• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping (ink dropping)

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Well, but this would be really annoying, no? If I want to run to my enemy and suddenly grab him... what then? I don't want to walk slowly to him so he knows what I'm planning or something >_>

Tripping is REALLY annoying. They should've never made it, or at least not random.

It will be really stupid to always have to worry that you maybe trip in a tournament. If the enemy has more luck he wins, and we want to put the luck out of it. Sakurai pissed us in the face. I really hate this. It will be annoying even if I just want to train and don't play in a serious match. It isn't funny, it just annoys the **** out of everyone.
If you wanted to get to them fast then yes, you'd need to dash, but if you only need to close a small distance you should walk it rather then dash it if possible. I agree that it sucks but its best to look at it as positively as we can.

Also, like I said before, this is annoying, yes...but it won't break the game by any means. Some time down the line it will end up killing a good player if he doesn't react fast enough, but it doesn't happen in important situations often at all. When you trip you can choose what direction you roll, just make sure not to roll into people.

Again, I'm not saying it doesn't suck and I'm not saying it should have been put in. I think its really stupid as well. However, its something we are forced to deal with so we should do what we can to deal with it.

I've noticed an even higher chance of tripping when hitting people with Ness's down-A. I think each move has its own associated trip chance. Sweeps confirmed for Brawl.

Also, it seems to me that there's more than just ice that causes slips. The edges of the road in Mario Circuit cause trips pretty frequently.
I did a test about this with Lucas's down tilt, the results are on page 17. It's kinda interesting, you may want to read them.

Soviet

Smash Cadet
Tripping was put in to discourage constant dashing, it shouldn't take a genius to figure that out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being unhappy with its addition (especially since it is luck based), but saying it is pointless is rather silly.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Tripping was put in to discourage constant dashing, it shouldn't take a genius to figure that out. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being unhappy with its addition (especially since it is luck based), but saying it is pointless is rather silly.
I agree that they had what to them was a logical explanation for placing it in the game, but I think that its implementation was pointless for their goal. Making worse fighting on the ground does not promote better aerial play, it only limits what one can safely do on the ground. Tripping does not discourage dashing seeing as it's the best method for applying pressure, par none. Because of that its just going to create a situation where you fall at random because people will still need to do it.
Whether they decided that dashing needed to be discouraged, or if they were trying to promote a better aerial game, this method of doing so was not needed. So like I said before, while I agree that they had a reason to put it in, the reason itself is what was pointless in my opinion.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Tripping was put in to discourage constant dashing, it shouldn't take a genius to figure that out..
If that were the case, there are better ways to implement that, like having a 0% chance of tripping at first, but the chance increases if you start dashing too much. From what we know so far, the odds for tripping are equal at all times.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Sakurai is laughing at you all.

And I'm laughing with him.
Thanks for the helpful post. =/

Wait, does this mean tripping can happen in ANY initial dash animation?
As Sonicwave said before me, yes this can happen when starting a dash. It 1% chance when starting a dash animation on normal terrain, as well as a 3% chance when starting a dash on the ice. You can also trip by doing a smash attack without the C-Stick. Same percentages apply.

You're at the final of a very important tourney, then something like this happens (minute 1:51):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g175HCOb2c0

Yes... Awesome indeed... (Warning: Sarcasm)
This makes me wonder, if he had faster reaction timing to the trip, would he have been able to roll away from Hugs? I agree though that that clip is a fine example as to how ******** this is.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Bump - People need to see this thread so they stop making threads explaining tripping. Especially because they are all wrong at least about a few things.

Recently I directed a lot of people here from the tripping post made at IGN forums as well as the post quoting that post here on SWF. Here is a list of where you can find the data/discussion of each topic.

Results for tripping on a normal surface is on page 8 of Tripping (ink dropping).
Results for tripping on a normal surface at 300% on page 10 of Tripping (ink dropping).
Results for tripping from moves are on page 17 of Tripping (ink dropping).
Results for tripping on ice are on page 18 of Tripping (ink dropping).

If I'm forgetting anything please let me know. =P Enjoy.

HenryMartinez

Smash Cadet
Okay, OP in that other thread full of lies said that if you dash and let the stick go neutral, that constitutes as a possible chance of tripping, so my solution for that is not to let it go to neutral. I don't own the game or anything, just my two cents. Does that work?

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I really wish people wouldn't refer to pages when stating where something is in a thread. I currently have 8 pages in the thread because I prefer as many posts on a page as possible. Reffering to the number of the post w/in the thread would be much more effective. Almost as effective as editing the info into the first post.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Okay, OP in that other thread full of lies said that if you dash and let the stick go neutral, that constitutes as a possible chance of tripping, so my solution for that is not to let it go to neutral. I don't own the game or anything, just my two cents. Does that work?
The trip comes from pressing the joystick fully forward from its neutral position. You need to do it fast enough so that you can A. Do a smash attack or B. do a dash. Sadly is has nothing to do with the releasing of the joystick.

I might be late to post this but if you look closely you can see that Yoshi ukemi it like he did in the update.
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I'm familiar with the term Ukemi, but I'm not sure what you want me to look closely at.

I really wish people wouldn't refer to pages when stating where something is in a thread. I currently have 8 pages in the thread because I prefer as many posts on a page as possible. Referring to the number of the post w/in the thread would be much more effective. Almost as effective as editing the info into the first post.
I suppose I should have said what post number they were rather then the pages numbers. I apologize for the inconvenience.

SqueakyMetal

Smash Cadet
umm i got a question.... if you are really close to the edge, and lets say you do a smash with the controller stick(not c-stick).........if you trip forwards, does it send you off the edge to ur death, or does the edge act as an invisible wall while u r tripping.

i guess the same could go for dashing. lets say you dash near the edge, and before your character runs off the edge(he is still in dash animation) he trips and goes off. if you can trip off the edge like that, is it recoverable, or is it as if you had just used up+B?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
umm i got a question.... if you are really close to the edge, and lets say you do a smash with the controller stick(not c-stick).........if you trip forwards, does it send you off the edge to ur death, or does the edge act as an invisible wall while u r tripping.

i guess the same could go for dashing. lets say you dash near the edge, and before your character runs off the edge(he is still in dash animation) he trips and goes off. if you can trip off the edge like that, is it recoverable, or is it as if you had just used up+B?
I don't know this for sure, but I'm willing to bed that the edge will prevent you from falling.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
The trip comes from pressing the joystick fully forward from its neutral position. You need to do it fast enough so that you can A. Do a smash attack or B. do a dash. Sadly is has nothing to do with the releasing of the joystick.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I'm familiar with the term Ukemi, but I'm not sure what you want me to look closely at.

I suppose I should have said what post number they were rather then the pages numbers. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Ukemi is the noob's term for teching, as announced on the dojo.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Teching is what it has been called in the smash scene since SSB64. Ukemi is a childish word used by Sakurai. Also, in what games other than smash does teching specifically exist?
Ukemies exist in Soul Calibur, Melty Blood, EFZ, Guilty Gear, Dalkstalkers and I think KoF and some of the Street Fighter games too, and are a basic function in MUGEN. Most of them work exactly like they do in Smash.

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Teching is what it has been called in the smash scene since SSB64. Ukemi is a childish word used by Sakurai. Also, in what games other than smash does teching specifically exist?

Ukemies exist in Soul Calibur, Melty Blood, EFZ, Guilty Gear, Dalkstalkers and I think KoF and some of the Street Fighter games too, and are a basic function in MUGEN. Most of them work exactly like they do in Smash.

NessBounder is right Witchking. Since the term Ukemi applies to many games, and tech is a name WE (the competitive smash community) gave the move, I think it's fair to say that Ukemi is the true name

I remember one time I played Soul Calibur II right after playing Smash so my hands were still in Smash mode, and I tried to tech after a fall and it worked and I started laughing.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
i wounder if you could controll it would it be more of like a dodge then a trip? say fox comes dashing at you with a flying kick and you "trip" then he'd miss you wouldnt he?
....or you could just use an actual dodge like a normal person

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
I assume you don't know much about other fighting game scenes then. Nessbounder is right, Ukemi is used a great deal in many other fighting games. Teching is also used, but Ukemi is often the "correct" term.

Zek

Smash Ace
Ukemi is the real name. But teching is easier to use in casual conversation IMHO.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Both words are correct since they both apply to the same thing.
Ukemi is the original word but both are correct.
Trying to say Ukemi is the right word is the equivalent of saying happy is a better word than gay.
or that weird is better than queer.
Both are the same so this whole argument over which is the "correct" term is pointless.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Also, Ukemi is the general catch-all-word for how to take a proper fall in Japanese hand-to-hand martial arts.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Hm. I've got an idea. How about everyone shut the freak up about "ukemi" and just call it what we've been calling it for years aka teching. If you can't do that, well, honestly no one cares. Just stop spamming this thread with this pointless debate that carries absolutely no meaning whatsoever. Both terms are technically correct, so people who are familiar using teching for years will continue to say it. Most people continue to use teching, powershielding, phantom hit, and short hop all in place of what sakurai has laid down as their "official" names, because their "official" names aren't the names the community decided on years ago. If you like "ukemi," then fine. Use it. We know what you're talking about. But don't try to force it on us.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Ukemi is the noob's term for teching, as announced on the dojo.
Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up for me. =)

I might be late to post this but if you look closely you can see that yoshi ukemi it like he did in the update.
Now that I understand, that was him teching from a tumble or something else. That wasn't a trip.

Hm. I've got an idea. How about everyone shut the freak up about "ukemi" and just call it what we've been calling it for years aka teching. If you can't do that, well, honestly no one cares. Just stop spamming this thread with this pointless debate that carries absolutely no meaning whatsoever. Both terms are technically correct, so people who are familiar using teching for years will continue to say it. Most people continue to use teching, powershielding, phantom hit, and short hop all in place of what sakurai has laid down as their "official" names, because their "official" names aren't the names the community decided on years ago. If you like "ukemi," then fine. Use it. We know what you're talking about. But don't try to force it on us.
Agreed, lets please stay on topic please. To many other threads are filled with naming garbage, just call it what you will and move on. So far this thread has been great about keeping posts on topic, lets not ruin it. ^^

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
I'd like confirmation about my question. Can you run without dashing? In Melee, every character had three speeds of walking depending on how far you tilt the analog stick, and if you tap it, you dash into a run. So in Brawl, are there three walking speeds or two + running?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I'd like confirmation about my question. Can you run without dashing? In Melee, every character had three speeds of walking depending on how far you tilt the analog stick, and if you tap it, you dash into a run. So in Brawl, are there three walking speeds or two + running?
There are 3 speeds in Brawl, walking, running (more like jogging or something lol), and then dashing.

Top Bottom