• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Moveset Discussions! Finished, add your thoughts if necessary.

Ginger_Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe no one's mentioned this about spin attack - it owns Pikmin!

I find it can be helpful against a particularly spammy Olimar, since the Pikmin suffer their own damage (like IC). If you execute it right, you should be able to punish an Olimar intent on grabbing/throwing Pikmin to death.

It's not something I generally use though.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Move #3: Down Tilt!

Discuss

Also, I can't find a picture of it, could someone get me one?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You can spam it.

That's about all I can think of. It's good agains the sandbag in the wifi practice room...

VietGeek

Smash Hero
The move is a poke move with IASA frames and a decent trip rate at mid to low percentages.

The first hit of jab combo has similar range, and is safer, but Dtilt has decent knockback, a hitbox in the back, and at high percentages, it can lead to an edgeguard since it swoops them low.

However, it's not a very good move. It can be used to zone for a bit, but not really anything noteworthy. It doesn't have anything to follow up to it unless it trips them, and is too short to be a frame trap like Marth's Dtilt.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
lol Dtilt.
okay, what Viet said. =)
done.
jk,jk.

It's pretty good at poking at shield from a distance (better then jab combo imo).
It's good for tripping and punishing rollers.
The IASA frames help a lot so you don't get punished.
It's not THAT bad of a move.

Barge

I really don't use it much, so I wouldn't know much about it.

Btw, anyone got a picture of it? :D

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I really don't use it much, so I wouldn't know much about it.

Btw, anyone got a picture of it? :D
Want me to get pictures of the moves we discuss?

QUIVO

Smash Master
Dtilt can sometimes get underneath the shield, but I don't use it very much. It's a bit slow and laggy for me.

Also, what I do for up b is punish spot dodges and airdodges.
ROBs and MKs can be kinda obvious with when they'll spot dodge.

Also, you can dthrow to up b on the ground. It works if they DI back towards you, which I'd say 65% of the players I've played do. They also airdodge so it's pretty much a hit.

Occasionally if I'm messing around, I'll zair to up b. It works alright.

Barge

Thank you for the pictures! But I only needed down tilt ;)

The fsmash one is nice though :D

Santi

Smash Lord
I dont use Dtilt much.
When I do it's usually mixed with my jabs or when my opponent is on the edge holding their shield and I don't want to try to grab, so I use my jabs and try to get the Dtilt to hit them under their shield.

Then it hits horizontal so they go off the edge and then I attemp to edgeguard =)

Barge

Anything else? I'm going to change the move soon if no one else has anything to say about dtilt

ToonLuigi

Smash Cadet
Well, it can Meteor Smash but only if done correctly, if you hit but in the wrong area they go higher up and can actually have a better time recovering. If you miss it completely, well you've just lost a life. You can pogo-hop on the lower percentages as well, and it has a small shockwave if they are right next to the point of impact. I'm pretty sure it can negate a lot of vertical knockback, and it comes out fast, but its predictable. Can kill at the some of the lower mid-100%s. Decent move when followed by a bomb, because they'll flinch, and if they spot dodge they'll be stuck too. PHEW, done typing..

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You can safely spike people to their deaths if you use it right at the end of the stage, where you just land on the end if you miss. I do it twice in this video; somewhere around the middle, and right at the end.

You can tell a TL is a new player if they use this move A LOT, and if it misses a lot.

However, if you go a game without using it even once, you're probably doing something wrong. Very satisfying and effective way to kill, but never use it offstage unless you're 100% sure you'll hit.

Also, it only spikes directly downward at the start of the move. If you're higher up and use it, it won't knock them down, but up (or something)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Did Asdioh just say I'm doing something wrong...?

N-no, i-it cannot be...I-i will n-not accept this...no...no...

/denial

Barge

You can safely spike people to their deaths if you use it right at the end of the stage, where you just land on the end if you miss. I do it twice in this video; somewhere around the middle, and right at the end.

You can tell a TL is a new player if they use this move A LOT, and if it misses a lot.

However, if you go a game without using it even once, you're probably doing something wrong. Very satisfying and effective way to kill, but never use it offstage unless you're 100% sure you'll hit.

Also, it only spikes directly downward at the start of the move. If you're higher up and use it, it won't knock them down, but up (or something)
I wouldn't go so far as to saying if you don't use it you're doing something wrong.

Barge

I enjoy doing the floating "glitch" if you'd like to call it that, where you're in the air floating whilst preforming the dair animation.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I love the damage it can rack up if your opponent is at a low and you just pogo on there head. Racks about about 50% of damage. Sometimes can lead into a spike : D

Keiogi

Smash Rookie
I find that abuse of his dair is a new Toon Link user's most common bad habit. Most seem to like this move, but I honestly see it as situational as his dtilt (maybe not to that much of an extent, but you get what I'm trying to convey). As a spike, I would very rarely use it during a match if I'm required to be off the edge unless I'm at a really high percentage and hoping to get another stock lead before I get killed.

Really the only uses I've found for it are when you get knocked up into the air (not very far or very quick) and your opponent approaches, throwing a very quick dair is almost unavoidable unless they jump and immedietly midair dodge. Seems to work good for me as long as you don't do it all the time. I'm no Toon Link expert or anything, but I have a lot of friends who use him...and use his dair more than I'd suggest. Never use it when you're way up in the air expecting it to hit. It never will. Its extremely simple to spotdodge, and I've killed countless Toon Links that way. Fast and predictable is still predictable -.-

If I had to give advice about spiking...I generally only do it when I'm hanging from the edge. From there I either just hit the c stick down, or leap backwards a bit and do it. The former, my opponents usually don't see. Also, there are a few people who I would advise that if they're off the edge, that spiking is a good option. Keep in mind, imagine all of these people below the stage for simple spiking: ROB, Diddy, Link, Ganon, Wario.

There are probably more that I can't think of, but if they're stationary, moving straight up, or unable to dodge while they're recovering, I generally try to go for it.

tl;dr- Dair is situational. My least favorite aerial ;-;

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Everything useful I can think of about the dair has been said, but I'll add in this fun fact for discussion.

When TL uses his dair from above and lands on a sloped ground (e.g. in Green Hill Zone), why the **** does he slide a massive distance when his sword appears to be stuck in the ground? It's just never made sense to me.. XD

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
Fsmash is too good of a move to go unused, but:

1) If opponent gets away after first hit (coughpeachcough,) shield cancel the second hit and follow/shield grab.

2) Consider intentionally missing with the first hit to speed up the second hit.

Edit:

I stopped using dair off the ledge due to the simple fact that it's too obvious. So, knowing this, I hop over someone off the ledge, follow them onto the stage and nair/fair. It also grants you time to whip out a bomb or throw a boomerang onto the stage to block off a route of escape.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Move #5 Bomb!

Discuss

Useful in most all situations (unless you got a grenade spamming Snake)

Bombs are the bread and butter projectile of Toon Link, and especially helpful in recoveries if you keep it on yah.

edit: Wow, you're goin pretty fast with these..

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Without bombs, the Links are nothing to me but fodder. ._.

Bombs make the Toon. Is useful for almost everything, from pressure traps to set-ups of all sorts, as well as being a meat of your projectile wall (By far the strongest link to that wall as well).

Barge

Well, no ones really saying anything, which Is why I'm changing them fast. plus Tlink has a lot of moves you know >:O

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
okay but take the matchup disscusion for example it last for a little while before moving on. btw im not complaining im just saying if someone coundnt get online for watever reason for 2 days, they would have missed 3 moves.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Bombs = best projectile.

Zair with a bomb in hand.
JC bomb throw.
Bomb drop
Bomb toss.

It's a dangerous projectile. It can hit people when they're spot dodging, it can hit them through platforms, it can even stage spike.

Bomb's also set up kill moves. Bomb throw down at the opponent and then fastfall uair for the kill. Occasionally bomb to fair will work as well.

One thing I saw soup did when I played him was that he would drop a bomb on the platform, hope you would grab it and then throw another bomb at you.

You can also autocatch your bombs if they hit a shield. This can catch some people off guard and allows you to get extra damage in.

Barge

If your both at high percentages, you can throw a bomb on yourself and your opponent, then uair.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
they are one of the highest if not the highest priority projectile.
ice climbers,mario bros,spacies standard b can be negated by a bomb placed on the ground i think it can block some other projectiles too but idk
also if you throw it at a fully charged standard b from samus then it will cancel it and explode. anything less than full charge it will negate and go through

Barge

I suppose I'll leave the moves up for discussion a bit longer then I have been. 2 days per move seem fair?

Top Bottom