• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping (ink dropping)

Njs523

Smash Cadet
Edit: Lol, when starting the test for this I discovered that Lucas's up taunt is a trip animation. As for the times you were just standing there, I am guessing you must have just pressed forward.

As for the tripping having to do with who's winning, the chances are the same for both. I have tested this.
oh, haha if that's the case i probably just pressed the wrong taunt ><
sorry about that then :urg:

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
oh, haha if that's the case i probably just pressed the wrong taunt ><
sorry about that than :urg:
np ^^
Its good for people to post these kinds of things so that we can test different theories.

Egaseci

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6004-1540
Man, it's starting to look like this may be purely random. I sure hope it isn't. If it is purely random it seems like there should be some way to turn it off. It seems sloppy for something like this to be included without some way to disable it.

I'm still crossing my fingers that there is some better explanation.

:edit:
Has anyone had this happen during a wifi match?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Bump - It would be good to have people continue to discuss this. Maybe someone will experience something that will change things.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VmxHhy6JJJE

Not sure if this has been posted before, but at the end of this video, it was noted that Nana tripped but Popo didn't, and I really think this confirms it to be random. Hitaku, just to make sure that he wasn't desyncing them somehow, you might want to do tests with IC's if you're looking for something to test.

Enshoku

Smash Lord
in a box of fading memories, and everlasting knowl

Not sure if this has been posted before, but at the end of this video, it was noted that Nana tripped but Popo didn't, and I really think this confirms it to be random. Hitaku, just to make sure that he wasn't desyncing them somehow, you might want to do tests with IC's if you're looking for something to test.
lovely find....

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024

Hmm, I will test this today.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Bump - It would be good to have people continue to discuss this. Maybe someone will experience something that will change things.
STFU you clueless noobs. UNBELIEVABLE, this is is just unbelievable. I can't possibly understand what kinda dumb@ss would actually start a thread like this. OMFG

And oh, check out this "Hitaku" dumb@ss, who actually took the bait and telling everybody exactly what a clueless "dumb dumb" he is. Wow, just wow. Good job guys, wow, keep this up, please.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
STFU you clueless noobs. UNBELIEVABLE, this is is just unbelievable. I can't possibly understand what kinda dumb@ss would actually start a thread like this. OMFG

And oh, check out this "Hitaku" dumb@ss, who actually took the bait and telling everybody exactly what a clueless "dumb dumb" he is. Wow, just wow. Good job guys, wow, keep this up, please.
Those are some mighty big words there! You appear to have an outstanding and unbounding knowledge of this game that has only been released for a week, so why don't you share it with us? I'm sure the smash community would appreciate it very much, user "RoyalRook." Surely you know everything about the game, making research threads ultimately pointless. If it doesn't take too much out of your busy life, user "RoyalRook," could you possibly outline everything related to tripping for us? Surely if you have the time to post that then you must not only have the knowledge but also the spare time to assist your fellow smashers.

Sincerely, the SWF clueless noobs

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Those are some mighty big words there! You appear to have an outstanding and unbounding knowledge of this game that has only been released for a week, so why don't you share it with us? I'm sure the smash community would appreciate it very much, user "RoyalRook." Surely you know everything about the game, making research threads ultimately pointless. If it doesn't take too much out of your busy life, user "RoyalRook," could you possibly outline everything related to tripping for us? Surely if you have the time to post that then you must not only have the knowledge but also the spare time to assist your fellow smashers.

Sincerely, the SWF clueless noobs
Hahaha, this goes beyond the game, that's why you are so clueless. You don't know anything, and I don't feel like to bring this mess up again, so just stop ok? It's better if you all stop, trust me, LOL.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Has anyone considered you might be tripping cause your character is making the wrong motion. Like the game registers what your doing and if it would contradics a normal real life motion. Like immidiatly turning during a run your char would just trip cause he put's his feet wrong on the ground. I hope they didn't but I don't know what kind of tracing they use for the characters to move over the ground. It can also be acceleration. I tried to run immidiatly and roll through the platform with pit in those first few seconds which might have caused me to trip. Otherwise it might have something to do with the angle you press the control stick forward? Like press it too diagonal downwards and your character has high chance of tripping. I'm just thinking up some ideas.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Hahaha, this goes beyond the game, that's why you are so clueless. You don't know anything, and I don't feel like to bring this mess up again, so just stop ok? It's better if you all stop, trust me, LOL.
I'm just going to ignore your comments and express how sorry I am for you that you have an attitude like this.

Has anyone considered you might be tripping cause your character is making the wrong motion. Like the game registers what your doing and if it would contradicts a normal real life motion. Like immediately turning during a run your char would just trip cause he puts his feet wrong on the ground. I hope they didn't but I don't know what kind of tracing they use for the characters to move over the ground. It can also be acceleration. I tried to run immediately and roll through the platform with pit in those first few seconds which might have caused me to trip. Otherwise it might have something to do with the angle you press the control stick forward? Like press it too diagonal downwards and your character has high chance of tripping. I'm just thinking up some ideas.
I will mess around with some of these ideas.

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
Tripping is random.

Start making dash dance and eventually you will fall... so there is no point in trying to look for an explanation.

Definitely random.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Ryuker raise a good point maybe we should try walking before going into a dash.
Sure there would be a delay for you as far as charging in but maybe you will be able to dashdance effectively after having a little jog with no tripping

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Okay, I have a theory as well, though I doubt it would work.

Maaaybe the chances of tripping changes depend on the surface the character is standing on. I know that possible "air tripping" thing may outrule this theory, but that seems extremely rare - moreso than normal tripping.

Anyhoo, recall the Olimar - Special Moves update on the DOJO:

From Sakurai:
As long as there is ground beneath your feet, you can reach down and pull up a Pikmin, but be aware that certain Pikmin are more likely to appear in specific types of flooring.
So if such variables for Olimar's Pikmin Pluck could exist, maybe the same for tripping?

Now I don't know if you guys been testing this on the same stages or what.... But if I recall correctly, somebody said the Ice Climbers tripped more often on their glacier. So maybe if you guys take one character and try several different floorings, maybe the tripping odds will change slightly?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Important Info

So it seems that there is indeed a method to this tripping madness. Through the tests that I did I was so focused on ruling things out like tripping while turning, recoil from the joystick causing a slight turn around, the angle that I was pressing the joystick. Because of all of this focus I forgot to rule out the posibility of acceleration.

It seems that if you only run (not dash) you cannot trip. When testing the Ice Climbers I discovered that Nana could indeed trip without Popo doing anything. This was useful to me because in future tests this would give me a 2% chance to reproduce a trip. When testing the run I used Ice Climbers and ran back and forth 500 times; his would account for 1000 times on a normal character which is around 3 times the amount of the maximum dashes it took me to trip.

So, what we now know at this time is that running and more importantly pressing the joystick forward does NOT make someone trip (slamming it forward does, aka smash attacks and dashing). We also know that going into a dash from a standing position does at a 1% chance. However, we do not know if Dashing from a run rather then a standing position will cause tripping. Also, people have made claims of tripping from doing smash attacks using the joystick.

I apologize for missing something so obvious and I will go test some of the unknowns I mentioned now.

Edit:

You can drip when starting a dash from the running animation.

You can trip from doing a smash attack with the control stick. I assume this is because to do the smash you first need to slam the joystick forward (similar to dashing). Just in case I also tested the C-Stick to make sure that it wasn't inputting the same command. After 300 (600 due to the fact that i am using Ice Climbers) smashes I did not trip. I can safely assume that this will not cause it.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Yay!! Well at least we know that one method of movement is safe. Walking and running FTW.

But you've made some serious progress dude. You've mannaged to find not only the exact chance of tripping, but even a solid theory of what causes it. Nice work.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
Tripping is funny.
I never thought that'd actually occur in a fighting game. It's just like real life! An opening, a moment of vulnerability, and bam!--you're dead!
Unless, of course, you're good.

Hitaku! Very good work. Now that's focus.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Looking back on some of my matches I found that most of the time either of us trips it's almost always cause we try to dash immidiatly after something. I tripped once when I barely landed, I tripped twice when I tried to run of a platform. And my opponent tripped when he tried to run the other direction immediatly after a move. It seems very likely this causes it although maybe the trip doesn't always happen you are putting yourself in a danger zone by attempting to act to fast. I really get this idea when I watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB4RkB3nA8g

Again not too sure yet you guys seem to get somewhere though and the 1% chance does seem likely. Just posting whatever idea I can come up with that isn't totally far fetched ^^.

Egaseci

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6004-1540
Has anyone tripped while walking (not running)? Has anyone tripped while running if they started out the movement by walking (in other words not doing a quick dash to reach run speed). Could tripping always be avoided if people walk a step before they run?

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Something add aswell this would make perfect sense if it has to do with the engine or something. Right now we can either dash dance at the very start of a dash(basically around the first real step which is possible in real life too if not completely). If we let it go too long we can't dash in that direction again ( it's really weird in reall life so I guess they went for realism there, you would have to stop first and turn around) hence fox trotting only works in 1 direction. And after the dash we can dash the other direction again but we have to do it after it ( so not in those frames so the character does have to stop if only slightly) Now if we try to do it too fast the game simply makes the character trip cause he tries too do a motion before the other is finished or trips on random so it isn't always punished. This would be the same with landing from a jump cause you still would have to land. If you try to move to quickly the game might make you trip. This might have the same effect after landing after arials.

I dunno if I'm correct but it would be a way I would implement it if I had too incorporate tripping.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Hitaku! Very good work. Now that's focus.
Thanks, this being as large of an issue as it is I figured the community could rest a little easier if we had some answers. =)

is it caused by just performing the dash (tapping a direction really quickly) without continuing to run afterwards?
Yes, the trip is at the starting animation.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
So you could never trip if you walked for one step before accelerating into a run? I'm not saying people would ever actually do that but I'm just curious about the mechanic.
If by run you actually mean run then no. You can not trip by walking or running.

If you mean dash rather then run:
"You can drip when starting a dash from the running animation."

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Something else I notice which doesn't concern tripping directly is that the higher you jump the more your character ( I'm using Pit for this since I got a log of vids of him) bends through his knees when landing which means it takes a bit longer to move after it. If you shorthop he only slightly bends through his knees and almost immidiatly stands still. After and airial he bends pretty far through his knees ( the landing lag you would want to l-cancel) but still recovers fast enoug for you to follow up with a attack ( although some attacks take longer). If I got it right about being in a different animation on the ground and trying to dash out of that might makes you trip then this is interesting as well.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
From my tests it seems that the tripping is just caused by smashing the directional stick forward and nothing else. It doesn't seem that any actual animations alter the tripping effect what so ever. Keep posting ideas though, if something new comes up I would be more then happy to test it.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
Wow good **** being one of the best researchers for brawl hitaku

So to clarify

-You can trip at the start of a dash
-You can trip using an fsmash with the control stick
- it is basically caused by smashing the control stick forward
- You can ONLY trip at the start of an action
- cant trip while walking or running

is this correct?

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I really want to know more information about this. There's footage of yoshi (as a CPU tripping and then catching himself and turning it into a roll) There has to be some use for this move. Even if it's just another dodge move. I'll go find the footage and put it here for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about.

EDIT:

are these the same, yoshi just moves faster? or is yoshi doing something in the middle that mario is failing to do?
I think the footage of the Yoshi might be him teching the trip.
and then Mario is just rolling out of it.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Wow good **** being one of the best researchers for brawl hitaku

So to clarify

-You can trip at the start of a dash
-You can trip using an fsmash with the control stick
- it is basically caused by smashing the control stick forward
- You can ONLY trip at the start of an action
- cant trip while walking or running

is this correct?
That is all correct yes, and thank you for the compliment. =)

I think the footage of the Yoshi might be him teching the trip.
and then Mario is just rolling out of it.
I'm not so sure that Yoshi is teching anything, it just looks like he has a very nice reaction speed (being a computer and all), while the Mario player waits to roll out. If you look closely Yoshi starts the trip animation, lands on his butt, and then precedes to roll out of it.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Trippin could be a very serious technq

If used rite...
With the information we have as of now, it really cannot be used right seeing as it has a 1% chance to happen when doing something that causes it. Because of that you can't force it to happen at any given moment.

Vijin

Smash Ace
So if all those are true, what about the experiment the one guy did where he would pause the game, hold forward, and then un-pause the game? Wouldn't that mean just any type of forward motion, regardless of whether its a dash or a walk, could cause you to trip?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
So if all those are true, what about the experiment the one guy did where he would pause the game, hold forward, and then un-pause the game? Wouldn't that mean just any type of forward motion, regardless of whether its a dash or a walk, could cause you to trip?
That one guy was me lol. When you press pause and hold forward and then un-pause it sends you into a dash. When the game un-pauses it registers that the joystick went from its starting position to the far over position in a split second (thats why you dash out of it rather then just run). Its overall the same thing as smashing the joystick forward.

Teben

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible that the dash has some sort of "hidden stamina gauge" like all the attacks in brawl? That is to say, perhaps the dash "deteriorates" with excessive use in the same way that a strike might lose damage and knock back potential over time?

If that were true, however, what would account for tripping out of a smash attempt?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Is it possible that the dash has some sort of "hidden stamina gauge" like all the attacks in brawl? That is to say, perhaps the dash "deteriorates" with excessive use in the same way that a strike might lose damage and knock back potential over time?

If that were true, however, what would account for tripping out of a smash attempt?
Go back in the thread. There's a video of a Pit tripping as the very first thing he does. Doesn't make it impossible for it to be a stamina thing, but it makes it less likely.

Teben

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... this tripping thing is so weird.

If it's entirely random, why in the world would you put something like that in the game?

It's like if they put in a random chance that Mario wouldn't jump when you hit the jump button in Super Mario Bros. so you just go sprinting straight into holes on occasion. Well, okay, it's not THAT condemning, but you get my point?

Top Bottom