• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping (ink dropping)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is it common knowledge you can trip in the air yet? 'Cause I've done it. Fell straight down. Once, I tripped when I got attacked by a CPU. Tripping is that strange. It can happen at any time at any place.

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
lol...is that label necessary? "Ink Dropping"??? hahahah...oooomg.

Tripping (or "Ink Dropping" for the sheeple out there) seems to be completely random as of now. I wiggle the stick, run back and forth, and I don't trip on cue.

One thing that I noticed is after I was spamming a FSmash with Zamus standing still like 5 times, I began to run forward from my standing position and ended up tripping... But I couldn't really make it happen again.

My guess is that if you spam moves over and over or something, you'll trip when you run...I don't think this is correct, but it makes more sense to me than anything I can think of. I couldn't get this to happen consistently, but it happened to me a lot using this method.

It seems (based on my guess) that it's a system to "punish" you for spamming moves. Maybe I'm completely and utterly wrong...but I might be on to something.

And if I'm right about this, please don't name it after me (not that anyone would), I don't need to stroke my ego by having it called the ****ing "Jupitrip" or something pathetic like that.

Froilen

Smash Apprentice
Is it common knowledge you can trip in the air yet? 'Cause I've done it. Fell straight down. Once, I tripped when I got attacked by a CPU. Tripping is that strange. It can happen at any time at any place.
mmmmm it sound like a Footstool Jump mmmm are you shure that is tripping?:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
mmmmm it sound like a Footstool Jump mmmm are you shure that is tripping?:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
Yes. Because I got stuck in the "I tripped"-animation once I'd fallen to the ground. Twice, I air-tripped without anyone around to Footstool Jump me. The third time, I got dashattacked, not Footstooled (and I tripped because of the dashattack... or it just happened at the exact same time).

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
So, not only do we randomly trip on the ground but we trip in the air to?

Yuna have you found any cause as to why you would trip, any pattern or anything other then the ones listed so far.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
As far as I can tell, tripping is indeed 100% random (which is very disconcerting as it can happen in the air, there goes a stock).

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
ok ok ok, time to shed some light.

NO, tripping is NOT random. It happens as a result of either 1) Changing direction to abruptly, but also at the wrong time so that you dont do a correct dash dance or 2) You mash a direction to abruptly without an actual move command, i.e. if you screw up as the player, and mash forward without B or A at the perfect time. Its basically "do this right, or prepare for shenanigans."

Can you cancel it? YES PEOPLE. How you ask? As a character trips, you will notice a frame at which point the character sort of spins or flips onto their ***. This is the point where a well timed grab or up B can be done. This whole tripping thing was more than likely added as a way to make dash dancing more difficult, as well as to punish the player for not being precise. This game is supposed to bridge the gap between casual and competitive players. Sakurai wants it so that if you are going to be competitive, you have to really earn it.

Anyways, yes it can be canceled. Its just a matter of being freakishly good enough to do it.

Heres the most important point though: Canceling it is very difficult, and was more than likely not intentionally implemented by the developers. HOWEVER! tripping is, regardless of canceling, controllable and if mastered adds a whole different dynamic to a player's mind game skills. ITS A FEINT PEOPLE! think about it guys. every competitive fighter includes universal characteristics that enhance competitive play. Anyone recall feinting or stalling unblockables in soul caliber 2 on up? Highly advanced players use it all the time. If mastered, tripping could be used as a fake-out to force your opponents move, allowing you to read them and possibly go in for the win. When a character trips, they dont stay down but for a split second. it leaves great opportunity for you opponent to flinch just long enough for you to grab them which sets up for a finisher. In retrospect, I dont think canceling it is what the developers meant for us to do with tripping. learn how to do it, then use it as a mind game. dash at your opponent, make them go for the shield grab, then trip before you get to them and attack when they let it down to punish you, or grab if they leave the shield up.
I have no idea where you are getting this information. Tripping is random, I have tested time and time again. It has nothing to do with turning or anything else other then the simple press of forward. As for the trip animation, its random so I am not sure about the canceling effect then. I can tell you now though that you will not have the reaction time possible for that.

I'm not trying to be rude when you say this but it sounds like this is how you would like the tripping to be implemented. It can not be controlled by any of the methods you said if it can be at all (which I don't believe it can). Trust me, I would like it if it was that way also. Sadly it's not.

That is weird, I have been playing the game non stop for a few days now and have never had anything like that happen.

Yes. Because I got stuck in the "I tripped"-animation once I'd fallen to the ground. Twice, I air-tripped without anyone around to Footstool Jump me. The third time, I got dashattacked, not Footstooled (and I tripped because of the dashattack... or it just happened at the exact same time).
Again, I have never tripped from anyone attacking me either. The only time I have ever been placed in the trip animation from an attack was from the knock back of Falco's reflector. You probably already said all you could involving what happened, but if you could go into detail at all that would be great. Could you tell me what character this happened with?

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
Wtf I've never seen anyone trip in the air in any videos. So you just suddenly become incapacitated and fall to the ground?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Again, I have never tripped from anyone attacking me either. The only time I have ever been placed in the trip animation from an attack was from the knock back of Falco's reflector. You probably already said all you could involving what happened, but if you could go into detail at all that would be great. Could you tell me what character this happened with?
Peach (as she's my main, so I've been using her the most).

Wtf I've never seen anyone trip in the air in any videos. So you just suddenly become incapacitated and fall to the ground?
Pretty much. It's never happeend to me without any ground below me, though, so I don't know if tripping could ever induce a suicide.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Peach (as she's my main, so I've been using her the most).
The ONLY thing I could think of at the moment is it having something to do with floating, but I dunno. I have a friend who has been using peach almost non stop and I have never seen this. Please keep in mind I'm not calling you a liar or anything at the moment, I'm just doing my best to figure this out. If I am coming across that way I apologize.

I am going to test some things now that involve this.

Edit: Could you tell me if this happened when jumping or in float?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The ONLY thing I could think of at the moment is it having something to do with floating, but I dunno. I have a friend who has been using peach almost non stop and I have never seen this. Please keep in mind I'm not calling you a liar or anything at the moment, I'm just doing my best to figure this out. If I am coming across that way I apologize.

I am going to test some things now that involve this.

Edit: Could you tell me if this happened when jumping or in float?
I think I was floating all three times (as I do that a lot to get through the SSE faster).

everybest

Smash Cadet
4 hours of SSE and I didn't see it happen once.

It happened 5 times in 15 minutes of spamming foward + B with Zelda in training mode.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I think I was floating all three times (as I do that a lot to get through the SSE faster).
Hmm, I just tapped forward 650 times while floating with no luck. Thats about double the amount of times it took for the highest number of dashes before a trip in my test. Has this also happened to you in VS mode? Maybe it has something to do with SSE or an enemy had some weird ability?

4 hours of SSE and I didn't see it happen once.

It happened 5 times in 15 minutes of spamming foward + B with Zelda in training mode.
Weird, maybe it doesn't happen the same in SSE. Spamming forward+B would cause the normal 1% though.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmm, I just tapped forward 650 times while floating with no luck. Thats about double the amount of times it took for the highest number of dashes before a trip in my test. Has this also happened to you in VS mode? Maybe it has something to do with SSE or an enemy had some weird ability?
One of those times, I was actually floating staticly by the time the Inkdrop occurred. It hasn't just happened in SSE, it's happened in Classic as well (on New Pork City, for instance).

everybest

Smash Cadet
By spamming the move I am sure he was holding down forward and pressing B. If thats the case he would have moved forward a little sometimes.
I did both, but I *think* it happened more when i didnt move, but i could be wrong.

Edit: He's probably right. It's hard to forward + b in place without moving foward a tiny bit

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
One of those times, I was actually floating staticly by the time the Inkdrop occurred. It hasn't just happened in SSE, it's happened in Classic as well (on New Pork City, for instance).
Man, I really can't seem to replicate this. I tried to go back in forth and well as spamming random buttons in VS mode and I also tried it in Classic mode (well beyond the amount it takes to do a ground trip). Do you have any form of video recording that you could use to capture this?

As for worrying about this, I have had brawl for about 6 days and I have been playing almost non stop like I stated before. I have never seen this happen, so it may only be something rare in classic and SSE. I don't think we need to worry about it to much.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Again, I have never tripped from anyone attacking me either. The only time I have ever been placed in the trip animation from an attack was from the knock back of Falco's reflector.
The first hit of Snake's ftilt causes tripping pretty consistently :bee:

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
The first hit of Snake's ftilt causes tripping pretty consistently :bee:
with this and with that zelda Fb trip , is tripping a punishment for spamming 1 move ? just like the -1% of damage per use ?

I dont like this , but if u can roll out of it or atack its not that bad , but still bad

Zek

Smash Ace
Have you guys tested with different speeds of moving the stick? Is tripping just from a dash/smash motion or any kind of pushing the stick?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Have you guys tested with different speeds of moving the stick? Is tripping just from a dash/smash motion or any kind of pushing the stick?
I have tried to tap the stick lightly, the results were the same.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
with this and with that zelda Fb trip , is tripping a punishment for spamming 1 move ? just like the -1% of damage per use ?

I dont like this , but if u can roll out of it or atack its not that bad , but still bad
I posted on the last page about this.
By spamming the move I am sure he was holding down forward and pressing B. If thats the case he would have moved forward a little sometimes.
Sorry for the double post >< Thought I was editing the old one. =/

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
So, anybody want to go with the petition idea. This could probably be fixed in a patch, but it probably won't be because Sakurai thinks it's funny. It'd be cool if we could get it taken out though. Either that or we'll just have to deal with yet another random and unremovable thing in competative play.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
So, anybody want to go with the petition idea. This could probably be fixed in a patch, but it probably won't be because Sakurai thinks it's funny. It'd be cool if we could get it taken out though. Either that or we'll just have to deal with yet another random and unremovable thing in competative play.
If you start one I will sign it. =P

The chances of it actually fixing anything is honestly slim to none, but you never know. It really can't hurt to try I guess.

That being said, if it does stay in I really don't think it will break the game in any way. Its a stupid feature that I wish was removed, but if it stays I'll still be able to live if it stays in.

Egaseci

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6004-1540
Does anyone have a video where someone trips after they have successfully landed an attack in the last few seconds? From what I've noticed it seems that a lot of the trips are from people who haven't landed a hit on someone recently. Perhaps it was implemented as a way to punish people who try to run away for a period of time (in order to stall and have the match end or something), or perhaps a way to punish people who miss multiple attacks (make them clumsy). The video with Pit falling in the first second seems to contradict this but I figured I'd throw this idea out there anyways.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Does anyone have a video where someone trips after they have successfully landed an attack in the last few seconds? From what I've noticed it seems that a lot of the trips are from people who haven't landed a hit on someone recently. Perhaps it was implemented as a way to punish people who try to run away for a period of time (in order to stall and have the match end or something), or perhaps a way to punish people who miss multiple attacks (make them clumsy). The video with Pit falling in the first second seems to contradict this but I figured I'd throw this idea out there anyways.
I have had it happen to me directly after attacking someone.

AllStars

Smash Cadet
man that would suck, but wat if u could do an infinite shine wit fox by trippin and shining????????? just being stupid

Gum

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea where you are getting this information. Tripping is random, I have tested time and time again. It has nothing to do with turning or anything else other then the simple press of forward. As for the trip animation, its random so I am not sure about the canceling effect then. I can tell you now though that you will not have the reaction time possible for that.

I'm not trying to be rude when you say this but it sounds like this is how you would like the tripping to be implemented. It can not be controlled by any of the methods you said if it can be at all (which I don't believe it can). Trust me, I would like it if it was that way also. Sadly it's not.

That is weird, I have been playing the game non stop for a few days now and have never had anything like that happen.

All I have to say in response is try agian, but this time pay close attention to what position your control stick is at when you actually trip. That will explain most of what im talking about.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
All I have to say in response is try again, but this time pay close attention to what position your control stick is at when you actually trip. That will explain most of what I'm talking about.
When doing my test I was so **** precise with how I was pressing the control stick. I placed my finger at the back of the joystick to prevent any form of recoil, I lightly press forward ONLY enough to make me move, and I also press start before I move every time because Magus420 suggested that it could help.

So, I have done my tests precise like you have asked, I still see no proof in what your speaking. One slight tap forward will make your character trip at a 1% chance. This is the reality.

Edit: If you can bring me some kind of proof via video or a method that I or anyone else can reproduce then I will start listening to what you have to say, but until then please do not post with your information while presenting it as "fact". Believe me, if you can bring me any of that I would be more then happy to listen. I really do want this to be controllable.

Do keep in mind that a lot of the people on these boards do not have the game at the moment, so they don't know what to believe. I personally think that the current purpose of this thread is to figure out a way to A. Control the trip or B. Cancel it. Incorrect information will not help us with this goal.

Njs523

Smash Cadet
this is just a random bit of information i noticed while playing brawl with my friends today - while playing as Lucas, I would do taunts when the match ended (usually the forward control pad one) and he would occasionally trip instead of doing a taunt. I found it very strange, because it happened multiple times in different matches when i was not moving at all.
I also won a large number of matches consecutively when I was doing this, so maybe it has to do with how well you are doing in the match? Might the game throw in a trip every so often to try and balance things slightly? I really hope its not actually random :ohwell:

Mama

Smash Ace
this is just a random bit of information i noticed while playing brawl with my friends today - while playing as Lucas, I would do taunts when the match ended (usually the forward control pad one) and he would occasionally trip instead of doing a taunt. I found it very strange, because it happened multiple times in different matches when i was not moving at all.
I also won a large number of matches consecutively when I was doing this, so maybe it has to do with how well you are doing in the match? Might the game throw in a trip every so often to try and balance things slightly? I really hope its not actually random :ohwell:
That actually sounds pretty plausible and I actually would not be surprised at all. We already have moves that diminish in effectiveness when over used so why not have the game literally trip you up to keep you on your toes. It may even give people the incentive to stay moving in a match when they're winning... but who knows.

Egaseci

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6004-1540
Hmm, thats not a bad idea. It seems that the video where Pit trips at the beginning of the round (less than one second) would contradict it though. Perhaps each player has a small % chance of tripping and that % increases for the leader. It wouldn't be unlike the developers to do this considering the free final smash thing they added.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Wait...did you trip during the actual taunt? When you say it happened to you multiple times in different matches without moving, what were you doing then O.o? The trip has two animations, one falling the direction your going and then you sitting on your butt. It would only make since that because one of the animations of the trip is falling forward...that it would require movement.

This is again something that I have never seen while playing. Could you possibly get a video of this?

Edit: Lol, when starting the test for this I discovered that Lucas's up taunt is a trip animation. As for the times you were just standing there, I am guessing you must have just slightly pressed forward without realizing.

As for the tripping having to do with who's winning, the chances are the same for both. I have tested this. The method I used to test this was playing an actual match with a friend who sucked. When I was about to 4 stock him we stopped and I did the forward pressing tests with both players. The results still supported the 1% for both.

Top Bottom