• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Moveset Discussions! Finished, add your thoughts if necessary.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
The move is fairly limited in use, but can be a back-up for Usmash if Usmash is no longer fresh or refreshed.

Also, I'm quite sure it is his quickest smash attack. You might be able to DI down from it and tech, but DI-ing wrong could get you gimped by the glitch that Kizzu found. If you DI away & up from the first slash, you might just fly up a bit and take like what, 6%?

It's an okay move, nothing bad about it other than its range and how knockback only really comes from the second slash. Smash DI tears up Toon Link lol.

Munas

Smash Cadet
I actually find that I use the down smash a lot for punishing momentary openings when I don't have the time to whip out my aerials. It's quick does good damage and sends them flying just enough for you to get the pressure on them in the air, which is where Toon Link likes his enemies to be.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Used of its fullest potential off the edge.
It has great initial knock back, but gets weak after that.
The thing about Toon Link is that he doesn't have those "momentum" moves that like everyone in this games has. =/
Great kill move, especially at levels with close side walls.
Worth saving for the kill. Use Nair to hit people in front of you instead.
It takes a little while coming out though. A bomb -> Fair solves that problem.
You shouldn't FF after using Fair in a SH.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Another great kill move. Has more potential than the bair most definitely if it gets to hit (yah, it comes out pretty slow), although not that bair is used for kill a lot anyways...

I love it. It's a great finisher move, and great for taking care of Snakes.

I mostly use off edge myself, leaving neutral air for on-stage combat.

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
I like to fair-> arrow cancel a lot now. can throw people off since there is startup lag but can be punished if it's read correctly.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Ill update down smash tommorow along with fair when I put up the new move.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Fair is my main space attack. Ending with an arrow cancel of course. Also a great kill move. Its just plain sexy when you run off the ledge and fair them in there face to death !

Ginger_Warrior

Smash Apprentice
A great kill move. I love running off the edge and smacking someone out with an Fair. Such a good feeling! ^_^

It has problems though - it takes a while to come out, and TL brings his sword in front of side which just telegraphs the move to the other player. Gives them plenty of time to get into a shield, and you've just wasted the initial knockback. Should be used in the air, can double with other aerials in case of airdodge.

Can also combo with QD.

Summary:

* Don't use on grounded opponent - easily blocked
* Use Nair/Bair + QD in normal play, Fair for KO
* DI for good position, so other aerials are available.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Move #13 Forward Tilt!

Discuss

(We should be finishing arials and tilts soon, then some of the other moves will come ;])

cougarsrule08

Smash Rookie
Ok, I know that the fsmash was a long time ago, but what I like to do is use the first fsmash and they usually shield waiting on the 2nd one, so I shield quickly and then grab>upthrow>bair>bair>. It is works better at lower percentages obivously because of the throw, but it is very effective as far as something your opponent might not be looking for..

sorry if that was already posted or something similar

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Hits behind you.
Has good horizontal knock back.

It's like Nair on the floor imo.

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
It's good for edgeguarding

and back to fair, IMO i think the best DI'able aerial since you can DI all over the place before the slash comes out.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Ftilt clanks a lot with some moves, even if they're behind you :O

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Ftilt is like a smaller version of Marth's Fsmash. It can kill at high percents if you're really disperate for a kill move. The hitbox behind comes out earlier than the one in front. It can work as a little sword wall in front of you. It's an okay move, great to prevent Olimar Pikmin spam.

My only problem is the fact that it comes out rather slow (comes out on frame 12 for the front, exactly like Marth's Fsmash, lol).

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Fast, great damage, can be a decent kill move. Hits behind you. Just all around perfect =]

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Zear + Neutral Air is good for keeping distance.

I love the combination so much. <3 neutral air.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It hits twice. No one mentioned that yet ;)
Only if they DI in, have bad spacing, or you lunge into them before attacking (risky much?).

But eh, it's a wonderful move. It can kill undiminished. Comes out fast (except for behind, lol), lagless if you don't fastfall, small lag if you do (like 7 frames), can be canceled into a arrow cancel, basically the leading follow up from bombs and Zair.

The only problem is it has a slender as crap hitbox.

It's a staple move of Toon Link. You absolutely cannot live without it if you want to be...I don't know, decent?

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
hey guys im here to ask 1 quick question.... i dont want to make a thread of this...

is this possible with toon link?

Grab-dthrow-bair-bair-uair-jump-upb

?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
hey guys im here to ask 1 quick question.... i dont want to make a thread of this...

is this possible with toon link?

Grab-dthrow-bair-bair-uair-jump-upb

?
Only if the DI Is terrible from the foe's side, then he would get hit by Uair. If you're at lower %s, you can finish off w/ Up+B.

But why would you consider such a thing? Incredibly risky, and doesn't even kill. I can think of better ways to rack up damage. =/

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Good for using over and over against to rack up damage.
Kills pretty well, and has good range.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Wait, there's more!

It can start "c-c-c-combo's"

Or at least lead to the b-air combo.

Edit: Being serious now.. It's a good move and should be implemented into most TL's gameplay. I like juggling everyone around with it.

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
Utilt is actually faster than dsmash. According to this thread, utilt first hits two frames sooner and the back hits 6 frames earlier than dsmash's second hit. Not only that, utilt has much more follow-ups (or if they're below 20%, you could try dsmash into a gimp). You can usually chain it into another utilt or a few bairs. If you use utilt instead of dsmash as a clear-out move, not only can you build up more % (and be more safe), dsmash could be used as a KO move later.

EDIT: When I think about it... this isn't too hard to figure out lol. I hope this at least helps someone though.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I think you can jab cancel -> uptilt, can't you?

i use uptilt sometimes when most people would use jab. uptilt does more damage than jab, so sometimes it's a good idea. Of course, you have to have some sort of opening where you know both a jab and an uptilt will work, but a downsmash or fsmash won't, those can be hard to identify...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yeah it's kinda sad, but you guys already pretty much summed it up. You can juggle with utilt, and ko with upsmash, or you can juggle with upsmash, and ko with utilt. Option 1 is probably better though.

AkaMaruChan

Smash Cadet
Utilt is actually faster than dsmash. According to this thread, utilt first hits two frames sooner and the back hits 6 frames earlier than dsmash's second hit. Not only that, utilt has much more follow-ups (or if they're below 20%, you could try dsmash into a gimp). You can usually chain it into another utilt or a few bairs. If you use utilt instead of dsmash as a clear-out move, not only can you build up more % (and be more safe), dsmash could be used as a KO move later.

EDIT: When I think about it... this isn't too hard to figure out lol. I hope this at least helps someone though.
The dsmash does come out later, but it does more damage, and doesn't have much KO power to begin with. Again stated earlier in this thread, Dsmashes can KO at up to 150%. Utilt has a better KO potential then Dsmash. I throw out my Utilts for substitutes of UpSmashes but I use Dsmash for my clear out move for the most part. A stale Dsmash is a better then a stale upTilt IMHO.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
One of the main kill moves.
Lasts forever.
Has little landing lag, but shouldn't really be used near the ground.
Usually used high in the air (recommended for the kill).
If you can see and airdodge coming, use it like 1 second later for a guaranteed hit.
Good move in general.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
TL becomes a spike and performs '1000 years of pain'. Sometimes if the opponent is stupid it can be 2000 or 3000 years.
Sometimes the opponent never comes back down.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Bomb to Uair is a win.

It's hitbox is great, and KO's well if you hit 'em with the swordshine.

But yah it still lasts a long time after that and still is a good KO.

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
Me thinks the initial hitbocks, when you first stick the sword up, is stronger than the hitbocks when falling.

Top Bottom