Friday, if Berkeley doesn't mind housing us. But we'll see if that works out, and if you have housing for us.

hugQ Cortex

Master
SMASH HOUSE HOUSING!!!11!!!1

Peter you should come it will be fun. Just be nicer to us when we berkeley kids go to other tourneys...and don't cheer against us lol =)

I hope I can come to this. Stupid midterms. =/

_glook

Gongbomb: Well, since Merced isn't coming, we have a bunch of space freed up in our apartments if you'd like to stay over at Berkeley XD. Although, getting back is going to be a problem unless you want to get back on Monday. I'll look at how AC transit looks and update you on that.

petoo0

Smash Ace
cheer against Berkeley? lol sorry but if my crews/best friends play Berkeley...then I'm going to cheer for them. but yeah...umm Oct. 27th is the first Saturday in a very long time that i will have a "free" from studio (I'm actually in studio right now) so I think I'm going to go out with friends and stuff.
P.S. BTW..I QUIT SMASH =). <33333

_glook

UC Davis: How many people do you plan on bringing because we may possibly have a form of transportation lined up, we just need to know how many people and when you all plan on leaving.

_glook

I've updated the front page with all the concrete information and a link to the event's page on our website. I highly suggest a readthrough so everyone knows what's going on. http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~smash/events/fall2007/ucnorcal2.html

However, we do need to know a few things.

We have decided that after the crew battle, it might be fun to do a singles tournament. What we want to decide right now is if that tournament should be free or paid and how much the cost should be. If any UC objects (not including Berkeley), we'll just make it a free tournament.

Secondly, what kind of pizza do you guys want and how many people are you guys bringing? We need an estimate of how many pizzas to buy.

Thanks again everyone. Please respond ASAP and see you all here on the big day!

gongbomb

Smash Cadet
There's a tourney on our campus this Friday, so we won't be able to take the shuttle down to UCB. So we'll most likely take Amtrak. In such a case, will Berkeley be able to pick us up from the train station? We probably won't have more than 7 as of now.

Also, one of our guys is coming from Richmond and he wants to know where he can park.

And no preference on pizza.

Thanks

Jayferd

Smash Apprentice
gongbomb: here's how you get to Berkeley on Amtrak, using BART (which is faster, cheaper, and gets you closer to campus.)

Take Amtrak to Richmond. The Richmond Amtrak station is the same as the Richmond BART station - just follow the signs to BART, and take BART to Downtown Berkeley (not North Berkeley...)

That will drop you off about 3 blocks away from Dwinelle - which is where the battle is. I can meet you there if you want.

...and your friend coming from Richmond should probably park at the Richmond BART station and BART over with you guys - parking is a beast here.

Top Bottom