• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 10 Most Likely MultiVersus Candidates

Multiversus_top_10.jpg

Now that we have crossed into the year 2022, Warner Bros.’ MultiVersus is right around the corner. Ever since it was officially announced in November, fans have been displaying great enthusiasm for the game. Many people have been speculating which characters could make it into the game and whether their personal favorites will join the battle. With challengers coming from many different sources like Cartoon Network, HBO and DC Comics, it feels as if the sky's the limit for the roster of MultiVersus.

In this article, I will be sharing who I believe are the 10 most likely characters for MultiVersus. Keep in mind that these picks are my own opinion; I will back my choices up with evidence but ultimately my list will likely differ from yours. Warner Bros. has a wide selection of IPs to choose from, so it was a challenge to narrow it down to just 10 characters. One thing that is certain however is that all these characters have strong arguments for them.

ruby rose.jpg

10. Ruby Rose
Origin: RWBY​

Ruby Rose is the main protagonist of Rooster Teeth’s online series RWBY. She attends Beacon Academy, a school that trains hunters and huntresses who defend the world from monsters called Grimm that have invaded Remnant for thousands of years. Ruby wields the Crescent Rose, a giant scythe that also transforms into a rifle. With such a unique weapon, she offers plenty of offensive options for combat, such as spinning her scythe as an AOE attack or using it as a gun for ranged combat. She would easily be a wicked cool character and offer a moveset unlike any other.

RWBY is arguably Rooster Teeth’s most popular series. Not only has it gotten video games, but it also has been featured in Doctor Sleep and The Matrix Resurrections. It even has crossovers with DC! With Warner Bros. giving the series nods over and over again, it’s easy to see them include Ruby Rose in MultiVersus.

9. Tony Soprano
Origin: The Sopranos​

The main character of the hit HBO show The Sopranos, Tony Soprano is a member of the Mafia who struggles with the stress and anxieties that comes with balancing his work and family life. Because of his profession, Tony has plenty of combat experience, whether it be hand-to-hand combat or the use of firearms.

The Sopranos is often regarded as one of the best TV shows of all time, winning tons of awards and making its cast recognizable figures in the entertainment industry. Despite it ending in 2007, it still gets discussed often to this day and recently it got a prequel movie. One thing worth mentioning is that Tony’s actor, James Gandolfini, passed away in 2013. But seeing as his son, Michael Gandolfini, acted as a young Tony Soprano in the prequel film, The Many Saints of Network, it’s likely that James’ family would approve of his likeness being used in a video game. Overall, if Warner Bros. wants to include a rep from another one of their TV shows, no doubt Tony Soprano would be considered.

8. Paul Atreides
Origin: Dune​

Dune is an influential novel revolving around a futuristic society that fights over a life-extending drug that is on the planet Dune. Humans fight with each other and for survival as they withstand the harsh environments and deadly sandworms that populate the planet. Dune has been adapted to the screen three times, with the most recent adaptation being the 2021 film. Paul Atreides is the main protagonist of the film. He has the power to see glimpses into the future and thus predict it. He’s also proficient with swords and daggers.

Dune is one of the most influential novels of all time. Its use of space travel, futuristic settings, and politics have paved the way for future properties like Star Wars. The new film got a lot of attention and was critically and financially successful. While Warner Bros. doesn’t own Dune, they distributed the 2021 film and thus have a stake in the franchise. And with them being connected to such a coveted IP, they may just give it the nod in MultiVersus as it deserves.

7. Neo
Origin: The Matrix​

Hailing from one of the most influential films of all time, Neo is an action hero who uses The Matrix’s energy to gain superpowers such as creating shockwaves, telekinesis, super strength, super speed, and the ability to stop bullets. Even outside of The Matrix, Neo can still use his abilities and would have an aggressive playstyle. With how successful The Matrix franchise is, combined with a shiny new movie and Keanu Reeve’s immense popularity, Neo is looking super likely for MultiVersus.

6. Fred Flintstone
Origin: The Flintstones​

The father of the titular Flintstones family, Fred Flintstone is one of the most iconic cartoon characters of all time. Considering that the show takes place in the stone ages, you know Fred will be utilizing a club in his moveset and him using his stone car to ram into opponents is the kind of thing you’d expect him to do. The fact that The Flintstones have maintained relevance for generations says something about its quality and cultural resonance. It’s one of those picks that is easy to say, “yeah, that makes sense.”

Now I wanted to mention here that yes, you could replace The Flintstones with The Jetsons for this spot. Both shows have the same premise of placing modern conventions into different time periods so they are yin and yang. If you ask me, they are in the same category of likeliness (which is extremely likely) but I chose The Flintstones because I get the impression it’s slightly more popular.

5. Daffy Duck
Origin: Looney Tunes​

With how iconic Looney Tunes is and with so many memorable candidates to choose from, it’s almost guaranteed we’ll get another rep from the IP. But why Daffy instead of someone like Wile E. Coyote or Marvin the Martian? Sure you could say those characters are just as likely, but Daffy is no slouch either. Ever since 1937, Daffy Duck has starred in over 160 cartoon shorts, TV shows and movies. He is one of the more iconic characters in the Looney Tunes cast and thus makes sense as the next rep. In terms of moveset, he has his Duck Dodgers incarnation to pull moves from, as well as many gags from the cartoon shorts. Overall, Daffy Duck has a lot of merits and very little going against him, making him a very likely candidate for MultiVersus.

4. Scooby-Doo
Origin: Scooby-Doo​

This candidate needs no introduction. One of Hannah-Barbera’s original classics, Scooby-Doo has transcended the generational barrier and is a big part of many people’s childhoods. With dozens upon dozens of TV shows, movies, and comics, Scooby-Doo is a cultural phenomenon. We already got Ultra Instinct Shaggy in the game for the memes, but it’s about time we get the good ol’ dog in MultiVersus. As for his moveset potential it can be based around his clumsiness and the many gags in the show, they can get really creative. One of his attacks could be him dodging a falling knight statue whose sword just so happens to hit whoever is on the way down. Overall, there’s no reason for Scooby-Doo not to become playable eventually. He is highly requested and very marketable such as with the recent film, Scoob! or the many TV shows like the iconic Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? or What’s New, Scooby-Doo? that made him an icon in the first place.

3. Ben Tennyson
Origin: Ben 10​

Ben 10 is one of Cartoon Network’s cash cows. Ever since the original series started in 2005, Ben 10 has been a staple in cartoon culture with five TV series, movies, games and a ton of specials including crossovers with Generator Rex and Brawlhalla. In terms of moveset, Ben has a ton of aliens to choose from. Whether they make him turn into different aliens for each attack, or just choose one alien like Heatblast, Four Arms, or Cannonbolt, they won’t struggle to produce a fun character to play as. To be frank, with how much Cartoon Network pushes this franchise I strongly believe Ben is their likeliest character.

2. Joker
Origin: DC Comics​

Whether it be the original comics, cartoons like Batman: The Animated Series, or films like The Dark Knight and Joker (2019), Batman’s arch nemesis the Joker is one of the most iconic fictional villains. Known for being a trickster, the Joker would have a sneaky moveset consisting of laughing gas, fake guns, and chatter teeth props that can bite enemies. With four DC characters already in the game, the roster is bloated in that area but eventually we may most likely see another character from the universe. With an ever-increasing line of animated and live-action movies, and with such a long legacy behind it, DC is a huge property and Joker is the most obvious pick not in the game. With Batman and Harley Quinn in the game, it’s only a matter of when, not if, the clown will join MultiVersus.

Scorpion-Mortal-Kombat-Leather-Jacket.jpg

1. Scorpion
Origin: Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat’s mascot has everything you want in a candidate. For one, Mortal Kombat has no characters in the game yet and with how huge the series is, it’s bound to happen. Mortal Kombat is a sensation. Released in 1992, the original Mortal Kombat blew people’s minds with its realistic character models and over the top gore. It became a staple in the arcades right next to Street Fighter. To this day, the series is going strong with consistent games and movies releasing. Scorpion himself has his iconic spear and fire attacks and Injustice has shown he can be toned down for a T rated game.

Overall, Scorpion has a lot going for him. He is the most popular character from Warner Bros.’ best selling video game franchise. And that’s why I strongly believe he is MultiVersus’ most likely newcomer. He has virtually zero major obstacles in his way and I would be shocked if he doesn’t end up happening.

Honorable mentions:
  • Brock Samson - A popular character from Venture Bros, one of Adult Swim’s most successful and long-running series. He was this close to making it on the list but was narrowly beaten out.
  • Several of Cartoon Network’s shows like Regular Show, Ed Edd n Eddy, Amazing World of Gumball, Johnny Bravo, Teen Titans, and Powerpuff Girls.
  • LeBron James - Featured in Space Jam 2 and is rumored.

And that’s all for now, folks! Do you agree or disagree with the list? Who do you think are some of the top contenders for MultiVersus? Feel free to write your thoughts in the comments.

Credits:
Editing: @Sari
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp
Social Media: @Zerp

Last edited:
DanganZilla5

Comments

I think it's mostly a safe list but that's not a bad thing considering the well-thought reasonings behind each character. Admittedly, I've written Scooby off after seeing Shaggy but I can see how he is more likely than I gave him credit for now.

One character I think a lot of people sleep on is someone from The Wizard of Oz, given the effect of its first live-action movie.

God, I really don't want Scooby Doo in the game. He's one of the most unnecessarily, that him and Shaggy may as well been a dual.

Normally I would want Scooby for his unique character archetype of being a non-bipedal dog who loves food and is afraid of everything, but now that I've watched Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated, I can say with certainty that Fred is my most wanted of the gang. He's literally perfect for the bait-and-punish playstyle, and his obsession of traps would make for a really fun character to just see move around on the screen.

My other most wanted is probably Hagrid or Newt Scamander as a magical beast summoner of sorts-speaking of him, I'm surprised that not even Harry Potter himself got so much as an honorable mention on this list, seeing as Warner Bros owns the film rights. But I don't know the extent of those rights, so maybe it's more complicated than that. Or they could just be avoiding controversy by not associating with J.K. Rowling.

Normally I would want Scooby for his unique character archetype of being a non-bipedal dog who loves food and is afraid of everything, but now that I've watched Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated, I can say with certainty that Fred is my most wanted of the gang. He's literally perfect for the bait-and-punish playstyle, and his obsession of traps would make for a really fun character to just see move around on the screen.

My other most wanted is probably Hagrid or Newt Scamander as a magical beast summoner of sorts-speaking of him, I'm surprised that not even Harry Potter himself got so much as an honorable mention on this list, seeing as Warner Bros owns the film rights. But I don't know the extent of those rights, so maybe it's more complicated than that. Or they could just be avoiding controversy by not associating with J.K. Rowling.
I think it's probably this one.

Telling people that they will be putting money into Rowling's pocket by supporting this game is basically a PR nightmare at this point. Harry Potter may be too big for this game to disclude but I think there's a reason there is not a lot of fanfare behind him when even unlikely characters like DIO do.

I think the opposite, to be honest.

The teamwork focus of the game lends itself well to closely connected characters being their own fighters.
I'd much rather one of the Ghoul School girls or just give me Courage The Cowardly Dog.

That's shame that it doesn't mention Mordecai and Rigby.
Regular Show was a huge classic on CN.

It wasn't so huge as heck, but it was successful CN classic that could be represented in Multiversus as Fighter,

I think it's probably this one.

Telling people that they will be putting money into Rowling's pocket by supporting this game is basically a PR nightmare at this point. Harry Potter may be too big for this game to disclude but I think there's a reason there is not a lot of fanfare behind him when even unlikely characters like DIO do.
Yeah. Maybe a character better suited for paid DLC, then-so that way, supporting that individual is not made mandatory.

That's shame that it doesn't mention Mordecai and Rigby.
Regular Show was a huge classic on CN.

It wasn't so huge as heck, but it was successful CN classic that could be represented in Multiversus as Fighter,
Regular Show is in the honorable mentions section. There were a lot of Cartoon Network shows I contemplated for this list. Ultimately I just put in one (which is Ben 10) because to me the rest had about equal odds to me.

In terms of my predictions, as someone not keeping up with Multiversus but has kept up with the way WB promotes their legacy IP:

1. HBO (and live action in general really) may end up the FE of this game, prolific and controversial
  2. There'll be very little Cartoon Network and Adult Swim representation, and what there is will be limited to the popular 2010s series (Regular Show, Gumball, Richard and Mortimer, e.t.c.) and immortal IPs like Ben 10 and PPG
  3. Big Chungus will be there in some form or another.
  4. Expect a lot of tonal mismatch

In terms of my predictions, as someone not keeping up with Multiversus but has kept up with the way WB promotes their legacy IP:

1. HBO (and live action in general really) may end up the FE of this game, prolific and controversial
  2. There'll be very little Cartoon Network and Adult Swim representation, and what there is will be limited to the popular 2010s series (Regular Show, Gumball, Richard and Mortimer, e.t.c.) and immortal IPs like Ben 10 and PPG
  3. Big Chungus will be there in some form or another.
  4. Expect a lot of tonal mismatch
My guess is Big Chungus will be a taunt/emote for Bugs. Nothing is more salt inducing than Big Chungus

On the topic of Scooby-Doo, is it bad that I kinda like the first live-action movie in an ironic way? Some moments genuinely cracked me up and I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as, say, The Smurfs and Garfield duologies.

Top Bottom