• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Moveset Discussions! Finished, add your thoughts if necessary.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Okay then, I'll change the move when I get home from school everyday.

Barge

This is what I mean, I barely get any responses per move >:O
Anyways, you said once a day, so here it goes

Move #6 UpSmash!

Discuss

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
sorry about forgetting to get the pictures (dumb school). =(

Want me take one of each of his moves right now?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Fsmash is for killing better imo. Usmash is the most used kill move.It kills BEFORE 100% (rare for TL) if you SAVE IT.Toon Links should not waste any kill moves though. Hyphens are awesome. Zair to Usmash doesn't really work for me (at least against people who know what they're doing).

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I find this a useful skill move but highly predictable.

I only use it on opponents with higher percentages than normal, but try not to use it before then, so your opponent would least expect it.

It's a great move, but easily spotdodged for those who know what to do.

One good thing is that it has just about as many as frame rates as TL's Utilt (from what I see..) so it wouldn't be too punishable.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Utilt comes out quicker.

Usmash however, is stronger, can be used as a hyphen smash, as well as canceled into out of shield for defensive uses. It's offensive capabilities are good, comes out pretty quick, has decent priority, and can lead to some juggling at the end of the arc, or for a kill at the base of the arc.

The move has a lot of uses, and that makes it difficult to sustain as a kill move due to how malleable it is into a player's style. Of course, that issue is dependent on the player itself, but whatever.

Easily one of Toon Link's best moves.

TheFast

Smash Lord
I don't understand..anyways, I linked your thread under the About Bomb section. You're welcome :laugh:
I'm Happy :laugh:
I need to update it some more but no1s ever on discussing it anymore :(
I'll have to go on the other characters boards saying i'm having trouble with bombs then add what they say to the guide >.<

I found on heavy characters like Gannon (well characters with slow spot dodges) if you short hop an arrow and dash in with a hyphen smash you can catch them coming out of the dodge animation

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I do the "hyphen smash" quite frequently, and I'm a bit predictable, but it's not all that punishable if you space it fairly well. I usually throw a bomb or boomerang before I run up and smash.

The name "hyphen smash" frustrates me though. Who the hell came up with it?

This is a hyphen: -

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Then why not call it an "Underscore Smash"

You slide _ that much. And it's on the ground, whereas - floats.
Don't get technical with me. Dx
- is shorter then _
So - wins.
And there is no "floor" in text, an I can type under the - and _
So technically, they're both floating.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Call it Vietdashing plz.

Anyway, I heard hyphen meant moving or something in a foreign language, but I can't verify that. =/

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Yes its better to hyphen Smash than the other thingy...
The up smash is mostly used as T.Link's kill move.
Up smash has a bunch of uses but people try to save it as a kill move cuz its the fastest of his strong moves and can be used as a hyphen smash.
I loves it every now and then while trying to utilt i might use it by mistake...

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
His best move?
Its Bair ,what needs to be said?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It chains very well, good in combination with low-percent Utilt/Usmash (remember to regenerate moves ^^) to set up some decent damage build up.

A staple of TL's moveset.

You can retreat with it, do pivoting arrow cancel from it, kill with an undiminished one at high percents as a desperation move, act as bait for traps, gimp, be a wall of pain...

It's like everything. Also it makes the area of Toon Link's head and back a hitbox so you can force force an airdodge to Uair by being slightly below them and doing Bair (top), or pops them in front of you for Nair/Fair if it hits like at the handle/really close to TL's actual back or somewhere near there.

Yeah, Toon Link's blunt spot does weird crap, like a Fair hitting from behind sends them back, lol.

Barge

If this is all I'm getting, I'm going to make it one move every 2 days -_-

Battlewoundz

Smash Cadet
A lot of chars can jump out after the first hit, try not to let it linger so you can get the second hit in asap.

Also, at low %'s after a bair or two instead of doing more bairs, you can do a fsmash. Works fine and is guaranteed .

really helpful knowledge right there.

Keiogi

Smash Rookie
Sort of off topic because I'm late to the party, but I was under the impression it was called a hyphen smash because a hyphen is essentially a dash (some people call it that), so its just another word for dash smash...which makes sense I guess.

Anyway, his bair is obviously what Toon Link is known for. It can be used twice in one short hop, chains into itself at lower percentages. I find that when over near one of the edges, bair-->bair-->ftilt works great for gimping recoveries. So yeah...that's my two cents. Its a safe assumption that if you main Toon Link, you know pretty much all of the basics revolving his bair...since its what he's famous for I guess.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Double bair ftw
RAR
useful for out of shield punishing behind you
arrow after it

also while it is awesome to do double bairs you should not run up to the opponent with the sole aim of double bairing, just use it when the opportunity presents itself

VietGeek

Smash Hero
WTF, Zair doesn't even kill until like 550% or something ridiculously high. <_<

/not playing along and being mean

iRjOn

Smash Lord
lol I just like it better than bair might just be me lol

I didnt even kno zair killed O.O

That makes makes it even GREATER!!

Not saying u can go awhole match with just using it and win lol

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed