• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping Return or not?

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Get rid of it. All it has served was me getting smashed attacked and KO'ed because of it.
That's ridiculous, you don't even stay on the ground for long. You must have dashed right towards someone charging a smash attack and then tripped, because it is near impossible for the opponent to react on your trip and punish with a sufficiently strong attack.

The best thing your opponent can do is grab, and if you died because of that you either had very high damage, got chain grabbed/mixed up to death or Bowser-side (has happened to me).

People really overreact when it comes to tripping. It is very annoing and shouldn't be in the competetive gaming, I agree with that, but it isn't game breaking nor lethal.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
That's ridiculous, you don't even stay on the ground for long. You must have dashed right towards someone charging a smash attack and then tripped, because it is near impossible for the opponent to react on your trip and punish with a sufficiently strong attack.

The best thing your opponent can do is grab, and if you died because of that you either had very high damage, got chain grabbed/mixed up to death or Bowser-side (has happened to me).

People really overreact when it comes to tripping. It is very annoing and shouldn't be in the competetive gaming, I agree with that, but it isn't game breaking nor lethal.
Actually no I don't approach someone that charges their smash attacks. I simply wait then punish it but what I mean is I have had times where I would try move out of range of the character in questions smash attack to had then tripped and ended up being hit by it. I have to disagree with you though in term of a player reacting to someone tripping with a strong attack. I don't simply mean a smash attack.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
It screws both casual and serious players depending on how badly they want to win. Honestly i don't really see a point in distinguishing hardcore and casual smashers, we are all trying to win, anything that adds an element of chance shouldn't be there.

:phone:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
It screws both casual and serious players depending on how badly they want to win. Honestly i don't really see a point in distinguishing hardcore and casual smashers, we are all trying to win, anything that adds an element of chance shouldn't be there.

Couldnt agree more and nicely stated.

MarioNPinkie

Smash Apprentice
even though its been stated before they just scrap the random tripping issue in sm4sh since trips can turn a tide in a match whether its competitive or not it was a silly idea to even add it in the first place

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Actually no I don't approach someone that charges their smash attacks. I simply wait then punish it but what I mean is I have had times where I would try move out of range of the character in questions smash attack to had then tripped and ended up being hit by it. I have to disagree with you though in term of a player reacting to someone tripping with a strong attack. I don't simply mean a smash attack.
Well, you specifically said Smash Attack.

It's not like your opponent can run and do a CC Smash attack if you trip a small distance away, Brawl isn't that advanced. It takes too long to do a smash attack, and as I stated before, you don't stay on the ground for so long. heck, most times they can't punish at all.

If you are in your opponent's range when you trip, then I can see a problem. Then they might have the option to land a relatively fast smash attack (that most likely won't knock you out anyway, but rack up some damage nontheless) or do what I said in my previous post: grab/mix up.

Then again, I am not supporting tripping by any means. I don't think random tripping belongs in Smash, I just think that people overreact, that's all.

I disagree with Vkrm, in a casual viewpoint, you don't always want to win. You strive for fun over all. That said, tripping doesn't contribute to this.

Lastly, can someone (looking at you, Vkrm) please enlighten me what specifically is trolling with my posts.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I disagree with Vkrm, in a casual viewpoint, you don't always want to win. You strive for fun over all. That said, tripping doesn't contribute to this.
I think just about anyone would want to win in a game. Ironically, competitive players won't play necessarily to win either if it's to devise new strategies. You can have fun either way though. To me, whether it's fun or not depends greatly on how you lose. If you simply get outplayed, get a lucky shot in, or it's really close, you can still have fun at all levels. Ultimately, BOTH players should be saying, "That was fun! Let's play again."

As you said, tripping doesn't contribute to this as the Random Number God decided to screw with you and was completely out of anyone's control. The loser will be ticked off while the winner will feel they didn't really earn that one.

peeup

Smash Lord
The unanimous consensus:
Tripping is dumb.
Tripping, while small, does get in the way of a solid competitive environment.
There is no logical reason to keep tripping in the next installment because it adds nothing and subtracts something.
The only kind of tripping that should return are trips forced by banana/a move that trips.
Tripping may return because who knows.

Can this thread end now?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
They've already confirmed it won't be in.
Source?

Also lool this surely is the devils thread lool its still going on but you be suprised about peoples views reguardless of how simple you may think the answer is.

everything opnion

i learned all that stuff the best when i actually had some people tell they like and think gears of war 2 is better then 1...

Im sure theres people who like tripping and want it to return or would welcome something else similar.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've heard a rumor that all Smash rumors are wrong. :D

People have said this before, but really the best solution is to have it as an option that can be toggled on or off. Because hey, if you're looking to play for typical random, zany Smash fun, adding in tripping adds just a few more drops in it if you'd like. Absolute execution of it seems rather unnecessary regardless of how many people hate it and how badly.

Tesh

Smash Hero
manual tripping by bananas and dtilts etc. is fine but tripping while tripped is stupid and needs to be taken out.

grounded footstooling should trip

peeup

Smash Lord
No but seriously everybody has the exact same opinion and it's just being restated for 13 pages, can this thread go away?

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Random Tripping was possibly the worst mechanic ever implemented into a Smash Bros. title.

I think it's safe to say the entirety of the Smash Community is going to say **** no in regards to it's return in Smash 4.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
No but seriously everybody has the exact same opinion and it's just being restated for 13 pages, can this thread go away?
Goes a long way to show how everyone hates the random tripping mechanic.

peeup

Smash Lord
Yes, but clearly everyone is on the same page with this discussion. And because of that it's not actually a discussion. It's just everybody saying the exact same thing. There is zero progress on this thread.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I understand that they added it to make the game more fair, but I don't think it should come back. I get why they would want to balance it out so skilled players would miss a smash attack and leave them vulnerable to add to the randomness of Brawl, but c'mon.

There's a handicap mode for a reason. If i'm playing with a less skilled player i'll give them a handicap, I don't want to worry about tripping too. There are enough things going on within a battle to make it a more equal playing field but tripping just results in controllers through tvs.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think tripping should stay in.

I mean, it adds a level of decision-making skill to the game: Should I take the chance of running/moving anywhere? Or not?

Option select.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Yeah lol at all the scrubs. Tripping is the best new addition in brawl. They wanted to shift the focus onto the air game by making the ground game harder to calculate. Having aerials that can't be canceled just proves my argument.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Easier solution: Don't play brawl
and wait for somebody to mod ssb4
cause sakurai could probably **** it up even with NB helping

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yh i know..easy to blame the same guy xD

So what would you lot like personally to happen to the game or the direction?

Because imo the direction that Sakurai said he wants to take is the best the ''i dont just wanna make it a brawl 2' thing.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Better mobility options coexisting and building off one another
Less laggy fallspeciallanding and a less powerful ledge through various means (as in, no auto-snaps or super giant ledge sweetspots) to make either recovery option just as viable.
Removal of hitstun canceling (Note that I really don't care if there is enough hitstun to do all that many carry combos)
Similar or even slower fall acceleration and significantly faster maximum fall speed: The result being that there is a more noticeable hangtime in the air followed by an acceleration until it hits terminal velocity
Faster fast falls
More noticeable difference between short hops and full jumps
An additional jump height achieved by jumping from a crouch, or "high jump"
Better KBG (knockback growth) on most kill moves so they actually kill before 160%
Slightly higher hitlag and less SDI capability to better facilitate hitconfirms and DI followups
Shield stun handled on a per-move basis instead of being a universal that relies on the damage a move deals
Removal of powershielding
Smaller shields that last longer without breaking and can be angled both more easily and to higher degrees
L-canceling returning with proposals to better interact with the offense vs defense perspective of the technique, compounding on the more anglable shields
Air dodges are limited to one use before landing, getting hit, or grabbing the ledge.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Phazon powershielding is when you shield something with perfect timing and get rewarded for it with less shield stun, and in melee, it reflects projectiles.

But Kink what about PSing projectiles
that's a legit thing I do that all the time. Sometimes I also go for powershields on moves that can be reacted to. I'm sure you have your reason, explain? If it's something like "it's rewarding accidents" then that's not a very good reason because it does come into play (and intentionally, not just by accident) in a lot of places; I use it myself quite regularly.

EDIT: I really like most of the rest of that though. Not sure if I'd like the way block stun would be handled. I'd be fine with it for sure if it was proportional to pushback (but not to an extreme amount, not so that high blockstun moves push them back far enough to reset to neutral) so that the ending of block stun is intuitive rather than requiring players to learn the timing for every single move. OR if there was some kind of pattern or trend that separate moves' blockstun amounts on the basis of the type of move, like idk smashes having a certain amount, certain types of aerials, etc.

And we've talked about before I find the idea of smaller, but ~brawl strength shields would be better for smash as it makes high/low mix-ups work better, but in the analog system that makes them oh so much more dynamic.

Top Bottom