• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uair String changes matchups

LanceStern

Smash Lord
When you get really good at it and can hit it out of whiffs, spotdodges, turnip throws, dthrows, dairs etc... you wreck a lot of people. Bowser, DK, Ganon, Wolf, Wario (Out of air release), Falco (if they whiff), Snake, Link, Dedede.

It makes the matches easier. hotgarbage has been saying it, Razmakazi has been saying it and used to do it a lot, Illmatics' been doing it.... we should start.

SETUPS
Difficulty means how hard it is to execute (controller input and timing wise). The more the stars the more difficult it is.
Practical means how practical it is to hit the move in a match. The more stars, the more practical it is (you want more stars in practical category).

Chain grab to Uair String
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2hR7PQaYfg (on Ganon) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_1b4CI7L4Y&feature=related (on Dedede)
Difficulty: ***
Practical: **
Probably the hardest setup to execute. You chain grab the opponent until they popup enough to be uair strung. You have to buffer a dash-uair string. It's pretty tight, you could possibly upsmash instead. However if you get the timing down you can pull this one off most practically, cause they can't SDI the chain grab. In the heat of a close game the timing might get thrown off.

Shorthop Dair to Uair String
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF-pxIUO3gE
Difficulty: ***
Probably the second hardest setup to execute. You short hop dair, and then release it with an uair. Then immediately start uairing. The timing is strict, but it is practical to hit (as seen in illmatic videos) because of the nature of the dair popping up the opponent. In the heat of a close game the timing might get thrown off.

Float Dair to Uair String
Video: No video so far
Difficulty: **
One of the easier ones to execute... its easier to release the dair and continue in an uair string motion. Also it gives you time to claw the controller for an uair. The chances of you landing a float dair is pretty decent and their SDI has to be spot on to get out of it, opponents don't like to just sit and watch you approach them with a float though, so it's somewhat practical.

Float Dair to turnip throw up to Uair String
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JVkpCt5Rxc
Difficulty: **
Almost the same as dair to uair string, but the turnip gives you a little time to dash and buffer the string. It also looks flashy.

Float to Uair String
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF-pxIUO3gE (@ 8seconds ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbJRC1_CnHc ( @ 2:15 )
Difficulty: *
Practical: *
The easiest one to execute, but probably the least practical to hit in a match. You simply ground float over to the opponent and start uair stringing the opponent. You would have to do it off of a whiffed or really laggy move. Be smart about where you decide to throw it in.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I agree.

It's just funny that all I've heard is talk about it, and the one "proof" I've seen was Illmatic doing it against a Bowser once.

Haha

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
that's mainly because you don't watch any of my videos

Haha

Nordal

Smash Lord
He's done it plenty of times. I want to see how this affects the fox matchup, since fox ***** Peach pretty hard in my opinion.

z00ted

It changes MK from a -5 to a -4.
lol
He's done it plenty of times. I want to see how this affects the fox matchup, since fox ***** Peach pretty hard in my opinion.
I agree, Fox is more difficult than even.

It's also pretty hard to pull off on Fox. He falls so quickly the rate at which you do your uairs is much faster.

I've done it from 15% to like 94% before. It will be in my combo video.

z00ted

I've played plenty of Foxes.

He may not **** Peach but it seems as though we have to put in much more work to win.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I've played plenty of Foxes as well, but neither of us have extensively played any of the Foxes who matter so that's irrelevant.

Both characters have to put in a similar amount of work to win, but under different contexts. Peach is going to be focused on boxing in and out to try and land worthwhile hits while avoiding his dair, fair, u-tilt, grab, as many lasers as possible, etc. Fox is going to focus on finding openings to exploit with said bread and butter combo dealers, deal as much as possible with lasers throughout each stock (standard), try not to get gimped once offstage, and find ways to kill Peach with his super obvious kill move and kill setups. If any Peach is still getting killed by Fox easily, they need to work on their bob-n-weave game and avoidance of his u-smash/uair in general...they're all he has aside from the occasional u-tilt/high in the air fair kill, or shine gimp. Being grounded is also very important, and shield pressure should come in VERY minimal spurts since he has very dangerous OoS options against careless spacing.

If anyone could explain how to handle this matchup better than I could, it would be Mikey.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I just got out of smashfests and I wrecked people with Uair strings.

Wolf, Bowser, Ganon, Link, Dedede

It demoralizes your opponent when you hit it on them out of nowhere. I mean one whiff, or you spot dodge and you could potentially rack up 70% or more. It WORKS.

Problem is it's harder to hit on fox, he's not near you long enough or he's utilting or shining when close. It's REALLY hard to hit on him. And I think Fox is evenish. But we definitely have to put in work. It's frustrating. Start dair->combo him and nair/bair out of shield for KOs.

Nordal

Smash Lord
I've played plenty of Foxes as well, but neither of us have extensively played any of the Foxes who matter so that's irrelevant.
I play Trevonte on a constant basis. The matchup is in Fox's advantage. I usually get really close but he'll get the KO move, mostly because Fair won't kill because I've been using it to wall him out.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Fox vs Peach is DEFINITELY NOT in his advantage. Fair is not your only kill move. BUT ITS MY ONLY RELIABLE OOOOONE. Soooo...? It doesn't change the fact you have plently of other adequate kill moves, especially vs Fox. A light fastfaller that is not difficult to edgeguard and surely not hard to pressure. And whose Usmash you can punish with your own, but if you're too scared to pull that off, you may use pretty much any other move to punish him.

Don't be afraid of hitting him if he comes close, or else he'll hit you. Fox hates being trapped since this fast ******* likes to run marathons across the stage, and thankfully Peach is good at cornering, so abuse her strength.

:053:

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I play Trevonte on a constant basis. The matchup is in Fox's advantage. I usually get really close but he'll get the KO move, mostly because Fair won't kill because I've been using it to wall him out.
Why are you walling him out with fair? By doing that, you're already putting yourself in a bad position. If he powershields it, free u-smash or dair to whatever. Fair should be used very conservatively against him, use her other tools more often. Box him out, cover your tracks, and find ways to lead yourself in all with turnips.

Why aren't you grounded and playing a more conservative boxing and chip damage game against him until one of you safely work your way inside?

How does you losing to a better player while additionally jumping around in the matchup constitute said matchup as being in the other character's favor? I know the falco matchup really well, I believe it to only be 55-45 falco's favor, but I still get two or jv 1 stocked regularly when I play Shugo. That doesn't lead me to believe Falco destroys Peach, Shugo is just a better player than me.

Even matchup.

:phone:

Nicole

Smash Champion
i agree with ill.

fox seems hard to me and i dont care for the mu at all. he's fast, he kills you for floating at 90%, you HAVE to approach him because of lazers. play a really gay fox who runs from you the whole match until he can kill you, then tell me it's in our favor.

i think fox is the easiest space animal, but they are all rather difficult for peach imo. fox has something the others don't in his amazing speed and amazing usmash.

also yeah fox is harder to do the uair string on.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Fox vs Peach is DEFINITELY NOT in his advantage. Fair is not your only kill move. BUT ITS MY ONLY RELIABLE OOOOONE. Soooo...? It doesn't change the fact you have plently of other adequate kill moves, especially vs Fox. A light fastfaller that is not difficult to edgeguard and surely not hard to pressure. And whose Usmash you can punish with your own, but if you're too scared to pull that off, you may use pretty much any other move to punish him.

Don't be afraid of hitting him if he comes close, or else he'll hit you. Fox hates being trapped since this fast ******* likes to run marathons across the stage, and thankfully Peach is good at cornering, so abuse her strength.

:053:

Are you serious? He's one of the toughest to edge guard

And to MrDoom: uair string gets through SDI, it's all been tested pretty thoroughly

z00ted

fox seems hard to me and i dont care for the mu at all. he's fast, he kills you for floating at 90%, you HAVE to approach him because of lazers. play a really gay fox who runs from you the whole match until he can kill you, then tell me it's in our favor.
LOOOOOL

thisssss Mr. Zeton where you at?

Nordal

Smash Lord
Fair is your only safe kill move. All other ones can be up smashed, and if it clashes it's good for Fox since you're gonna die at about 90%, and he won't die until at least 120%. This isn't melee, fox isn't nearly as easily edgeguarded.

Fox vs. Peach is definitely his advantage.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
if it clashes it's good for Fox since you're gonna die at about 90%\

wtf

Well there is your problem with the match-up. This isn't Melee, Peach isn't killed nearly as easily with a Shine/Uthrow set-up. Ok you got killed at 90% once, no problem, you just slipped, make a small comeback. But consistenly dying so early? That's not Peach's fault. Especially not since she's actually quite safe on shield.

If he powershields it, free u-smash or dair to whatever.
Agreed with your post except for this part. Whether the Fair got powershielded or not, jab or even grab should always beat his Usmash/Dair in practice. It barely has any lag and decently spaced I dont see a problem.

:052:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I don't know how many times i gotta post this but make sure to dair fox a lot, it pokes his shield like nobodies business. he needs a full 100% shield to shield it, aim for his ears.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Fox can out camp Peach, and constantly refresh his moves for early kills.

Up close, Peach has massive priority up the ***. She destroys almost every single one of his moves, with sheer range and priority. She can also kill him early, which is a major plus since racking up damage on Fox is easy as ****. 1 Dair leads to 2 more + a Nair + a safe turnip pull and throw. Her combos on Fox are also potential gimps as well. Stealing his stock from that position isn't that hard either.

Yeah, Peach does really well out of shield against Fox, but he doesn't exactly have trouble racking up damage either. Even though our OoS game is pretty **** against him, he still has options against our offensive game against him. The offensive game we need to kill Fox. He kills Peach at 100% all the time with sweet spotted Up smash which isn't hard to land. That's with or without floating.

I can say the MU is a good 50/50.

:peach:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
does everyone that can uair string consistently use L jump? im having a really hard time doing it with default controls >.>

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I use R to jump for this. Uair string is the only reason I ever use C-stick with Peach.
besides short hop dair and momentum canceling

I almost got the uair string on Moozle's Bowser on wifi, but I up smashed after the first uair on accident. :(

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I almost got the uair string on Moozle's Bowser on wifi, but I up smashed after the first uair on accident. :(
Hitting with uair once doesn't count as "almost"

lawl

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Peach definitely doesn't lose to Fox, lol. He has a really hard time with edgeguarding and priority abuse. I challenge anyone to play Edrees' Peach with Fox, it's a frustrating experience. You just get ***** if you screw up.

I don't see why QCDI doesn't **** the uair string?

Top Bottom