• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Best Games of 2008!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Everyone here is so biased <_<...

In other news: Metal Gear Solid 4.
1. True.

2. True.

My list:

5. Gears of War 2-

A great shooter, great strategy game, and amazing multiplayer. It has a little bit of everything going for it- graphics, story, gore, and innovations- specific executions and Submission FTW.

4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl-

So what if this board is biased as f*ck, Brawl, even though it failed to meet EVERY SINGLE FAN'S EXPECTATIONS, certainly delivered anyway to the general public. The cast is great and more evenly balanced compared to Melee, and has TONS of bonus content, albeit that nobody cares about...

3. Fallout 3-

At its core, despite being part shooter, part RPG, and part adventure game, Fallout 3 is ALL fun. God that sounded awful... Anyway, little needs to be said about Fallout 3- if you haven't bought it, go ahead- I'll wait for you to come back.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4-

This. Game. Is. Insane. Not only does this game beat nearly EVERY other game on EVERY other system, but it still reigns as the most enjoyable and overall BEST PS3 game there is, and likely will ever be. This is the killer app of PS3.

1. Bioshock-

Yes, it came out in '07 on the Xbox 360, but it was re-released on the PS3 this year, so HA!

Now, let me explain to you why everyone and their mother should play this game, no matter what:

1. Amazing atmosphere: Few games can accomplish what Bioshock has done- create a creepy, dark environment surrounded by old '50's and '60's music in the background, knowing your surrounded by crazed mutant junkies, giant armored macabre, being watched by a tyrant of a ghost city, and given the extreme moral choice of survival vs. humanity. Oh, and the story is top notch too.

2. Game Engine- Not only does the game look and play well, but it does more than that- it creates a totally new and innovative gaming engine that tests not only your strength, but your smarts. Many challenges in the game may prove impossible without the use of Plasmids- genetic powers that have never been used so expertly and fluidly. Use these abilities, from tossing a flaming teddy bear on fire with Telekinesis, or freeze somebody with Winter Blast and bash them to pieces with your wrench.

Also, the graphics and physics engines are near flawless, with a beautiful view of Rapture at the beginning of the game, during the murky depths of the dystopia, and even on the former citizens themselves. Various other effects, like water and fire effects, are also one of the best I've seen.

3. Characters- The plot that plays out in Bioshock wouldn't be nearly HALF as epic without the driving and interesting characters. Atlas, the mysterious stranger who apparently means well, guides you through Rapture in order to help YOU out, and in return, for YOU to rescue his wife and son. Then, you meet Andrew Ryan, the former president of this underwater city, who attempts to kill you out of his abnormal belief in a "perfect" world. Finally, the last important character you encounter is a Miss Dr. Tennenbaum, the creator of your source of power- Little Sisters. She begs you not to kill them, but to instead free them, contrary to Atlas's claims that they are no longer human. Overall, the many inhabitants in Rapture, from the Splicers to even the intimidating Big Daddies, will keep you hooked to this game's backstory.

---------

So buy Bioshock, would you kindly?

§leepy God

Smash Master
This year huh, well ok:

1) Super Smash Bros. Brawl - One of the main reason's why I'm on this site, and it's just too addictive, I just had a New Year's Eve party playing nothing but Brawl for 12 hours.

2) Metal Gear Solid 4 - Well, of course I enjoy this game, though I am a MGS fan.

3) LittleBig Planet - I don't know why, but I love this game

4) Gear's of War II - I play this on Xbox live almost all the time

5) Animal Crossing City Fokes - I never loved the Sims, but I love this game seires. I blame the characters looking too cute, lol.

smashbot226

Smash Master
This year huh, well ok:

1) Super Smash Bros. Brawl - One of the main reason's why I'm on this site, and it's just too addictive, I just had a New Year's Eve party playing nothing but Brawl for 12 hours.
Really? I played Left 4 Dead, but whatever.

2) Metal Gear Solid 4 - Well, of course I enjoy this game, though I am a MGS fan.
You're a MGS fan, yet this ISN'T over Brawl? WTF MAN?

3) LittleBig Planet - I don't know why, but I love this game
Everybody does, it's a matter of creative strength.

4) Gear's of War II - I play this on Xbox live almost all the time
Good choice, good choice.

5) Animal Crossing City Fokes - I never loved the Sims, but I love this game seires. I blame the characters looking too cute, lol.
:/ The DS version was better than this...

My comments. I still think MGS4 and Bioshock double-stuff the HELL out of Brawl.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Wow, theres people that like the AC DS version better?! Go figure. XD

Oh well, option's option's, I just wish a puzzle game sieres I like came out this year.

Fletch

Smash Master
You guys are nuts for even putting Brawl in the top 10, let alone those of you who placed it at #1 this year.

§leepy God

Smash Master
My comments. I still think MGS4 and Bioshock double-stuff the HELL out of Brawl.
Not really Bioshock to me, I'm not too into that game, but a little of MGS4 yea, I only like games if they feel like crack to me, meanning so addictive that you don't want to put it down.

You guys are nuts for even putting Brawl in the top 10, let alone those of you who placed it at #1 this year.
*Sigh* I figure that someone that don't like Brawl would say that, there was a time that people didn't like Melee to....

Darkslash

Smash Master
If you havn't noticed any one who put Brawl in the top 5 are most likely to be 08'ers :laugh:
EDIT: @ Nebz

I see you criticizing every one's list but I didn't even see yours in the last 4 pages?

SHOW US YOUR MOV-LIST!
Fails at captain Falcon

Fletch

Smash Master
*Sigh* I figure that someone that don't like Brawl would say that, there was a time that people didn't like Melee to....[t/FONT]

I don't hate Brawl, it's just probably the biggest disappointment of a game that has been released in a while, and there are tons of awesome games that are much better that were released this year. I'll put out my list when I put some good thought into it. And when the hell did people not like Melee? Blasphemy.

JesseMeza

Smash Cadet
I don't hate Brawl, it's just probably the biggest disappointment of a game that has been released in a while, and there are tons of awesome games that are much better that were released this year.
A little off topic, but I can't stop staring at your sig. It makes me wanna......play Melee. :)

Scott!

Smash Lord
Okay, let's try this. The first two aren't from this year, but I only got my Wii last Christmas, so yeah.

5. Metroid Prime: Corruption. I love this series. And this game doesn't disappoint. I haven't finished it yet, but I've loved every second.
4. Galaxy. If it weren't for how iconic Mario 64 was and is in shaping my opinions of what great games are, I'd put this game over it. But 64 wins on historical value. Galaxy is that good, though.
3. Mario Kart Wii. Call me what you may, but I really enjoy playing this with the wheel. I'm a big fan of this game, and it's one I can play with my family too. Always a plus.
2. The World Ends With You. I was skeptical when my friend told me about it. Then, he showed me, and I was intrigued. Then I bought it, and now I love it.
1. Brawl. I've put too many hours into this game for it to not be here. Let the heaters hate, but it's fun. And that's all I need from a game.

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Well, Metroid Prime 3 got an '08 release in Japan, so I suppose it counts (would have reached New Jersey in August '07, but who's counting), but Super Mario Galaxy saw a November '07 release worldwide, so it's inelligible.

edit: I come across as a jerk, posting just that. They're good choices and all though. Think of it this way, you get two more votes!

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
you know 2008 was kinda dissapointing to me. since i only have a wii, i was hoping for some good stuff from nintendo. the early part of 2008 was the only good part with brawl and mario kart. they didnt even have any DS titles come out this year that were from them (i get it, the world ends with you is good, but i dont really care to but it) once they announced at E3 that there two major holiday titles were animal crossing and wii music, i gave up on nintendo for the rest of the year hopefully this year is a lot better for them. so i only have 4 games to say that were my favorite:

4. sonic unleashed- finally a decent sonic game.

3. super smash brothers brawl- this game is really fun, ive been hoping for it for over a year. i even went to the midnight release to buy it. but sadly, brawl wasnt 100 % of what i wanted it to be. but overall still a great game.

2. mario kart wii- i have to say this game is the best mario kart yet, over 20 characters to choose, the bikes, and the best wifi nintendo has to offer.

1. guitar hero world tour- i bought this game a few days ago and at first i was nervous about the track list since this year it favors classic rock (im more a modern rock guy) but once i played it, it was so much fun. and the fact that theres actually DLC on a wii game shocks me. the music studio is also really cool but i still havent figured out how to use it well though. overall this game is one of the best guitar hero games if not the best one yet.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
i don't have too many '08 games, and most the ones that i do have i hate.

3. Guitar Hero World Tour
2. Devil May Cry 4
(2. Not an '08 game) Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
1. Left 4 Dead

Fletch

Smash Master
For now, my top 5, but I'm just getting time into playing these games. For those who put games like GH:WT and Brawl on your list, I suggest you start playing some of the other amazing games that came out this year.

5. Grand Theft Auto 4
4. Rock Band 2
3. Left for Dead
2. LittleBigPlanet
1. Fallout 3

Honorable mentions to both Gears of War 2 and MGS4, but there were just way too many awesome games that came out this year for them to make the top 5. I wish I could keep putting Melee on this list as well, I still play it more than any of these games actually.

K64

Smash Apprentice
Wait, wait...everyone's biased? Oh my god, how will we ever be able to tell everyone's TRUE opinion if they're all...wait a minute.

[/sarcasm]

These are opinions, and they are supposed to be. Bias is defined as a preference towards a specific thing. If we didn't have bias in picking our lists we'd just be regurgitating the same games and it would be a boring topic, wouldn't it?

Anyways...I tallied up the list, and it's really long.

The World Ends With You – 4
Grand Theft Auto¬ IV – 2
Mario Kart Wii – 3
Tales of Vesperia – 2
Brawl – 11
Kirby Super Star Ultra – 2
Chrono Trigger DS – 2
Mega Man 9 – 2
Castlevania Judgment – 1
Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories – 2
Super Street Fighter II HD Remix – 2
Persona 4 – 1
Metal Gear Solid 4 – 4
Street Fighter IV – 1
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time – 1
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom – 1
Call of Duty: World at War (DS) – 1
Call of Duty: World at War (Wii) – 1
Pokémon Platinum(JP) – 1
No More Heroes – 2
Command & Conquer 3: Kane’s Wrath – 1
Fable II – 2
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Las Vegas 2 – 2
Animal Crossing: City Folk – 2
Mirror’s Edge – 1
NHL ’09 – 1
Professor Layton and the Curious Village – 1
Burnout Paradise – 1
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Dungeon – 1
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness – 1
Crash Mind Over Mutant – 1
Sonic Unleashed – 1
Space Invaders Extreme – 1
Crisis Core: FF7 – 1
LittleBig Planet – 3
Soul Calibur 4 – 2
Rock Band 2 – 1
Civilization Revolution – 1
Prince of Persia – 2
Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise - 1
Pixeljunk Eden - 1
Gears of War 2 - 1
Guitar Hero World Tour - 1
Naruto Shippūden: Gekitō Ninja Taisen! EX 3 - 1
Wario Land Shake It - 1

I just want to thank everyone for picking every different game they possibly could to make this list about a page long in Microsoft Word. >.<
Seriously, though, people managed to pick a LARGE variety of titles. Unsurprisingly, Brawl is winning. If we had been given a list of five and we all picked our favorite, or a list of 10 or 15 and we picked our five favorites -- something to that effect -- it wouldn't be as likely. But since we're on a Smash Bros site and the votes are extremely varied, people seem to coincide most with Brawl.

Also, I did not count any games that were not released in '08 (not on purpose, anyways -- point it out if I did by accident), and if people only listed a few games or only had a few released in '08, I did add those.
Pwned. If anyone wants unbaised, go to GameTrailers or something.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Hope you're joking. I like the Smash series, so of course it's going to be in the top (for a lot of people). It has much more quality than the earlier smashes. (IMO).

Besides, the last few games that have come out in the past 2 years have all sucked. Badly.

edit: I'm saying this for the Wii btw, I can't really speak for other consoles seeing as the most updated systems I have are the DS and Wii.

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
5. DoReMi Fantasy (Virtual Console) - 2008 was this game's first release outside Japan. Brilliantly creative 2D platformer with great settings and perfect controls.

4. Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - Welcome to the swiftest turn-based RPG anywhere. Glorious for people like me who are perfectly happy to do nothing more than watch numbers go up when I gain levels.

3. The World Ends With You - Truly one of the most insane RPGs I've ever had the joy of experiencing, whether in its its hectic battles or outside them and managing its absurd number of subsystems.

2. Kirby Super Star Ultra - I didn't add Chrono Trigger to my list because very little was changed (and what new stuff can be found isn't nearly as good as the old stuff). With KSSU, a few new modes were added as compared to the SNES original, but I think those few new modes are each so stupidly entertaining that they're possibly as good as or better than the rest of the original game. And the core gameplay is still awesomely fun, fast, and varied, while the music continues to blow me away to this day.

1. Tales of Vesperia - I've been gaming since 1989 or so and this is it. This is the stuff. This is the reason I play video games. Tales of Vesperia is better than Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Tales of Vesperia is better than Pokemon. Tales of Vesperia is so good, in fact, that I'd say it actually kicks the tar out of Tales of Symphonia--and ToS was already outstanding, phenomenal, superb, excellent, and a game that I would describe in other ways as just a little bit above average. Back to ToV, It should be said that Vesperia has a really bad and forgettable soundtrack, but it delivers so magnificently on every other level I care about--its depth, its pick-up-and-play value, its complexity, its sense of scale--that gaming has never, ever been better to me.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Smash is my game of the year. Screw all the haters. I still play it daily with 3 other people and nothing beats the laughs we get from it.

Second place would have to be Apollo Justice for me.

I wouldn't put any other games I've played this year in a best of list so I'm just nominating two games =/.

knightzy

Smash Journeyman
1.Super Smash Bros Brawl.
2.Call of Duty: World at War
3.Guitar Hero:World Tour
4.De Blob
5.NiGHTS:Journey of Dreams.

Kirbythebanshee

Smash Rookie
most of the games i got this year suck (all i gots is a wii and a DS)
some of the good ones tho are,
Brawl (wii) i think this is a great game, and screw all the people who just nit pick and find every single thing about the game that they dont like. Its amazing in my oppinion
Spore (pc) This is definantly a close second to brawl. I find it really fun, and it's probably the only game i play that isn't brawl

yeah, those are all i play. I'm not a fan of first person shooters (like there are any for the wii), and the only thing good about mario kart and animal crossing city folk is the wifi.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Yeah man just look at all those people still talking about how MoHH2 had the best console FPS controls ever.

Oh wait. :(

Darkslash

Smash Master
Yeah man just look at all those people still talking about how MoHH2 had the best console FPS controls ever.

Oh wait. :(
I said Acclaim ...for all i know they could be bull****ting me, but they weren't. I played MoH H2 and while it may have the best controls, it has the ****iest hit detection i have ever seen this gen, I mean a whole Clip to kill some one with a BAR? Its BattleField 1942 all over again. So maybe i should tick off MoHH2. :/

And then SMG's rule in World at War. 2 shots with a Mp40 your dead in regular TDM.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't know if I could assemble a top 5 games, but I'll certainly do three.

[EDITED:]
3) The Force Unleashed
2) Brawl
1) Fallout 3

I'm surprised that Fallout hasn't been mentioned much in this thread. GTA4 was ****, COD4 was ****, and SC4 wasn't all that great. Doesn't look like the fourth iterations of games look good on my plate, but that's one man's opinion.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Tales of Vesperia is so good, in fact, that I'd say it actually kicks the tar out of Tales of Symphonia--and ToS was already outstanding, phenomenal, superb, excellent, and a game that I would describe in other ways as just a little bit above average.
A lot of other Tales games easily beat Symphonia IMO, which reminds me to change my list.

Tales of Destiny Remake: Director's Cut came out in 2008. I forgot to add that.

Oracle

Smash Master
Personally I agree with the OP but take away mario kart wii because It's flawed pretty badly.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Personally I agree with the OP but take away mario kart wii because It's flawed pretty badly.
How so? I thought is was well done compare to the last Mario Kart's, great online game play, good character picks, nice stage seletion's. I'll say the few flaws would be the bike's are overpowered, (I my self say that they are overrated and Kart's are the best with speed and drift's, no one has ever beaten my Toadette and Mini Beast/or Tiny Titan combo before), the item luck in 2nd to 5th is kind of bull crap unless you put it on agrassive, (what do you expect? More chracters, more sacrafices), you have to do teams on Battle mode, and no text chat online, that's all I think that's flawed. I will say no snakeing is a great thing, I don't know why a lot of people didn't like that getting taken out.

Fletch

Smash Master
Removing snaking is just another example of Nintendo's new anti-competitive attitude... And the item luck in that game is ridiculous, some stuff is just way too overpowered and you're better off staying out of first for most the race.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Removing snaking is just another example of Nintendo's new anti-competitive attitude... And the item luck in that game is ridiculous, some stuff is just way too overpowered and you're better off staying out of first for most the race.
But... Mario Striker's Charaged is very competive on the Wii, in fact three time's as competive than Super Mario Striker's. D=

Also, I'm one of those people that find Snaking very repulsive. Why? Because Dry Bones ***** everyone with Snaking with his kart on Mario Kart DS, on Double Dash, it's not as effective as the one on DS, but you can still do it. And theres only two items that are too overpowering on Kart Wii, and that's the Pow Block and the Spiny Shell.

And yay, another point for Soul Cailber IV. ^_^

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
5. Metal Slug 7
While this may be an unpopular choice, the fact that 90% of you don't know about the best run and gun series ever is no skin off my nose, so to hell with you all. Expanding upon the formula introduced in Metal Slug 6 which(finally!) created gameplay differences between the characters, the new levels and vehicles plus the return of Metal Slug X's Combat School make this the best DS game of the year. Suck it, Chrono Trigger.

4. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
This is an expansion to the undisputed best mumorpuger of all time. 'Nuff said. However, for the sake of sounding like a snooty little brat, I'll continue. The new area of Northrend, complete with new dungeons, as well as the new profession(inscription) and the new class(death knights, also known as "holy crap that's metal") make this first endgame expansion for World of Warcraft a profound and welcome addition to cement the game's status as the best mumorpuger ever, with no competition in sight.

3. Fable II
I've said a lot about how awesome this game is, but I haven't said anything about it(or anything about anything, for that matter) on Smashboards for several months, so here I go. The fantasy-based life simulator is full of places to go, things to do, and people to do. The story, while anticlimactic at the end, has some very endearing characters, especially the insufferably charming monk-turned-***-whooper known only as 'Hammer.' The combat is interesting and flexible, and the roleplaying elements are profound and significant. Most importantly, the game is fun, which separates it from piles of arthouse crap that try to pass themselves off as video games.

2. Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix
A rehash of the best fighting game ever, fine-tuned and polished to a shine for optimum tournament play? Yes please! While you may not like it, this game will warp the American fighting game scene for years to come, and the top players will be heroes of epic proportions. The best fighting game of the year(for the curious, I give the silver medal to Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe and tell Soulcalibur IV to eat a pen0r) without doubt, there's nothing that can top this...or is there?

1. LittleBigPlanet
Don't let the disappointing sales figures fool you. This was the best game of 2008 without question, and the killer app that the Playstation 3 needs to stand out as a system. I may be biased due to my obsession with 2-D platformers, but this game alone made the PS3 worth buying for thousands of people. No other game, not even the overhyped and hilariously disappointing Metal Gear Solid 4, can make that claim, and that's a fact. LittleBigPlanet, unlike the other games that were released in 2008, has the potential to be more than a game. If it plays its cards right, this game will become a cultural phenomenon.

K64

Smash Apprentice
5. Metal Slug 7
While this may be an unpopular choice, the fact that 90% of you don't know about the best run and gun series ever is no skin off my nose, so to hell with you all. Expanding upon the formula introduced in Metal Slug 6 which(finally!) created gameplay differences between the characters, the new levels and vehicles plus the return of Metal Slug X's Combat School make this the best DS game of the year. Suck it, Chrono Trigger.
I know that run-and-gun series and I like it very much, but is there any multiplayer in the game? I'm not saying that it's bad but it's sort of a dissapointment.
Your number 1 choice couldn't have been said better. Screw the haters for they shall see the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom