• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A U WOT M8 - Shulk Q&A (READ THIS MESSAGE: PLEASE READ BEFORE MAKING A THREAD)

Thanks for the tips! What is IASA, by the way?

Also, this is something I've been wondering for a while, but do you guys have any footage of your Shulk gameplay? You all seem to know what you're doing and I've noticed that other players who have a good handle on their characters move relatively fast, despite being slower characters, and I just don't think I've reached that stage yet. I haven't seen any spectacular Shulk matches, so I thought you guys might have some.
Check NAKAT and sky's stream for Trela's Shulk Wii U videos

Also if it's coming up, DaPuffster might have some footage (Hopefully)
Hello, so two things:

I'd like to know the best way to fight Rosalina & Luma as Shulk, or in general really. Even if she apparently got nerfed it's still frustrating to deal with because the player can just hide behind Luma and if I try to bypass Luma, they just shield-grab. If Luma dies, they just roll away endlessly until they get that star back and that teleporting crap is annoying as all hell. It also doesn't help that dumb star can interrupt grabs, which is where the majority of my Buster damage comes from.

Two, what are Shulk's best OoS options? Particularly when an opponent dash attacks through your shield and ends up behind you or when they are out of range to grab after an attack or you were unable to perfect shield. Thanks!
If you're running buster, just spend that on luma but really, I'd rather just go on speed or jump so I can move back in forth against Rosalina and luma. It also helps that the blast zones are smaller in the Wii U version so it's not that difficult to KO her with vanilla/jump attacks. Hell, you can even aim for the KO at lower percentages with Smash.

Of course, you still have to watch out for Rosalina's deceptively big hitboxes. You also need to respect the luma. The match up is pretty much a test of patience since you're practically going against 2 characters. If you take out luma, use jump or speed and try to tack on as much damage as possible on Rosalina for ~13 seconds.

Also, luma can't be controlled while Rosalina is thrown or taking damage (Taken from the patch thread 1.0.4) so.... throw her when luma isn't near by

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Also if it's coming up, DaPuffster might have some footage (Hopefully)
Here is some for Glory footage I recorded last night. (no sound)
http://www.twitch.tv/dapuffster/b/592239490

You can also find my matches with Shulk early on in this stream of KTAR vs Logic, don't know the exact time but its near the beginning/
http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/591618085

I'll be going to more tournies in the future though with streams so hopefully I can get a set with shulk on there.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey @ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster , question:
  • What else did the booklet say about the MArts?:troll: (You don't have to answer, I was going to look at it later today)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
General question:
  • How do we get the sourspot damage of Jab-3 with Shulk? Jab-3 deals usually 5.3% but the sourspot deals 4.2%

Last edited:

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
It finally occurred to me that the best way to get advice on improving my gameplay is to actually show you how I play, rather than attempting to explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZswVcE0KMYQ&feature=youtu.be

I figure it'd be better to show you a match where I did poorly, but this is a typical FG match. As you can already tell, I struggle with being juggled; I don't know if it's a mentality you need to develop but air dodging just such a failure for me. Aside from that, I'd like as many things as possible pointed out that I did wrong and what I should be doing instead. And not even just Shulk tactics exclusively; I don't have that much know-how in advanced techniques so bringing out things I should do or even tactics I should have done while on the defensive or offensive would be very helpful. Even my Shulk feels sluggish at times, so I don't know if there's any specific tip for that other than using Speed.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Don't pummel at early percentages. Make sure you land your buster aerials on the player. Space n-air correctly especially when using arts that decrease damage output. Don't rush in with f-air. It's better if you space with it. Don't roll too much. Try to relegate Shulk's smash attacks for punishment or edgeguarding. Against a character like WFT, you should take advantage of her/his poor range by maximizing your range. Basically, it's probably better to use buster or jump. Against his/her projectiles, it's not that hard to deal with. Just swat them with n-air (Doesn't work on full charge though)

Last edited:

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
Don't pummel at early percentages. Make sure you land your buster aerials on the player. Space n-air correctly especially when using arts that decrease damage output. Don't rush in with f-air. It's better if you space with it. Don't roll too much. Try to relegate Shulk's smash attacks for punishment or edgeguarding. Against a character like WFT, you should take advantage of her/his poor range by maximizing your range. Basically, it's probably better to use buster or jump. Against his/her projectiles, it's not that hard to deal with. You can even swat a fully charged sun shot with n-air
I did not know you could swat the sun ball with N-air. I just find any kind of charged projectile intimidating because I think I can power shield/dodge it in time but somehow I'm just prone to getting hit. They should have given Shulk Monado Purge so he could retaliate. But thanks for the tips, looking back, approaching with F-air never really worked out so I'll refrain from doing that.

I did not know you could swat the sun ball with N-air. I just find any kind of charged projectile intimidating because I think I can power shield/dodge it in time but somehow I'm just prone to getting hit. They should have given Shulk Monado Purge so he could retaliate. But thanks for the tips, looking back, approaching with F-air never really worked out so I'll refrain from doing that.
It works with buster though as long as you FF F-air

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
It finally occurred to me that the best way to get advice on improving my gameplay is to actually show you how I play, rather than attempting to explain it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZswVcE0KMYQ&feature=youtu.be

I figure it'd be better to show you a match where I did poorly, but this is a typical FG match. As you can already tell, I struggle with being juggled; I don't know if it's a mentality you need to develop but air dodging just such a failure for me. Aside from that, I'd like as many things as possible pointed out that I did wrong and what I should be doing instead. And not even just Shulk tactics exclusively; I don't have that much know-how in advanced techniques so bringing out things I should do or even tactics I should have done while on the defensive or offensive would be very helpful. Even my Shulk feels sluggish at times, so I don't know if there's any specific tip for that other than using Speed.

Thanks again!
Three things I noticed are (1) the amount you use Smashes, Shulk has some of the most punishable Smashes in the entire game. You almost never want to use Smash, Dtilt and Ftilt are good enough that unless someone does something super punishable (side dodge dancing with you), Smashes are not your answer. (2) Almost never do Smashes if your opponent is hanging off a ledge. (3) If you have Speed on, roll less. You lose all the positives from Speed by rolling.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I wanna try this out so bad because the thought of it makes me itching to test it out. Sadly I can't atm but maybe someone knows:
  • Can the MArts Momentum Cancel in any way? Like if you cycle to Jump ASAP during hit-stun & Shulk does a pose shouting out the Art.

(I can see Hyper Monado Arts doing this very well since HMArts activate themselves a bit quicker :shades:)

Last edited:
I wanna try this out so bad because the thought of it makes me itching to test it out. Sadly I can't atm but maybe someone knows:
  • Can the MArts Momentum Cancel in any way? Like if you cycle to Jump ASAP during hit-stun & Shulk does a pose shouting out the Art.

(I can see Hyper Monado Arts doing this very well since HMArts activate themselves a bit quicker :shades:)
I thought arts don't activate while you're in hitsun state. At least for me. You can switch while in hitsun but it won't activate until your out of hitsun state

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
So I used to think turning on Buster was a bad idea, now I think it might be a good idea after the patch. I tested this by having Buster Shulk do all 4 throws on regular Shulk, and then the same the other way around with Shulk doing all 4 throws on Buster Shulk. Buster Shulk ended up dealing more damage with Regular Shulk being at 56% and the Buster Shulk being at 43%.

TL:DR Buster makes Shulk deal more damage than he takes. This basically means you're just making the game finish faster by making both parties deal more damage, but moreso in shulks favor. This is a straight upgrade if you use it in the neutral game or when you have stage control. I've also learned more about the Jump art in the sense that it does in fact make shulk very weak as he takes much more damage than he does even in Buster. That art should only be used defensively imo.

As for the speed art, I've been making n-air into pivot grab a combo because he slides like half the screen with his pivot grab, its mad crazy. More time in the Shulk lab later.

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
Three things I noticed are (1) the amount you use Smashes, Shulk has some of the most punishable Smashes in the entire game. You almost never want to use Smash, Dtilt and Ftilt are good enough that unless someone does something super punishable (side dodge dancing with you), Smashes are not your answer. (2) Almost never do Smashes if your opponent is hanging off a ledge. (3) If you have Speed on, roll less. You lose all the positives from Speed by rolling.
Awesome, great practical advice! I'll get in the habit of everything said and try to post another match. Thanks!

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Little advice and/or critique of my skill that anyone can give me from these? Just wanna know how well I'm doing with Shulk right now and how I can improve it.

:4falco:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGCnNr5860I
:4wiifit: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8envNnny9fM
:4falcon: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VTCsX2ZE2ns
:4samus: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rox_Z-_Dg-4
:4kirby: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3zms6KVRqlA
:4luigi: (this one's kinda funny) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uAflB50LOIc

I know, there's already a video thread where I can post these, but I did that already and my posts have been ovelooked for like 2 (When it comes to looking fo advice, I'm kinda impatient and I dislike it when my comments are overlooked, sorry) days now and I still got no comments, at all. I just feel like I've reached a peak where I'm not going to improve anymore until I get some advice, since almost all of my recent matches pretty much went the same way as these ones and my gameplay hasn't changed at all.

If anyone can at least watch the Wii Fit Trainer match for me, it'd be awesome. Don't know the matchup against that character at all, no matter who I play as.

Little advice and/or critique of my skill that anyone can give me from these? Just wanna know how well I'm doing with Shulk right now and how I can improve it.

:4falco:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGCnNr5860I
:4wiifit: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8envNnny9fM
:4falcon: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VTCsX2ZE2ns
:4samus: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rox_Z-_Dg-4
:4kirby: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3zms6KVRqlA
:4luigi: (this one's kinda funny) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uAflB50LOIc

I know, there's already a video thread where I can post these, but I did that already and my posts have been ovelooked for like 2 (When it comes to looking fo advice, I'm kinda impatient and I dislike it when my comments are overlooked, sorry) days now and I still got no comments, at all. I just feel like I've reached a peak where I'm not going to improve anymore until I get some advice, since almost all of my recent matches pretty much went the same way as these ones and my gameplay hasn't changed at all.

If anyone can at least watch the Wii Fit Trainer match for me, it'd be awesome. Don't know the matchup against that character at all, no matter who I play as.
Wii Fit Trainer's projectiles can be swatted with your aerials (N-air most notably or f-air or b-air). All you need to do is to exploit her horrible range with your incredible range. That's about it really

If you're trying to f-smash her while she's grabbing the ledge, you have to properly space yourself from the ledge and aim downwards to land the hit. DO NOT fast fall with d-air. The landing lag on that is big and easy to punish

There were some matches where in you didn't use Monado arts that much but it worked for you especially against that Kirby. Then again, I think you should try using the Monado arts more often. By the way, that Kirby video was insane. Good **** I like how you took advantage of shield's defense against Kirby. You barely took any damage while zoning him off.

So, you didn't use that much arts. I know you're doing well without the arts. Good job by the way. But.... Maybe you should take advantage of your arts more often. Try not to use f-smash a lot. Use Monado jump when recovering back so that you don't really have to deal with air slash not auto snapping. Don't force the counter. I noticed that with the Samus video. After you landed the first counter, you started trying to get more. Only use counter when you're sure about it.
So I used to think turning on Buster was a bad idea, now I think it might be a good idea after the patch. I tested this by having Buster Shulk do all 4 throws on regular Shulk, and then the same the other way around with Shulk doing all 4 throws on Buster Shulk. Buster Shulk ended up dealing more damage with Regular Shulk being at 56% and the Buster Shulk being at 43%.

TL:DR Buster makes Shulk deal more damage than he takes. This basically means you're just making the game finish faster by making both parties deal more damage, but moreso in shulks favor. This is a straight upgrade if you use it in the neutral game or when you have stage control. I've also learned more about the Jump art in the sense that it does in fact make shulk very weak as he takes much more damage than he does even in Buster. That art should only be used defensively imo.
It also helps that buster allows Shulk's attacks to be much safer on shield. The damage buff directly increases the shield stun Shulk's attacks can deal. Now I think about it, buster is menacing on shields. The raw damage is enough to significantly whittle down shields, it's usually safe on shield and it even pushes back shielded opponents

SolidSense posted something very interesting. I don't wanna tag him because he might get bothered so here you go:
I did some Shulk testing to confirm my suspicions about Buster. I wanted to see how punishable Shulk's f-tilt is at various ranges, so I had a friend space f-tilts on my shield. The results were very interesting.

At tipper range:
-Both Speed Shulk and Standard Shulk could get punished by Little Mac f-tilt.
-Buster Shulk couldn't be punished by any attack that Little Mac had.

At blade range (as in, not tipper, closer to middle of the blade):
-Speed Shulk could get punished by Little Mac f-tilt and f-smash.
-Standard Shulk could get punished by Little Mac f-tilt but not by f-smash.
-Buster Shulk couldn't be punished by any attack that Little Mac had.

At close range (as in, close enough for Little Mac to jab):
-Speed Shulk could get punished by jab, f-tilt, f-smash, pretty much everything. Same goes for Standard Shulk.
-Buster Shulk couldn't be hit by jab, because the shield pushback was too much, but he could be hit by f-tilt. F-smash was *still* not possible.

I'd like to continue testing other characters (as well as aerials), but my conclusion is that Buster Shulk is flat out superior to every other Shulk by quite a bit, and Speed is rather underwhelming.

He only takes +13% damage from being in Buster now, compared to the +40% that he deals back to the other side. In exchange, he's much safer, and his attacks have less knockback--and this is an advantage rather than a disadvantage because it makes traps and followups easier to achieve.

Buster Shulk and Ike are both significantly overbuffed; the buffs were very inappropriate imo, and both are easily top 5 contenders with customs (Decisive Arts for Shulk, all moves for Ike). You can't punish well-spaced attacks from either character.

Last edited:

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
Alright first off Pika, you should have made that post in the metagame thread. In fact, before you do that. Read every post in said thread. A lot of general advice on higher level Shulk play such as the proper usage of his monado Artes and how you ought get in line to suck nair's **** it's so good are already in that thread and various others throughout this subsection. Take advantage of them.

I really need to emphasize this. Read all of what's already been discussed. There's a ton of helpful advice for specific match ups as well right there waiting for you to take advantage. It's clear from watching your videos you aren't adapting your style to deal with the character you're facing. In fact, speaking of videos, watch the many that have been posted already as well. You'll learn a lot from them.

A large part of what makes Shulk so daunting at first is having to memorize the proper Arte usage for every other character in the game and then actually putting those fundamentals into practice. Every piece of advice someone could give you has already been dolled out elsewhere in this subsection. Go get it.

Last edited:

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Alright first off Pika, you should have made that post in the metagame thread. In fact, before you do that. Read every post in said thread. A lot of general advice on higher level Shulk play such as the proper usage of his monado Artes and how you ought get in line to suck nair's **** it's so good are already in that thread and various others throughout this subsection. Take advantage of them.

I really need to emphasize this. Read all of what's already been discussed. There's a ton of helpful advice for specific match ups as well right there waiting for you to take advantage. It's clear from watching your videos you aren't adapting your style to deal with the character you're facing. In fact, speaking of videos, watch the many that have been posted already as well. You'll learn a lot from them.

A large part of what makes Shulk so daunting at first is having to memorize the proper Arte usage for every other character in the game and then actually putting those fundamentals into practice. Every piece of advice someone could give you has already been dolled out elsewhere in this subsection. Go get it.
Read 900 posts before you ask for advice... Is what you just said. I think asking for advice as a player is completely different from just getting to know a character. You know, I think the main problem is that we still don't have any sort of matchup thread, and all the information for matchups is spread across all the hundreds of posts in this sub-forum. Srsly I miss that sticky that was going to link to discussions for every matchup. There's currently no organization at all to look that information up.

And yeah, WFT's SUNLIIIIIIIIIIIGHT has crazy priority when fully charged.
@ Funkermonster Funkermonster I would use Speed a lot against them, because both their projectiles take some time, and Shulk will completely dominate her depressing range without giving them much room. Same with Samus. Fun fact, N-air and F-air cuts through missiles and uncharged shots. So just rushing through her missiles with N-airs is quite a viable approach (and awesome). Samus is more punishable than WFT but has some good range and priority so be sure to zone, just stay wary of her really good dash attack and punish/counter it.

Jump is pretty good against Kirby because they usually approach from the air, so you can catch them quick while they can't block. Speed with grabs works against Falcons who like to poke and roll away, and to match his overall speed for easier zoning, Well, overall, you seem to do pretty good. You definitely know what you're doing, so like Berserker said, try incorporating Monado Arts more into your game and play around with how they can affect your matchups and future.

One thing I noticed personally, is that you seem to attack quite a lot. Not really a fact since it comes down to playstyle, but try and think about how safe your attacks are. I would try to use D-tilt over F-tilt, and maybe cut down on the jabs (don't do the third hit unless you're positive it will combo/hit), because both of those are easily punished. For starters, try working in a little Speed usage in matches to add those fast grabs to your arsenal, I noticed your offensive style gets shielded a lot, so some grab mix-up could do wonders.

Last edited:

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
@ DiverseStyle DiverseStyle

Correction. WFT's fully charged sun shot CANNOT be swatted. My bad about the correction
Yeah, I was gonna say. Today I played against my friend's WFT and kept trying to N-air the sun ball but it kept hitting. I was screaming "BERSERKER, YOU ARE SO WRONG."

But on that note, can N-air pretty much swat away lesser uncharged projectiles, or even some charged ones? Like for example, Ness' PK Thunder because I sometimes find myself getting stuck in the air and off the edge by that and I'm not even sure if N-airing it is safe to begin with.

Yeah, I was gonna say. Today I played against my friend's WFT and kept trying to N-air the sun ball but it kept hitting. I was screaming "BERSERKER, YOU ARE SO WRONG."

But on that note, can N-air pretty much swat away lesser uncharged projectiles, or even some charged ones? Like for example, Ness' PK Thunder because I sometimes find myself getting stuck in the air and off the edge by that and I'm not even sure if N-airing it is safe to begin with.
I think I confused the slightly charged ones with the fully charged one. Lol. My bad

N-air can swat sun shots. As long as it's not fully charged or it it's the weaker shots

Oh and don't use n-air off stage. It's gonna get you killed

Edit:

You can't swat off sun shots that are more charged or fully charged. Only the slightly charged to no charge sun shots

Also, 100% on this: You can swat the soccer ball back

@ Hokori Hokori

We really need to add these QnA's in the OP in case someone makes a thread about it

Q: Can Shulk's aerials destroy projectiles?
A: Yes but it can't neutralize those projectiles that are nearly to fully charged

Q: How many B presses does it take to deactivate arts?
A: 3 button presses

Q: How do you use Monado arts?
A: Go to this thread

Q: I need help with the match ups.... Any tips?
A: Just post it here for now. The OP of the thread (Shurui/Neo Zero) is currently inactive

Last edited:

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
Q: How many B presses does it take to deactivate arts?
A: 3 button presses
Huh, I thought it was 2, but you're right. So would this be a valid piece of advice? If you're launched off stage while in Shield Art, rapidly press B 4 times to quickly switch out of Shield and into Jump?

Huh, I thought it was 2, but you're right. So would this be a valid piece of advice? If you're launched off stage while in Shield Art, rapidly press B 4 times to quickly switch out of Shield and into Jump?
2? Well, I heard you can cancel it in 2 presses but I haven't been able to successfully do that. Does it have to be quick?

I only managed to cancel it with 3

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Q: Can Shulk's aerials destroy projectiles?
A: Yes but it can't neutralize those projectiles that are nearly to fully charged
I never messed with it myself, but I never knew exactly why Shulk's aerials or moves in general destroy projectiles. I knew projectiles generally got weaker, & that projectile vs projectile is based on a priority rule of what deals 9% more than the other for the clash effect to be negated & the stronger projectile out-powers the weaker one, but as to why Shulk's N-air that deals 8% destroys a Lloyd Rocket that deals 7% not ridden & 17% when Villager rides on it baffles me. Especially the 17% damage part. @_@

Last edited:

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
2? Well, I heard you can cancel it in 2 presses but I haven't been able to successfully do that. Does it have to be quick?

I only managed to cancel it with 3
I had also heard that but I never really payed close attention to how many times I spammed B, but now that I actually tried it, 2 presses still keeps you in the Art even with a rapid input. This is actually more helpful now since I can easily switch into Jump when I need to knowing 3 gets you out of an Art.

I never messed with it myself, but I never knew exactly why Shulk's aerials or moves in general destroy projectiles. I knew projectiles generally got weaker, & that projectile vs projectile is based on a priority rule of what deals 9% more than the other for the clash effect to be negated & the stronger projectile out-powers the weaker one, but as to why Shulk's N-air that deals 8% destroys a Lloyd Rocket that deals 7% not ridden & 17% when Villager rides on it baffles me. Especially the 17% damage part. @_@
Any aerial can neutralize projectiles. Marth's f-air comes into mind

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
When I get a WiiU Turbo Controller for myself, I'll settle this 2 presses of B funny business & know for sure 200%. Turbo isn't legal for Tournaments, but it's a mission I'll complete.
:4fox:
Any aerial can neutralize projectiles. Marth's f-air comes into mind
True, but then again when I think back to Brawl Marth's F-air, (I know, different game:c) that aerial had stupid priority properties. Like I shoot a Fullcharged Aura Sphere with Lucario at 70% directly at Marth as he SHs & he F-air'd destroying my beefy FCAS. That **** made no sense to me & I felt so salty about it for a good while. I can believe it now, but those dark days. . . Anyhow thanks again for answers.:shades:

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I can't do it in two anymore :(.
I'd like to think I'm not crazy given I only started 2 pressing after the 3ds tip said it was applicable but the Wii u tip says hold it, wtf.
You can hold in 3ds as well.

Given I would realize if I was 4x pressing after 2k fights. Either I need to see the doctor or its a 1.04 thing. Sakurai plz.

Last edited:

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
If I remember right, holding B is a bit slower, though. And I've never had any luck with canceling arts with two button presses. I sat down and tested it for a while and... I just couldn't understand why so many people say it's two presses.

And not just aerials, I remember ninja kicking missiles with Falco's F-tilt (even super missiles?). And since then I've done it with even jabs and other attacks. So I think Shulk can even punch missiles with his jab. It does depend on the projectile though, like WFT's volleyball has a bit more priority. I've seen it been deflected but the enemy hit at the same time. Just like with gordos. And I don't think Falco's lasers can be hit at all, Shulk's N-air doesn't stop it, and they just go right through SUNLIIIIIIIGHT.

But as a general rule, I think disjointed attacks just beat out projectiles that can be canceled out by weaker attacks. Melee attacks sometimes work but may also get you hurt at the same time depending on the projectile.

Last edited:

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
So for those of you fortunate enough to have a Wii U, how is the transition as Shulk between the 3DS and Wii U? I thought I'd try my hand at a casual tournament this week and don't really know how my 3DS skills and adaptation to its mechanics will translate to the Wii U, if at all. I've been watching DistantKingdom's guide as a general reference but I thought I'd ask if people feel there's a huge difference. Should I keep training on my 3DS or would that actually hinder my performance?

So for those of you fortunate enough to have a Wii U, how is the transition as Shulk between the 3DS and Wii U? I thought I'd try my hand at a casual tournament this week and don't really know how my 3DS skills and adaptation to its mechanics will translate to the Wii U, if at all. I've been watching DistantKingdom's guide as a general reference but I thought I'd ask if people feel there's a huge difference. Should I keep training on my 3DS or would that actually hinder my performance?
I don't have the Wii U version :c

But as far as I know and according to some, training on the 3DS version is fine but the blast zones are different

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Holding down B is slower, but it's slightly safer to be holding, then drifting so that the Shield mode you had on being launched off-screen would help you consistently more than to press B repeatedly while moving with the control stick / pad. Either way it works I just feel holding is a bit safer, especially because Shield mode reduces the launch power & all. Perhaps because of the reduced knock-back, Shield may be the best MArt of switching out of hit-stun / launch.

I only have one question:
  • What would you guys do if your opponent was mostly spot-dodging but rolling some to avoid Buster's shield-damage, & that the opponent's spot-dodging & rolling was safe & not very punishable?

(I'm talking like him shielding one moment, then as soon as my super-spaced B-air's sourspot is out, he spot-dodges & rushes me. This also applies with N-air & F-air as well.)

Last edited:
I only have one question:
  • What would you guys do if your opponent was mostly spot-dodging but rolling some to avoid Buster's shield-damage, & that the opponent's spot-dodging & rolling was safe & not very punishable?

(I'm talking like him shielding one moment, then as soon as my super-spaced B-air's sourspot is out, he spot-dodges & rushes me. This also applies with N-air & F-air as well.)
If it were me, I'd stop going aggro with Buster and let my opponent approach. If they start camping or stalling, switch to Speed or Jump and make them uncomfortable (my favorite are empty jumps mixed in with SH nairs and fairs). After a bit of conditioning, I'd switch back to Buster once I had a better hold on the situation. If they continue to go for safe dodges, play the punish game. Do you use bairs on or off stage that are leading to this problem?

I have a couple of questions myself:

• When in Jump or Speed, do you find it more practical to start the nair REALLY close to the ground when landing behind so you get the opening hitboxes behind Shulk and barely see the animation? Or do you release it late and allow the arc to come behind his back on the top and hit the top of their shield?
  • How do you keep from juggling? I get juggled hard by characters with good ground mobility (and especially on flat stages). To my knowledge, Shulk doesn't have any reliable B-reverses. I read somewhere on the forums about a Monado Air Turn, but couldn't find anything else about it
  • On an unrelated note, I haven't played the Wii U version yet--does the C-stick auto-FF aerials like in Brawl?

Last edited:

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
I don't have the Wii U version :c

But as far as I know and according to some, training on the 3DS version is fine but the blast zones are different
Yeah, Jerm told me training on the 3DS in his opinion increases your skill ten-fold for the Wii U, so that's great. I'll keep at it for the next few days, gotta represent us Shulks.

Also, what if I'm caught in the opponent's jab or a string of F-airs, which way should I generally be hitstun shuffling? For example I'm having a hard time getting out of Little Mac's repeated punches or Sheik's throw to F-air strings.

Edit: On a related note, any tips on the Diddy matchup? I feel it's just bananas bananas throw throw, then aerial massacre. I don't even feel safe using Buster cus he's too slippery.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Do you use bairs on or off stage that are leading to this problem?

I have a couple of questions myself:

• When in Jump or Speed, do you find it more practical to start the nair REALLY close to the ground when landing behind so you get the opening hitboxes behind Shulk and barely see the animation? Or do you release it late and allow the arc to come behind his back on the top and hit the top of their shield?
  • How do you keep from juggling? I get juggled hard by characters with good ground mobility (and especially on flat stages). To my knowledge, Shulk doesn't have any reliable B-reverses. I read somewhere on the forums about a Monado Air Turn, but couldn't find anything else about it
  • On an unrelated note, I haven't played the Wii U version yet--does the C-stick auto-FF aerials like in Brawl?
Nah I don't have problems with B-air, just a "what would you do" question I was asking anyone.
  • I would find it practical if we landed behind them with a N-air. Doing a SH > F-air with Jump, while I'd FH > F-air with Speed, then drift past them to do the cross-up N-air from behind.

• you can B-Reverse the MArt self-activation. That's when you can do that, otherwise like you said Shulk has no reliable air mobility mix-ups.

• Pretty much. I didn't feel that much of a difference.

Last edited:

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Nope, I think it doesn't. But there's this weird bug in which if you hold the C-stick while in the air, you lose all of your horizontal momentum. You have to just flick the C-stick quickly. It can be tricky to get used to if you were the type to press the stick all the way, but it's nothing horrible. Also, inputing a diagonal on the C-stick produces a N-air in the air and a jab on the ground. That part is kind of a double-edged sword for me :'D.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Another question:
  • Does the MArt B-Reverse's distance change when switching to or from a mobility-altering MArt like Jump Speed or Shield? (If Buster & Smash differ too then damn)

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
Just wondering, but how do you guys approach sudden deaths? Of the few times I've gone into SD on For Glory I've lost most of them.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Guys, when would fair be a much better choice than nair? What's shulk optimal oos options? and any advice on the Mega man MU

Guys, when would fair be a much better choice than nair? What's shulk optimal oos options? and any advice on the Mega man MU
They're both ranged, can be used offensively or defensively, are great for swatting projectiles. Nair is generally better for getting in. Fair is better for mid-range poking

As for OoS, air slash, grab, or jab. Jab is his fastest option but remember, jab combo does not fully connect on light floaty characters

Also, ChronoPenguin has an idea about the match up on what to do basically. He probably knows it more than I do so here:
You are aware Megamans pellets only extend into mid range. Where Shulk has little issue being on a general level with due to a) Speed b) Jump. Also in that he can counter the pellets on the ground, and this will launch him forward with Vision and that Megaman cannot block this, and has to hope he has enough distance that he can attempt a spot dodge.
In addition to Shulks N-air being notorious at canceling projectiles at which pellets are not exempt, as well as Metal blade being caught. In the case of customs again, power vision off a stray pellet can literally kill Megaman because Power vision is ********. Outside of that Megaman is again outspaced when it comes to B/F air. Back Slash can Mini hop over F-smash as well if you attempt it as a landing trap (never mind Vision on top of that).

N-air beats out metal blade as well, and F-air definitely stops crash bomb, probably N-air as well. Given N-air is Shulks bread and butter if your move gets stopped by that, it'll certainly struggle given the on-stage spam N-air is capable of. With general spacing Megamans utilt has issues being a probability to begin given what Shulk has to work with

Top Bottom