• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trigun Mafia (GAME OVER! TOWN WINS! Night Actions/Results/PMs posted!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronike

Smash Ace
No, we were trying to go with as random deaths as was possible to keep information away from the town.

DiamondFalcon

Smash Journeyman
I was disappointed with Eor's list as well. You can't just lynch someone without giving them a chance to claim, just because they're on a predetermined list. I was gonna give Camo the chance to claim but you guys had to vote him too quickly. Also I just felt Smashman was town throughout the game, but I was convinced that he was Elendira whenever he claimed to be a girl without claiming a role. Whenever you're about to die like that, why hide your role?

Also, Mediocre and KevinM were suspicious to me all throughout the game, mostly attitude and lack of trust in myself. But I would definitely given you the chance to explain yourself, there was no need to block my vote. Perhaps we would have still killed one of you, but I still would have let you post your defense, as I did for spam_master.

DiamondFalcon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, sorry for jumping to conclusions. If I had seen your roleclaim earlier, I wouldn't have voted you.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
GAME OVER

Spam master (2): Eor, DiamondFalcon
Eor (1): Spam master

Vash (Eor) and Hoppered (DF) slowly approach Livio (Spam), mentally preparing themselves to
make the final, decisive kill.

"Guys! Stop! What are you doing?! It's me, Livio! Wolfwood's pal! Vash, you know me, you trust me right?! You can't turn on me, I'm your friend! I'd never try to kill you, or your friends! I hate the Gung Ho Guns! You know I'd never murder all these people!" shouts Livio in desperation.

"I know Livio, I know." sighs Vash. He takes a deep breath and continues. "I know it wasn't you Livio. I trust you. However, there is... someone else who is very close to you... he's who we want."

"No! No! I don't know who you're talking about! It's me Vash! Livio! You can't kill me! There's no one else! Hoppered is the guy you want! What makes you think he so easily joined your side! He's the murderer!" Livio screams, his frustration and anger building.

"****it Livio there is someone else and you know it! It's Razlo! Razlo is who has been trying to kill people! You may not be able to control him, but he needs to be stopped!" Vash retorted becoming angry himself.

"Enough of this." grunts Hoppered. He then swiftly tucks himself into his shield and propels himself toward Livio with a devastating velocity. Livio deftly dodges the attack.

"See! I told you he was the enemy Vash! He's trying to kill me, and then he'll kill you too! He'll...he'll..."

Livio falls to the ground and begins to convulse violently grasping at his head as if he were he severe pain. He suddenly stops, and slowly rises to his feet once again. However, his face is contorted beyond recognition. He is no longer Livio; Razlo has arrived to defend his existence. He quickly brings to arms the three guns he had carried with him from his back, wielding a third with an arm sprouting from his back that seemed to have materialized out of no where.

"So you are going to betray me, is that it Vash? Oh well, I suppose I'll just have to kill you both then. What a shame." Razlo growls.

Quickly taking aim at Vash with all three firearms, he unloads all that he has in Vash's direction. Luckily, Hoppered dives in the way of the stream of bullets, successfully blocking a large portion of the projectiles. Vash then deftly dives out from behind the protection of Hoppered and fires five shots in quick procession, successfully hitting all three of Razlo's arms causing him to drop his weapons and his two knee caps to cripple him. Razlo crumples in pain and falls to the ground. Vash gets up from lying on his side, brushes himself off, and walks over to the fallen Razlo.

"You can't kill me Vash. You won't. You never have and you never will. You'll have to get your savior to do it." Razlo manages to mumble, followed by a slight chuckle.

Vash raises his gun, spins the loader, and places the barrel to Razlo's head. The loader clicks into place, with the final bullet of his six shooter waiting to be fired.

"The final bullet, for the final evil." Vash states cooly, almost to himself.

Razlo's eye's bulge in panic. He tries to reach for the barrel and move it away but a shot rings out before his hand is even halfway there. It falls the the ground, lifeless.

"I'm sorry Rem, but it was for the good of this planet. It was to protect them. I know that that's what you wanted in the end."

Vash drops his gun and walks away toward the blazing sun in the distance, leaving his final enemy and greatest sin in the swirling sands of the past.

***************************************************************************************

Spam master was Livio the Double Fang/Razlo the Tri-Punisher of Death, Independently aligned.

The remaining players are Eor [Vash the Stampede, town aligned] and DiamondFalcon [Hoppered the Gauntlet, town aligned]. Congratulations to the town! You've won!

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really hope you all enjoyed the game guys. I'll be updating again later with basically a whole slew of game info. Roles night choice, the night info PM's I sent, etc.

I think it'll help you guys understand just why things happened as they did and how much effort I put in to try and make this game as balanced as possible. XP

Ronike

Smash Ace
Good. I did not want the independents to win, just like I said. Im sad we didnt win, but it wasnt the first ever ind. win.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, it's hella tough to win in endgame as a lone independent. Reminds of a certain someone in another mafia game that was played here. >_>

But anyway, well played by all sides. This game was very entertaining to run. ^_^

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
Ok guys....

I apologize for neglecting this so much....=(

I've been really really really busy lately with Thanksgiving break and all...

So, this calls for make up time.

I will be signed onto AIM most of the time tonight and tommorow...

Feel free to join in and message me!

And you can train your character there.

If I get more than one IM at once, that would call for a chatroom!

Only one rule I have while training in a chatroom..

Wait your turn, and try not to type during someone else's turn.

With that said, I'll be picking up where we left off in storymode as soon as things clear up here at home.

I'm honestly surprised people were still posting and didn't give on this yet...

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
Following New Members Added To Intro Post:

Demoncaterpie

vggdrasil325

Pikaville

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Roles

Town:

Vash The Stampede (Eorlingas): Your are Vash the stampede, the main character of Trigun. You are a plant, albeit a special one that has taken human form, and have inhuman reflexes, speed, and dexterity. However, you are a staunch pacifist and absolutely refuse to kill anyone for any reason.You are town aligned and are impervious to all adverse night abilities. However, you may never be the voter that leads to a player's lynch. If you do so you will kill yourself afterwards in grief.

Mary-Anne Alurkaizen (smashman90): You are Mary-Anne Alurkaizen who despite being minor character in the show, is truly the only character that can be recognized as a genuine law enforcer, as shown by her investigation of Cliff Caesar's water scandal. As such, you are the Cop, town aligned. You may choose one person to investigate each night, and their alignment will be returned to you. If you choose not to target anyone on a given night, please send me a PM informing me.

Meryl Strife (Mediocre): You are Meryl Strife, a traveling representative of the Bernardelli Insurance Corporation, in search of Vash The Stampede. You are town-aligned, and in a masonry with Milly Thompson, your friend and co-worker. You may communicate with each other privately at any time in any form outside of the game, so long as you are both alive. Furthermore, under your coat you carry an ample supply of Derringers which you can use to wound people. You won't shoot to kill, but you can wound anyone during the night with them. Select anyone (or no one) each night to wound and send me your choice via PM. Your selection will be vote blocked.

Milly Thompson (KevinM): You are Milly Thompson, a traveling representative of the Bernardelli Insurance Corporation, in search of Vash The Stampede. You are town-aligned, and in a masonry with Meryl Strife, your friend and co-worker. You may communicate with each other privately at any time in any form outside of the game, so long as you are both alive. Furthermore, what you lack in intelligence you make up for in strength, and carry a large "stun gun" which you can use every night to role block one player. In order to use this ability please send me your target via PM each night. If you choose not to target anyone on a given night, please inform me of that as well.

Nicholas D. Wolfwood (commonyoshi): You are Nicholas D. Wolfwood, a former Gung Ho Gun who formed a friendship with Vash. You always carry some handy regeneration vials around with you, allowing you to survive all but the more dire attacks. Thus, you are impervious to all adverse night abilities other than death. You are town aligned.

Kuroneko-sama (Chill) : You are Kuroneko-sama, i.e. the random, omnipresent black cat. On top of the fact that you appear in every episode, you are a cat, and as such have nine lives. However that would be quite unfair in this game, so I'm going to shoot you 7 times and bring you down to two. XP Voila, you must now be struck down twice to be eliminated. You are town aligned.

Rem Saverem (Blazer): You are Rem Saverem. Well, her spirit that is. You are the epitome of innocence and love. You sacrificed yourself to save the human race from complete annihilation at the hands of Millions Knives. You now have the ability to protect people from death, making you the Doctor (town aligned). You may choose one person, other than yourself, to protect each night. You MUST choose someone to protect. Send me your choice each night. If you cannot choose, or forget to, I will choose for you randomly.

Rai-Dei the Blade (camo-man): You are Rai Dei the Blade, and anachronous samurai living in a wild western setting. You used to be one of the Gung-Ho Guns, but your strong sense of justice caused you to leave the group. You now fight for good, making you town aligned, but you also seek knowledge that you believe one can only learn when facing death, or watching the deaths of others. As such you are the town vigilante. Each night you may submit to me the name of one player to attempt to kill. You may also choose not to kill anyone. If and when you kill a town aligned player, you lose this ability, since you will "learn nothing" from their death and become discouraged. Please inform me of your choice via PM.

Midvalley the Hornfreak (Pythag): You are Midvalley the Hornfreak. Formerly Legato's bodyguard, you have decided to leave the Gung-Ho Guns. You possess a special saxophone that you carry with you at all times. You are town aligned, and each night you may choose a note to play on your saxophone. Depending on the note, the special powers of your saxophone may activate. You may pick any note on the A through G scale, including sharps and flats. Submit your choice to me each night via PM. You are town aligned.

Dominique the Cyclops (Kada): Formerly a Gung-Ho Gun, you were defeated by Vash an fled the organization in shame. You possess the Demon's Eye which allows you to completely paralyze anyone looking into it. Using this ability, you may select one person each night, and if that person targets you with a harmful ability, you will paralyze them and make your escape. Send me your choice each night via PM. You are town aligned.

Hoppered the Gauntlet(DiamondFalcon):
Formerly a Gung-Ho Gun, bent on killing Vash for revenge, you decided to leave the organization when you realized that the July City incident that killed your loved one was the fault of Knives and the Gung-Ho Guns, not Vash. You possess an nearly impenetrable shield that you can use to defend yourself and others from attacks. Each night you may choose one person (including yourself) to protect from harmful night abilities. This power has a 50% chance of working for each ability it attempts to block, in the event that your target is targeted by multiple abilities. You are town aligned.

Mafia:

Millions Knives (Ligolski): You are Millions Knives, the main antagonist. You are Vash's brother and love him dearly, however you are frustrated that he wants to protect the human race that you consider to be garbage. In accordance with this, whomever places the hammer vote that kills your brother (Vash), MUST be your night kill target that night. You are just as gifted as your brother in every way, as you too are a plant, thus you are completely invulnerable to all adverse night abilities. You are leader of the Gung-Ho Guns organization and wield compete control over those who have not abandoned you. In essence, you are the godfather of this game's mafia. You are responsible for sending me all night kill choices via PM. You will only carry out the night killings when you are the last mafia member alive.

Legato Bluesummers (Riciardos): You are Legato Bluesummers, mafia-aligned, a psychic who is completely subservient to Knives. You are his right hand man and as such you are second in command of the Gung-Ho Guns organization, and will take over his responsibilities if he dies. Your psychic abilities are profound, allowing you to control anyone as you see fit. You may send two names to me each night, one of the person whos ability you would like to redirect, and then the name of the new target you'd like to designate. You carry out the night killings only when Monev and Elendira are dead.

Elendira the Crimsonnail (Ronike): You are Elendira the Crimsonnail, mafia-aligned. You are the 13th Gung-Ho Gun and the most powerful of the group, possessing uncanny speed and dexterity rivaling that of Vash and Knives. As such, you are impervious to all adverse night abilities. In the event that both Knives and Legato die, you assume the responsibilities of the godfather. You will carry out the night killings if Monev dies.

Monev The Gale (Jiano): You are Monev the Gale, mafia aligned. You are by far the most intimidating Gung-ho Gun in appearance. You are considerably built for combat, having trained for 20 years in solitude in preparation for a face off with Vash. However, you are a mere grunt in the eyes of your superiors and only exist to carry out their will. You will carry out the night killings designated by Knives, or his successors.

Independant:

Livio the Double Fang/Razlo the Tri-Punisher of Death (Spam_master): You are Livio the Double Fang, independently aligned, a last minute addition to the Gung-Ho Guns. However, you never really took this allegiance seriously. As a result of your traumatic childhood, you developed a split personality consisting of your "normal" self as Livio the Double Fang and your psychotic killing machine alter-ego, Razlo the Tri-Punisher of Death. During the day and during any investigations, you will appear as Livio, a childhood friend of Wolfwood, who is genuinely town. However when performing your killings, your alter-ego Razlo takes over. Razlo will only take over every other night, starting on the second night. On even nights, send a PM containing who you'd like to kill. You always carry around ample supplies of regeneration formula, and this combined with your already superhuman physical capabilities grant you invulnerability to all adverse night abilities.

Any questions/comments/criticisms? Let 'em fly. XP

I'll be adding all the night activity stuff later. There's a lot of it. >_<

DiamondFalcon

Smash Journeyman
Whew. Those last couple days were so frustrating, trying to find the hidden independent but not knowing whether frozen had stuck to the normal alignments or not. I am so glad that I had set myself up early as town, or I might have been lynched quite easily. I tried to be as helpful and town-like as possible, so the mafia would shoot me and waste their nightkill, but they didn't even do that until like the night before Ronike died. After that, I revealed that I was an armor, so I could use my power to save other people safely.

Anyways, good job Spam_master, you had me fooled until the last day. But everything fit together against you, I felt fairly confident that it was you and not Eor.

Good game, everyone. That was a lot of fun (though maybe a bit slow with the nights), and I'm glad I got to play the whole game!

ligolski

Smash Rookie
i knew eor was lieing when he said that his ability worked for only one night...it was too obvious but we never would have targetted him if my stupid mafia partner gotmink hadn't switched my freaking choice to him...i wanted to go with the Dark mafia approach at night kills...**** it

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
It looks like a ton of people are night immune.

I'm going to wait for more info on night roles and who targetted who to show up before I make a big post

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Oh, and I really liked this game. This and SPMafia II have been my favorites so far

Ronike

Smash Ace
Cool. The roles arent too bad, but seriously, Vash shouldnt have been totally night immune. Made it impossible once he claimed and there just was no way to spin his claim in our favor.

So... when are you starting yours Eor? Im ready for a new one...

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I find that ironic coming from someone who was himself night immune. I didn't think the immunity in and of itself was broken (bulletproof townies aren't exactly a rarity on other sites), though I would agree when combined with the name claim, it was a tough role to beat.

I thought that the fact that he lied about his role could have benefited you guys a little bit, and the Vash as an independent argument did have some nice backing. After all, night immunity pretty much screams independent/godfather to most people. The fact that he couldn't hammer either could have caused him more problems in an endgame consisting of more than one anti-town member.

Yeah, Eor had a strong role, but I planned it that way purposely. I definitely don't think it was overpowered though.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I'm a failure once again. I suspected Chill the whole game, and it turned out to be wrong.
Ronike, I was sure, was mafia until Chill joined on my side, making me doubt myself. I am an idiot. :urg:

Never had any opinions on the rest of you though.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
My game will start in a few days, I haven't actually written the roles up, just jotted down a few sentences by the roles to mark what they are. They'll need balancing and stuff as well.

Frozen, are you going to update with night choices and PMs and things?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I find that ironic coming from someone who was himself night immune. I didn't think the immunity in and of itself was broken (bulletproof townies aren't exactly a rarity on other sites), though I would agree when combined with the name claim, it was a tough role to beat.

I thought that the fact that he lied about his role could have benefited you guys a little bit, and the Vash as an independent argument did have some nice backing. After all, night immunity pretty much screams independent/godfather to most people. The fact that he couldn't hammer either could have caused him more problems in an endgame consisting of more than one anti-town member.

Yeah, Eor had a strong role, but I planned it that way purposely. I definitely don't think it was overpowered though.
It was way overpowered. I'm sorry, it was a pretty good game in most ways, but that was one aspect that I think you should have reconsidered. Just because you planned something out doesn't mean that your plan was a good one.

He's probably the best mafia player on the forums, and once you gave him a role that was both night immune and had such a good nameclaim, there was no way to kill him. The only way he would die once he roleclaimed would be when the mafia outnumbered the town. It's okay to have a player who's difficult to get killed, but I don't think it's a good idea to make one who's impossible to kill, especially when you give that role to a member who's as influential as Eor.

Moreover, Eor himself thinks that the role is overpowered. When the player who's got the role thinks it's overpowered, I'd say that's a strong indication that it is.

Ronike

Smash Ace
I dont think Eor is the best. Hes one of the greats, but I think that Frozen and Liggy beat him out for that title.

DiamondFalcon

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Mediocre though. If I was mafia, I would pretty disappointed with having someone who was nearly impossible to kill. I know from another game I've played where almost everybody had either a protective item, multiple lives, or other night (even lynch) immunity, that it was too hard for the mafia. We had to make most of our kills through mislynching, and in the process gave too much away.

But regardless, I enjoyed the game. The only people I was really wrong about were Blazer, Mediocre, and KevinM. Spam_master did a great job though, I commend him for staying out of suspicion for so long.

Here's an early LoS I almost posted when all these were still alive (where * where people who voted Pythag):
*2.) Jiano (Replaced AgentLi)
*9.) Blazer
8.) Mediocre
*1.) Ligolski
*16.) KevinM
*5.) Ronike
3.) GotMink
11.) Camo-man
*13.) Chill
6.) spam master
*15.) commonyoshi (Replaced mask man)
*7.) smashman90
14.) Kada (Replaced Kashakunaki)
*4.) Eorlingas

Although Eorlingas isn't as great as thedocsalive and frozen, he is a really good player. He used his role to his advantage and we came out victorious.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I dont think Eor is the best. Hes one of the greats, but I think that Frozen and Liggy beat him out for that title.
From what I've seen in this game and the other game that I've followed (South Park Mafia II), he seems the best to me. You're free to make your own judgments of course, but he made more of an impression on me than either of the other players you listed.

Of course, I've had rather limited experience in these things compared to most of the other players here, so my judgment may be somewhat off. Perhaps it's just the way he played in SPM2 that gave me the impression, because it seemed to me that he was the driving force behind the mafia for much of the game. When they wound up winning, it was largely due to his influence and persuasive abilities.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
This is Mafia, not a video game. If we added a ranking system it'd ruin the fun, people would be caring less about the game and instead about how they rank against certain specific members. And it would also give the mistake that someone like Frozen or liggy or me are automatically valuable. Check out CSI mafia, I was inactive there and sucked, I added nothing but slightly pushed towards an already existent bandwagon one day. Posting about that doesn't add anything. Now, to contradict everything I just said, I have my own views on who is better then who, and I'll post them if someone wants, though I still think it wouldn't do any good.

I'm going to wait till tomorrow to write up my summary. It's basically going to be a "Well I ****ed up" post. I was doing really good, though when no one decisive stayed behind to help, I pretty much went into overboard and made some bad plans that everyone agreed on that almost ended us. Though I'm glad I added Occam's Razor to this game, if someone had applied it at the end of the game I would have died. I don't really know what to make of this whole game, but I'm going to put the last half at me thinking I'm too clever that almost wiped us out.

And congrats to Spam_Master, that was very close. I had to check my role PM twice to make sure I really was town close to the end.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Eor, I was never advocating some kind of mafia tier list to determine which players are the best. I don't think that any one player is inherently more valuable than any other. However, I do think that some players have more capability than others, and that shows in the games. Personally, I think you are currently one of the most capable mafia players on these boards. If you don't play to your full ability, obviously you will be less valuable. The same is true of any other player in these games.

As for the Occam's Razor comment, there was one main reason that kept me from truly believing you were an independent. This was that Blazer's character, Rem, was confirmed town when he died. In the anime and the manga, Vash is not always aligned with the other characters who were town in this game, but he consistently acts in what he believes is the manner Rem would want him to act. Because Rem was town, I thought it unlikely that your character would be independent.

I never mentioned this notion of mine because you were never in any real danger of being lynched, and it might be a problem if I decided you were suspicious later and I got by own words thrown back at me. Still, this logic kept me from doubting your allegiance later in the game, even after you had pushed for the deaths of a number of players who turned out to be townie.

I agree that if I were to analyze the situation using Occam's Razor, I would have come to the conclusion that you were independent. I also agree that Occam's Razor is a valuable tool for figuring out alignments in many of the situations this game creates. However, I do not feel that it should be used in a vacuum, without also considering intuition, personal feelings and other logical inferences. Rather, it is something that should be combined with all these other tools to make oneself a better and more competent player.

camo-man

Smash Cadet
I hated the way Riciardos found me since Night 1 with his stupid psychic role switching. >_>

And there's 1 bulletproof on each side.... what woulda happened if it was just Eor and spam left?

And... what's Occam's Razor?

spam_master

Smash Rookie
I am so dissappointed, I feel like if me and eor had duked it out point for point I would have won, cause we were almost on an even playing field in terms role believeability and I had been writing my arguments against him for like 3 days prior.

I really thought I was gonna win.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I am so dissappointed, I feel like if me and eor had duked it out point for point I would have won, cause we were almost on an even playing field in terms role believeability and I had been writing my arguments against him for like 3 days prior.

I really thought I was gonna win.
I thought you played very well for most of the game, although I think night killing me was a mistake, because it made everyone really suspicious of you. I probably would have been lynched anyway, and everyone knew it.

When you used your night ability at that point in the game, you did the same thing that KevinM and I did to ourselves by voteblocking DF; you took all the attention and suspicion that had previously been evenly divided and concentrated it on yourself.

That said, you had a really tough role, and you lasted much longer than I would have expected you to, given the situation you were in as the only independent.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
And there's 1 bulletproof on each side.... what woulda happened if it was just Eor and spam left?

And... what's Occam's Razor?
In the event that neither side can win due to the fact that they are unable to kill one another no matter how many times the game goes to night, the game ends in a tie.

As for Occam's Razor, I believe its the idea that the simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Don't have time to do all the night info tonight guys. Got an Economics project and English thesis to write. >_<

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Wait, so we where immune to all death? I thought it was just night roles

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Where'd you get that idea? None of you were totally immune to death. You, spam, ligolski, and ronike were all impervious to night roles entirely.

I guessing you got confused when I said "no one can kill each other" when explaining the hypothetical situation to camo-man. The reason I said that no one would be able to die if you and spam master were the only two remain players is because assuming neither of you have some sort of temporary lapse of common sense while reading this thread, neither of you would vote for yourself, and as such a majority could never be achieve. When a majority lynch is impossible to achieve, the game instantly defaults to night phase with a no lynch. No matter how many times that happens, spam master could never kill you overnight since you're invincible, and you have no way of killing him. Therefore it would be logically impossible for either of you to die, and the game would end in a tie.

*goes back to writing his papers >_<*

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
My internet's way too freaking slow right now. I didn't ever realized it had actually let me post the first time.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
As for Occam's Razor, I believe its the idea that the simplest answer is usually the correct one.
Yes, I'm well aware of the concept and I fully understand it. However, there are other elements to take into account besides the simplicity of the possible answers.

This runs against the concept of Occam's Razor as Eor explained it. The actual usage of the Razor is a bit more complicated than what Eor outlined, and would actually allow for outside evidence to be considered.

Anyhow, as I said, the simplest explanation was for Eor to be an independent. It explained almost everything that Eor had done during the course of the game (and most of what had happened in the game) with the fewest assumptions possible. Thus, it was the perfect "Occam's Razor" explanation, except for one thing - there was one major piece of evidence against it. This was Rem's proven affiliation with the town.

Therefor, what I was saying holds. The simplest explanation is not always correct, nor is necessarily even the most likely to be correct. Occam's Razor is a valuable tool, but it is not meant to be used in the absence of other types of logic or evidence.

In the event that neither side can win due to the fact that they are unable to kill one another no matter how many times the game goes to night, the game ends in a tie.
In the scenario Camo-man gave, wouldn't the mafia win the game? I thought the mafia automatically won the game as soon as their numbers were equal or greater than that of the rest of the players, whatever the abilities of those players might be.

I'm not absolutely sure of that, but I did read the rules for mafia games before signing up for this one, and I'm pretty sure I remember reading that one somewhere.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I was thinking that the Independent would win if only him and one other townie/mafia player was alive. Yeah, that's where I got confused

Yes, I'm well aware of the concept and I fully understand it. However, there are other elements to take into account besides the simplicity of the possible answers.

This runs against the concept of Occam's Razor as Eor explained it. The actual usage of the Razor is a bit more complicated than what Eor outlined, and would actually allow for outside evidence to be considered.

Anyhow, as I said, the simplest explanation was for Eor to be an independent. It explained almost everything that Eor had done during the course of the game (and most of what had happened in the game) with the fewest assumptions possible. Thus, it was the perfect "Occam's Razor" explanation, except for one thing - there was one major piece of evidence against it. This was Rem's proven affiliation with the town.

Therefor, what I was saying holds. The simplest explanation is not always correct, nor is necessarily even the most likely to be correct. Occam's Razor is a valuable tool, but it is not meant to be used in the absence of other types of logic or evidence.
Well, yeah. I'm pretty sure you understand it, but just to explain for everyone, a more correct version of occam's razor is "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity", or basically "the answer with the fewest assumptions is probably right", or even just "The simplest explanation that covers all the facts."

Eh, I doubt night roles choices had that big of an effect on any summary I'd write, so I'll just do it now.

DiamondFalcon

Smash Journeyman
The mafia wouldn't win if it was him and an Armor, but another townie, yeah.

And the reason I would have given Eor for being independent would just be if frozen just wanted to mess us all up. But Eor certainly didn't act like an independent, and the evidence just built up against Spam in the end, so I made my decision. I would have let Spam argue with Eor, but I felt that he wouldn't be able to dismiss all of the points, without frozen purposefully trying to mislead us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom