• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping adds depth to smash brothers

Vall3y

Smash Lord
While I doubt adding depth were Sakurai's intentions, I think tripping adds depth to smash brothers, by giving a reason to choose walking over running.
Tripping balances between overpowered running, and walking. While in Melee the only advantage you had when walking is that you could smash or tilt instantly, in Brawl you are also risk-free of tripping.
The game now rewards you for recognizing situations where running isn't necessary, adds some technical depth (e.g: Falco's chaingrab is harder but better when walking), and maybe something else that I've missed.
All that without mentioning the aspect of punishing tripping which is another technical aspect added to the game.

Discuss.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Brawl's depth compared to other fighting games is as high as the Everest.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Please don't reply with irrelevant posts
You talked about depth in brawl. I had a funny thought about it, I wrote it. If it was irrelevant, why did I get the idea because of your post?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Running is overpowered? when was running overpowered? the only broken aspect of running was that Fox would run away from everyone else and spam lasers, but they already immobilized Fox when he uses his Blaster which I believe was a big enough Nerf to resolve that problem. If tripping was intended to serve a competitive purpose other than discouraging competition, it was to make players participate in more aerial battles, but they could have done other things that aren't gay to accomplish this result.

You give Sakurai too much credit though. Tripping is dumb and doesn't happen quite enough to convince players not to run. What does convince players not to run is the superiority of camping which makes approaching a weak option.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Since when did running become so overpowered that it needed to be nerfed? I'm sorry, but IMO tripping adds no depth to the game. It's just another luck factor.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
Tripping sucks. So many times have I tripped right in front of my opponent and got smashed right after. I suppose it kind of does add more depth, but in all honestly, I think that the game would be better without it, or at least it should have an option to turn tripping off.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
why is everyone ignoring the reasons i stated with the the saying 'tripping is gay'?
running is overpowered compared to walking, its a fact no one used walking because there was barely any reason to do so !

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Tripping is the ultimate mindgame. I'm a good player unlike you noobs so I know when I'm gonna trip and I fake my opponents out.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
They could have gave running *stamina* or something so that the char slowed down after continuosly running for a certain amount of time if running is THAT broken. But no,they put tripping in.

It wasn't to add depth,it was to make it more casual. "Haha I tripped!" or some crap like that. As a Sonic mainer I absolutly despise it.

@ post above mine: Tripping is completly random you moron. -_-

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Well, why walk when you can run right? Many people don't like to walk because it slows down the battle and ruins any chance of stringing attacks together.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
They could have gave running *stamina* or something so that the char slowed down after continuosly running for a certain amount of time if running is THAT broken. But no,they put tripping in.

It wasn't to add depth,it was to make it more casual. "Haha I tripped!" or some crap like that. As a Sonic mainer I absolutly despise it.

@ post above mine: Tripping is completly random you moron. -_-
No it isn't noob.

Seriously, you're just angry you don't know when you're gonna trip. You trip for a reason.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Tripping is the ultimate mindgame. I'm a good player unlike you noobs so I know when I'm gonna trip and I fake my opponents out.
EDIT: Lol satire.

People walk ALL THE TIME. Walking is the BEST way to space. If you want to dodge a predictable attack, instead of doing a laggy rolling animation, why not just walk a few paces to the left.

And unlike running, you can do any attack out of walking. Watch vids of Pros to see what I'm talking about. So no, Running is not overpowered in anyway, WTF???????????????

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
"In 2009, an unknown glitch in Brawl will become active and cause non-stop tripping every second. The tournament scene will come to an end and the community will collapse. All the veterans will have secured the last known copies of Melee and will retreat to an island that will rise above the Brawl world, and the noobs will look up and shout, 'Save us!', and we’ll whisper, 'No.'"

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
"In 2009, an unknown glitch in Brawl will become active and cause non-stop tripping every second. The tournament scene will come to an end and the community will collapse. All the veterans will have secured the last known copies of Melee and will retreat to an island that will rise above the Brawl world, and the noobs will look up and shout, 'Save us!', and we’ll whisper, 'No.'"
*secures copy of melee*

let it fall....NAO!!

Lol, cuz that's the only way Ike's going to hit with an Fsmash.
your opponent must be really stupid or predictable if he gets hit any other way /sarcasm

popsofctown

Smash Champion
it's a good thought... but random variables are totally and wholly unacceptable in a competitive game

Vall3y

Smash Lord
play2win and youll see why your points are complete bull
hahaha what does that have ANYTHING to do with this topic?
i dont blame the players for using running over walking in melee, but in brawl the addition of tripping makes running worse compared to walking, so its not the obvious choise even for the p2w player

or are you talking about the luck factor? sirlin himself once explained how luck can be a good factor to competitive games so stfu, pwned gg no re

and stop crying sakurai is stupid, we know that
the thing is TRIPPIGN ADDS DEPTH even if it could have been done in a better smarter less luck based way, ok~?

worst thread ever

btw, walking causes you to trip too
nope, get your facts straight kid

and for the record im anti brawl too ;) but that doesnt have anything to do with the topic so stfu with the irrelevent spam!!!

kr3wman

Smash Master
We have hijacked your thread. Prepare to get assimilated.

EDIT : So, who likes Guilty Gear? I can't find it for the wii. Does it work with the GC Controller?

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i've only had three good experiences with tripping.

1. enemy tripped, allowing me to vanish kill him.
2. enemy tripped, allowing me to fsmash him as samus.
3. nana tripped, allowing an easy ice climber desynch.

really, i think tripping should be removed as a running aspect, and instead be connected to dtilts, and bananas...

perhaps it was intended also to add some "realness", but people don't trip that much on accident at all, and CERTAINLY not experienced fighters...

Leprechaun_Drunk

Smash Journeyman
Don't ruin Watchmen by taking dialogue and twisting it into stupid Smash Bros. humor.

10watchmen>smash

Top Bottom