• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Stage Counter Picks/Bans {BOWSER!}

TheFast

Smash Lord
Luigis mansion is the ban >_>
Olimar can do insane combos in this place. Use the level to tech and aviod getting knocked off at high damages. Walls stop TL stuff. Luigis is Olimars best stage in my opinion (Down throw-->Upsmash---->Upsmash--->Upsmash--->DownSmash 0_o stupid stuff like that.)

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Counter-pick Yoshi's Island and Smashville, maybe Lylat but I just hate that place soooo bad I can never do well there.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Errr...Dont have much matchup experience on this one...not many olimars here (that are really good). I think I would aim for stages that generally screw people with tethers or bad recoveries like olimar. I would CP rainbow cruise, JJ and frigate. Ban Norfair or Lylat cruise. Zair to nair to arrow cancel works wonders against olimars btw. Also, bombs are almost useless in this matchup >_>.

asob4

Smash Champion
japes is your best bet against us honestly :/

every stage is good for oli in one way or another
especially thanks to the pluck %'s by hilt (name droppin ;D) frigate is actually pretty good for us.

don't go to final, we out camp you for a fact there

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
*points at sig*
(I'll write stuff later... :p just saw you gaying our forums)
Toon link is gay

~Fino
yo i see you Toon Link is gay thing your not fooling me (TL's go to Classic blue to see it) anyways id love to see the CP for this one oli's give me trouble

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I never get to counterpick against TL. In the past I've banned Delphino because I don't feel comfortable on there against projectile characters. We still outcamp yah, but it's just confusing with all the different projectiles TL has combined with the different stage changes. Meh. They tend to counterpick BF, but it doesn't work well.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
japes is your best bet against us honestly :/

every stage is good for oli in one way or another
especially thanks to the pluck %'s by hilt (name droppin ;D) frigate is actually pretty good for us.

don't go to final, we out camp you for a fact there
yeah, i win more games at frigate than I lose anymore. I actually CP it against certain characters :D

Battlefield and Delphino are where I have the most problems against TL. I suppose Japes would work better against us but I rarely get CP'd to there. Most olimars will ban Rainbow Cruise immediately (unless they're fino) so you're rarely going to be able to CP that.

Again, ban mansion. There.... probably isnt a better stage for us than that.

Hyro

Smash Lord
The dsmash ***** is here :D

I CP Lylat and Yoshi's Island because dsmash is extra **** there! But it works on all other stages like FD as well so um...yeah.

Dsmash > Olimar, obvious post was obvious, okthnxbai

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Wow! Someone who actually LIKES Lylat!
Didn't know it was possible!

Anyways, I'd say CP Yoshi's as well.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Exactly why we'd CP it... If you gave us the chance that is -_-
What's your take on Smashville?

asob4

Smash Champion
i've never had a problem with any toon link unless i get ****ed over with dsmash on yoshi's

only one who's given me any kind of trouble was chip when i played him at axis in a friendly lol

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
I always have trouble w/ Oli lol.
I still want your take on Smashville (why hell was it called that anyway???)

Fino

Smash Master
People still fall for that dsmash trick O_O;
Anyways, I can't really say much about the match-up... but that's more because I haven't played a good toon link ^^;
Toon link is gay

~Fino

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
i've never had a problem with any toon link unless i get ****ed over with dsmash on yoshi's

only one who's given me any kind of trouble was chip when i played him at axis in a friendly lol
but that's more because I haven't played a good toon link ^^
lol if there's anything i hear from the olimar boards the most it's

"I never really have a problem with [insert not-metaknight here] "

toon link, lucario, diddy, snake, pikachu... it never stops.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Kays. Done.
Thanks Olimar mains. =)

Peach is next.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I would CP FD, Lylat and Pirate ship against her. Ban JJ. Peach really doesnt hate any stages to my knowledge or at least that's what zero once said. So try to go with stages that are good for TL's camping and avoid her dair at all costs. >_>

Bitter Romantic

Smash Journeyman
Southern California [Anaheim/Fullerton, San Diego]
Ban Jungle Japes, no questions :O

A good Peach should know how to DI your fsmash and if she isn't playing risky at the edge platforms, she lives for a WHILE :O [and with proper DI, that is a LONG LONG time :O]
Most of her kills will probably be at the sides with her aerials [all but uair] and she really isn't going to kill you vertically ever unless she gets in a sweetspotted usmash, which should have enough power to vertical KO [assuming decent percentage] if it hits while the stage limits your horizontal kills with fsmash [not saying you can't get horizontal kills otherwise, just not with fsmash] and 'nerfs' your vertical kills with it's amazing ceiling :O

The flowing water refreshes our float, and autofloat is instantaneous, meaning Peach usually won't die there :O but same goes for tlink with his good recovery and jumps [just avoid the claptrap >___>;;]

Peach bomber auto grabs the ledge when it misses, if you're at the left edge of the stage, Peach's edge guarding game can lead to an early death, the platform allow for easy utilts, etc, etc

This stage is just too good for Peach, ban it :O

other than that? I'd counterpick stages with low ceilings for early v.kills or stages that allow you to abuse your amazing projectile game :O
or a stage that has both if there is one?

Peach really doesn't have a 'bad' stage, so I'd go with stages your comfortable with :O
which will hopefully have low ceilings :O
and to ban stages with high ceilings, as the longer Peach survives, the worse it gets for you :O

Personally, I absolutely HATE Lylat [why does it have to be neutral? DX] and dislike Yoshi's Island :O [though, it usually doesn't affect performance too much, I just dont' like them :/]
Be careful: even though Lylat may reduce our ground float game, it makes our tilts AMAZING :O
and the tilting of the stage can be a hindrance to your projectile game as well

Different people have different feelings and results with the stage and some Peaches seem to rather like it, as float is always horizontal regardless of tilting, 'tiltalicious,' etc

your call on Lylat :3

Main point: Ban JJ. Always. o.o
Counter Pick stages with low ceilings that you're comfortable with :O
try out Lylat and Yoshi's Island if you think it'll help you and your playstyle than it will help Peach's [as each has their own preference :3].
[but again, stages that you're comfortable with]

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
I don't really play any peaches, but how is norfair for a cp? I feel like the lava and ceiling might help tink more

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I'd also want to ask. hows FD for peach? I know that yall would get cought under the stage if ya'll tried to recover vertically and TL and Z-tilt the ledge and avoid the strikes from peaches umbrella attack, though it would be a long wait,seeing as we cound to a footstool Dair, though Dir could be usefull to end it quickly.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I'll get Excel_zero for this. He knows a lot about peach and her matchups, stages, etc, etc. SO he will be able to help.

Cheesewulf

Smash Cadet
I'm not really interested in such really technical stuff, but as a Peach and TLink player I'd say counterpick with Corneria -> low ceiling and it messes up her floating game

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
I would CP FD, Lylat and Pirate ship against her. Ban JJ. Peach really doesnt hate any stages to my knowledge or at least that's what zero once said. So try to go with stages that are good for TL's camping and avoid her dair at all costs. >_>
True. Peach really doesn't hate any specific stages, so just go with big stages to try and outcamp her with Toon Link's projectiles, since that is what really hurts Peach. I'd say Final Destination and Pictochat are good for this purpose.

I'd say Yoshi's Island is more of a hassle to TL than it is to Peach, so avoid it (unless you really like the stage and always perform well there, or something...)

Pirate Ship is my counterpick stage almost always when I use TL, but Peach can be a biatch in this stage since she can space really well in the water (because each time she lands on the water she recovers her float back <3), and because of that she can easily avoid TL's dair. I'd say you can use the stage just for it's big size, since it will help with your projectile spamming.

Small stages like Battlefield will be an advantage for Peach. I'm not really sure about Lylat Cruise, but TL should probably have the advantage there.

Jungle Japes and Delfino Plaza are really good stages for Peach, so don't counterpick her there.

PS: Sheikant sokea!!!!!! (jk <3)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Kays. Peach is done. ^_^:
Thanks Peach mains!
Bitter Romantic uses as many smiles in her posts as I do. >_>;

Onto Pikachu.
=P

iRjOn

Smash Lord
pick a stage with plaforms saves you alotta trouble.
:\
Thunder, TJ, QUACK.
Plaforms help limit these.
Except QUACK it raises it but still limits it.

So Like BF Lylat or Yoshi's brawl
Ban: FD maybe Smashville

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Don't ban Smashville. It has way too much room for you to do that. True that overhead cover will be difficult to find but you should have plenty of room to see a thunder coming anyway. If you can't, well, play more Pikas. It's not that hard to see. You want a lot of space to retreat against a Pikachu since Toon Link can out-camp him.

Counter-pick BF for sure, Lylat is okay but low ceilings are making Pika's job much easier, Yoshi's is a definite CP.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Toon Link cant camp pikachu. Like with any other character that camps, pikachu is only a QAC's distance away from TL. Besides you have a sword, why would you try to camp?

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
True camping isnt that good in this matchup from experience I always go aggro. I know what ur thinking "OMG sheikant aggro D:" lol. CP- FD, pirate ship. Ban- :S undecided.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Don't ban Smashville. It has way too much room for you to do that. True that overhead cover will be difficult to find but you should have plenty of room to see a thunder coming anyway. If you can't, well, play more Pikas. It's not that hard to see. You want a lot of space to retreat against a Pikachu since Toon Link can out-camp him.

Counter-pick BF for sure, Lylat is okay but low ceilings are making Pika's job much easier, Yoshi's is a definite CP.
Moth think Smashville has the smallest space out of the neutrals I believe.
Its not that hard to see untill pikas nasty strange hitstun combos or mind games you into it huh?
Play better pikas moth
Toon Link cant out camp him no one with projectiles can except Falco, Fox and Wolf I think.
But no bigge moth not flaming you man just meh
I still love you though <3 no homo

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Pikachus done. ._.

Pits next.
pew pew pew

Hyro

Smash Lord
Sasuke, can you add Yoshi's Island as another good cp against Peach? I was playing a really good Peach there but they had sooo much trouble trying to float cancel because of the uneven surface.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
lol I was meaning to include that in at first.
No wonder there was a comma and a blank space. xD

Thanks H_R.

Top Bottom