• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training Noobs

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey what's the best way to get someone from noob level of play to pro level of play as in introduce it to them? BUt then again this guy isn't a human like most people kind of like me but more drugs and less crazy.

I know if I can show him high level of play the right way he will love it. I don't know if I should de-synce **** or pichu ****. both would be amazing to a noob maybe I should just combo him as falcon but nothing gay like well you you know. and I will tell him stiaght up jump with Y or X it's WAAAAAAYYYY better at a lower level My sister plays as roy and she has to jump before she DIs so she is F***ed.

Pichu eat you

pockyD

Smash Legend
who didn't know how to DI when they were like 12? LOL. What, did people NOT trying to influence the direction they go to when they got attacked? Common sense kind of told you to do that when you first bought it.
it sounds like you don't understand proper DI

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, people can stop calling DI an advanced tech. Some people have better DI than others, but who didn't know how to DI when they were like 12? LOL. What, did people NOT trying to influence the direction they go to when they got attacked? Common sense kind of told you to do that when you first bought it.
It also sounds like you are an Elitist who was ironically the last to learn all this.

Anyway, I'd consider myself a n00b to Melee despite playing it for years.
I only learned how to wavedash a few months ago.

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
When i started i just played with my friend and practiced then my second or 3rd time at a tournament was FCD and i was amazed at how much i learned from going their eventually i just got good just go to tournaments thats the best way too maximize getting good fast and play lots of diff people dont restict yourself to a few people you wont get maximum training that way

AprilShaw

aka Logan
With any new person, I always tell them (though I believe I have a less than 10% success rate) to learn Fox or Falco first. Fox and Falco challenge your tech skill and have a lot of get-the-****-off-me attacks (nairs, shines, etc) and you don't have to think much to play them. Then once they get down all their tech skill and are starting to keep up in terms of speed, have them start playing the character they actually wanna use.

If they wanna stick to the spacies, have them learn a mentally hard to play character, like Marth, for a bit. Get them used to thinking while playing, gauging their options, etc. It isn't obvious to people who don't play Marth but if you just try and throw out moves like you can with Fox/Falco you're just gonna get destroyed.

Anyways, the basic idea is tech skill first. Then the mental aspects of the game. Afterwards, they just have to go to tourneys and play a lot of people and they'll get good.

Staco

Smash Champion
I was a melee noob 2 month ago, but the best german melee player Ice helped me to get started with it.
He explained me things like crouch cancel, teached me stuff, told me things like never going into shield at low percentages etc.
And we played a lot. (him often sandbagging the first days, so that it didnt get frustrating for me)
Now Im actually much better at this game, than I was before.

You just need a person, who understands the game and gives you tips and you have top play a lot.

QED

Smash Apprentice
I'm a noob who recently started training with SNPR. And despite the many questions I throw at him, he just in the end, sums it up as: "get more tech skill" (well that's pretty much the only thing he says).

Coming from a guy who used to be one of the most technical Foxes in SoCal, I do want to slap him when he gives me those words... but it is truth. This game has heavy amount of skill needed before being able to play at a "basic competitive level." There is just a vast amount of different techniques that can be overwhelming for some people coming into the competitive scene nearly a decade late.

I think the best way to train someone who is past learning SHFFLing, is to point out finer details in situational play such as how to DI out of certain combos (e.g. throws, Marth fairs) and when to tech/roll/shield grab. Adding information on stages and match ups would be incredibly helpful especially for someone who has little tournament experience.

IMO I think people should develop defensive skills before developing offensive skills. It's incredibly discouraging when someone gets 0-death comboed from poor DI and techs/rolls.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
These walls of text are pointless. I've been training noobs for years, and helping them consistently grow better. The key is to let them learn themselves, and teach them techniques that they can practice themselves. This way, you're not overwhelming them with contstant streams of information, nor are you bashing them into the ground in game. Show them everything you know.

Not just the noob gains from this process either, both the plauyer, and the noob, will gain valueble skills from this. I, of all people, would know this.

Falcade

Smash Cadet
These walls of text are pointless. I've been training noobs for years, and helping them consistently grow better. The key is to let them learn themselves, and teach them techniques that they can practice themselves. This way, you're not overwhelming them with contstant streams of information, nor are you bashing them into the ground in game. Show them everything you know.

Not just the noob gains from this process either, both the plauyer, and the noob, will gain valueble skills from this. I, of all people, would know this.
Train me <3

But people are also forgetting that not all of us are fortunate enough to be near a competetive scene. Take me for example, I live in Ontario, Canada and I know there are tournaments in Toronto, BC, etc. but they are all a pretty long drive or a plane ride away. I haven't played Melee against ANYONE else but my one friend, and he doesn't even know what wavedashing or l-cancelling is and he is getting bored of the game and playing MW2 -.- So all I can do is practice my technical ability with Falco in Training Mode or something until a closer tourney comes up (which will never happen) :(

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Id say that its nice to play somebody better than you. but sometimes they are doing things that you cant recognize and it will not help you learn until you know whats going on.

at first start with ppl at the lowest skill you can find to get the basics. Then move up and you will level up faster. ASK QUESTIONS and watch youtube with a friend who is knowledgeable.

Also, that person has to be willing to put in technical practice as well if they are just starting off. Take some time to go over techniques with them no matter how boring it may be.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, there's a big grinding stage where you absolutely have to get your basic tech skill down.

SHFFL and its components, the basics of dashing dance (dash back turn around grab, etc), JC grabbing, Wavedashing, Wavelanding, and character-specific fundamentals... it all has to be something they can do, on command, without thinking about it. You can't really teach someone about their character or anything until they can at least meet a certain technical requirement with them.
^^^ This.

General training regimen should look like this:

1st: Tech Skill
2nd: Tactics
3rd: Strategies
4th: Character specifics

After that, you just ask questions learn as you go.

When starting out, it's best to face people that are around the same level as you. Then, start facing people that are a bit better than you. Once you get to a certain level, face some lesser players when you want to experiment, and face better players when you want to practice. After a certain point, you won't need to face lesser players anymore.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Haha I'm still at my 1st 'stage' but I'd rather learn via experience than just practice tech skill, because I get bored.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
All that **** about techskill in here is ********. They should learn their basics before they learn techskill (with L-cancelling being the only exception). this would include spacing, when to shield, when to runaway, how to recover, how certaint matchups work, how to gimp certaint characters.
After that kick the technical stuff into them. If you **** the order up they'll be held back because of the lack of understanding the basics.

Do you guys remember that episode in pokemon with that Raichu that evolved too soon? Great example :3

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I generally noticed people never want to become good at Smash. So I don't bother and play with items on banned stages for the hell of it.

Waynebruce

Smash Cadet
Well, are you training yourself or training someone else? when I play someone better than me and get ***** hard..I just keep playing them and playing and playing and learning everything I can. honestly if im surrounded by people better then me, I get excited, not discouraged, it just means there's a lot to be learned.
honestly, you are just like me (or m just like you... whatever) =P
whenever i find someone better than me i keep playing again and again until they say: "enough, newb."
Ok, they dont say that, i didnt get ***** that much so far to they say it, but still...
And, in the next day, i keep trying.

Excited. thats the word. simply because you got new horizons.

S l o X

Smash Champion
I wish I could play people who are worst than me for more than two or three games. They just rage quit or just don't feel like playing which I find really dumb. I wish there were more people like you around - Waynebruce ):

worldjem7

Smash Ace
All that **** about techskill in here is ********. They should learn their basics before they learn techskill (with L-cancelling being the only exception). this would include spacing, when to shield, when to runaway, how to recover, how certaint matchups work, how to gimp certaint characters.
After that kick the technical stuff into them. If you **** the order up they'll be held back because of the lack of understanding the basics.

Do you guys remember that episode in pokemon with that Raichu that evolved too soon? Great example :3
Just because you're not doing crazy AR stuff doesn't mean it's not tech skill.

If you can't properly control your character then you won't be able to properly practice what you've listed here.

Learn Tech Skill Here:
Advanced How To Play (SSBM) - By Wak
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM

Top Bottom