• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Players & Videos by Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You don't think that might have been an indication that it should stay closed, Hyli?
I think it shows me that people realized why it was closed and didn't really argue against it which shows maturity. This gives me hope.

D

Deleted member

Lunchables Vs. Denti www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee5b3pNYlkY
Lunchables & Luck Vs. Denti & AeroLink www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWsWxrEHzZM
Lunchables Vs. Luck www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1zAkDxNig

Some videos to add of me. I also think that I should be moved to be above Jolteon, at the past 3 or 4 TX monthlies I've placed top 3 beating players such as Denti, AeroLink, Infinity, and even DOUBLE ELIMINATING Oracle in the same tourney. (Also I beat sethlon in a roy ditto in bracket but that's not toonlink related)

Cool to see this thread back, but I kind of agreed with it being closed due to absolutely NO progress >_>

Last edited by a moderator:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Okay, so I'm really busy this week and I didn't expect this to open up again so I'd have to dig through A LOT of archives, so don't expect immediate updates. Thanks Hylian.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
good **** lunchables, in general, but you also got three stocked second match of the roy ditto :p

(i personally agree you should be higher on the tink list all the same)

D

Deleted member

You go ahead and try beating sethlon in a roy ditto with your pocket roy >_>
Go ahead and try beating sethlon IN GENERAL >_____>

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
You go ahead and try beating sethlon in a roy ditto with your pocket roy >_>
Go ahead and try beating sethlon IN GENERAL >_____>
maybe someday. thats why im still saying good **** man. youre top ten in dallas for a reason

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Can I vote Rat perhaps?

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I don't know, Hylian miiiight be top 3 mods but Shadic is prt good. Sveet prob doesn't deserve to be on hte list no more.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
My :diddy: is already top 5? I'll post links to my sets with 2fast and Chillin once they're uploaded by VG. I would post my set with Pink Fresh here, but I just got bodied. He taught me how to fight :lucas: after our set .-.

:018:

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
3 stocked denti in tournament with olimar (shhhhh maybe I lost the set but so what) can I pleeeeaaasseee be on the list?

Also, daily reminder that if you think youre good at something, a dfw player is probably better than you at it

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
I think winning a ditto counts exactly as much as winning any other match. Wolf v Wolf is just as much a match-up as Wolf v Ivysaur or Wolf v Mario. I never really understood why people say dittos are worth less. Just like every matchup, you need to know your options, your opponent's options, and you have to be able to execute. Just because they have the same options as you doesn't make the match worth any less.

also Oracle deserves 3rd Olimar spot simply because the only other Olimar out there is Boss and the only vids I've seen are of his Oli lose to Pink Fresh and he plays like 15 characters anyway

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Yeah but wining Wolf dittos doesn't mean you're a better player than the other person, it just means you're better at the Wolf matchup

It should really be determined by wins and placings. And obviously both of their wins over Rat holds a lot of water, given the skill Rat has.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
You know what I like about WW? All the blue, they have a blue overlay and it's recorded in a blue room. They should make everyone rock a blue custom in game and it would be win.

Peps be taking these mirror matches with a grain of salt. Smh

Last edited:

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
Yeah but wining Wolf dittos doesn't mean you're a better player than the other person, it just means you're better at the Wolf matchup

It should really be determined by wins and placings. And obviously both of their wins over Rat holds a lot of water, given the skill Rat has.
But knowing matchups is part of the overall entity of "skill", it's game knowledge. It's not fair to say that because they are the same character in that match, that suddenly the match counts for less than if it weren't a ditto. Someone could have the quickest reaction times and most precise movements, but if they don't know matchups then are they a top player? You can't divorce game knowledge from skill when you're discussing who is "the best".

On the topic of Chillin vs Rat, Chillin won the Wolf dittos, twice in bracket and once in crew battles IIRC. I'm not saying that automatically makes him a better player than Rat, or that he's a better Wolf player overall, but Wolf v Wolf is still a matchup in the game. When evaluating any matchup, you need to know A) what your character can do, B) what your enemy's character can do, C) how your tools interact with your opponent's and D) how stages affect your options and your opponent's options (other things like tech skill, reads, etc. don't really count as "matchup knowledge"). But even if A and B happen to be the same for a matchup, you still need to know how to use your tools in the most effective way while respecting your opponent's tools, and how stage choice affects your matchup. Likewise, it doesn't mean the matches are worth MORE because you're using the same character, but I see no reason why they should hold less water at all.

edited to cleanup a bad sentence or two

Last edited:

Zwarm

Smash Hero
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying it doesn't take skill to win a ditto, obviously it takes skill to beat someone with as much knowledge about a character as you. What I'm saying is character vs. character shouldn't matter as much as player vs. player.

I understand this is a character thread, but it's "top players by character", which to me means player skill comes before character skill, and the players are just listed by the character they play.

For example, yes, Chillin did beat Rat twice and obviously outplaced him, so that gives Chillin wins over Rat and a higher placing at a tournament they both attended. Including Chu, and other people Chillin beats on a somewhat consistent basis, he has a pretty strong resume. Rat, on the other hand, travels for PM more than Chillin, so he has some strong out of state wins on top of his in state wins, like against Kels(I think?), Scythe, etc. He also took out Mew2King at BH3, and some big names at Xanadu/Apex (I'm just going off memory for this, so I'm being a bit vague here, but the point still stands.)

And I'm not trying to say Rat should be above Chillin either, I still think he's the better player, I'm just trying to make a point here.

TreK

Is "that guy"
In Brawl, I'm known to be good at shutting down ground characters and at edgeguarding, so I win most dittoes as Diddy. But the matchups that matter are not against ground characters, or against characters you are expected to edgeguard, so I'm not as good as some of the Diddies I regularly beat in dittoes.
That's just one of the many flaws of taking dittoes as the reference point. Just take the tourney results, that's what ultimately matters.

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
So SBU 2.5 happened this weekend. Bracket here: http://challonge.com/84ny5zp8

Notable placings include John Numbers on Charizard making top 3, two pocket Marios and a pocket Link, ZeRo playing Pit, DJ Nintendo on Ike, and NinjaLink on Roy and Diddy.

Only twitch archives exist sadly ;_;

The Moon (Toon Link) vs. NinjaLink (Roy, Diddy)
ZeRo (Pit) vs. NinjaLink (Diddy)
John Numbers (Charizard) vs. Rolex (Snake) (if you only watch one match, watch THIS)
DJ Nintendo (Ike) vs. Mew2King (Mewtwo)
ZeRo (Pit) vs. John Numbers (Charizard)
DJ Nintendo (Ike) vs. The Moon (Toon Link)
DJ Nintendo (Ike) vs. ZeRo (Pit)
Rolex (Snake, Mario) vs. ZeRo (Pit)
John Numbers (Charizard) vs. Mew2King (Mewtwo, Mario)
ZeRo (Link, Fox) vs. John Numbers (Charizard)
ZeRo (Pit, Fox vs. Mew2King (Fox, Mario, Mewtwo)

I left out the Fox player because his two bracket wins were over two 13th place finishers and Fox has strong representation already. I don't know much about how good the current Ike, Pit, Charizard and Diddy representatives are but I think there is strong competition for those spots.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I don't know much about how good the current Ike, Pit, Charizard and Diddy representatives are but I think there is strong competition for those spots.
... Then perhaps you ought to get a bit more familiar with them. DJ Nintendo is a great player, but his Ike is ... solid, at best. In his match with Zero I didn't see him use any of Ike's Quick-Drawn options at all, which include some really helpful combo tools on floaties like Pit: Fthrow -> QD regrabs, Fthrow -> QD Reverse bair finisher, Dthrow -> QD JC USmash. In fact, I think I saw him use Quick Draw offensively about twice. You can't be a good Ike player without utilizing one of his most versatile and potent tools.

The John Numbers match on the other hand ... o.O

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
The Moon only started playing PM a few weeks ago, he's obviously held back by no AGT or bomb jumps, I don't think he's anywhere near the top 3 yet, but he was part of Top 8 there and it was more about evaluating the others he played against. (edit: before someone calls me out on this, he obviously has more problems than just those two but I'm not writing up an analysis of these)

The only videos listed in the OP for Metroid and Strong Bad are from before 3.0. The only videos I can find of them from 3.0 are from a few weeks after 3.0 dropped. I mean, I admitted I don't know much about Ike, but I'm not gonna run around watching outdated matches trying to compare them with current ones, I'll just post the videos here and let other people discuss.

But yeah that Charizard, I don't know anything about Oracle or Metroid's zards but a 4 stock on Rolex is dirty

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
The only videos listed in the OP for Metroid and Strong Bad are from before 3.0. The only videos I can find of them from 3.0 are from a few weeks after 3.0 dropped. I mean, I admitted I don't know much about Ike, but I'm not gonna run around watching outdated matches trying to compare them with current ones, I'll just post the videos here and let other people discuss.
Ike was barely changed from 2.6 to 3.0, and Ally has Apex matches where he beat Taj, KDJ and Zhime, if you're interested.

Oracle

Smash Master
Yeah numbers zard is pretty good. Idk if its better than mine but he was doing some good stuff. Very basic but I was still fairly impressed

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I am perfectly okay with no longer being on the Ike list. I don't use him very often at all in tournament anyway. Vwins is better than me with him and Ally/Metroid actually use the character so that's no problem. You can just keep the video of metroid & me doing the Ike Ditto MM under Metroid and we'll be fine.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Okay, so I finally updated the thread. I haven't read everything up until this point, so if you guys have video suggestions and etc that you'd like to reiterate that'd be great. Not sure if I have the time or patience to go through several pages of suggestions (or however amount of posts).
I have included footage from:
Seagull from Xanadu
NSA 2
Civil War 6
SSS East Coast Edition
CEO Prologue
KTAR 9

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEONE PLEASE LINK ME TO FOOTAGE OF DARKY'S SONIC

D

Deleted member

Some videos to add of me. I also think that I should be moved to be above Jolteon, at the past 3 or 4 TX monthlies I've placed top 3 beating players such as Denti, AeroLink, Infinity, and even DOUBLE ELIMINATING Oracle in the same tourney. (Also I beat sethlon in a roy ditto in bracket but that's not toonlink related)

Nevermind, I'm stupid and don't check the main post

Last edited by a moderator:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Don't worry, I've already updated the thread with your results.
Oh yeah, and huge shout outs to @ XXXX1000 XXXX1000 for helping me find some videos here and there across the interetz

I'm expecting some Olimar vids @ Oracle Oracle

Last edited:

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.

Cool to see this thread back, but I kind of agreed with it being closed due to absolutely NO progress >_>
MM? ;)

D

Deleted member

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
come to TX cause I'm 5 and can't travel

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
You have a video of me losing as Link to HBox.
Could you move that to the Bowser section since I won the set with that character?
Thanks~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom